AndyJWest

So, Tank Crew stuff. What exactly are we getting?

17 hours ago, PL_Andrev said:

Uhmm... not, you can't.

Look, in theory I agree with you, but this is theory, not game reality.

Crew experience - you're right, but we're talking about your game-person, your crew, your avatar.

If you want to simulate the experience of your crew it should be set to zero when you're crew is killed, right? (to novice).

But how to simulate YOUR personal skill to enemy tanks identification, weak spots detection, self-hiding etc?

Supply

Well, there is no interesting option to take a supply. In other games you should capture point or find some supply unit.

But how to simulate you request with ammo or fuel? You will stay at point (and wait) or go back to base?

In fact you should call for your HQ and wait for supply unit, what is not often possible during front line.

So finally - you can't realize supply in game, because game's supply system does not match to reality standards.

Support and communication 

Again this is game: you can call to another people but nobody may react. In other games if someone call "help me" other people avoid (leave) area when requester is.

It works in two sides: orders are not important becaouse this is a game. So istead attack enemy position you may hide & camp with no effort to you.

Morale system

Morale represents your crew skill, not your personal skill. Not sure how to implement morale system into the game.

Break your orders? (you click "W" but tank do not go forward). But this game should be playable and give a fun... 

What? Simulate your skill? Dude if you will get good you will be good, know where to shoot, how to spot enemt etc. If not then you suck and will be noivce. That's one weird argument... and makes 0 sense.

Supply, no one is going to drive around with trucks for you to battle. Panzer 3 could drive for 165km,panzer 4 and 5- 200km on the road. Cross-country be half of it. More of less 2h of driving around max speed. Battles in multiplayer will last 2 maybe 2,5h. So what fuel? Tank would go back to their own base after battle and resupply, no one will send truck to battle with fuel. Supply in multiplayer won't really work. You don't even need it, maybe ammo etc. But all you need is go back to HQ and get some war thunder style. Wait 1min to resupply etc.

By supply i meant actual career where you get fuel, ammo, parts etc. So today you got ju52 that brought some oil and tanks can advance on X village tomorrow. Option 2, ju52 was shot down and all fuel burned, not enough fuel to attack that village tomorrow. Stuff like that.

Morale does not work that way, one guy in tank turned out to be cowars and stop driving. Morale works on bigger scale and no random tank crew would run away during battle because it's scary. Mius front have nice morale but that's something for infantry mostly. They take big losses and enemy is close so they will surrender and some of them just put hands up and walks to get captured. Tank crews won't do it, if your crew get killled or wounded then they may start falling back since it's normal. If you fly He111 and engine 1 dies then you won't keep flying to bomb target that is 300km away, you turn back because you would die. In game if your crew gets killed or wounded there is no point is staying because you are weak and won't do much anymore. There is no need for morale, just like AI in planes, heavy damage? Go back to base and stop fighting.

You seem to keep talking about multiplayer and it being realistic. Multiplayer WILL NEVER BE realistic. People spawn, they don't care about lifes, nothing to lose, score matters, get most kills. It's just for fun, real experience and biggest realism would be in single player where your life matters if you do career and iron mode. You will automatically have morale in your head, "oh crap, my loader is dead, i can still shoot but it will take way longer to reload. I am weak and easy to kill now" What would you do when pllaying on iron mode? YOLO RUSH STALINGRAD! or be like f*ck f*uck!! Fall back, save tank and crew and me!

We still have some kind of supply thing in career, if you lose so many planes then your next missions won't be in full strength, instead of 5 fighters you will have 3. Same could be with tank, damaged, damaged, destroyed, damaged. Next mission 5 tanks assault instead of 9. Devs could expand this and add fuel supply, ammo, parts and events. Rain blocked roads, no supply today event. And stuff like that, if you waste more all ammo shooting like noob at everything and miss you may have hard time with ammo supply etc.

AI crew experience = faster reload, can spot targets from longer range etc. Should not be something big, but Novice reload vs ace reload 1s difference. Not a big deal but can save life.

BTW: I really want pacific tank expansion :biggrin: it's so rare to see this kind of games, everyone knows german, russian, american tanks. But japs? That's something rare and would be really great to see some of it and learn more about them. I know they were bad and battles vs america could be meh for japan side. But early war expansion could be nice. I don't really know any tank battles on that front :P But maybe this whole new guinea(if i am not wrong) everyone wanted could be good for that.

Edited by InProgress

Khalkhin Gol could be interesting for that InProgress, BT-7s and T-26s against Japanese Type 95s etc. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, thenorm said:

Khalkhin Gol could be interesting for that InProgress, BT-7s and T-26s against Japanese Type 95s etc. 

Not really, there were no real tank to tank engagements at Khalkhin-gol. The armored forces of the two opposite sides were engaged at two different location of the battle area. After that the Japanese tank force was largely spent and pulled out. At best they engaged some sporadic soviet-mongolian armored cars but that's it.

On 15/05/2018 at 12:09 PM, InProgress said:

. I don't really know any tank battles on that front :P

And that's why we fortunately won't see any tank sim on the pacific theater.

1 hour ago, Eicio said:

And that's why we fortunately won't see any tank sim on the pacific theater.

Pacifis is far far away, maybe we will be able to see infantry in these next 2-3 years. While bigger tank battles don't have place, small scale (especially for single player) battles could be cool. Peleliu had some of that, whole china could be also good for tank vs infantry. Let's hope one that day...:rolleyes:

Gents,

Excuse my ignorance, however, is it planned that these ground elements will eventfully be combined into one big air/ground war utilising either the current BOS or proposed Bodenplatte plane-set?  I did read something about it some where but can't quickly find it so any pointers to it would be appreciated.  Thank you 

RGDS

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Gents,

Excuse my ignorance, however, is it planned that these ground elements will eventfully be combined into one big air/ground war utilising either the current BOS or proposed Bodenplatte plane-set?  I did read something about it some where but can't quickly find it so any pointers to it would be appreciated.  Thank you 

RGDS

Yes, player-controlled ground units already use the same BOS servers. Tank Crew probably won't relate to Bodenplatte, at least initially. 

