Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

Im surprised there is not much talk about Me262. That will be interesting.

Also, I think the demo is a great idea because the game is so good, that a lot of people need to just try it first to fall in love with it forever.

Will the Dserver improvements be part of the larger MP matchmaking overhaul?

• Upvote 1

You'd be happy to live where I do in Cambridgeshire because I'm close to the Duxford air museum (the American aviation building is amazing, SR-71,B-52, B-29, B-17, A-10, Huey and lots more) and I often have P-51s overhead. Duxford was both an RAF and USAAF base in WWII. I'm also near the Madingley USA cemetery where far too many of your soldiers and air-men are buried; it's a sobering but beautiful place. Duxford has glass panels with every American air-craft lost in the war engraved upon them by type. The panels go on for some distance ...

Nothing beats the sound of those old birds in real life. We have an airshow once a year near where I live, and the B-17 rides go right over my house. I hope to get across the pond again and maybe pay a visit to the Duxford Air Museum. And although we like to play at war with our games, It is important to remember the people who did it for real. For them it was no game at all.

Edited by Cpt_Cool

:o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:  :o:   THANK YOU SO MUCH, 

My jaw DROPPED when I read that plane list... It is everything I thought we would never get!!! 

You guys are the best, all pre-ordered already!!!!

• Upvote 1

Also when do we kick off the "Make the B-25 Flyable!" campaign?   :P

Edited by Cpt_Cool
  • Upvote 1

Also, I think the demo is a great idea because the game is so good, that a lot of people need to just try it first to fall in love with it forever.

Sincerly, we are not ready for 262........not again at least.

From G6 to 262 in a few months? It's really too much! :wacko:

Fantastic news! 

I'm quite excited for the Battle of Bodenplatte.   :good: 

Jason, I was wondering if your larger team might be able to find the time to squeeze in development of a decal system, enabling us to fly with correct markings.

I think this will really add to the overall immersion and I'm certain it will please a lot of people.

• Upvote 1

EXCELLENT!

I never had any doubt that eventually we would be here..  I just wasn't expecting it this soon. I can FINALLY get my Mustang under this FM!

:)  :lol:  :biggrin:  :happy:  :salute:  :dance:  :fly:  :pilot:  :good:

• Upvote 3

Preordered everything, but please change the name to something else. ;)

• Upvote 3

Well, apart from the lovely P-39, A-20 and what have you screenshots, this is interesting news

apart from the earlier plans to go Pacific with Il-2 / BoS

This is a lot of new things to sink in, it sounds interesting but I find it too early to comment in-depth

upon ..

Although, WW1 is off for me, Bodenplatte is very interesting but we will have to see; together with Prokhorovka

we are talking about a rather limited operation, officially one day I think, were most activities took place, as opposed to

Stalngrad, Kuban & Moscow.

A tank simulator should be fun, Prokhorovka as a 'limited' theatre should be enough to keep us busy for a long time,

depending on Dev team's work.

Personally, and here starts the complaining ;) I am surely not the only one would like to have seen the next chapter of

BoS take place in the Mediterranean theatre, either North Africa or Southern Italy, preferably both :)

So hopefully all is not lost yet, and we could look forward to such a sim in the not too distant future :P

I  Sincerely wish I could show the same Enthusiasm as The majority of the IL*2 Community.....Sorry,just Can't. "Tank Crew" does sound interesting though,Will wait for further info. All The very best to 777 Studios and The future of The IL*2 Series.

A naive question:

Did you guys ever consider a much larger map than usual for Bodenplatte with only a "small" area being high detail? So one could fly in theory for example from northern Germany to Normandy or even to UK? Could be a very basic texture that looks ok-ish from above with random patterns of villages and fields. Like FSX where you had an add-on for only a part of the world yet you could fly way past it in lesser quality. Or even prcedural generated landscape. There's so much going on this departement that I wonder why flight sims didn't embrace this tech yet.

Cheers

Great news - but please, could we have a Spitfire FRXIV instead of a MkIX? Clipped wing, low back, E wing, cameras for tac recce missions, and fully a match for the Dora...

And more historically accurate for the time frame, I believe.

Oh - and make the P-47 an M!

Vulture

• Upvote 3

Seems like smart thinking from my perspective - get some easy wins (well easier, anyway) and tackle Pacific later, if it is ever a practical proposition. 

The tank stuff needs to get infantry into it to get my attention but I am particularly happy to see WW1 returning to the agenda.

Will support with my wallet once back at home.

Preordered everything, but please change the name to something else. ;)

Battle of Bodenplatte sounds strange. The other 3 parts of the game, are named by City/Area. Unternehmen Bodenpaltte is the "codename" of an task. From my opinion
"IL2 Battles, Operation Bodenplatte" makes more sense.

Haven't used the P51 in a good while. Is it the K14 gunsight that had the gyro? Can't remember. That was so cool to use.

Edited by Hopper64

How about a name change to Battle of the Ardennes? Hope the devs will fix the glaring omission in the Allied line up...FB Mk VI Mosquito.

And when can we get our early access badges? I'm giving away at least 4 for the holidays.

• Upvote 1

A naive question:

Did you guys ever consider a much larger map than usual for Bodenplatte with only a "small" area being high detail? So one could fly in theory for example from northern Germany to Normandy or even to UK? Could be a very basic texture that looks ok-ish from above with random patterns of villages and fields. Like FSX where you had an add-on for only a part of the world yet you could fly way past it in lesser quality. Or even prcedural generated landscape. There's so much going on this departement that I wonder why flight sims didn't embrace this tech yet.

Cheers

Hmmm.... not a very good idea to me. Reminds me the failed attempt of MS Combat Simulator with it's photo-realistic landscape, which was gruesome ugly.

