Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

I'm having dreams of great big concrete airfields in the new map.

That's gonna be fun! :biggrin:  

Hell yeah, western front! I did not fly in this sim for months now but you can count me in. :):salute:

Made this joke over a year ago before the BoK announcement...

photo-536.jpg?_r=1355250778 Posted by mazex on 25 August 2016 - 21:18

Jason_Williams, on 25 Aug 2016 - 19:13, said:snapback.png

New theater will not be announced tomorrow. I'm hoping soon, but budget and included items is still not approved.

Jason

No problem - I approve it. Just go ahead  ;)

Have not been here for a long time as I got snowblind by BoS but the news of a new theatre made me purchase BoM this week. And a pleasant surprise it was with more trees and less snow! Having said that I really look forward to the "8th Air Force" expansion with flyable B17:s, Mustangs and P-38:s. The Premium B25 and P-47 will naturally be interesting as well. The Fw 190 D9, 109 K4 will probably be good but the premium Me 163 and Ta 152 is what I am looking forward to most on the axis side! A pity the B-24 will not be in the original release but the plan to release it as a buyable aircraft after the release is fine with me.  :)

/Mazex

Not that far off with Bodeplatte but the 4-engine planes would be nice to add as buyable planes later - and then RoF v2 as a bonus. Christmas is early this year!

• Upvote 1

So excited for Flying Circus, I had given up hope that RoF would be updated.

As soon as that pre order goes up giving over my money :)

• Upvote 1

Aircraft fuel system and droptanks! Yay!!! :cool:

But I guess we'll have to wait more for torpedoes...

And B25 as AI make it a possible flyable later on! :)

Did anyone say flyable P38?!?!? :biggrin:

Edited by PA-Sniv

Absolutely fantastic! Can't wait to try the Tempest and the 262.

It is of course the Po-2 coming next, not the Li-2, which looked like a Dakota. Really looking forward to the Po-2 as well. And will be buying the G6 and La-5FN too.

In all fantastic news all round.

.Was the FW190A8 the only ground attack aircraft at the time? Will we get the bomber variant of the Schwalbe?

i would be not surpriced if the fighter A-8 can be transformed in an F-8 ( Panzerblitz rockets , bombs , armour, Special boost) -  as simple modification. Like the A-5 can be transformed in an U17 aka F-3.

Same for the 262

i hope its not too much work to reprogramm all these wonderfull (espacially the early war ones, remember how Long it took to get these) ) RoF planes into the new engine

btw, all possible preorders made ;)

Edited by III/JG53Frankyboy
  • Upvote 1

Aircraft fuel system and droptanks! Yay!!! :cool:

But I guess we'll have to wait more for torpedoes...

Torpedoes where used by the Russians and Germans in the Black sea, so why not have them now?!  :salute: 

Why IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte has no Founder Bar anymore??? Missing in Action???

• Upvote 1

Hi Jason,

can you add a status to the individual points of the BoK development-plan?

https://forum.il2stu...velopment-plan/

Technology and Features:

- New Career for Kuban, Moscow, Stalingrad (ROF-like)
- Scripted Campaign game mode with first Campaign of 15 missions. Community can add their own scripted Campaigns later.
- CO-OP Multiplayer Game Mode (ROF-like to start)
- Air Marshall and Field Marshall modes for MP. (i.e. HQ-ATC-GCI type screen to manage a battle with realistic limited info)
- In-Game Model-Viewer (tool for skin makers)
- Mods On/Off Mode (As open as possible including sounds and textures)
- Re-vamped Triple Monitor Support
- External Gauges API for app makers
- Ability for Players to Import Vehicles and Objects (Like ROF)
- SDK for Vehicles, Buildings, Boats and other Objects
- Custom Graphics Settings Options        

Other Improvements:
- Adjustable Cloud Heights
- Flight Model Optimization for AI planes (More AI planes in missions)
- Planes with larger wheels are less stuck in rough terrain
- Support for Larger Textures (Assuming tests prove possible)
- Sound/Graphics FX (Object linked hits and sounds)
- Sharper Shadows
- Haze Improvements (Possibly if research results are good)
- New Tracers (Possibly if research results are good)
- Oil Leak Texture Layer (Possibly if research results are good)
- Liquid effects on Canopies (Possibly if research results are good)
- Key/Axis Mapping Dialog Re-design
- PWCG custom button in GUI (Similar to ROF)
- HEAT projectile
- Cavity bursting charge AP projectile
- TrackIR seen as separate device by game
- Misfires when gun overheated
- Blown engine if something going wrong with it
- Trimmers on axis

Edited by StG2_Raven

Yay, jet engines! You guys are delivering no matter what, so I have full confidence it will be great. I just hope the F-14 will be released in early 2018 though :/ - really need my carrier fix.

