Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

I was thinking that with the new operation Bodenplatte we will get a new pilot model of the allies being American or British, not the Soviet we were using until now.

It's a good bet that there will be new pilot models for the US and British, along with new voices.

• Upvote 1

The 352nd Mustang pilots I talked with directly (McKibben, Powel, Bryan, Rigby, Starck, Moats, Wood) all said they'd gladly have traded their P-51 to get their Jugs back when flying ground attack missions.

In the air against 109's it was a different story, but at least one of them (cant' remember which now I'd have to go through my recordings) said he missed the 8x .50 cals since they often broke up German attacks

by flying head-on into their formations with guns blazing. ( sorry, for all you "head on's are for dweebs" types) it's what they did...in fact it became more or less doctrine.

Wood was a replacement and never flew Jugs with the 352nd, but noted that he'd gladly have traded.

Performance against the 109 at all altitudes did not pose a problem for the Mustang pilots who I talked to....this is where survivor bias comes in.

The ones who mixed it up and didn't make it were not around for me to interview. This is always a problem that you have to keep in mind when talking

with vets. Some got away with things that maybe should have gotten them killed, but they were lucked and lived to tell about it.

Bud Anderson's "straight up" fight is a good example of this. Many of you know that flying straight up into a stall and hanging there like a kite is a REALLY good way to get shot down.

I've splashed more than one player who was doing this in years past....you make an easy target. Most of us know not to do this, yet Bud Anderson did exactly this not once during that engagement, but twice.

Other's that did the same thing are dead and not here to talk about their "straight up fight" Bud did, and he can tell the story even though by all rights it should have killed him.

This is why trying to get a handle on German aircraft performance from vets is almost futile. I've tried various questions, framed in different ways.

The gist is always the same...the 109's and 190's posed little problem with rare exceptions...again for these surviving pilots.

Same thing on the German side etc. Willie Heilman remarked about how he didn't fear the Mustang...he has many dead buddies who are not here to counter why maybe one should.

Is what it is.

Which is why you can and should read what Eric Brown said about the German fighters. A man who knew his way around nearly all the combat airplanes of WW2, who was not biased for or against any one country's aircraft (he spoke fluent German and his family was very close with Luftwaffe officers before the war), and who made very specific and holistic notes on the performance of each aircraft, from a combat pilot's perspective.

You can pick used copies of his "Wings of the Luftwaffe" books very cheaply, and I highly recommend you do this and read them, rather than "suppose" things online.

I'm not saying this to you specifically, but since you bring up the idea that vets do not know what they are talking about due to "survivor bias". Eric Brown flew all the aircraft and could compare them directly.

Edited by Venturi
  • Upvote 3

Which is why you can and should read what Eric Brown said about the German fighters. A man who knew his way around nearly all the combat airplanes of WW2, who was not biased for or against any one country's aircraft (he spoke fluent German and his family was very close with Luftwaffe officers before the war), and who made very specific and holistic notes on the performance of each aircraft, from a combat pilot's perspective.

You can pick used copies of his "Wings of the Luftwaffe" books very cheaply, and I highly recommend you do this and read them, rather than "suppose" things online.

I'm not saying this to you specifically, but since you bring up the idea that vets do not know what they are talking about due to "survivor bias". Eric Brown flew all the aircraft and could compare them directly.

Venturi - thank you for that.

However please be advised that I did not say, nor would I ever say that the vets "don't know what they're talking about". In fact I didn't even imply such an arrogant statement.

I simply indicated why their testimonies should be tempered a bit by the survivor bias factor and provided examples as to why.

Most of us realize that the "best aircraft" question is an impossible to answer moving target - no matter who's book you read.

It's a good bet that there will be new pilot models for the US and British, along with new voices.

Omg I didn't even think about this but THANK FRICKEN GOD lol...

That would be so nice, to be able to understand the dialogue!

That would be so nice, to be able to understand the dialogue!

