Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

Great to see us faithful Rise of Flight fans finally getting some love. On that note, will existing ROF players be given any sort of loyalty discount or bonus? Not trying to be ungrateful, just asking.

Thanks!

Matt

Personally I'll show my loyalty by paying full price and thus enabling further development.

Hi, Boss

How long will the pre-order last that allowing me still get access to steam key activation option? Too rich for my blood right now, considering snatch it during Christmas. 

Edit: I mean BOBP 

Edited by Jade-Rabbit

Wow, just like many people here I'm surprised we're not going for holidays in the Pacific. But in the end... The western front is just as exciting. Moreover my favorite engine is now coming... And in my second favorite bird ever... Can't wait to dive with that sweet P-47. I just wonder if this is gonna be the true razorback or the one with the bubble canopy. My heart beats more for the razorback <3 but i'll do with both :D. Really stoked to fly in late war american birds ! Preordering as soon as I see the release plan  :)

Thanks for the work done, and in advance for the work in progress, keep it up !  :biggrin:

Edited by MaxGM

The payment processor must be close to blowing a fuse today - another BOBP pre-order executed. That plane list, damn! P-47, Tempest, Dora, 262. My 50's are going to be a real pleasure. Thx 777, what an epic day. And looking forward to some bigger targets in the future. :-D

Disappointed that we aren't going to the Pacific yet, but also thrilled that BoX is doing well enough to enable the development of THREE new products :) 

Particularly I am looking forward to Flying Circus. RoF was before my time, and returning to it now that I'm accustomed to the standard of quality in BoX is difficult.

Regards

Albino

This is quite bad. The multiplayer community will be divided not only by having BOS.BoK and BOM but also having diffirent theaters of war purchased. This will be terrible. We all know how many people have been having problems without BOM on TAW already.

Also RIP soviet front. Remember this is where BOS originated from. Not done here yet.

I think there are far more positives in this than there are negatives.

I know it's months away from getting a hands on with any of the new aircraft but man, my day has been filled with dreams of twisting P-51s chasing 109s, 190s and jets. I know it's unfashionable to some to claim that late war 44-45 fighters as their main interest, but they are mine. The pinnacle of prop driven combat aircraft and arguably, each combatant nations most beautifully designed machines came late war.

The road map given us today, I think assures this series' production will last several years into the future. It might be disappointing in a way to many of us who wanted the Pacific, the upside is it is still coming and will be so much better when it arrives with all the improvements outlined. Be excited. Very excited. :)

I guess DCS would respond with new ww2 planes.

Now if that would be the case, call me a happy man. But since the development pace of DCS is so awful lame, I bet, we're well into Korea with all of WWII fleshed out, until we see another 2 or 3 modules for DCS. Sad but true. :(

Great news.

However, I should just point out that your 'unofficial' image of a Hawker Tempest V is incorrect to the extent that Tempests never used rockets, operationally, during WW 2. 

Also, odd there isn't a Mk 14 Spit in the mix although I suspect  a Mk 9 will be more than a handful for the hard pressed LW. 

Edited by Wulf

This may be finely a way for them to model some of my favorate wants aircraft wise,

Collectors planes:

AR 234

ME 163

And...

HE 162

The later has been a long time want if mine idk if it’s at all doable but that would be something

• Upvote 2

I may be able to offer a discount to ROF owners

...if they behave themselves as we build FC.

Jason

LOL. Nicely taken deflection shot Jason :)

Pretty sure 90% of RoF guys will be fine to pay for FC and support the initiative, but expectations of good behaviour might be a little optimistic!

Current RoF is pretty expansive. So there will be player expectations around earlier planes sets (eg Verdun, Bloody April), including 2 seaters and their activities like recon, arty spot.

Hopefully the road map to these will be handled as transparently as the Dev team have done recently with BoK.

Edited by PaulLMF

Great news.

