SAG

Where are the bombers?

Folks, I know some of you are set in your ways and that's just how its going to be but different scenarios and theaters open up different possibilities. The Western Front tactical air war was very much fought by fighter-bombers (though not exclusively). I know they look like fighters to you guys but its a whole close air support vibe that you get from flying these types of aircraft. Not that different in some ways from the Stuka and IL-2 earlier in the war but with higher performance and some different weapons and employment techniques.

The simple fact is that things changed in the air war over time and pilots had to change to accommodate them. I'd love to see a B-25 and say a Do217 flyable ship with this. At least one of them would be a historical match... But those are complex aircraft and the devs have limits. I accept those limitations and have to move on.

On the Blue side if you really want to fly a bomber there's nothing wrong with the Ju88A-4 in this scenario. It was flown during this battle although not typically employed as a bomber during it. This was still very much an aircraft flown by the few remaining bomber units of the Luftwaffe and still a typical sight on the West front nearly to the end. Red has fewer strictly bomber related offerings but then again I'd say that your best bet is to take something like the P-47 which was heavily employed in the attack role and get comfortable flying that, not as a high altitude fighter superiority pilot like some will, but as a specialized attacker.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1

German bomber pilots checked out in planes like FW-190's and such?

Yeah I know. I was hoping this time era would wait. I got a bit carried away , I am over it. Working long hours and weekends, my temper was a bit too uncontrolled.

Thing is, I need to prioritise my time in this hobby, have no time for planes not ringing my bell. I was so looking forward to Dauntless , Kate and Devastator and carrier based operations.

Now I am curious about how they gonna model the 262 , it got to be a bomber version or choice for that version , I be all right. I did not mean any disrespect, all tho I can understand it as read as such 

At this stage of the war, weren't many of the German bomber pilots checked out in planes like FW-190's and such?

Yes, especially in the West, the Luftwaffe bomber force was but a shadow of its former self. Most bomber units by the fall of 1944 had been disbanded and their pilots redistributed to the fighter formations. Some of the notable exceptions to this were KG 51 (who converted to the Me 262 A-2 fighter-bomber) and KG 76 (converted to the Ar 234). It really was a tactical air war on both sides by this time, with both sides flying a heavy helping of ground attack sorties with their fighters.

Edited by LukeFF

Well even if there are no modern bombers i am sure we will still be able to fly old 110, 87, 88, 111. I don't think it will make much difference. Tho I would like to see Me 210, even as premium, after all allies got p38 :/

Tho I would like to see Me 210, even as premium, after all allies got p38 :/

The Me 210 was a pile of garbage. 

• Upvote 1

it may depends on its Version....

and i wonder why "we need a Bomber" guys want a Me410.....ist just a fighterbomber - it cant even close its bombdoors totaly with 2 SC500 loaded :D

an Fw190F-8 (i guess you can make one out of a BoBo A-8) is more suitable , it even can fire Panzerblitz rockets

and true, if one REALY want fly a horizontal bomber online...he can use (if he has the games ;) ) an already existing Ju88A-4 or He111H. It makes not much difference , as already said , the more timerelated Luftwaffe Bombers (that didnt flew at daylight in the west anymore except the Arado...) would be massacred too by the fast and heavily armed allied fighters ( P-47 = 100rps IIRC ).

the allied side...well, there is only the A-20. good enough too i guess.
( sure an A-20G would be welcome ;) )

Edited by III/JG53Frankyboy

I meant 410 :P little mistake

Because it has way more ammo than any fighter, it's better to attack bombers with it and you can always lose one engine and still be able to fly :P

And don't forget that this game is not multiplayer only, I have lots of fun doing night missions in 110 in single player. Multi is not close to realism with many people doing kamikadze runs or flying all over map randomly, attacking spawn AF alone as fighter etc.

I would love to fly 410 in night for carrier mode.

Edited by InProgress

Was the 110G-2 still kicking around during Bodenplatte? It was the stop-gap measure that ended up being a fairly popular aircraft despite it filling in for the failure of the Me210.

I don't know about that operation. But pretty sure they still used them on west front. Just like they used ju87 and everything else they had.(tho I am not sure if they used stuka on the west in late war)

Edited by InProgress

Wikipedia (heh) says that there were day missions in 1944,not much but still (with big losses) night till the end with big effectiveness.

"The night fighter arm claimed the destruction of 123 out of some 1,179 bombers over Hamburg on one night; a 7.2% loss rate. During the Battle of Berlin, 1,128 bombers were lost in five months. RAF Bomber Command had "nearly burned out"."

III/JG53Frankyboy

What if it's lend lease russian sherman on eastern front? ;)

Edited by InProgress

Well, technically those fighter jocks you talk about didn`t get the game they wanted either. Since BoS came out I played 2x2 sp campaigns (1 LW, 1 VVS for BoS and BoM). Even today BoX is not even close to what fun I got out of IL2 1946 because it lacks comprehensive multiplayer. You can play only so many QMB AI skirmishes till you get sick of it. So since I finished my 2nd BoM campaign, I`ve been hanging here, waiting till I get what I came here for in 2014 - coops. Still hanging there.

You are not the only one wanting more from this game. I bet most of us are waiting for BoX to be the real successor to old IL2 series and most are optimistic about it finally getting there someday.

This post just blows my mind.

You beat your head against the wall doing quick missions and campaigns since 2014 and then hop on here to complain about the multiplayer experience when there are servers like TAW out there?

