Sign in to follow this  
sc0ch

dornier do 335 for bodenplatte

Occasionally folks mention that the German fighter stable consists primarily of 109 and 190 variants. 

Although there's probably a shortage of performance data, the dornier do 335 might add some diversity.

Just a thought, although I suspect the aircraft was active after Bodenplatte.

:lol: 

It was never active after Bodenplatte. C'mon, even a basic Wikipedia search will tell you that.

Not to rain on your do 335 parade but if the Dev's get the chance to add another aircraft I "really" hope they add this.

Edit but I'd opt for a flyable B-25 too.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
  • Upvote 4

I wouldn't mind a SWOTL version of IL2 someday. I love what if scenarios in flight sims. But I'd like to see it balanced to include some Allied secret weapons as well as very late war designs. P-80s, Vampires, the last versions of Spits, P-47s, P-51s etc. Too many believe the Germans were the only ones who were looking to the future in 1945.

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 3

I wouldn't mind it but there are other combat aircraft that could be added that had a real impact in the war.  A 1946 scenario is certainly something to look forward to but I am not even sure the 335 has any combat record to speak of.  I don't think it really ever progressed beyond the prototype stage. 

I wouldn't mind it but there are other combat aircraft that could be added that had a real impact in the war.  A 1946 scenario is certainly something to look forward to but I am not even sure the 335 has any combat record to speak of.  I don't think it really ever progressed beyond the prototype stage. 

The only time anyone encountered one was apparently Pierre Clostermann and his flight of four planes, in April 1945. The plane promptly sped off and was soon gone from sight.

Edited by LukeFF

I wouldn't mind a SWOTL version of IL2 someday. I love what if scenarios in flight sims. But I'd like to see it balanced to include some Allied secret weapons as well as very late war designs. P-80s, Vampires, the last versions of Spits, P-47s, P-51s etc. Too many believe the Germans were the only ones who were looking to the future in 1945.

The problem is finding reliable data. It is easy to put  up how an up powered version of  a plane would fly , but planes that were never really flown are hard to make a good simulation of.

We could very well see someday in distant future an expansion with 801F powered Fw190A9 for example and get a pretty believable result (and is a quite feasible thing sicen it coudl very well get into production with a 2 months longer war). The Do335 on other hand.. is much much harder to make it right.

The allies on other hand do not need that many what if planes since most of their planes DID had yet another version released just after the war ended and could be used.

If you get chance go see the one at the Udvar-Hazy museum next to Dulles airport. Standing near it lets you get a feel of just what an awesome sight that aircraft is in the flesh. If I can dig out my photo`s of it I`ll post them.

This is roughly the 5th post of complaining regarding Luftwaffe aircraft whether it's something not in game, the wrong variant, how bad the FM will be....

And people wonder where that "term" comes from and acting as if it's something with no foundation.

Anyone listen to Jason's Q&A? Good Lord the amount of whining about German birds was disturbing.

• Upvote 1

"[...] Not getting a XIV or XVI was bad enough but making the the IX as bad as it can be when we will be going against flippin K4's and D9's in it (Yes the reds have the tempest but that doesn't mean the other non American plane needs to be worse?  :dry:   

Gyro gunsight

25lb boost

E type wing

Pointed Tail

And if it was historically correct automatic prop pitch control..

Come on guys don't kill the spit  :dash:  "

excerpt from "Spitfire discussion" 

please stop it, nobody wants your toxic and silly lables here.

ever heard the "term" Luftwhiner-whiner?

This is roughly the 5th post of complaining regarding Luftwaffe aircraft whether it's something not in game, the wrong variant, how bad the FM will be....

And people wonder where that "term" comes from and acting as if it's something with no foundation.

Anyone listen to Jason's Q&A? Good Lord the amount of whining about German birds was disturbing.

You must have missed the numerous threads asking for more/better Allied aircraft. Where's my Spit XIV, where's my Mosquito, where's my B-17, etc. etc.

But yeah, it's only a problem when German side does it, right?

Where's my Spit XIV

Compare it to asking for the A9 and the Do335 in an already good lineup... and I was forgetting people already labeling the G-14 the next "brick"

where's my Mosquito

It was a good (not "better") plane to include as a twin-engine. Maybe we can balance the planeset taking out the 262 for a Me410 ;)

where's my B-17, etc. etc.

I am pretty sure that more than half of the people asking for it are mainly german player :) Edited by Alexmarine28

I'm uninterested in detracting from the announced releases, which are fantastic, or whining about German aircraft.  I fly Russian.  Just floating an idea.

I strongly suspect that aircraft models in the game are rooted in the state space, or extended state space.  The AI likely flies by model predictive control.  Reference trajectories are probably dictated by the tactical situation.

Indeed, building a similar Do 335 model from little to no performance information would require additional work.  Jason could recruit some aerospace undergraduates to build a wind tunnel model and collect the data needed for parameterization.  Fluid dynamic simulation is another option, although probably intractable.

That's probably not anything that would happen soon, but it's perfectly possible (and great fun!).