• Upvote 1

Bodenplatte?! That is a lot of new planes! All the RAF and USAAF plus many new Lufwaffe ones. And a map of Part of Holland, All Belgium, part of France and Germany with on it a lot of cities, rivers, railways, roads, bridge,etc....

On the plus side more or less flat terrain frome zero to 800 meters altitudes.

Courage. A wonderful Idea, I aplaud with hands and feet. Once more   thanks. :salute: 

​Sorry the ME-262 did not participate to Bodenplatte. 

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Operation_Bodenplatte

ME-262 did participate - according to this eyewitness account:

“The first hours of 1945 were spent letting in the New Year, wishing each other all the best and having a few beers,” recalled Leading Aircraftsman Desmond Shepherd, an armorer with RAF No. 137 Squadron at Eindhoven, Netherlands. “After breakfast I was crossing the runway, going toward the armoury….At that moment I heard gunfire. Looking up the runway I saw what looked like an Me-262 jet go streaking above my head. This was closely followed by several Fw-190s, and coming in the other direction were several Me-109s. I threw myself down onto the grass at the side of the runway.”

http://www.historynet.com/luftwaffes-last-blow-the-final-major-aerial-offensive-of-nazi-germany.htm

Edited by Zappatime
  • Upvote 1

I'm not disappointed about not doing Midway first, but i'm curious guys. Why the move from Midway to Western front 44/45? Was the scope to big for a 2018 release? 

Grt M

• Upvote 1

Yes. 'Operation Baseplate' is far better.

IL-2 Operation Baseplate

Hey guys, this is nonsense! This operation was actually called "Unternehmen Bodenplatte", so please don't translate this. Or would you also be happy with

"Operation red beard" instead of "Unternehmen Barbarossa"??? I don't think so.

Just my thoughts.

Cheerio

• Upvote 4

I have to second the notion that "Battle of Bodenplatte" is not optimally named IMO. "Bodenplatte" itself was limited to one day but given the dimensions specified for the map maybe a concentration on the Ardennes Offensive (Codenames changed from "Watch on the Rhine" to "Autumn Mist") and therefor the title "Battle of the Bulge" may be a) more fitting and b) better known especially in the US. In any case I'll be in my apartment early next week for a few days (to pick up some stuff I can use here during my convalescence) and I'll make sure to pack some of my books on the timeframe:

"The Battle of the Bulge - Then and Now" (invaluable for a plastic modeller)

"The Ardennes, 1944-45: Hitler's Winter Offensive" (by Christer Bergström)

"Bodenplatte - The Luftwaffe's Last Hope" (the​ definitive account by Manhro/Puetz)

The same goes for the tank title (Operation Citadel is IMO one of the most interesting and misunderstood operations of the entire war). I'll also make sure to pack appropriate literature for that (mostly "Blood, Steel and Myth - II. SS-Panzerkorps and the Road to Prochorowka", "Decision in the Ukraine 1943" both by George Nipe and "Demolishing the Myth" by Valeriy Zamulin).

@ Jason:

Depending on my convalescence (and what the docs say about my health problems) I'll try to be available for you guys should you need input and historical research help.

Edited by csThor
  • Upvote 12

Why IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte has no Founder Bar anymore??? Missing in Action???

This!

It would be nice to get SOMETHING after paying ...

(they might be working on this.)

News about "New ROF" makes me glad most of all. Thank you very much for that Jason! Of coruse I'm in Pre-Order of Flying Circus  :salute:

I have but a couple questions according to Flying Circus (FC):

1. Will FC get same functionality as BOX? I mean Editor and using of custom skins, for example
  2. Will FC get amazing "Feel of flight" from ROF (at least at the same level or will be even better)?
  3. Will FC get complete online experience as BOX has or is it supposed to be concentrated only at dog-fights sessions (the new name makes me to have such thoughts)
  4. Will FC get whole content of ROF in the future? I mean Campaign and all exisiting planes in ROF.
  5. Will ROF exist parallel to FC of it will be "closed" when FC will be ready to play?

Thanks in advance!

Oh my -what an announcement! 

Flying Circus is just awesome news. Take my money!

