Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

On the 13lb Tempest, I saw a technical document "it was a Napier brochure" that state the over the 3000HP as well as the tempest II. For the life of me i cant find it ill try and see if i can locate it again. "this was 8 years ago haha"

Tempest II (confusingly), was later into service with a Bristol Centaurus and likely had 2,500hp (or there abouts).

The Sabre IIB, used in late Tempest Vs, had - nominally - 2,400 hp at max output. The Sabre VI (post-war, Tempest VI) had 2,600hp and a few later models were rated at 3,000 hp or more, but that is late 1940s.

If we get a later Series II Tempest V, which would be probably the most balanced and common variant by Christmas 1944-45, you get 2,400 hp at absolute maximum. A summer '44 variant would have closer to 2,200 hp, but that would not be so fair against 109K-4s and 190D-9s which are end-of-year time-frame. Hopefully 2,400 hp for the Tempest V, with (IIRC) a 5 minute advised limit on full boost.

• Upvote 1

As to the naming discussion, if it has to contain "Battle" how about "Battle of the Low Countries"? I think "Operation Bodenplatte" is best, though.

Can I suggest a change for the franchise title? Maybe "One-O-Nine: Battle of..."

Wow! Was not expecting that. Saw the P-51 on the box and practically choked on my breakfast. Easiest $69 I ever spent. I might finally be able to uninstall 1946 because the only reason I still have it is for the P-51 and P-47. 

Rise of Flight 2! Amazing! Spent hundreds of hours on that blasting holes in those rickety canvas contraptions and I can't wait for it to be upgraded to the new IL-2 engine. 

Tanks announcement was meh for me but I'm not a tank guy. 

Delaying the pacific is fine with me. I would much rather you guys take the time to do it right then pull a Mass Effect Andromeda and give us a half finished buggy broken game. 

• Upvote 1

If you are upset about the name, please read what I said in the original announcement. We are well aware that it was an "operation". I did plenty of research on calling it battle or "The Low-Countries" etc. What I found was that most people equate fighting over the low-countries to the beginning of the war, not the end. Would confuse people. Calling it the Battle of Ardennes with no Ardennes on the map doesn't work either. Bodenplatte is the famous attack associated with this geographic area and this time period. Obviously, much of the air war at this time was about tactical attacks to allow the Allies a way into Germany making a perfect scenario for our style of product and Career system etc.

I cant model every facet of the entire war, I need to find ways to fit in what works with the tools I have.

Jason 

• Upvote 12

M4A2! Not sure if I'm the only one excited about that, but I've been wishing for the days of Panzer Elite again.

Looking forward to the other tank in the air; P-47. Incredibly excited about everything else. What a surprise!

A little sad about not getting the Pacific content, but one day hopefully.

Holy F*ck!

The most amazing news, I’m going to have to reread it a few times to allow it all to sink in! It’s like Christmas has come early. I’m so pleased with the plane set and especially the ROF update. I will definitely be preordering.

Well done to the DEV and thanks.

Fantastic!

If you are upset about the name, please read what I said in the original announcement. We are well aware that it was an "operation". I did plenty of research on calling it battle or "The Low-Countries" etc. What I found was that most people equate fighting over the low-countries to the beginning of the war, not the end. Would confuse people.

Jason 

Exactly my first impression, "low countries" implies France 1940.

"Operation Bodenplatte" still seems best to me, although maybe it sounds like minor DLC rather than a full title. The "Battle of" prefix isn't really necessary for every title IMHO. 2c.

In the end the content is the key and it's looking pretty darn good. :-)

Western Front scenario?

Rebooting RoF in the IL2 engine?

Tank crew/ ground warfare?

I have officially died and gone to Heaven!  :biggrin: 

Preorders placed, can't wait for all the new content and I love the direction il2 is going! Hope everyone realizes that the sim community is relatively small and needs our support to stay alive! And to those that are calling for the "death" of other sims with very small amounts of cross-content, why the heck would you ever want that? It's all well worth having available on your hardrive.

Anyway, thanks il2 team for your hard work!

