Best preview we can expect of the BoS map (vid of RoF Channel map by fruitbat)

Freycinet

Fruitbat posted a video in my Me-110 video thread that I think deserves a wider audience.

It is probably the best preview we can get of the quality to be expected from the Stalingrad map, since we're just a little over a year out from release... - Of course there'll be a bit more snow in the BoS map, but the quality will, I guess, be similar.

I love the new map and love ROF but there are a few things that "annoy" me.. Just like in org. IL2 fields are in general too big. They should be smaller and there should be more of them. Maybd like the french side in CLOD. That looks more realistic. Also the water in the new channel map looks a little too pacific blue although it does look increndibly amazing.

This reminds me.. I must try the new channel map with overcast and rain! :)

Edited by Kling

Thank you, Freycinet. Comparison of these 2 videos shows in which areas there is a room for improvement. Makes easier to notice and pay attention.

(IMHO it is lighting and shading of landscape, trees, houses, sky and clouds.)

I would also say that there is room for improvement when it comes to the general "richness" of the landscape: simply the number of objects. But I know RoF is aiming for medium computers to be able to run the sim... Would be nice if the tree and building density could be scaleable. Also some more variation in ground colour would be nice, since fields have different colours... 

• Upvote 1

But I know RoF is aiming for medium computers to be able to run the sim...

IMHO this can not be used as an excuse to go for medium quality or unoptimized engine (just to save time and money). A game must run on medium computer on medium settings, not on maxed out settings. It must run maxed out only on top hardware available if it wants to last for a year or 2 after release.

Today's top videocard will be medium in 1.5 years. With my dated 3+ y.o. below-medium ATI4890 2GB I can run any modern sim/game including RoF, CloD, WT, ArmA2, etc. (did not try DCS yet) in 1680x1050. It does not mean I should be able to run them maxed out in 1900x1200.

New audience like WT players will not accept dated graphics imho and the genre can not survive without this new younger audience. Speaking of 2013 game a GTX660ti which is medium range card today should run it only on medium settings and GTX780 should be required to run in maxed out in full HD 1080p.

I understand that 1C does not want to invest more money but the same problem left CloD unfinished. "He, who is greedy, will have to pay twice" again I am afraid.

PS. I was not able to run RoF when it first came out because I had a single-core CPU and that was fine because it had a modern engine for 2009 which allowed it to last so long.

Edited by Ataros

This pertains to RoF but I think is of relevance to BoS so will keep it in here for now. Feel free to PM me if you disagree.

Anyway, very nice to see. I never got to play CoD so can't say how it compares, and the footage is all shot from pretty low alt (not a criticism, FB  - I know what those old planes are like to limb in :P ) but I really liked the detail and the arrangement of the towns. Terraced houses, some with backyards adjoining. The scale of things looked pretty consistent. Trees are big, but not like in shots I've seen in WOP or WOT where they tower over the houses. 

It'd be interesting to see the map with different lighting and weather effects to see how the colours change.

As mentioned above, more stuff is always better in terms of looks, but getting the map running and playable on a range of systems is more important (to me).

79_vRAF_Friendly_flyer

The town looks very nice and British, seem the 777 have done their homework, look forward to seeing Stalingrad!

One thing I noticed, that also plagued even the nicest IL2 maps, is the very neat and lined up looks of industrial and small houses areas. In real life, small scale industry and housing isn't that well lined up, each house often being slightly out of line with the next. Here's some shots from Google Earth showing relevant areas:

Small scale industry, Spain (modern):

SmallscaleindustryMadrid.jpg

English village:

Englishvillage.jpg

Victorian sheds and wartime buildings, Docklands, London:

SmallscaleindustryLondon.jpg

1940's small scale industry (note the two Nissen huts), Newcastle:

OldindustryEdinburgh.jpg

Large scale post-war industry (Hungary):

OldindustryBudapest.jpg

My own attempt at recreating the 1940's industrial look, using just 10 different objects (IL2, SAS modds):

FactoryV.jpg

FactoryI.jpg

Staggered.jpg

Edited by Friendly_flyer

I would much rather fly over a map like this than fly over a buggy, choppy tech-demo that ultimatly fails like CLoD did.

Sorry either you did not try the latest patch or have a PC much worse than mine. CloD will not fail till another modern flight-sim engine is developed. Community will only grow as people will upgrade their dated hardware.

Just checked: 57 people are enjoying CloD on ATAG at this very moment http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/atag_dev/index.php

And this is a weekday night.

Is it really worth getting another thread locked over daft 'my game is better than yours' arguments? I doubt it. It is Boxing Day, many people are on holiday, enjoying themselves. A few are flying multiplayer air combat sims. Some with CloD, Some with IL-2 '46. Some with RoF:

RoFonline26Dec2012-21-35_zps105ae1ce.png

We should be grateful we have the choice...

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Maps are not just about technology. They are also about artwork and time to add detail. Threads like this are just excuses to troll and cause arguments. Considering they had 8 years to build the CLOD map and we had 4 months I think we did really good. I plan to work with 3rd parties who want to improve different aspects of our Channel map just like I did with the Western Front map. We also made DiFis's Fantasy Island map available for all as well and using completely non-island type textures and models made a really nice, fun map. http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=34283 

I'm confident our team will make a strong map that will convey Stalingrad in a convincing way. Expect a lot of white cause that was a bad winter in 42-43.

I'm closing this one because it's already off the rails.

Jason.

• Upvote 1