Han

Developer Diary, Part 180 - Discussion

Hello everybody,
Today we’ll tell you a bit what is our game is based on rather than how it works from technological point of view - history.
Our community enthusiasts III/JG2_Gustav05 and I./ZG1_Panzerbar were making official skins for Bf 109G-6 for several weeks. Since this Messerschmitt model was the most mass produced one, there were many possible candidates and their thorough research yielded some interesting ones. These paint schemes are interesting not only on their own, but because of the stories tied to these particular aircraft.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 6

amazing Dev Diary! Very interesting to read through! 

Many thanks for the history and the skins. A real real treat.

And I found myself shaking my head in wonder at some of the statistics. I started off thinking, "Wow - 350 sorties. How did he survive all that?" And then the numbers just kept climbing. The things that generation - all sides and nationalities - went through, the things they endured.

• Upvote 1

Nice update. The skins look amazing. I have one suggestion and maybe it's just me, but would it be possible to add some generic squadron skins as well. These would be nice for the career mode and online in general. Not criticisms, just a thought.

Grt M

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure if there is an error here under the title of 05. Elias Paul Kühlein was born on 7 December in Bayreuth, Bavaria.

Half way down I find myself reading about Graf's exploits, is this correct? See relevant information below.

05. Elias Paul Kühlein was born on 7 December in Bayreuth, Bavaria.

post-19-0-53737700-1511522908_thumb.jpg

After completing flight training in the spring of 1942, Unteroffizier Kühlein was sent to 4./JG51, operating on the central sector of the Soviet-German front.

Around the Rzhev-Vyazma area in the summer of 1942, he scored 10 victories, 4 of which were Pe-2s and another 3 Il-2s.

In the autumn, II./ JG51 was withdrawn from the front to reequip with the new Fw-190A. However, the critical situation in North Africa required the transfer of the group to a new theater of operations. Those pilots who had already managed to master the Fw-190 were reduced to Stabstaffel./JG51 and sent to the Eastern Front. The rest of the group, with the exception of the 6th Staffel, received Bf109G-2 and went to North Africa.

During the battles on the Mediterranean theater, Graf was shot down 4 times and claimed 3 victories - one Spitfire and two P-38s.

In the summer of 1943 he fought over Italy, before transferring to the Reich air defense in Austria. There, Graf shot down his first four-engine bomber.

In the spring of 1944 II./JG51 was transferred to the Balkans to engage American four-engine bombers over Yugoslavia and Romania.

From the autumn of 1944, Graf found himself on the Soviet-German front again, this time in Hungary.

On November 16, 1944, Lieutenant Kühlein was named as acting commander of 7./JG51, but already in December transferred to 6./JG51, and commanded the squadron until April 1945, when he was transferred to JG7.

Kühlein flew more than 600 sorties, scored 36 aerial victories including 13 four-engine bombers as well as one Romanian Bf109G. He was awarded the German Cross in Gold.

Unfortunately, little is known about Kühlein post-war life. Since 2011 there has been no information on the life of Elias Kühlein including reports that he had died. It is possible that he is still alive.

Aboard the Bf109G-6 "White 7" W.Nr.163269, Elias Kühlein flew in the spring-summer 1944 over Bulgaria, and scored at least two kills – both B-24s.
Edited by bzc3lk

A sobering but interesting read. Well done for compiling it.

I want to say big thanks to LeR3_Kanttori and Lukas_from_Hell for help on skins descriptions and translation.

And III./JG2_Gustav05, You are the best :) Way to go!

• Upvote 1

I want to say big thanks to LeR3_Kanttori and Lukas_from_Hell for help on skins descriptions and translation.

And III./JG2_Gustav05, You are the best :) Way to go!

Good work on the skins mate! Which ones are yours, and which are Gustav’s?

What a stunning selection of skins! Very well put together and very well done. Big thumbs up to Gustav and Panzer :salute:

Fantastic read as well about the pilots.

Edited by Finkeren

During the battles on the Mediterranean theater, Graf was shot down 4 times and claimed 3 victories - one Spitfire and two P-38s.

In the summer of 1943 he fought over Italy, before transferring to the Reich air defense in Austria. There, Graf shot down his first four-engine bomber.

From the autumn of 1944, Graf found himself on the Soviet-German front again, this time in Hungary.

Thats a result of latenight editing and translating of the text :) Of course, there must be Kuhlein.

