Tuesday

IL-2 1946 50% crash

If you are experiencing the dreaded 50% crash when trying to launch IL-2 1946, try these two steps:

1)  Confirm that the screen resolution in your game configuration file is correct to your monitor resolution: ie. if running 1920x1080, make sure the game isn't trying to load something other like 1200x768.

2)  Be PATIENT!  If your conf.ini file is correct, then simply let the game run.  It will hang on 50% for awhile and your computer may become unresponsive.  I leave the room and come back a couple minutes later to find the intro movie playing.  Great time to get a beer. 

Original Post:

Spoiler

Anybody know what causes the 50% crash at the splash screen?

I've tried contacting 1C support but they sent me a generic e-mail about Cliffs of Dover and firewall / antivirus... not 1946.

Before I wouldn't even get the splash screen, and as soon as I launched the game the computer would become unbelievably slow (it took 2 minutes to open task manager, every time).  I fixed this by changing the resolution in the conf.ini file back to my screen size.  At least now the game launches and splash screen opens, until it crashes at 50%.

I've tried clean installs, used different hard drives, and deleted that bloody BUTTONS file.

Any ideas?  Bueller?

Edited by Tuesday

Hi!

Have you checked if on the line

[rts]

ProcessAffinityMask=0

in the conf.ini  a    " ; " is there???

when you did a clear install it is created by default (if I remeber correctly) :

[rts]

;ProcessAffinityMask=0

erase the " ; " and forget to use the " il2 setup.exe " 

all the settings must be done in the "conf.ini" directly

this is my video settings the usually works

[window]
width=1920
height=1080
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0
WideScreenFoV=1
UIColor=0
UIDetail=1
UIBackground=rnd

if you have done the clear install from the DVD, the " il2fb.exe " must be replaced by the one that works without the DVD
( at the 1C forum should be found the right one in the IL2- 1946 download section )

hoping to be useful
and....

Good Luck!
Caster
  • Upvote 1

Hi 19//Tuesday

it's a pity  that you haven't done a full copy  of the old Il-2 folder in  another HW (usbkey or external HD for exampl.)

I've done many of mine, Clear or modded, and all of them are running without probs on every compy 

i've directly pulgged in (no installation required) . The virgin Il-2 install that doesn't work, is a strange thing, a good idea could be running the "il2fb.exe" as aministrator and as  win XP sys

Good Luck!

Caster

Edited by ITAF_Caster

Tried all your suggestions but unfortunately none work.  I'm stumped, to say the least.

Thank you for taking the time to help! 

no warning during the installation appears ???

have you look 'round this adrs:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/compatabilty-issues-with-older-games-il-2/b3708b27-0932-4df5-84cb-da6fb3bb1202?page=2&auth=1

check it  if you don't....... who knows.... ;-)

and......

Good Luck!

Edited by ITAF_Caster

Hi,

I think the problem you have has nothing to do with you config.ini. What you describe and your mentioning of a buttons file

tells me that you have a modded installation of your IL2 1946. Right?

This is quite common if you have installed modded planes, maps or other parts in your game and there are some missing

files needed to run the mods properly. The game starts to load and you see the percentage growing up on your splash

screen until it crashes at 50%. During the loading process game gathers all needed files and if a specific file for a mod

is missing, the game crashes. Sometimes the issue is not only related to missing files, but can also occur when one of

the ini files is not complete or has false informations (static.ini, planes.ini, weapons.ini etc.)

Check the forum of www.sas1946.com/main/index.php and see section BAT. Here you can find all mods you want and

a lot of information from one hand.

Do a vanilla installation of your game with all the patches - start this game and check if it runs flawlessly. If OK, then

make a copy of it and start the mods installation step by step.

Cheers

Edited by EAF_T_Therion

Hi,

I think the problem you have has nothing to do with you config.ini. What you describe and your mentioning of a buttons file

tells me that you have a modded installation of your IL2 1946. Right?

Hi Therion,

I've done a clean install of the vanilla game a few times with the same result, unfortunately. 

Killerfliege helped me correct a few lines in my conf.ini which got the game to launch once, but when I restarted the game, it continued to crash at 50%.

I am beginning to think it is only video card related, because he changed a few lines which involved Nvidia cards (whereas I use AMD).  Not sure why it wouldn't launch again when I simply dropped in the "working" conf.ini again to replace the previous.

no warning during the installation appears ???

have you look 'round this adrs:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/compatabilty-issues-with-older-games-il-2/b3708b27-0932-4df5-84cb-da6fb3bb1202?page=2&auth=1

check it  if you don't....... who knows.... ;-)

and......

Good Luck!

Thanks again Caster, I already looked through this page before putting out the call here for help! 

Nope, no warning during installation.  We got it to launch once but it is again having the 50% crash again. 

So you're telling me, that the simple installation (vanilla + patches) does not work? Strange, this should work

or are you using fully outdated graphic card? I hope not, because I remember quite well that AMD user had

some issues with their cards - but this was mainly addressed and fixed.

I suppose you can run other applications without any issues related to your graphic card, can't you?

So you're telling me, that the simple installation (vanilla + patches) does not work? Strange, this should work

or are you using fully outdated graphic card? I hope not, because I remember quite well that AMD user had

some issues with their cards - but this was mainly addressed and fixed.

I suppose you can run other applications without any issues related to your graphic card, can't you?

That is correct.  Running an Rx480 updated to the latest stable drivers.

I'm thinking that despite being set to Read Only, my conf.ini file might be changing its values when the il2fb.exe is launched.  Not sure why that would happen but it's the only thing I can think of at this point.

Fixed it:  there must have been a bug with the folder that was preventing files within it to be set to Read Only.  Deleted some files at random, re-validated through Steam, and somehow it fixed it.  Putting all values that ended with NV to 0 since I use an AMD card fixed it.  Thanks to you both and Killerfliege for the help!!!!!

Edited by 19//Tuesday