Sign in to follow this  
WIS-Redcoat

Bodenplatte Map

The second half of the battle of the bulge saw extensive allied ground attack aircraft support, attacking the Germans and helping to roll them back.

Aye the weather opened up eventually, but there's still the problem of airfields for both sides.

I was quite surprised to find the IL-2 1946 maps being smaller than the ones in BOx. I think that no matter the size Jason and the Team go for, it's going to be pretty decent for our needs.

Are you sure of that ?

This map was made for IL2-1946 (and scale was 1:1) :

309573WestFrontwinterbases.jpg

But it was a modded one, for sure  ;)

And it was not an empty one :

764162westfront44airfields01.jpg

Edited by GilB57
  • Upvote 2

I found this on Reddit yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1nEGqkqYUGBipkmMq-NSwixdUHmU&ll=40.59727053282274%2C0&z=2

I was quite surprised to find the IL-2 1946 maps being smaller than the ones in BOx. I think that no matter the size Jason and the Team go for, it's going to be pretty decent for our needs.

Wow, that really makes me appreciate the number and variety of areas the old IL-2 series covered. I don't at all remember the MTO being tackled though. Was that after 1946? I still would eventually love to see the Battle of France done (and earlier stuff for that matter!)

There was a lot of good MTO maps made by modders community for the very old grand'ma ( IL2-1946 ) ...  even in the last months !!! :

presen11.jpg

This one was older but also  1:1 scale !

370248GW_centralMed_pub.jpg

That wouldn't make any sense. E7 was used shortly after Battle of Britian. The canopy and propeller just reminds me of E7.

Well, why not just make some post-battle of Britain scenarios about skirmishes with the Friedrichs, Gustavs and the 190's? Brits would only have the Spit V I'm afraid, but the A-20 could be a good stand-in for the Havoc.

We already have a quite a few skins for that, the only somewhat bothering thing would be the Soviet pilot model. If even a small part of the Channel is on the map, then it should be fine.

Edited by Frenchy56
  • Upvote 1

We also need long, well prepared runways for 262s to operate from. Small aerodromes and unprepared field strips wont do it. Considering aircraft operated from as far back as the Frankfurt region it will be interesting to see how far devs are going to get into germany.

I think I recall there being a reason why this is impractical, but adding the Rise of Flight Channel map would be great for variety.

Not sure how much updating it would require but it could provide a bit of a playground for Spitfires, Kittyhawks and Havocs.

Something to keep us going until Bodenplatte appears, or bundled along with it like Velikiye Luki maybe. I wouldn't be adverse to paying again for it to get it in-game.

I think I recall there being a reason why this is impractical, but adding the Rise of Flight Channel map would be great for variety.

Not sure how much updating it would require but it could provide a bit of a playground for Spitfires, Kittyhawks and Havocs.

Something to keep us going until Bodenplatte appears, or bundled along with it like Velikiye Luki maybe. I wouldn't be adverse to paying again for it to get it in-game.

Unfortunately maps can't be ported over due to different engines (map technoligy is very different). However RoF art assests will be ported / refurbished for Flying Circus.

On the other hand we eventually can use the Bodenplatte map with Flying Circus which could lead to fun results, too.