Nice skins.

but we have to use skins without the historical correct swastika without custom skins wich are mostly deactivated on servers...

Im not a Nazi.... but I would like to have real historical correct skins.

I hope the devs will shortly enable the Mod On function that we can create and use mods like the swastika enabler for the good old Il2s games.

and since custom skins are not allowed on all servere its not a good alternative

greetings

• Upvote 1

Thats a result of latenight editing and translating of the text :) Of course, there must be Kuhlein.

Np Panzerbar, I was second guessing myself when I read it. :salute:  Beautiful skins.

Cool To learn history behind the skins ! These intels should be displayed in skin selection in game !

One question :

I understand and agree with laws regarding swastika as a nazi symbol, but I struggle to understand why it is banned on Finnish planes. It is not the same symbol, and as nothing to do with Nat-social ideology (this symbol can be found on thousand years old church's in finland.) Just asking because finish planes looks really weird like this .... Is this swastika also covered by some country law ?

All those skins are really nice, BUT, some are  related to ERLA built Bf 109G-6 that is not the one that BoS will offer us ( AFAIK). There are a lot of visual differences between ERLA built and WNF-MTT Reg. aircrafts , not only the camo scheme !

Anyway I will sure be happy to have them, even if they are "what if..."

Research , research, always research... it'll kill me !

Madcop

Thank You - thank You - Thank You!

post-19-0-29166600-1511522959_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the smiling faces of all our about 50 Finnish Virtual Pilots in Lentorykmentti 3 (LeR3, not all in the picture):

Lentolaivue 24 (LLv24):  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

Lentolaivue 26 (LLv26):  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

Lentolaivue 30 (LLv30):  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

Lentolaivue 32 (LLv32):  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

Lentolaivue 34 (LLv34):  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

Edited by LeR3_Kanttori
  • Upvote 3

The community can consider itselve very lucky, that the developers are willing to cooperate with such talented skinners.

Those skins are very brilliant.

I always thought Graf got a bum deal as the war was over so how could he be a collaborator.  I guess he could co-operate but what's the point of continuing to fight the war when the war is over?  So what about medals and handing over his Diamonds (if in fact he did).  They would only have been the paste version with the actual Diamonds hidden at home or something.

von Tom

Nice update. The skins look amazing. I have one suggestion and maybe it's just me, but would it be possible to add some generic squadron skins as well. These would be nice for the career mode and online in general. Not criticisms, just a thought.

Grt M

I think the same I./ZG1_Martijnvdm. It would be good to have generic skins thinking more about "mimic" the camouflage of the plane with respect to the colors of the created maps, which is actually the basic function that pilots look for than those that fly on the On-Line servers. Thx

Well great :angry:  Fanf'intastic.  I had decided that I had enough 109's and passed on buying the G6.  Now you just cost me $15 :o:

02. Karl-Heinz Langer was born on 19.04.1914 in the town of Görlitz in Silesia, Germany.

[...]

Langer survived the war, but died suddenly on May 6, 1955 in Remschied.

Thank you very much for this friday update! I'm looking forward to next friday for the La-5 FN-themed one!

Regarding Langer's place of death, I'm pretty sure it's spelled "Remscheid" with Germany's highest steel railroad bridge and the nearby Burg Castle.

[edit] Blooddawn and Atlan should agree. Hi neighbors!

Edited by ADorante

In the USA we just celebrated the holiday of Thanksgiving.  I'm thankful for Jason, the Development Team, and this outstanding World War Two combat flight simulation game.  The attention to detail in the graphics of the Bf-109G6 Gustavs is amazing.  Bravo and S!

Edited by No105_Swoose

Thank you very much for this friday update! I'm looking forward to next friday for the La-5 FN-themed one!

Regarding Langer's place of death, I'm pretty sure it's spelled "Remscheid" with Germany's highest steel railroad bridge and the nearby Burg Castle.

[edit] Blooddawn and Atlan should agree. Hi neighbors!

Always nice to meet folks from the same region in an international forum.

Remscheid is correct.

The city is also known for an Accident, that occurred in the mid 80s. An A-10 went down in bad weather conditions within the city limits with many people killed back then.

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Good stuff as always! Thanks!
It was a great pleasure to see you shared information about Hungarian pilots too. 
Rest in peace, Forgotten Heroes!

• Upvote 1