Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

Those claiming German aircraft were bad because of critical kill ratios in comparison to the Allied fighters in the late war, you may want to remember that the Allies extremely outnumbered the Luftwaffe's pilots, both tactically and even moreso strategically, even being able to rotate crews and pilots, while the German pilots were basically living in their cockpits.

• Upvote 3

Those claiming German aircraft were bad because of critical kill ratios in comparison to the Allied fighters in the late war, you may want to remember that the Allies extremely outnumbered the Luftwaffe's pilots, both tactically and even moreso strategically, even being able to rotate crews and pilots, while the German pilots were basically living in their cockpits.

Anyone can try a 1vs2 scenario and imagine how difficult it would be to fight outnumbered 10/1. :o

• Upvote 2

It's almost like when the lufties were trying to claim the Soviet planes were junk citing the k/d ratios of the early war when the Germans destroyed half the VVS on the ground during the invasion...

Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot :)

• Upvote 8

It's almost like when the lufties were trying to claim the Soviet planes were junk citing the k/d ratios of the early war when the Germans destroyed half the VVS on the ground during the invasion...

+1 and not to mention Luftwaffe had on many ocassions numerical advantage on the eastern front by concentrating airplanes and keeping the initiative.

• Upvote 3

Most lufties as you call them cite the performance parameters of aircraft as well as pilot anecdotes (which I mentioned doesn't take into account several factors like condition of the plane, and skill of the pilot).

Even 22 pages late to the party I still want to say a huge thank you to the devs for bringing their awesome work back to WW1.  ROF is the best game I've ever played, of all genres, and while I appreciate and am amazed by the fidelity of Il-2, it always just makes me wish we were getting that in ROF.  (A new title is fine, too.)  For all of the above announcements... shut up and take my money.  I'd pay for Flying Circus twice.

One request:  Please develop a career mode for it sooner than later.  The lack of one in BoS kept me away for years and I really don't think I'm alone.  For reference the ROF career mode is great.

Thanks again Devs.  I wish you to own this market.

Ceowulf<><

• Upvote 3

Authors name is actually Alfons Schertl, "Peter Henn" is a pseudonim.

SCHERTL, Alfons. (DOB: 15.04.20).

01.42 at Zerstörerschule 2.

10.42 trf to III./ZG 26 then to 2./NJG 5.

02.43 at JFS 2 (Zerbst).

01.04.43 promo to Oblt./A1.

05.43 trf to Erg.JGr. West.

21.06.43 trf to 6./JG 51.

02.44 Staka 6./JG 51.

23.04.44 WIA.

19.10.44 trf to SG 151.

14.11.44 Oblt., trf to 9./SG 4.

I have this book. You forgot to mention, that he feared P-47 also a lot (he was shot down by P-47's  on several times). "Achtung! Thunderbolts!" cry on radio-chatting usually brokes his gruppe like a wolf breaks rabbits.

You may also mention, time when that book was written - Cold War. Americans were superior in ex-Luftwaffe pilots memories books, Russkies were all lame ducks :)

Nice to know its true name. I never found enough info about the original author.  Yes he    admired the 47 (would say admire more than feared in the case of the p47.. at least when comapred to the sheer hatred he expressed towards the p38  :P )   he was clearly amazed how   resilient .. and HUGE...those things were

he was clearly amazed how   resilient .. and HUGE...those things were

I was reading awhile back, the account of one American pilot who was among the first to receive the new P-47's when they arrived in England.  He landed at an RAF station and taxied the Jug up to the sheds.  He switched off and climbed down, heading for the control room.  An Erk stood by, looking confused and asked hesitantly as the pilot walked past:  "Please Sir... Is anyone else coming out?"

• Upvote 1

do we have any sort of idea re what the map will look like ie. where in europe specifically?

The map "specifics" (size etc) have not been fully decided, but its fairly safe to assume that the map will be representative of something along the lines of this.

FnwIVMM.jpg

that would be a huge map with a lot of details to put in...

that would be a huge map with a lot of details to put in...

I would be "very" surprised if we got anything on this scale but hopefully we will get at least a fairly decent sized map.

Maybe just the central section?

Crikey, that's massive. :o: I was expecting something one-sixth of that.

it's certainly going to be interesting to see what we will get. To get some perspective of the scale, I think it's about 300 kilometres from Frankfurt to Eindhoven.

Edit: As I said above, we could maybe get the centre section of the map?

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

When using the Kuban map as a template for it's size and Jason remark that the Ardennen won't be there i would suspect something like this.

https://imgur.com/a/rmgu5

Post link to imgur because i can't get the image to work on the forum...  :huh:

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

When using the Kuban map as a template for it's size and Jason remark that the Ardennen won't be there i would suspect something like this.

Post link to imgur because i can't get the image to work on the forum... :huh:

That'll do just fine :)

One concern i have is that within that area there are a lot of big urban area's compared to the Stalingrad and Moscow map. I do hope they model my home town of Nijmegen. Which of-course would still be largely destroyed by the bombing in 44. 

Grt M 

Post link to imgur because i can't get the image to work on the forum...  :huh:

In another topic there were also some speculations and here is my guess of its size:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32268-bodenplatte-map/?p=534100

I can not imagine that the map will go further to the east with big cities like Köln, Bonn, Düsseldorf and the Ruhrgebiet to be included.

That is a tremendous amount of work.

Or it will be given the same solution as Moscow: not flyable but only to be seen from a distance.

More northward the Netherlands is also densily populated with Den Haag, Utrecht and Amsterdam and all the towns in between.

