Jason_Williams

My comments on the delay of PTO development.

A crocodile tears.

No tears here. Isn't it better to get an amazing product rather than one that would disappoint or one that can't be completed on time and in budget?

I can't even begin to imagine the sheer amount of work it must take to develop a complex Carrier fleet simulation, I can't talk for the devs the or test bed of Kuban but maybe the devs weren't fully satisfied with what they had to develop a PTO?

I'm sure if BOB sells lots of units the PTO won't be far behind? 

But what would I know I'm not a games developer.

• Upvote 6

No tears here. Isn't it better to get an amazing product rather than one that would disappoint or one that can't be completed on time and in budget?

From my perspective those are merely words. A year ago those were words just as well.

I'm sure if BOB sells lots of units the PTO won't be far behind?

By the news it will be at least 2020. Pretty freakin long time.

• Upvote 2

I had a feeling it was a delay due to technical difficulties and not a cancellation. Nevertheless, I think things will work out great this way. The next installments are pure genius and sure to bring in loads of new customers as well as old customers. It sucks for a lot of diehard Pacific fans but I do think that in the end BoPacific will be better because of it.

Edited by N0B0DY

I`m fully behind everything this fantastic group of people put out, remember the fun we had trying to deal with Maddox, these guys are upfront, honest and completely trustworthy. I`d love a desert scenario with Malta as an add-on but tbh i`ll happily buy anything. We have limited options in this field and not supporting or bitching about the only group of folks that are producing decent work and actually interacting with the community will kill it for all of us. Right man in control, right team on the job..I wish I could say that about half the places I`ve worked at!!!

From my perspective those are merely words. A year ago those were words just as well.
Think about it, small development team, probably a limited budget, massive amounts of improvements made to current IL2 in a relatively short space of time. a year is not a long time in games development. I'm sure if the devs had an EA or a Rockstar kind of budget with all the resources that come with it, we would get the lot.     

Come on man, I will continue to do everything within my best capability to support your team. That inlcudes purchases of my own for campaigns and planes i dont play or fly as well as writing objective yet positive reviews on international forums, gifting etc.

From business perspective, will this BOP bring enough cash to continue the development into pacific?

I dont doubt the drive but i cant shake deduction that BOK sales must have given decision makers misleading numbers to conclude that continued eu theatre brings in the money devs need.

How much BOK sales number backed by eu guys or pacific guys?

Why was Kuban sold as "theatre needed to bring in the tech for pacific" then?

What tech will BOP bring to pacific?

Let us not kid ourselves. Pacific was after BOK. Even if next theatre was another Eastern, some will be disappointed and other will be relieves.

It is what it is.

God dammit.

Hi Jason and Dev Team,

thank you for this great announcement and the courage you have to postpone your plans for the Pacific Theatre and I know, Jason, that this wasn't

an easy step for you knowing you're going to disappoint quite a lot of your fans.

But, on the other hand we all know very well what quality level you want to achieve and to offer us as well. What I'm concerned, I was very well aware

of the difficulties (resources, time line, content) you might encounter in this project - PTO - as most of us are very demanding, restless demanding.

And so it is quite obvious you want to deliver the best and at least keep the great level of quality of your products... and of course you always surpassed

our expectations!

I can already imagine how detailed people want to see the carriers, all the busy tasks on the deck, the implementation of the LSO and so on... so it is

absolutely logical and consequent for you to change your plans.

As always, you and your incredible dev team, deliver a fantastic job and make a great product with passion - the very same passion we all enjoy with

your products. Thank you very much.

Cheers

PS: Pre-Order done of course!

I always respect your decisions on the products way forward and agree that you are doing the right thing. I am looking forward to the new proposed line-up even more than PTO, but that is just my preference and will happy embrace PTO when it does come.

Better done right than rushed to market. I'll eagerly wait for the trip to the Pacific.

• Upvote 1

Undoubtedly some will be pleased, others disappointed, but while the devs continue to communicate openly, honestly and regularly they'll surely gain more custom than they lose.

But for those that are disappointed to have to wait longer for the pacific consider this; personally I've been hanging around here without actually flying IL2 for the last few years only on the suggestion that the devs would like to revisit WWI... They never said they would be able to make it work again as a viable business decision, only that they'd like to...

Well it was quite a long wait but today we have news of Flying Circus. - BLOODY FANTASTIC

All good things come to those who wait... when the pacific arrives I'm sure it will  not disappoint those who are waiting for it and you at least have more of a commitment to PTO than others got to ROF2

• Upvote 5

Happy with the late Western Front.

On return to PTO, I suggest Battle of Philippines (USN, USAAF, IJN, IJA). You'll have some of the allies plane set already. Carrier ops could be refined by then. Lots of various terrain. Mexican 201 FS skin :)

Also Bong and McGuire campaign add-ons and other Japanese aces. 

Would happily pay large sum.

I would think the reasons are not, because of a lack of documentation, but due to problems with the engine. DMs of huge ships, AI of huge ships, draw distance, AAA modeling, friction on wet pitching decks, torpedoes and underwater stuff etc. 