However, I should just point out that your 'unofficial' image of a Hawker Tempest V is incorrect to the extent that Tempests never used rockets, operationally, during WW 2. 

eh...you sure about that?? 

Pre-ordered.

So looking forward to this, not to mention all the delicious skins that will be made by the community and missions that can be achieved with this plane set (Jv 44?). 

I was looking forward to PTO as well but I can see why Jason has gone this direction. The dev team have done a lot of work on the engine in the last 12-24months and it looks like its at a point where new content can be added quite quickly. Sticking with the ETO makes sense with the current plane set and its a period which a lot of simmers like due to the aircraft available, it also opens up IL2 to a larger audience, hence sales. I think going to a PTO now would take far longer for a potential smaller return which could potentially harm the IL2 project in the long run. I'm sure the devs will be working on aspects of the engine for PTO whilst doing the current stuff. 

But i'm excited for all of the planned additions. 

Wow, indeed, according to that site "Tempest Mk. V was tested and cleared to carry 8 zero length 60 lb ground attack rockets. But it was never used operationally during the war.".

Maybe they'll need to make the Typhoon afterall. ':-D

hmmm i see PO-2 in the works, so perhaps ROF style grid artillery spotting is in the works???

if so we may at some point see the Fi-156 Storch in Il-2 as the german artillery spotter? that would be damn cool!!!

or perhaps they could spot and radio in exact positions of moving targets such as trains, tanks and convoys?

Wow, indeed, according to that site "Tempest Mk. V was tested and cleared to carry 8 zero length 60 lb ground attack rockets. But it was never used operationally during the war.".

Maybe they'll need to make the Typhoon afterall. ':-D

I tried to upvote your post, but it said I ran out of positivity for the day lol. 

Rocket equipped Typhoon's would be great, but if it was a choice between Typhoon or Tempest I'd take the Tempest...I guess all this depends on how well everything sales as I would certainly buy the Typhoon and other collector planes :)

qquestion: Will the tanks be fighting infantry and AT guns etc. Or is it like WOT style sterilised battlefield apart from tanks?

Buy, Buy, Buy

You buy it if you like it,

Let the price so be it.

Hardly we can met someone who we like,

Why we still hold ourself but not to buy.

After all you may love some one,

But she may not love you.

But if you met something you like,

You pay for it, and it belong to you.

Even if you had some one who you love,

She still would leave you at the last.

But if you bought what you like,

It would accompany you for your whole life.

So don’t complain,

Just grab your wallet, and pay the money!

• Upvote 2

Well with the crap job DCS is doing of releasing their last two WWII theater planes (P-47, Me-262) I'll probably get both with BoX long before DCS ever releases them.  Did you see they are releasing the Ju-88, A-20 and a few more planes as AI.................. my install of DCS has not been played in quite some time.... probably won't be either.... :joy:

It's been so long since I read page one, is the P-38 we're getting going to have the boosted Ailerons ?

Thanks Jason................ looking forward to the remaining Battle of Kuban content before I really start thinking about flying my Jug and Lightning.....................

Oh yeah, preordered BoBP and collector planes...

Cheers

Hoss

qquestion: Will the tanks be fighting infantry and AT guns etc. Or is it like WOT style sterilised battlefield apart from tanks?

The battlefield will have whatever the mission maker puts there.

So that’s why they introduced the new bare aluminum skin. Can’t wait to see it on the P 51D… Cadillac of the sky!

And P38 and P47.

See, now whenever I play BoBP and see a Mustang I'll have to yell that hysterically like a young Christian Bale. :)

But seriously, this is a huge announcement. Loving every bit of it. Already have BoBP and La-5FN pre-ordered. Can't wait to fly those nice western aircraft (not that I don't like the eastern ones, but a shift like that will be great). The Spit IX and the Mustang, especially. :)

Oooh, that means we'll be seeing those gyro gunsights too. Looking forward to seeing how they work!

Yes you will need to buy improved airplanes and a new map. How the heck am I supposed to survive as a company if I have to not sell you things that require labor to complete? I may be able to offer a discount to ROF owners if they behave themselves as we build FC.