To the west is not such a problem, because North Sea.

But future will tell... ;)

Map.jpg

• Upvote 1

You might be right, but that would leave very little room for the German airfields. We will see. 

Grt M

Yep, hope we get till Frankfurt. :biggrin:

Honestly the german industrial cities around the ruhr all looked rather equally so I hope that wouldn't be a big thing.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking that with the new operation Bodenplatte we will get a new pilot model of the allies being American or British, not the Soviet we were using until now.

Did the Germans change the uniform in late war?

Yep, hope we get till Frankfurt. :biggrin:

Honestly the german industrial cities around the ruhr all looked rather equally so I hope that wouldn't be a big thing.

You mean equally ugly?  :ph34r:   ;)

BTW map of Bodenplatte could be used also for operation Market-Garden,I guess. With seasonal autumn map perhaps. 

You mean equally ugly?  :ph34r:   ;)

BTW map of Bodenplatte could be used also for operation Market-Garden,I guess. With seasonal autumn map perhaps. 

There not all that bad  ;) ... But i agree there are better looking city's.

Like Nijmegen, Maastricht and Utrecht...

The map "specifics" (size etc) have not been fully decided, but its fairly safe to assume that the map will be representative of something along the lines of this.

FnwIVMM.jpg

I'd expect Amsterdam to the North and Mannheim to the south would be our most optimistic borders and shift the map to the east as well.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

I suspect the map will extend farther east since many of the German airfields were just east of the Rhine. The Lufties have to take off from somewhere.  :biggrin:

post-13580-0-47626500-1511364560_thumb.jpg

Looking at a map of Allied air operations during the Bulge, a big chunk was devoted to interdiction, i.e. bridges, railway, etc. to choke off the flow of supplies to the forward troops. If the map extends out to the Cologne-Coblenz line, we get a lot of potential targets west of the Rhine.

I'd expect Amsterdam to the North and Mannheim to the south would be our most optimistic borders and shift the map to the east as well.

Yep, and maybe extending east as far as Düsseldorf or at a pinch Dortmund?

Edit, I just saw your edit  ;)

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

I was slow on the edit. So, here it is in it's own post.

This would be my prediction with Amsterdam probably being visible but off limits like Moscow is currently.

post-1221-0-06320000-1511365295_thumb.jpg

his would be my prediction with Amsterdam probably being visible but off limits like Moscow is currently.

I think the map may drop a bit further south to avoid Amsterdam altogether?  

Amsterdam or not.....central europe is and was overcrowded - lot of villages and huge cities, some with famous buildings in it (!) . Will be exciting to see how the team will solve that !

A formidable challenge - even more to the before planned Midway map ;)

Edited by III/JG53Frankyboy

I think the map may drop a bit further south to avoid Amsterdam altogether?

Agreed; north of Antwerp / Eindhoven is somewhat redundant but for much for what happened during the time-frame, south towards Luxembourg would likely better serve.

post-13580-0-56095300-1511366880_thumb.jpg

the map does not have to be exactly east-west. I think we will probably get something more like this.

Just bought my 'Bug Eye'. And I'm definitely buy IL-2:OB tomorrow! I hope it's a collectors edition because I want the 262 and the Tempest.

or this...

post-13580-0-16362100-1511367180_thumb.jpg

this one is good since you have a lot of German airfields and a lot of potential German terrain to fight over.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

or this...

attachicon.gifBodenplatte2.jpg

this one is good since you have a lot of German airfields and a lot of potential German terrain to fight over.

Have we gotten any maps that were not N/S? It seems really odd to me in general from navigating either cars or planes (yes I know about declination).

I'm keen to see whether the career Luftwaffe pilots stick to their 109s out of brand loyalty, or shift to the Allied side if it appears that the better fighters are found there.

Most stay loyal to what they flew in 1941, some change to Fw190A6/A9.  It might surprise the unexperienced in online combat that flight characteristics of P38/P47/P51 aircraft generally suit the seasoned Luftwaffles that are used to battle La5FN/Yak9/Late LaGG.

The only real fright is the Spitfire as it is a lot closer in flight style to post 1943 VVS fighters.

For example, for all the assets the Dora has (even the Mw50 equipped variant), I`ve never gave it much time over the G10/G14, let alone the Kurfurst.

Other than that I`d bet most LW flyers share the love for those American legends. I flew many D day coops on the USAF and I`ve always gotten much enjoyment from flying the Razorback P47, much more than I`ve ever had in the Focke Wulf.

Most stay loyal to what they flew in 1941, some change to Fw190A6/A9. It might surprise the unexperienced in online combat that flight characteristics of P38/P47/P51 aircraft generally suit the seasoned Luftwaffles that are used to battle La5FN/Yak9/Late LaGG.

The only real fright is the Spitfire as it is a lot closer in flight style to post 1943 VVS fighters.

For example, for all the assets the Dora has (even the Mw50 equipped variant), I`ve never gave it much time over the G10/G14, let alone the Kurfurst.

Other than that I`d bet most LW flyers share the love for those American legends. I flew many D day coops on the USAF and I`ve always gotten much enjoyment from flying the Razorback P47, much more than I`ve ever had in the Focke Wulf.

In Wilie Hellman's diary (190 pilot) he states that they didn't fear the Mustangs, but dreaded the P-47's that would dive on them at high speeds with 8 guns blazing away.

I'm really - REALLY looking forward to that Jug and Belgium map.

Completely assuages the PTO delay for me.

I´ll change not only my uniform but also my underwear when I found 4 mustangs sitting on my six

• Upvote 1