OMG - when I saw the pre-announcement about the announcement over on the RoF forums I tried really hard to suppress my expectations and convince myself that they were just trying to reach the audience over there.  I figured that this was probably just going to be something Pacific-related (I thought maybe they'd say something about going to New Guinea before Okinawa or something like that).  So I was totally gobsmacked to read about Flying Circus.  RoF in VR - what a dream!  RoF has always been my first love (even though I've bought everything the team has done for BoX), but I haven't been able to bring myself to fly it since I got my Rift, cause BoX in VR is so awesome.  Now I'm over the moon about being able to fly RoF again when Flying Circus arrives.  And it will be a great excuse for buying the next gen VR units that probably should be coming out about then, too.

Every part of this announcement is welcome news (despite delay for the PTO), but Flying Circus takes the grand prize - THANKS JASON and TEAM!

Thanks for putting those links in the announcement - pre-ordered all of the available ones before I even made it all the way through the announcement post :)

• Upvote 5

I am absolutely thrilled by all of this. I do appreciate that the money I will be sending you shortly is for 2 newly added collector planes and the the Battle of Bodenplatte but in my heart 50% of it is for Flying Circus, 35% of it is for Tank Crew and the last 15% is for the funding the beginnings of jet engine research that will form the basis for some future goodness. Well done. Most of all I would like to congratulate the developers on what they have accomplished to date and what they will accomplish over the next few years. 

Edited by Rustedgun

Great announcement :good:

I personally do not have problems with the postpone/delay of the PTO as I anyway more prefer the European scenario rather than flying for hours over blue water... :biggrin:

The plane set of BoB(odenplatte) is of course fascinating whereas the 262 is for me the most thrilling one.

However, the best news for me is the refurbishment of RoF and consequently the hope that the WW1 scenario will continue for a longer time than expected (unfortunately the multiplayer numbers in RoF are seriously decreasing in the last months).

My question for the RoF sequel would be if the existing owners of the original RoF will get any benefit or the Flying Circus will be sold as a fully independent game ?

My question as well, I did a search and only found this post so forgive me if this has been answered.  Will the ROF owners like me who have about everything ROF includes get merged in or will this be a stand alone thing and ROF will stay as it is for those of us who have it?

But wow what great news! What a great time to be in flight sims!

Edit: I'd say BBP as BOB can be confused with Battle of Britain there JM

Edited by 1./KG4_Blackwolf

If you are upset about the name, please read what I said in the original announcement. We are well aware that it was an "operation". I did plenty of research on calling it battle or "The Low-Countries" etc. What I found was that most people equate fighting over the low-countries to the beginning of the war, not the end. Would confuse people. Calling it the Battle of Ardennes with no Ardennes on the map doesn't work either. Bodenplatte is the famous attack associated with this geographic area and this time period. Obviously, much of the air war at this time was about tactical attacks to allow the Allies a way into Germany making a perfect scenario for our style of product and Career system etc.

I cant model every facet of the entire war, I need to find ways to fit in what works with the tools I have.

Jason 

Jason, butmay be Battle of Bulge will fit?

• Upvote 1

I have vehemently opposed Pre-Ordering anything, for years. For my own personal reasons.

Today, I am changing my ways.

You will be receiving my money very soon, and I am excited to give it. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

Tempest II (confusingly), was later into service with a Bristol Centaurus and likely had 2,500hp (or there abouts).

The Sabre IIB, used in late Tempest Vs, had - nominally - 2,400 hp at max output. The Sabre VI (post-war, Tempest VI) had 2,600hp and a few later models were rated at 3,000 hp or more, but that is late 1940s.

If we get a later Series II Tempest V, which would be probably the most balanced and common variant by Christmas 1944-45, you get 2,400 hp at absolute maximum. A summer '44 variant would have closer to 2,200 hp, but that would not be so fair against 109K-4s and 190D-9s which are end-of-year time-frame. Hopefully 2,400 hp for the Tempest V, with (IIRC) a 5 minute advised limit on full boost.

Yes. The Napier IIc with roughly 3000 hp output was only issued around April 1945. We should get Tempests with the IIb and 2400 hp.