Jason

I would gladly pay full price. No issue there. Also betting people would be willing to pay $30 for a multicore dserver as a standalone DLC that works for all the theatres as it does now. (I would...). Maybe leave the basic one up to allow people to get their feet wet. I certainly can't speak for anyone else active here, but it's my opinion and honest attempt to find a profitable solution.

• Upvote 1

Wow, just like many people here I'm surprised we're not going for holidays in the Pacific. But in the end... The western front is just as exciting. Moreover my favorite engine is now coming... And in my second favorite bird ever... Can't wait to dive with that sweet P-47. I just wonder if this is gonna be the true razorback or the one with the bubble canopy. My heart beats more for the razorback <3 but i'll do with both :D. Really stoked to fly in late war american birds ! Preordering as soon as I see the release plan  :)

Thanks for the work done, and in advance for the work in progress, keep it up !  :biggrin:

I pray for a Razorback.

But a Jug by any other name........................well, you know.

Edited by chris455

P-51!, P-47D!, P-38L! G-14 and K4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   HOLY SHIT I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-12904-0-13054200-1510981605_thumb.png

Edited by [SKINR]_SPEKTRE76

I tried to upvote your post, but it said I ran out of positivity for the day lol. 

Rocket equipped Typhoon's would be great, but if it was a choice between Typhoon or Tempest I'd take the Tempest...I guess all this depends on how well everything sales as I would certainly buy the Typhoon and other collector planes :)

That happened to me too, lol. A day of widespread joy. We should have a BoBP announcement commemoration day this time next year.  :biggrin:

Wow, great news.

BoBo has my instant attention - finally a late war west front sim! And the Spit and Tempest! Oh my! All we're missing now is a Tiffy and a Mossie....

Tank Crew also looks intriguing. I've never really played a realistic tank game, this could be a ton of fun.

Just gonna copy what I wrote on another forum about my impressions on this planeset.

I'm eager to fly this planeset, it seems to be some good matchups. You've got the German high-performers in the K-4 and the Dora, but the RAF will get the Tempest which could be argued to be the number 1 fighter that saw combat in the war. That speed and power is nothing to laugh about. The Mustang is a great plane too, and at high altitudes the Jug will be in a great spot.

The A-8, G-14, and Spitfire IX don't have the power or speed that the others do, but good pilots should be able to get good results when flown well. No one should underestimate the Spitfire's turning ability and the IX has quite a good climb rate as well.

The Me 262 will be a blast, a huge speed advantage and massive firepower, but of course hard to manoeuvre. Spit IXs were able to shoot down 262s, the first ever 262 shot down by fighters was taken out by a flight of Spit IXs from 401 Squadron. Good pilots will be able to have a ton of success with this beast of a jet however.

The theatre included will also be interesting, personally I've never got to fly in that area in a sim, so I'm excited. Bodenplatte missions, ground attack, sneaky German low level runs, it will be fun. Will be the first BoX sim I've bought since the original BoS.

Wow, great news.

BoBo has my instant attention - finally a late war west front sim! And the Spit and Tempest! Oh my! All we're missing now is a Tiffy and a Mossie....

Tank Crew also looks intriguing. I've never really played a realistic tank game, this could be a ton of fun.

Just gonna copy what I wrote on another forum about my impressions on this planeset.

I'm eager to fly this planeset, it seems to be some good matchups. You've got the German high-performers in the K-4 and the Dora, but the RAF will get the Tempest which could be argued to be the number 1 fighter that saw combat in the war. That speed and power is nothing to laugh about. The Mustang is a great plane too, and at high altitudes the Jug will be in a great spot.

The A-8, G-14, and Spitfire IX don't have the power or speed that the others do, but good pilots should be able to get good results when flown well. No one should underestimate the Spitfire's turning ability and the IX has quite a good climb rate as well.

