...\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

This file has an IPD offset setting. It is set to 0.00 by default, I tried to change it to 0.1 and got picture in my Oculus rift with tiny planes, just like you described yours in Odyssey. So, if you guys try to set it like -0.035 it might help your experience in Odyssey with IL2. It will probably screw other games, so will have to change this setting every time switching games I guess.

I now have multiple config files for SteamVR each seemingly with different options (try searching "default.vrsettings").  Do we know for sure which ones will be applied to the Odyssey (as opposed to the Oculus).  I may have a more complicated setup because I have both headsets. 

I now have multiple config files for SteamVR each seemingly with different options (try searching "default.vrsettings").  Do we know for sure which ones will be applied to the Odyssey (as opposed to the Oculus).  I may have a more complicated setup because I have both headsets.

I also have the Rift and Odyssey. Hopefully someone smart can help us out

I have tried lefuneste's 3DMigoto tool with my Windows Mixed Reality HDM and it fixed the IPD issue.  Drop the files into the relevant folder, load the sim and press Left ALT + Left Arrow.  Instant IPD fix.

You can even customise the amount of IPD adjustment if you want to fine tune the effect.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-vr/

I have tried lefuneste's 3DMigoto tool with my Windows Mixed Reality HDM and it fixed the IPD issue.  Drop the files into the relevant folder, load the sim and press Left ALT + Left Arrow.  Instant IPD fix.

You can even customise the amount of IPD adjustment if you want to fine tune the effect.

So nothing looks tiny anymore?

No, big improvement (pun intended) :)

As you know the issue was that it felt like you were sitting in a smaller cockpit, so everything looked slightly out of scale.  For me closing one eye brought the image back to what should be expected.

Another issue the wrong IPD has is the feeling that the entire world moves slightly when you shift from side to side.  To get an example look down at your seat and move from side to side, the seat moves with you ever so slightly.  Do the same with one eye closed and the world stays static when you shift from side to side.

Using lefuneste's tool massivley reduces this issue with the default settings and with some tweaking it goes away entirely.  Obvioulsy the tweak/setting you use for the IPD will depend on your actual IPD.

• Upvote 1

I tried various things with steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings besides what was mentioned here and nothing seemed to help. I have the Odyssey. There is also a default.vrsettings in steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings, tried adding the offset there as well and it didn't help :(. Hopefully I was just doing it wrong and someone will post how to get it working with the Odyssey.

• Upvote 1

No, big improvement (pun intended) :)

As you know the issue was that it felt like you were sitting in a smaller cockpit, so everything looked slightly out of scale.  For me closing one eye brought the image back to what should be expected.

Another issue the wrong IPD has is the feeling that the entire world moves slightly when you shift from side to side.  To get an example look down at your seat and move from side to side, the seat moves with you ever so slightly.  Do the same with one eye closed and the world stays static when you shift from side to side.

Using lefuneste's tool massivley reduces this issue with the default settings and with some tweaking it goes away entirely.  Obvioulsy the tweak/setting you use for the IPD will depend on your actual IPD.

This (alt+Left Error) made the IPD problem go away, but I am still too small.  Performance is pretty bad, I'm getting average around 60 fps on single player (high settings, ss set to 0).

Well I did not think the "IPD like" modifier be enough to solve this issue...good news !

This (alt+Left Error) made the IPD problem go away, but I am still too small.  Performance is pretty bad, I'm getting average around 60 fps on single player (high settings, ss set to 0).

Strange, it looks in perfect scale for me.  The only time I sat in a WWII Fighter was a Spitfire Mk IIa replica as a 10 year old and the size feels like I remember it.

OK, that 10 year old comment was a joke :)

I actually sat in a Spitfire Mk IIa scale replica a not so long ago and I remeber how "snug" it was.  This one: http://ulsteraviationsociety.org/spitfire-replica

I get the exact same feeling using in teh BOX Spitfire with the Windows Mixed Reality HMD.  Well at least now with the IPD fix.

Edited by ICDP

Can someone confirm or deny that the issue is fixed with 3DMigoto?  and if so, what IPD setting does it need to adjust the in-game scale?

Thanks

Came here looking for information about WMR, wither its fixed or everyone has got bored and moved on ? Absolute silence from the devs on this issue ?

DCS has the 2.5 update happening on Wednesday, really hope that fixes VR performance issues which seem terrible on 1.5.8. 

Came here looking for information about WMR, wither its fixed or everyone has got bored and moved on ? Absolute silence from the devs on this issue ?

DCS has the 2.5 update happening on Wednesday, really hope that fixes VR performance issues which seem terrible on 1.5.8. 

I can't fix the issue on my own. I'm giving up until someone else (devs) fixes the issue. 

Stupidly bought the game to try in the sale and can confirm its 100% broken with regard to scale. Why didn't I buy it through steam :(

Also have this issue :/ The semi-workaround from 3DMigotos mod kinda helps, but its still not right...

Have the devs replied to any of the support tickets?

Also have this issue :/ The semi-workaround from 3DMigotos mod kinda helps, but its still not right...

Have the devs replied to any of the support tickets?

Not that I know of, but obviously they have been focused on Kuban. 

I have a suspicion that the Vive Pro will have the same issue (same lenses as the Samsung) and perhaps that will raise the matter high enough to be addressed.

Hey guys!

The tech support answered to me due to scaling problem finally. I have Lenovo, but still the issue is the same.

"Be sure that your helm is fully based on OpenVP protocol.

If your helm is using another protocol, may be its support will be added in the game later. In this case follow the site's news."