But can they actually be solved with the engine at hand, if many of them are not solved in BOK f.e. torpedoes? Many doubts about the possibility of naval warfare within the current engine framework...

Edited by DerNeueMensch

Undoubtedly some will be pleased, others disappointed, but while the devs continue to communicate openly, honestly and regularly they'll surely gain more custom than they lose.

But for those that are disappointed to have to wait longer for the pacific consider this; personally I've been hanging around here without actually flying IL2 for the last few years only on the suggestion that the devs would like to revisit WWI... They never said they would be able to make it work again as a viable business decision, only that they'd like to...

Well it was quite a long wait but today we have news of Flying Circus. - BLOODY FANTASTIC

All good things come to those who wait... when the pacific arrives I'm sure it will  not disappoint those who are waiting for it and you at least have more of a commitment to PTO than others got to ROF2

:good:

Yep, lot of folks thought ROF was pretty much dead as far as going forward. Great example here of how the devs can surprise us and continue their commitment however long it takes.

My first love is and always will be WWII , but I will take ROF up again and fly it some as well once it has been implemented into the sandbox with VR support.

Edited by dburne

My plan is to work on PTO materials while we build all this other new stuff so we can be better prepared next attempt. I underestimated what would be needed and how difficult it would be even for our great team, so that was my fault.

Jason

Spoken like a true leader, hats off to you.

• Upvote 1

Think about it, small development team, probably a limited budget, massive amounts of improvements made to current IL2 in a relatively short space of time. a year is not a long time in games development. I'm sure if the devs had an EA or a Rockstar kind of budget with all the resources that come with it, we would get the lot.     

Which is still no different to what we had a year ago. The same time, similar issues with budget, improvements coming along. A year is not, but nobody expect Pacific would arrive immediately after pre order opening either. Frankly it was fully expected first would be aircraft, rest of the feautres later. Would it take more than Moscow to make ? Maybe. But its different to wait for something you are actually getting and wait for another opportunity. 

Trust takes years to build, seconds to break, and forever to repair. Mine was just shattered.

• Upvote 3

This team is taking no big chances, this is what happend to so many great products, too big tasks for a given time and it ended in desaster. I have confidence that the decision was the right one and I hope that during the next year further technology and research capabilities show up to make the pacific a successful venture.

Thanks for the clear communication.

It must have been a very tough decision to make, but the right decision in my opinion. The pacific will come when it's due.

Today's announcement was huge! Congratulations!

Yeah I'm a little bummed about the Pacific, but the spirit of ROF lives on, and I think some USA hotrods will sell well in the states. I didn't ever dream of the tank crew. I hope from a business standpoint that the product diversity sells like hotcakes. Aww Jason, I could never give up on you and the boys.

No Jason we'll get to the PTO someday. This is the best sim series I'll be here regardless.

I am gutted to hear the pacific delay. I only really backed BoK to help fund pacific. I guess that is on me.

The Flying circus and tank announcement though do go a long way to alleviate my disappointment and panic from no pacific.

• Upvote 3

Trust takes years to build, seconds to break, and forever to repair. Mine was just shattered.

Oh please, quit the drama.

• Upvote 5

I think he is actually being very sincere in his disillusionment/disappointment.

I'm sure he sincerely means to be melodramatic but I'm sincere in the fact that the world isn't ending.

I'll take my leave.  :salute:

• Upvote 2

ill be completely honest. I love this teams games and i will absolutely continue to support them.

BUT

to me the "flying circus" expansion is just a bit of a lazy move. I have spent a lot of time in RoF (and money) so the developers know that it sells well but i mean we have already played with most of these vehicles and its not like they are really doing anything ground breaking or extremely new here. now by no means am i saying that an updated RoF with full VR support and the likes is a bad idea, i just think that it was kind of a lazy move to go with that right now. They could have done a different setting like and Italian Theater or north African theater (i know about team fusion and there expansion there so this is kind of a bad example but still) They also could have done something in the China/Burma campaign and started getting info on Japanese aircraft all the while improving and making progress towards other pacific operations. Yes the fact that PTO is delayed does make me a little biased here as i was extremely looking forward to it, but i fully understand as to why they can not do it at this moment. I am also not complaining about the "tank crew" or "Battle of Bodenplatte" as these look amazing and im getting so excited already. I just think that a rise of flight 2 is not really needed at this current time. I mean correct me if i am wrong but this does mean that pacific will be delayed until at least 2020? i mean thats a very long time which stinks. 

TL:DR I am personally disappointed but i will be able to get over it, this team has never failed to deliver and im excited for the future because no matter what they do this will it will be good. I am concerned with the choice to make a RoF 2 at this point in time however.

Edited by RustyEagle

Guys keep it civil and do not get into personal discussions

Everybody have an opinion. 

Haash

I thought this thread was for that topic?

;)

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
I edited my post prior to see this one.

