HagarTheHorrible

BoB, BoBp, BoBo, BoBop, BoXBp

I think we really need to nail down an acronym for Boddenplatte.

BoB is just too much like another battle and is bound to cause confusion, especially for casual forum fly-by's.

• Upvote 1

Jason has said he and the team prefer it be referred to as BOBP

Cheers Dakpilot

I don't much care for nor understand the obsessive need for the "Battle of" prefix all the time.  Particularly in this case where it doesn't work with Operation Bodenplatte.

• Upvote 4

Why not just!

IL2 BAS      Battle for Air Superiority (Operation BadenPlatte)

Or

IL2 BOE     Battle(s) Over Europe (Operation BasePlate)

At least with the latter one it can be used under the Great Battles banner that Jason mentioned in his announcement and any additional Operations over Europe could be captured under one main title instead of having to keep thinking up new titles all of the time!?

Just a thought!

An interesting read http://donhollway.com/bodenplatte/

You can click the small aircraft under the tail strips section to read about their involvement!!

BB-8 I guess has already been taken!!!!!!!

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

I don't much care for nor understand the obsessive need for the "Battle of" prefix all the time.  Particularly in this case where it doesn't work with Operation Bodenplatte.

Well the whole 'IL-2'  bit doesn't really work when you get out of Russia, but we cope. Just go with it. 

Well the whole 'IL-2'  bit doesn't really work when you get out of Russia, but we cope. Just go with it. 

'IL2 ' is a brand name and is known to anyone who has followed the WWII aviation scene... it has served the people who worked to produce that brand well.

As to the naming of the next release, I'm happy to leave it in the hands of the people who are making the thing, it's their baby, not ours...

• Upvote 1

I wasn't comfortable with "IL2 sturmovik" brand used from very beginning. The team can be proud enough of their RoF brand and could continue to use it. To get away from bad taste that ClOD created and also from obligations towards diehard fans of old series. But as FIV wrote above,sticking to "Battle of..." nomenclature is a bit weird,mainly in this particular case. Going just with "IL2 Sturmovik: Operation Bodenplatte" gives much sense to me.

• Upvote 1

Really amazing how many people care so much about a name. They could call it New WW2 Flying Game Based on Rise of Flight: Chapter 4 for all I care. It will still be awesome and I would still buy it.

I guess so Trooper. We can at least be grateful it doesn’t have the hopelessly blandeloquent “Wings Over..” before every title.

I would have thought that BoXBp or BoX/Bp would have made the most sense, in an anally pedantic sort of a way. BoB, even with a "P", is still to close to, and might cause confusion with IL2 CLOD when it comes to lazy Internet search engine searches. All Maps could then use the suffix to differentiate between maps while still having a easily identifiable collective an acronym, such as BoX/Mo, BoX/Ku, BoX/St etc etc.

BoX is the catch all, with the "X" standing for the collective maps and with Boddenplatte being an Operation, rather than a battle it would make logical sense to forward slash and then suffix it with the Operation. That way, if any further official Campaigns or Operations were created the suffix can easily be changed without increasing confusion ?

Really amazing how many people care so much about a name. They could call it New WW2 Flying Game Based on Rise of Flight: Chapter 4 for all I care. It will still be awesome and I would still buy it.

I always liked the idea of RoF2 being called "RoF RoF..............The Dogs bollocks". The cover art work could then have a Bulldog sniffing the rear end of a Dachund sniffing a Poodles rear end, obviously all in appropriate WW1 helmets etc. All very appropriate given the obsession at the time with dog breeds summing up National identity traits and of course who can forget Snoopy's epic battles with the Red Baron. Edited by HagarTheHorrible

I agree. OB or BP both roll off the tongue very nicely. Otherwise I’m sticking with BoBo. It’s really not a big deal, is it? Call it what you want. I like the simple elegance of a two syllable shorthand.

As an old friend (a USAF doctor at the time) liked to say, “fighter pilots have a hard time with multi-syllabic words...like mayonnaise.”

I would go for AEP - Ace Expansion pack, just for good old times Sake.

Il-2 BoX (Battle of whateverthefiretruck)

Guest deleted@30725

In steam it will be called 'DLC' so pretty obvious that it's different.

Battle of Operation Boddenplatte.

BoOB  :biggrin: 

I think you're right, one is usually bigger than the other.   ;) 

• Upvote 1