I really hope that the design and variety of the AI speech gets changed. The current setup is very poor indeed. Very much a makeshift and placeholder only.

I really hope that the design and variety of the AI speech gets changed. The current setup is very poor indeed. Very much a makeshift and placeholder only.

I hope you have it ready when mods on mode comes. I can't wait to hear the Il-2 gunner cursing again when I pull hard manoeuvres :)

Played il2 in vr for the first time in ages as i've been building a sim rig & its taken a long while to get round to completing it. I'm amazed how well it runs in vr, everything looks really amazing BOK is stunning (apart from planes going into clouds) So bit of a surprise to see the announcement, very exciting news hope it stays in pre-order for a while as i can't contemplate trying to get the money together, also can it be confirmed if it will support VR from the start? But congrats on work done so far & everything to come in the future. 

I have a question about the free aircraft for the demo. Will it be like RoF with one free aircraft per side like the Spad and Albatross?

Just wondering because I want to set up my own server with WW1 and WW2 missions in rotation and I dont want to limit the amount of players who can play. So will we have 1-2 free aicraft per era? Like 1 axis and 1 allied for ww2 and then the same for ww1.

Incredible!! i know some folks where thinking along the lines of the Pacific campaign,i for one am super excited about the 3 new scenarios,after being a WW2 historian for 25 years of the European conflict you can get a good idea where my loyalty resides,thank you so much for these 3 new exciting campaigns specially Bodenplatte ,definitely a forgotten historical episode of a major aerial battle between the allies and the Luftwaffe in some of their last desperate hours, couldn't even imagine how much fun this will be in a video game,if you like action this will definitely give you a run for your money,again thank you!! 

Excuse me while I throw money at you like a frat boy at a titty bar. I get to blow up my Me262's engines once again!

Edited by ruby_monkey
  • Upvote 3

I'm happy that WW2 development is at least continuing.  Very happy to see RoF continued.  Not interested in ground sims.  

I will buy all of these when released but for reasons which I am precluded from discussing here I will no longer preorder everything that is announced.

I sold my HOTAS  and stopped flight simming , but for Flying Circus I will re-buy a HOTAS and VR gear. 

• Upvote 2

I do hope your tank game has lots of AT guns and infantry. Imagine attacking line after line of Soviet fortifications in your Panther, with Mark IVs and Tigers brewing up all over the place due to infantry and AT guns, and with lots of machine gun fire from the tanks and from the infantry.

As to the Western Front sim, could this be an opportunity to have better ground attack? The TAF in the West often had their planes guided from the ground, a typical mission might have a group of Shermans advancing through various defenses and ambushes, with the ground units calling out specific targets to the pilot(often the hardest target for them to kill themselves). It would be an interesting challenge in game.

Edited by hames123

Looks great although somewhat disappointed the next expansion isn't the Pacific. I just hope we don't get the ridicilous arguments about these late war scenarios like we got with IL2, with people whining for their mythical late war plane, run on some unique high octane, high boost setting, where one example was tested. Or there was the .50 cal grouping...

Looks great although somewhat disappointed the next expansion isn't the Pacific. I just hope we don't get the ridicilous arguments about these late war scenarios like we got with IL2, with people whining for their mythical late war plane, run on some unique high octane, high boost setting, where one example was tested. Or there was the .50 cal grouping...

OFC We won’t!

You  know very well that Bttle of the Forum will be  the ultimate expansion! Featuring  .50 that can    kill tigers, 109s that can  otuclimb a  saturn V and   Spitfires that can  circles    with  half a meter radius!

Question to all you WW1 guys,

Does the proposed FC series have balloons and Zeppelins to shoot down?

My kids have just watched FlyBoys (for the 100th time) and at last my eldest now appears to be interested in WW1 aircraft.  I showed him this announcement and he asked if it would be like the  FlyBoys film (the aircraft types and Balloons etc).  As I'm not really be a WW1 aircraft expert/fan I was hoping that somebody might be able to give a brief summary/comparison either here or PM me regarding FC and Flyboys!?