Ou, and did I mentioned that this was absolutely gruesome ugly???

No, thanks.

Great news - but please, could we have a Spitfire FRXIV instead of a MkIX? Clipped wing, low back, E wing, cameras for tac recce missions, and fully a match for the Dora...

And more historically accurate for the time frame, I believe.

Oh - and make the P-47 an M!

Vulture

Looking at Black Six's post we might get the Spitfire Mk XVI as a modification of the Mk IX

Fantastic news! Although I did look forward to the Pacific scenario, this is even better I think. Parallel development, RoF revisited, Map including Netherlands (!), tanks and all this in one sim is something I didn't dare dream. Lot's of mission making to be done!

I feel sorry for the guys who were looking forward to the Pacific but from a customer base and sales POV I think the team took the right decision with Bodenplatte: This is gonna be huge and probably a great cash cow meaning funds for other great stuff later.

Who can resist this mix of legendary late war fighters? Insta pre-ordered as soon as I got home from work today! In addition, the reviving of RoF in the shape of Flying Circus was very welcome news indeed! :good:

I pre-ordered Bodenplatte and will surely enjoy tootling around in it just as I have BoS/BoM/BoK, but my heart lies in WWI and I'm so excited by the prospect of Flying Circus... Yes!!!

Thank you so much for all that you continue to do for the flight sim community. You make great products and they just keep getting better and better.

Yeah 262 is a blast. I guess that it will come as the last plane in order :(

Fist they had to make the tech for the jets and supersonic speed.

4x30mm against the swarm of B25,  cant wait for this whoo hoooo  and the Dora.....

Totally gobsmacked by this news! A friggin P-38 under this FM, Im sorry Luftwaffe....but I may have to give you a break for a while! These online battles are going to be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you team! 

I'm off to pre-order the 109 G-6 now. :dance: :dance: :dance: 

For this COF this is great news.  Oh boy oh boy :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Oh, I am also off to per order.  :)

Edited by Taxman

While I was eagerly awaiting a move towards the Pacific and carrier ops, I can understand that it's a monumental task and there is a ton of work and resources that need to go into it to do it right.  I think the development team recognizes that it's a bit much for them right now and that there are other ways they can branch out while building up to the task and expanding their base before making a pivot.

I am pleased with the new list of late-war offerings that Bodenplatte brings.  Many of the iconic planes are cherished and coveted, so I can see this bringing in new players that weren't excited by the Eastern front offerings.  Additionally, a demo for people to try is a sensible entry point into an expensive genre.  I hope improvements do the dserver and other aspects of the engine are also being considered.

Flying Circus will breathe fresh air into the WW1 flying scene and draw in those who have clung on to RoF over the years.  It will also give the BoX crowd something new to try, and with the addition of VR and other improvements, it would provide an updated experience that is currently missing from the genre and VR.  While not having spent a ton of time in RoF myself, I did enjoy it and have long thought that it would make an for an excellent experience in VR.  

Tank Crew could very well be the hidden gem of the bunch for me.  I know that many pilots don't really have much of a connection to it - but there has been a substantial gap in the market where realistic multi-crew tank gameplay is concerned.  Titles like WoT and War Thunder are laughable from a sim/realism perspective and have dumbed down the gameplay to create a low barrier to entry.  Unfortunately, there really isn't much to move up to from there.  Darkest Hour?  Red Orchestra 2?  While they employ tanks in an undoubtedly fun way, they are auxiliary to the infantry experience offered by these titles (though one could argue the same about "Tank Crew" and the flight sim aspect).  I was hoping that the addition of ground vehicles would eventually lead to something worth serious consideration, and the addition of Tank Crew may do exactly that.

I'm still hoping that carrier ops and the Pacific make their way into this sim, but I can't complain about the future that has been laid out for it at present.  There are a lot of good things coming and the diverse offering provides something for nearly everyone while also serving to substantially expand the player base.  I sincerely hope that each of these are successful!

Edited by FFS_FrozenLiquidity
  • Upvote 2

Funny, there seems to be no mention of the upcoming IL2 Demo in the comments. This will surely be huge for spreading the word in the way the original IL2 demo did.

Great to see an improved AI is on the main list. :-)

An Me-262 will be great but there's something needed to complete that experience, involving the characters b,-,1,7. Hopefully in the following wave of development.

All up just crazy good news. The Pacific will be awesome but can wait. And a real tank sim within IL2. Oh yeah!

Waiting for hi-def VR to complement all this.

Edited by FlyingNutcase

Stab./KG 51, I./KG 51 and II./KG 51 had Me 262 A-2s on 01.01.1945

It will be ready later

126 Wing, 39 Reece Wing, 131 Wing, 132 Wing, 135 Wing, 145 Wing, 35 Reece Wing. Also 127 Wing had Spitfire XVIs - submodification of Spit IX

What kind of engines would these spits have? 25lbs boost version possible? Wouldn't be too crazy considering what they're facing.

This is and always has been a fantastic flight sim.

I have spent hours on it.

I was looking forward to the PTO but understand that the time is not right and am happy to go wherever it takes me.

I am surprised that no one is talking about the forthcoming IL2 Great Battles Demo.. or the renaming of the upgraded Digital Nature Engine to the Digital Warfare Engine

That is huge. 

Funny, there seems to be no mention of the upcoming IL2 Demo in the comments. This will surely be huge for spreading the word in the way the original IL2 demo did.

Great to see an improved AI is on the main list. :-)

An Me-262 will be great but there's something needed to complete that experience, involving the characters b,-,1,7. Hopefully in the following wave of development.

All up just crazy good news. The Pacific will be awesome but can wait. And a real tank sim within IL2. Oh yeah!

Waiting for hi-def VR to complement all this.

LOL.. I see we both were thinking the same thing at the same time...