Alas, there were few Tempests available at that time, as there was a large strike at Hawkers factories around new Year 1945. There is a photograph of the assembly lines of that time. Full of aircraft under construction, but only one girl working. Her husband was a Tempest pilot stationed on the continent. They had to drag her out by force to fully close the assembly lines.

This strike was anothe big reason for the relativlely low numbers of Tempests on the continent. At least Tempests of Wing 122 didn‘t get the worst of Operation Bodenplatte, as most aircraft were on mission at the time of the strike.

Calling it the Battle of Ardennes with no Ardennes on the map doesn't work either. 

Oh sorry...my bad. I conflated "Parts of the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany" in the announcement to include the Ardennes.

The "Battle of" prefix isn't really necessary for every title IMHO. 2c.

I don't mind what they call it but It's about creating a brand.  

@Panzerbar;  Battle of Bulge/Battle of Ardennes = same thing.  

Edited by DD_Arthur

Calling it the Battle of Ardennes with no Ardennes on the map doesn't work either.

So Battle of the Bulge scenarios won't be possible in the next title? This would be rather disappointing. If I am not mistaken, there was almost no fighting on the ground in the region further to the north in the winter 44/45.

Edited by Juri_JS

I don't mind what they call it but It's about creating a brand.

Exactly. Since it's already been titled in the artwork and store, I don't think they are looking for community input for a name.

...much of the air war at this time was about tactical attacks to allow the Allies a way into Germany making a perfect scenario for our style of product and Career system etc.

Jason

Bodenplatte is a perfect fit. The planeset will go over well in the west, while the tank stuff will sell like mushroom blinni in the east. Good bussiness sense here while buying us all time to come up with a good translation of the Mitsubishi A6m2 operating manual...

I don't care what it's called I'm sold. pre ordered plus the 2 new collector planes even though, with the introduction of the RAF and USAAF, i'll hardly fly them. I was looking forward to taking a hellcat off and back onto a carrier but that can wait. I'm sold on the idea that Jasons passion for the genre and in particular the pacific that one day it will happen. A great move that will bring in a lot more players and will help grow the franchise. Great news.

So that’s why they introduced the new bare aluminum skin. Can’t wait to see it on the P 51D… Cadillac of the sky!

And P38 and P47.

So that’s why they introduced the new bare aluminum skin. Can’t wait to see it on the P 51D… Cadillac of the sky!

And P38 and P47.

I'm looking forward to seeing the glint in the sky of the sun hitting the bare aluminum skins.

Gonna be cool! :cool:

So Battle of the Bulge scenarios won't be possible in the next title? This would be rather disappointing. If I am not mistaken, there was almost no fighting on the ground in the region further to the north in the winter 44/45.

Battle of the Bulge -epic as it was- wasn't much of an air war was it? Bodenplatte scenario makes much more sense I think.

Seriously lighten up a bit Juri. My hope is to someday have an Ardennes map that is useful, the locations of airfields and terrain don't make it the best for a flight-sim. Lucky we'll have some tanks. :-)

Jason

• Upvote 6

Terrific News have just purchased 'Bodenplatte' and 2 collector planes. Two important RAF planes that are missing, which could become collector planes, are the Spitfire 14 and the Typhoon 1B. Keep up the good work, I really enjoyed re-creating the battle of 'Bodenplatte' in the original IL2 Sturmovik game. Will look forward to fly the Fw190D-9 with oxygen masks and drop tanks.

DFLion

• Upvote 1

Improvement of IA and RoF2 with new engine, FM, and VR. Great news !

But will we have to buy again all the planeset of Rof ?

Improvement of IA and RoF2 with new engine, FM, and VR. Great news !

But will we have to buy again all the planeset of Rof ?

This is not ROF 2 it is Flying Circus based on IL 2 series FM , an you will have to buy them

This is not ROF 2 it is Flying Circus based on IL 2 series FM , an you will have to buy them

Oh well. Money is transient.

Flying is forever. :fly:

Jason 

Edit: never mind, I think I have it figured out..

Edited by Sharpe43

It will take some time to learn the new name though.

What's the consensus on the short form? BOB? BBP?

BoBo

I'm super excited about the upcoming remodeling of RoF / Flying Circus!