Do you live under a rock?

Also,

I'm a fighter jock, don't presume to speak for me when you say "we" didn't get the game "we" wanted. Hope out of single player my dude it might broaden your horizons a bit.

Edited by [TWB]dillon_biz-
  • Upvote 1

This post just blows my mind.

You beat your head against the wall doing quick missions and campaigns since 2014 and then hop on here to complain about the multiplayer experience when there are servers like TAW out there?

Do you live under a rock?

First time I read this I thought it was sarcasm.

But you really have no idea, do you?

Talking about bombers, any idea of when i can get my mitts on the A20B? Its slated for a Nov or Dec release right?

Likely we'll see it in the Battle of Kuban official release in 3.01. Jason said probably the end of December... I'm going to say.. maaaaybe very early January. Either way it's soon... probably 4-5 weeks out at this point.

it may depends on its Version....

and i wonder why "we need a Bomber" guys want a Me410.....ist just a fighterbomber - it cant even close its bombdoors totaly with 2 SC500 loaded :D

an Fw190F-8 (i guess you can make one out of a BoBo A-8) is more suitable , it even can fire Panzerblitz rockets

and true, if one REALY want fly a horizontal bomber online...he can use (if he has the games ;) ) an already existing Ju88A-4 or He111H. It makes not much difference , as already said , the more timerelated Luftwaffe Bombers (that didnt flew at daylight in the west anymore except the Arado...) would be massacred too by the fast and heavily armed allied fighters ( P-47 = 100rps IIRC ).

the allied side...well, there is only the A-20. good enough too i guess.

( sure an A-20G would be welcome ;) )

I can't speak for the rest of them, of course, but I like flying multi-engine aircraft.

I'd label myself as one of the 'bomber mafia' on here, but in terms of roles, I'm an interdiction/strike pilot at heart as opposed to a level bomber or CAS Sturmovik guy.

So low-level ingress, behind the lines hunting trains and warehouses and bridges, then book it home as fast as.

Think 88 rather than 111, or Peshka rather than Il-2.

But I like flying something bigger and heavier than a single-engined single-seater. Fighters sort of go where you point them but I like the way heavier aircraft need a bit of patience and you need to pre-empt their movements a bit more, instead of hauling on the stick and firewallibg the throttle. Getting something full of crew, fuel and ordinance off the runway and getting it there and back is more fun to me than either furballing wildly over an objective or droning towards one at 3k.

I'm not fussed about level bombing really, I ageee the sim doesn't need and can't support something like a B-17. But I'd rather have some twin-engined options in the set.

The existing Axis ones will get but to pueces as you say, and the Allies have none. Mosquito, A-26, A-20G, that's what I'm after.

I'll settle with the Tempest but it's not really where my head's at.

Although, nothing wrong with a new challenge or a new set of skills to learn.

Are you even able to realise that BoBP is just a name?

No, he can't. Just because he is kind of russians, who think that there weren't any fight around the world in WWII, excluding 3rd Reich vs USSR.

It's not a joke, yep.

• Upvote 1

Respectfully, you're an idiot.

You are swift for judgment, but, maybe, you could first read some post on russian forum before taking a responsibility for such deep judgment? Edited by MicroShket

You are swift for judgment, but, maybe, you could first read some post on russian forum before taking a responsibility for such deep judgment?

MicroShket,

I must admit that I really enjoy reading your posts as I always imagine Yoda saying them out loud, with the pre-fix "Mmm".

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 2

You are swift for judgment, but, maybe, you could first read some post on russian forum before taking a responsibility for such deep judgment?

Ну, ты о чём? Большинство анонс понравилось - да и дураки там тоже есть, как и здесь есть несколько из США которые чуть не просили бомбить офис компании когда узнали об БзМ и БзК. У нас есть такой пацан который считает ВоВ ерунда потому что только стратегическая война достойная.

• Upvote 1

Ну, ты о чём?

Человек же даже в теме анонса написал, что разработчики побежали окучивать Запад. И ранее писал в том ключе, что Восточный фронт - соль земли. Лично меня расстраивают только "капли" у Мустанга и Тандерболта.

Как ни глянь, всегда кто-то виноват, то Восток, то Запад. :ь

Edited by MicroShket

Still I pre-ordered it, the La and Bf to foster further development of the game, and I'll bet I get the IL2 P47 before I get the DCS P-47.............

As a kick starter backer for DCS WWII with enough paid in to get everything I agree 100%.  DCS WWII is what now 4 years ago?  :wacko:

We're going to have modeled an allied pilot(not soviet) for all those American/British planes, do you rec?

Edited by 216th_Peterla

We're going to have modeled an allied pilot(not soviet) for all those American/British planes, do you rec?

Hopefully we will get some jolly good RAF radio chatter too  ;)

Edit: I have to admit, I'm looking forward to some ground attack missions flying the 47 and the 38.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

Reading around an unofficial but reliable source has said yes. As we get closer I think we will get an official yes.

Royal...you're a Jug pilot and don't know it yet.

Sell it to me.

I have a vague idea of what it could do... persuade me to jump ship into the US fighter-bomber world.

Would be nice to have a Lancaster & B17

Edited by fergal69
  • Upvote 1

Considering I only really fly multiplayer, I would imagine there will be numerous occasions to fly he111/ju88/ju87 on the Bodenplatte map. (Not to mention Me262s dogfighting with Sopwith Camels