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Thanks 1

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be possible to play online in a tank that is crewed by two or more human players?

Also, since I took a couple of years pause from the game, are tank battles a thing online, another words, do popular servers:

- allow players to play as tank crew

- are people interested in that aspect of the game?

My questions sure may sound silly to some, but when I last played more seriously online, it was a good experience as long as you wanted air superiority combat with little to no reference on actual ground attack support, bombing missions and stuff like that. Sure, there were always one or more players interested in meeting the objectives, destroying ground targets, bridges and stuff like that, but majority was as a rule involved in fighting each other in flashy best fighters available.

42 minutes ago, dkoor said:

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be possible to play online in a tank that is crewed by two or more human players?

Also, since I took a couple of years pause from the game, are tank battles a thing online, another words, do popular servers:

- allow players to play as tank crew

- are people interested in that aspect of the game?

My questions sure may sound silly to some, but when I last played more seriously online, it was a good experience as long as you wanted air superiority combat with little to no reference on actual ground attack support, bombing missions and stuff like that. Sure, there were always one or more players interested in meeting the objectives, destroying ground targets, bridges and stuff like that, but majority was as a rule involved in fighting each other in flashy best fighters available.

Wings of liberty, Tactical air war and coconuts servers all have quite a bit of attCker and bombing activity. I don’t think there are much in the way of tanks driven by players.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, thank for the answer. That fact along with somewhat unfulfilled pilot (single or online) career potential was pretty much my only objection with the old IL-2.

I played BoS too sparingly to draw some conclusions about whether that has changed or not. The best war experience you could have back then while playing with other human players was COOP mission by far.

Judging from your words it is most probably true nowadays too.

Too bad about tanks... and lacking in those aspect of the game online... there are probably some number of us old farts that woulda want to stay around and we aren't really what you'd call 'fighter jockey' material anymore... lacking in nerves, time, eyesight, other physical disabilities that come with time (angry wife etc.) makes you suitable for IL-2 rear gunner at best. Tanks would also be solid option.

But be warned, this can and will happen to you too, so don't laugh.

Once upon the time we flew fighters just like you:salute:.

Edited by dkoor

Normal server often has many player tanks operating, (last time I looked) which can be crewed by two players, can be a lot of fun, definitely worth a look as a taster for upcoming improvements 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Have they ever confirmed if Tank Crew will be built with VR in mind?

I'm not sure what they could do specifically for VR, beyond possibly toning down the 'being rattled around like a bag of spanners in a tumble drier' effect a little. 

I think about Tank Crew and I do not know how developers will cope with the creation of this DLC. We certainly will not get it at the end of the current year.
Developers have to make a map from scratch, it will take them a lot of time.

Create models from the initial list of vehicles, both all vehicles and their interiors.

Create mechanics for a multi-crew

Create a tanker's career, and with it the types of missions, real units, scripts and completely different career mechanics. The size of our unit, bots command system etc.

Personally, I expect this DLC in 2019, but certainly not in the current year.

Edited by GTursonA523

I just want a career so we can drive Panthers and watch as tanks, halftracks and German infantry advance right into hails of gunfire from dozens of AT guns and MGs. There have to be dozens of attacking tanks and hundreds of infantry, because otherwise whatever you have is going to get chewed up for no advance. 

And there can actually be different sides winning, since the advances in terms of land have to be constantly tracked. So we can have a German victory, or the Soviets destroying the bulk of thr German forces and breaking out of the bulge

57 minutes ago, hames123 said:

I just want a career so we can drive Panthers and watch as tanks, halftracks and German infantry advance right into hails of gunfire from dozens of AT guns and MGs. There have to be dozens of attacking tanks and hundreds of infantry, because otherwise whatever you have is going to get chewed up for no advance. 

And there can actually be different sides winning, since the advances in terms of land have to be constantly tracked. So we can have a German victory, or the Soviets destroying the bulk of thr German forces and breaking out of the bulge

If you are expecting 'hundreds of infantry' I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

On 11/17/2017 at 3:06 PM, AndyJWest said:

Tank Crew stuff. What exactly are we getting...

At first, some images would be nice... 😉

Edited by Templer

On 5/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, AndyJWest said:

If you are expecting 'hundreds of infantry' I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

But we need infantry. By the Company preferably, constantly advancing and covering each other as they good with MG fire and rifle fire. Tanks primarily operated in support of infantry at Kursk, unlike a year earlier at Stalingrad the Soviet defenses stood firm and did not collapse, and thus the Germans had to take every position in turn with infantry supported by tanks.

2 hours ago, hames123 said:

But we need infantry. By the Company preferably, constantly advancing and covering each other as they good with MG fire and rifle fire. Tanks primarily operated in support of infantry at Kursk, unlike a year earlier at Stalingrad the Soviet defenses stood firm and did not collapse, and thus the Germans had to take every position in turn with infantry supported by tanks.

Saying we 'need' infantry isn't going to alter the fact that we aren't getting it. Jason has repeatedly made this clear.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, hames123 said:

In this game you’re going to have to destroy defensive positions with tanks and air power, because you’re not getting infantry.

I’m mostly excited , M4A2 is a good candidate for a western front theater with p-47’s strafing Tiger tanks