The Me 262 will be a blast, a huge speed advantage and massive firepower, but of course hard to manoeuvre. Spit IXs were able to shoot down 262s, the first ever 262 shot down by fighters was taken out by a flight of Spit IXs from 401 Squadron. Good pilots will be able to have a ton of success with this beast of a jet however.

The theatre included will also be interesting, personally I've never got to fly in that area in a sim, so I'm excited. Bodenplatte missions, ground attack, sneaky German low level runs, it will be fun. Will be the first BoX sim I've bought since the original BoS.

now you mentioned it, my first ever flight sim Janes combat simulator was based in the ardennes during Bodenplatte :D im coming home!! it still has my most memorable game intro "haha yank!"

Edited by Kiwi92

One things certain, I see much vulching going on around 262 airfields!

Hope there are Flak Towers to discourage this...

• Upvote 1

Hope there are Flak Towers to discourage this...

something tells me the first month will be jet month with EVERYONE flying the 262 till they realise she aint such a wonderbird no more when a little flak or opening the throttle too fast sets the engine aflame :D 

Good decision :biggrin: ........I'm so happy !!!

ordered ..

The only thing missing.!

1. increase the visibility of the contacts

then everything else is ordered ;)

Jason,

Or anyone really; do you have links to the other images like your commissioned image set as well as the new Bodenplatte art? I'm looking for full size Stalingrad,Moscow,and Kuban art.

Example: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_11_2017/post-13-0-08443500-1510884796.jpg

These are really great phone backgrounds and I'd like to collect them all.

Sorry for Off topic discussion but these just keep the hype going for me!

We gotta bring more people into the BOX just to reward the amazing service and team behind the project.  As soon as I have the money, I'll happily buy all the products just to support the team's consistent engagement and effort.  Wow.  Also excited for a dynamic campaign and AI improvements.

Wow, you got my heart racing!

But my wallet dropped at Flying Circus. :lol:

I think i see what the devs reasoning was... Pacific would have been more turn n burn on the deck with surface attack much like it is now in BoS/M/K. With the aircraft we have in BoP....I can foresee high alt missions where the P51s and 38s are covering high alt AI bombers from 262s and 109K.

I am also quite perplexed by the choice of making the Spitfire Mk. IX.

Although it was still in use as a fighter-bomber (among Sqds like RAF 331), it was not equal to the Luftwaffe fighters. A more natural choice would have been to make the Spitfire Mk XIV or the Spitfire Mk XVI.

Starfire clear!  :salute:

I agree the Mk 14 would be 'even more awesome', but, the Mk 16 was in reality no better or worse than a contemporary Mk 9; in fact it used exactly the same airframe.    The Mk 16 was just  a late war Mk 9 airframe fitted with a Packard Merlin optimized for low altitude operations.

I think i see what the devs reasoning was... Pacific would have been more turn n burn on the deck with surface attack much like it is now in BoS/M/K. With the aircraft we have in BoP....I can foresee high alt missions where the P51s and 38s are covering high alt AI bombers from 262s and 109K.

That's not the devs' reasoning. Jason was very clear about that, all caps and all: They just don't have enough info about the cockpit of the Japanese planes to model them, and the info they do have takes time to translate. It's not like high-alt missions is by itself the goal that the devs are aiming to achieve.

It was pleasant news, especially regarding the Flying Circus module. It will be fun to fly those planes with the BOX crowd. It will make the game complete -- perhaps lacking just the Sabre X Mig duel, but who knows what the future brings? But I expect some work on some of the WWI flight models and the import of ROF reflection, which I think is unfortunately lacking in BOX.

It would be nice to see the Mosquito as a collectible aircraft as well. She's a true legend. Regarding the P-38L... that's the icing on the cake. I'm excited about it! The whole thing was the right move. Congrats. I hope sales and the market grow with this (and it should). I got the Battle of Bodenplatte module and I'll get the rest as it goes.

Godspeed,
SeaW0lf.