Thank you!

:salute:

Flo

So much for $100 :)

Fantastic news!!! And we will have Flying Circus!!!! Thanks guys for that! :salute: How cool! Had you guys put it on pre-order, you would have my money now...

Just great!!!

I am relatively new to flight sims so missed out on the "golden age" of rise of flight (bought most of it though lol). So this is good news in the canvas/wood flying suicide machine department...

Late war is interesting plane set. I am typically a attack/bomber pilot, but Me-262.... I mean.... !@&^%!*&@%$ ME TWO SIX TWO DUDE!!!

By default my obsession with WW2 is and always has been primarily focused on ground combat, tactics, weapons, vehicles, everything. Seeing the expansion into the tank realm is awesome. I am excited and honestly nervous about it at the same time. If the same amount of work into realism and attention to detail that is put into the flight sim is also put into the tank sim aspects....I will be a happy camper. A REALISTIC tank sim doesn't even exist. If you build it, we will come. Us tank guys have NOTHING to play anymore. Those "big" tank titles are a joke, for many reasons...... The list of IL2 vehicles is quite nice . It will really interesting to have human players function as AA weapons hehe. I was somewhat disappointed to not see one of my, if not my favorite, WW2 afv, the Stug III (F/8 specifically). Collector tanks??? DO IT.

• Like 1

Hey guys, this is nonsense! This operation was actually called "Unternehmen Bodenplatte", so please don't translate this. Or would you also be happy with

"Operation red beard" instead of "Unternehmen Barbarossa"??? I don't think so.

Just my thoughts.

Cheerio

I only translated it because the original comment by (presumably) a deutsch speaker was translated. I didn't mean the final product should be translated ... unclear of me I agree.

At first I felt immensely disappointed by the absence of the PTO - but then I read Jason's comment on that, and knowing that it is just postponed I feel better about it.

Flying Circus, ROF finally in VR, hell yeah!!!!! Take my money already, man this is really the best announcement!

Bodenplatte - at first I thought meh that's not what I wanted, but then I saw the Tempest - ever since I've read Clostermann (which was quite late in fact), I have wanted to fly the Tempest in a proper sim. That's awesome. I also happen to love the P47.

• Upvote 2

Fantastic news and thank you so much for Flying Circus, can't wait to pre order!

Daedallus

I have to second the notion that "Battle of Bodenplatte" is not optimally named IMO.

There will be plenty time to find out a good title that is both correct as well as fitting to the title convention. They could call it "Battle in Belgium", I'd still buy it. :)

Excellent news, probably the most interesting ETO air setup and campaign on the whole, bunch of late war planes, pinnacles of their types - cannot wait!

• Upvote 2

Bodenplatte?! That is a lot of new planes! All the RAF and USAAF plus many new Lufwaffe ones. And a map of Part of Holland, All Belgium, part of France and Germany with on it a lot of cities, rivers, railways, roads, bridge,etc....

On the plus side more or less flat terrain frome zero to 800 meters altitudes.

Courage. A wonderful Idea, I aplaud with hands and feet. Once more   thanks. :salute: 

​Sorry the ME-262 did not participate to Bodenplatte. 

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Operation_Bodenplatte

According to this publication,they did. 1./KG51, 2./KG51, 3./KG51

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=_uW3DAAAQBAJ&pg=PA454&lpg=PA454&dq=2kg51&source=bl&ots=5Gzn1NmLPa&sig=xNuPyZToivy3F3-SHjMnhQEWJ5w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjegvSS08XXAhVEtpQKHVCSA6MQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=2kg51&f=false

I hope Bodenplatte will receive a career mode as the current titles.

For the same reason I will wait a little over Flying Circus untill they will confirm a career mode; I will keep enjoying RoF for noe ;)

Not sure about the Spit 9 for Winter 44/45. I'd have thought a Spit 14 or so would be more appropriate but the 9 has the advantage of use on the Eastern Front too I suppose (and I guess they'll have Russian test docs already).

• Upvote 2

I just got the joboffer of my life...but then this came up and Im even happier! :D Thats sick but...262!!! I really checked to be sure its not april... 

Good job guys! very good job!

Edited by I./JG21-HeTzeR

Flying Circus....

A sequel to RoF....

This is so monumental!

Sure, Bodeplatte will be great, but a sequel to RoF with the VR immersion of IL-2 BoX is absolutely earth shattering news!

Thanks for listening, devs!

• Upvote 2