Regards and Thank you for any help.

Haza

WTF! OMG! YGBSM!

Pleasant surprises all around. The biggest one was probably the tank sim, which fills a great big hole in the market.

Keep up the superlative work!

I know a lot of people are excited, but im not one of them. I’m wildly disappointed about the delay for th Pacific Theatre. We’ve got Europe in spades right now, I’m staving for air to ship battles.

Was really looking forward to Midway :(, will likely sit this one out.

Very, very pleased about this - we (the virtual reality community) have been waiting and hoping for RoF in the new engine and especially VR and now I am grinning like a Cheshire cat!

Tank battles in VR sounds great, too.

I'll start saving (poor exchange rate for stirling means the prices are above the norm for now - but hope things will have evened out by the time of release), being a poor old pensioner - but this is definitely a priority purchase.

• Upvote 1

Question to all you WW1 guys,

Does the proposed FC series have balloons and Zeppelins to shoot down?

My kids have just watched FlyBoys (for the 100th time) and at last my eldest now appears to be interested in WW1 aircraft.  I showed him this announcement and he asked if it would be like the  FlyBoys film (the aircraft types and Balloons etc).  As I'm not really be a WW1 aircraft expert/fan I was hoping that somebody might be able to give a brief summary/comparison either here or PM me regarding FC and Flyboys!?

Regards and Thank you for any help.

Haza

download Rise of FLight - the Spad 13 and Albi V (IIRC) are free to fligh...and yes, you can shoot Ballons , but no Zeppelins - and sure you can shoot all the other planes  - you just cant fly them.

Quick question which I can't seem to find online, which spitfire had greater numbers at bodenplatte? the IX or the XVI ?  :salute:

Wonderful news. Just to be picky One of the bonus pictures shows a Tempest with rockets I think that's wrong The Tempest never used rockets in WW2 

Had another look at the picture, from the thickness of the wing root I think it is  a Typhoon.

Just pre-ordered Bodenplatte.

Excited for early access!

Edited by skline00

Wonderful news. Just to be picky One of the bonus pictures shows a Tempest with rockets I think that's wrong The Tempest never used rockets in WW2 

Had another look at the picture, from the thickness of the wing root I think it is  a Typhoon.

Yes, rockets were not used on Tempests until post WWII :)

You think Mustang and Spit drivers will argue less than 109 and Fw drivers when their time comes? 

Welcome to the forums rook, batten down the hatches. It's gonna be a long night.

JK

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Quick question which I can't seem to find online, which spitfire had greater numbers at bodenplatte? the IX or the XVI ?  :salute:

Spit IX I think, someone posted an order of battle for both sides for Jan 1945 somewhere in the forum, I cannot remember where, sorry. An XVI is just a IX with a Packard, rather than a RR, Merlin. The XIV is the one with the RR Griffon engine.

Yes, rockets were not used on Tempests until post WWII :)

But was the capability there during WW2? I think that's the more relevant question.

If the reason they weren't used was because there were alternative platforms that could deploy them, the reality ingame is that we don't have these (yet).

In the end its up to the devs, but I don't feel like its particularly more realistic that we'd have no way of using RP3 at this stage in the war.

A S T O U N D I N G !

Edit: Im still reeling from the shock but this is everything I wanted from the game.

I expect it all to be completed by Xmas ;)

OrLoK on the forums too :D im the guy who asked you for the font lol 

Had another look at the picture, from the thickness of the wing root I think it is a Typhoon.

The Tempest did use rockets in WW2.

Tempests were tested and capable of carrying rockets. Their use in combat is debatable and they certainly were not widely deployed that way during Bodenplatte. I have no problems with arming them up that way as an option as it fits the timeframe and how we have previously deployed numerous AC in this game.

*Thanks Franky, fixed it.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf