Rift Core 2.0 coming to Oculus soon

This is one thing I am really excited about coming to the Oculus Rift hopefully in Dec.

I know we talked a little about it during Oculus Connect 4 where it was introduced.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rift-core/

I am excited at the possibilities this will bring. The thought of being able to fly in my PWCG campaign without the need of having to remove my headset to report mission results and schedule the next mission is very appealing.

Or do most anything without at least having to remove the headset so much.

Or do most anything without at least having to remove the headset so much.

Me too!  Not only do I have to take off my headset, I have to put reading glasses on to read the screen.

The people using VR realize it's the future,  I find it hard to play any 2d on screen game these days. 

Me too!  Not only do I have to take off my headset, I have to put reading glasses on to read the screen.

The people using VR realize it's the future,  I find it hard to play any 2d on screen game these days. 

Yep me too regarding the reading glasses, so nice not to need them in VR. 

Humm, from what I read I didn't see anything that might help optimization inside of existing game.  This will add nice functionality for navigating, but I was hoping for some optimization and better interface with Steam and such. 

Any optimizations typically come in the Oculus software updates. They never really say what they are, just optimizations listed in general terms.

As is, I'm doubtful the overlays will work within this game, it's not even optimized for VR yet.  Still running double desktop like cardboard, a huge resource pig even sitting in the menu, almost no common third party apps are compatible.

Not sure exactly what you mean by much of this.  The menus work fine for me (maybe they are a resource hog in some way but since nothing is going on but looking at the menu I'm not sure why it would matter).  And I'm not sure what third party apps you are wanting to but haven't gotten to work with BoX in VR - I didn't have any trouble getting OVRdrop to work along with a browser and/or with MS Photos to put a mini-map into BoX in VR, so I'm not sure offhand why the overlays in the OR software wouldn't be likely to work for BoX.  But I guess we shall see soon.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

if Dash would allow me to use team-speak in VR, or any other windows application i have running (or not) - this would definitely be a plus! The little text description blurp about Dash suggests it... how it'll actually work is a different thing. It'd be nice to use keyboard and a mouse on top of the controllers as well.

Does this mean I will be able to use the Mission planner from within the Rift?  :huh:

If you mean the IL-2 Missionplanner web site tool, OVRdrop will already let you use that while in BoX, so based on what I've read about this upcoming Core 2.0 thing it sounds like it will also let you do that (and hopefully be able to eliminate the need for OVRdrop, since that does seem to impose a bit of a performance hit).

Well today is supposed to be the day, that this begins to roll out. Not sure if it will be a gradual rollout like typical Oculus Home updates are or what. I do know one needs to be signed up for the beta in order to get it when it does become available.

I have not decided whether to take the plunge with the initial beta release yet, may wait to see some early reports...

Going to be interesting to hear some feedback on this once some folks get their hands on it.

Now this is way cool!

Grab things and move around with hands ( Touch ), bring desktop monitor or monitors into VR.

Very early on but liking what I am seeing.

You can also teleport all around within the Home environment. Been trying to shoot some hoops lol

Edited by dburne

Now this is way cool!

Grab things and move around with hands ( Touch ), bring desktop monitor or monitors into VR.

Very early on but liking what I am seeing.

You can also teleport all around within the Home environment. Been trying to shoot some hoops lol

cool, i just got an e-mail from them as well..

can't wait to try it. My pc monitor is away from the cockpit vr setup I have so the desktop access thru VR is definitely a huge plus!

Have not had a chance to test performance, still learning my way around in the Dash environment.

I have tested both IL-2 and DCS as far as launching the games, they both launch fine from within Dash with headset on.

I would not imagine it would hurt performance, launching from within the environment seems to close out the environment and minimize Oculus Home, after exiting the game and closing Steam VR the environment opened back up and Dash came back in.

Edited by dburne

You cant bring the desktops into ones game but it can be accessed without removing the headset.

Tbh i find it easier to hoik the set onto my forehead to use me keyboard.

That said, its a definite step forward.

Ok so I just did the following:

Put my Oculus Headset on, launched BOS.

When at Main Menu, hit the Oculus button and opened my desktop in VR.

Launched PWCG , and created a mission in my current campaign.

Minimized PWCG, hit Oculus Button again which put me back into Hangar.

Launched and flew my PWCG Mission.

After landing and exiting the mission, hit Oculus button again to get back into PWCG. Submitted my claims and read the AAR in my Rift.

All above done, with no need to remove headset

Also, whilst would be hard to say from one mission, I will say it " appears" to be giving me a little better performance. Certainly did not lose anything.

I am pretty thrilled!