@Hiromachi

I have tears in my eyes that the Pacific is delayed or postponed, but, honestly, if the devs feel they can't do it to the standards we (you and me) expect, it's really better to postpone it than to do it right now. I don't believe it really has to do with the lack of data, but I do believe, as I sounded many times, that naval warfare is an amazingly complex thing to simulate properly, and I think that the BoX game environment needs a major rehaul to accomodate what makes naval ops so exciting.

I happily bought the Kuban pre order with the assumption that this will support the PTO development. of course this was never part of any real offer, just assumed from context and my idea of helping out the devs

I don't think i completely wasted my money, because I use and very much enjoy most of the content that I got, but I will most probably not invest anymore.

bringing rof into the future is nice, I own almost every rof plane and still fly and loved them, but I won't buy any of them again...

I fully agree with everything hiromachi wrote. ...

Edited by decipher

ill be completely honest. I love this teams games and i will absolutely continue to support them.

BUT

to me the "flying circus" expansion is just a bit of a lazy move. I have spent a lot of time in RoF (and money) so the developers know that it sells well but i mean we have already played with most of these vehicles and its not like they are really doing anything ground breaking or extremely new here. now by no means am i saying that an updated RoF with full VR support and the likes is a bad idea, i just think that it was kind of a lazy move to go with that right now. They could have done a different setting like and Italian Theater or north African theater (i know about team fusion and there expansion there so this is kind of a bad example but still) They also could have done something in the China/Burma campaign and started getting info on Japanese aircraft all the while improving and making progress towards other pacific operations. Yes the fact that PTO is delayed does make me a little biased here as i was extremely looking forward to it, but i fully understand as to why they can not do it at this moment. I am also not complaining about the "tank crew" or "Battle of Bodenplatte" as these look amazing and im getting so excited already. I just think that a rise of flight 2 is not really needed at this current time. I mean correct me if i am wrong but this does mean that pacific will be delayed until at least 2020? i mean thats a very long time which stinks. 

TL:DR I am personally disappointed but i will be able to get over it, this team has never failed to deliver and im excited for the future because no matter what they do this will it will be good.

You mustn't be aware of the fairly large demand for ROF to come to the new engine. I think now is the right time and the best time. I, for one, am very excited for Flying Circus and the possibility it will be integrated in to the campaign system.

And to call it lazy? Pffff.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

I reckoned Hiromachi would be supremely disappointed. I hear you man. I can just imagine how I would feel, if I had been promised (well, not exactly promised but close enough) an Eastern Front title, and I ended up having to wait even longer to make way for a late-war Western Front scenario. I was lucky to get almost exactly the sim I wanted the most from the start, for others it has been a long wait for the really good stuff.

The only silver lining I can see for those who really, really wanted the Pacific is, that Jason remains personally dedicated to it, while other people might have wanted to scrap it completely.

It’s not much, but at least we have a really great and ever-expanding sim. Here’s hoping that the PTO guys will get their wishes as well without too much delay

• Upvote 2

-snip-

will most probably not invest anymore.

-snip-

Enjoy effectively reducing the possibility for a PTO expansion in the future, than.

Does anybody really think dev-ransoming furthers their agenda?

People are looking at this all wrong.   Jason is not saying "We *can* give you a fully working BoP in two years but we decided to forget the idea and do Bodenplatte instead."    He is saying "We have realised we *cannot* give you a fully working BoP in two years so we are switching to something we *can* do in two years and meanwhile we will keep thinking about how to achieve the BoP everyone wants."

Do you really want 1C to spend two years struggling, then maybe another year to finish a substandard job and meanwhile you will get nothing new?  This way they might come up with solutions to the Pacific roadblocks while producing the Bodenplatte & Tank Crew sims and be able to get the PTO out just a year after wrapping up Bodenplatte.

• Upvote 2

I was despairing awhile back, I was pretty certain that it would be years before I would see a new RoF, plus, years before I could play as an RAF pilot using the BoS game engine... nevertheless,  I was still prepared to back Jason and team in the hope that one day they would get round to it.

I was totally surprised at today's announcement and very pleased at the outcome. I was also feeling for the guys who were waiting for the pacific as for them it was a dream come to fruition at last, only to be dashed so close to seeing it happen. 

I hope they can, like myself when in the same position continue to support the team, even though the Pacific venture has been delayed (not cancelled) .

Chin up guys... it will come!

• Upvote 2

Nobody would be happy with a rushed out half assed Pacific, and I am very happy that the team have decided to postpone it until they can do it justice.

• Upvote 1

When pacific does arrive we better be able to takeoff and land on those carriers with the wwi planes! :D

Edited by =AGW=Master

Not to mention Jason said they will still be developing the Pacific alongside the new titles so it's not like they abandoned it.

That's a good step to say, ok the current resources are not enough to build a proper and detailed PTO scenario. 
I really like this idea to build a larger base il2 to finance the PTO research.

Thanks Jason and the 777 Team for your great work and all the surprises we had and will have in the future! That step into late WW2 combat over Europe, is great and really unexpected.

Preordering will start next month, need to save some money for other stuff.