Edited by dburne

Man this new software sure makes flying a PWCG campaign a lot less cumbersome . Just flew three consecutive missions without ever taking the headset off. Submitting claims and generating missions with the headset on is now a breeze. 

Man this new software sure makes flying a PWCG campaign a lot less cumbersome . Just flew three consecutive missions without ever taking the headset off. Submitting claims and generating missions with the headset on is now a breeze. 

Hello mate...I'm working my way through both BOS and BOM campaigns and its like groundhog day...I'm only coming back for the immersion .Is the PWCG a game changer for SP players. I don't do multiplayer.

cheers

Hello mate...I'm working my way through both BOS and BOM campaigns and its like groundhog day...I'm only coming back for the immersion .Is the PWCG a game changer for SP players. I don't do multiplayer.

cheers

Well I will tell you, I did  both parts of the Stalingrad Campaign. I flew a couple of the scripted campaigns, which are pretty good. Like Ivan's War, and Blazing Steppe.  I have flown 187 missions so far in my first PWCG campaign and am absolutely loving it.

If you are a SP only guy, I highly recommend giving PWCG a whirl. It is definitely better than the stock campaigns. We will be getting a new campaign system from the devs hopefully before too much longer which will be nice also. I see myself as going to be utilizing both a lot going forward,

• Upvote 1

It's beta only I think, so you have to opt in to get it. It has a little bit of novelty such as the ability to insert old school game cartidges into a console to start a Rift game. But the biggest thing is the virtual desktop. That's immensly helpful tbh, though I wish there was a popup keyboard for it. Such a thing wouldn't be of much use for sitting games since the real keyboard is right there, but for roomscale stuff it would be nice to have.

Wow - and I thought OVRdrop was difficult to figure out at first.  This is impenetrable.  Obviously going to have to read up on how to interact with this thing, as nothing came naturally at all in my first run through.  I got my desktop to open up in Home, and managed to open up my map image in Windows' image applet (that I was using with OVRdrop to put the map in the game).  However, it opened up full screen and I couldn't figure out how to resize the window using the touch controller.  I couldn't see the mouse cursor on screen (possibly one of their "known issues"), so I had to peek out the nose gap and use the mouse to resize the map image window to roughly what I've been using and put it down in the bottom right corner like I usually do with OVRdrop.

Then I started IL-2, and realized I had an issue because starting SteamVR also started OVRdrop automatically, so I had to close out OVRdrop manually.  The game started up OK, but I never could figure out how to get to and bring up the map image on top of the game's screen.  

If I can eventually figure out how to get this to overlay a map image into IL-2 without a performance hit, that will be great, but the other problem I realized I'm going to have is that OVRdrop has a nifty "crop" function that lets me trim off all the menu bar crap from the Windows image applet so all I see in game is the map itself - I'm not sure if this new Oculus/Dash thing has a similar functionality (nothing I've read so far would seem to indicate that it does), which means I'll have to figure out some other way to display the map image so it doesn't have a lot of jarring computer stuff around the edges.

Too late to play around with it any more tonight - will try again tomorrow after I read up some more on how this thing is supposed to work.

Hi guys,

What am I missing? I've opted in to the Beta and it says the Update is Queued. (Although the what's new says Oculus v1.21.0 and I already have that installed)

I see it flash on screen a quick download of a file, then it goes back to Queued status?

Am I just being impatient - I've been waiting for an hour or more...?

Thanks,

'monsta

EDIT: Full uninstall and reinstall of the Oculus Software seems to have cured it. Download now progressing. Looking forward to checking out 2.0! Cheers!!

Edited by wheeliemonsta

Wow - and I thought OVRdrop was difficult to figure out at first.  This is impenetrable.  Obviously going to have to read up on how to interact with this thing, as nothing came naturally at all in my first run through.  I got my desktop to open up in Home, and managed to open up my map image in Windows' image applet (that I was using with OVRdrop to put the map in the game).  However, it opened up full screen and I couldn't figure out how to resize the window using the touch controller.  I couldn't see the mouse cursor on screen (possibly one of their "known issues"), so I had to peek out the nose gap and use the mouse to resize the map image window to roughly what I've been using and put it down in the bottom right corner like I usually do with OVRdrop.

Yes, missing mouse cursor is a known bug.

I got the new update. Have you guys already figured out how to use il2missionplanner or other webpages in the Rift now ?

You can bring up your desktop in VR , bottom toolbar over towards the right. I use it for working with my PWCG campaign whilst still in VR with BoS running. 

Edited by dburne

This isn't an issue for BoS since it uses steamVR, but the guardian walls are now way too sensitive. They go off if I move my hands within a few feet of the boundries, which is a problem given that I basically have a standing play area. Just thought I'd mention it before too many hop on the the new beta.