So OpenVP I think is misspelling OpenVR, so who knows, does SteamVR include OpenVR? I thought something like this. But now went google and understood nothing. Please help.

Windows Mixed Reality do use Steam VR and pretty much every other VR game I have tried works fine.  The only game I get scaling issues with is BoX.

• Upvote 2

Try the new version of lefuneste's 3dmigoto mod. Much improved performance. 

And maybe icdp can post the needed deviation settings in the d3dx file for the folks in here, to fix the IPD with that mod. 

I have the same issue with my Lenovo Explorer. Everything works fine in DCS and every other VR game for Steam or Oculus.

The only game with this issue is IL-2 Sturmovik.

I want a refund. Who am I supposed to address to for a refund ? In my opinion the game is flawed. A refund is justified.

Wait for tomorrow’s patch. Maybe it’s fixed. If not, try with support. 

Unfortunately it's not fixed in the 3.001 patch, but afaik its not even been acknowledged as a bug so...

Edited by Aloha-Snackbar

Its going to become a much bigger deal as the new headsets get released.  With Kuban finally done, I have faith they will get it sorted.

i hope so :) i tried forcing myself to play today even with fubar IPD... it just doesnt work :/ completely ruins the immersion and gunsights are awkward to use.

If someone on the dev team could at least say "weve seen this, but its too low priority for us to look at given the small userbase" then i'd at least know i can put this down for a while and try again later :/

I basically bought this sim for VR, having played all the previous IL2 titles...

Edited by Aloha-Snackbar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aloha-Snackbar said:

I basically bought this sim for VR, having played all the previous IL2 titles...

Me too. and I have basically stopped playing since I picked up my Odyssey because I can't go back to lower resolution and contrast in the Rift. 

Me too. Haven't played since I got the VR headset. It has been mentioned before here that they believe the error is in the OpenVR implementation, not IL2. So, I'm not holding my breath that they will ever fix it. I do wish though since they are blaming it on the OpenVR implementation, that they would at least tell us exactly what API isn't working. The Microsoft SteamVR team seems to be very engaged, if we had actual data, and it was really a bug in the OpenVR implementation, maybe they would fix it. In any case, IL2 seems to be the only game that calls whatever API they say isn't correct, I have had no issues in any other games. I've been playing the 2.5 beta of DCS and it has really improved VR performance (at least for me).

• Like 2

And that's how a beautiful and old game gets ruined by not being able to follow the technology advancement.

• Like 1

I'll just chime in here with a plea for a fix. the Odyssey is such an compared to the Vive and it should work in Il2.

• Like 1

Just curious, what resolution are you using with Odyssey? Would it be better to go for the native resolution even if it would mean fewer details and/or lower framerate, or go for lower resolution with better detail/framerate? Are you using dynamic resolution?

Seems to me it's quite difficult to find a good balance.

On 15.3.2018 at 1:19 AM, rwalker123 said:

Me too. Haven't played since I got the VR headset. It has been mentioned before here that they believe the error is in the OpenVR implementation, not IL2. So, I'm not holding my breath that they will ever fix it. I do wish though since they are blaming it on the OpenVR implementation, that they would at least tell us exactly what API isn't working. The Microsoft SteamVR team seems to be very engaged, if we had actual data, and it was really a bug in the OpenVR implementation, maybe they would fix it. In any case, IL2 seems to be the only game that calls whatever API they say isn't correct, I have had no issues in any other games. I've been playing the 2.5 beta of DCS and it has really improved VR performance (at least for me).

It's an IL-2 issue, OpenVR/SteamVR are working correctly. What some Dev allegedly said once, if he even said it - which I doubt - would be wrong. 

I've been told that IL-2 doesn't pull all variables from the APIs, but instead has fixed values. So far it is the only game in the world with this issue.

But hoping for them to fix it, won't do much. Spam bug reports.

see, i tried filing a bug report via the form at https://il2sturmovik.com/support/ quite some time ago, i got no reply.

ive also created a thread in the Bug Report forum  two weeks ago, which is currently buried: 

If the bug report forum is the correct place to report it maybe we can bump it up a little?

On 3/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, Bollox said:

Just curious, what resolution are you using with Odyssey? Would it be better to go for the native resolution even if it would mean fewer details and/or lower framerate, or go for lower resolution with better detail/framerate? Are you using dynamic resolution?

Seems to me it's quite difficult to find a good balance.

You can't set the resolution with Odyssey.  And the increased resolution is definitely the source of the problem.

Instead of using the same perspective with a higher pixel density, it's like the game is treating the extra pixels as an extended field of view. This in essence creates a reverse cropping effect, where the perspective is zoomed out from original perspective ( ‎2160 x 1200) , so that the original perspective is just a subset of the new perspective (2880 x 1600). This is making things look really small (and screwing up the IPD).  i have seen a similar issue in other indy VR games. 

I'm guessing this is a relatively simple fix for IL.2 (rendering the exact same FOV at a higher pixel density), but they probably won't be able to do it until they get their hands on the device.    

For the Windows MR this should be possible, except for the Samsung Odyssey probably - the thing isn't being sold in Europe nor Russia.

how about Vive Pro , is the same resolution like in Samsung, can we expect the same issue here ?

I logged another ticket with support to highlight the IPD issue.  This was their response, so it seems they are now verifying BoS does not correctly support WMR and other non Vive or Oculus HMDs.  It also indicates they have no immediate intention of fixing it.  Very disappointing to be honest.

Hi,

If Windows Mixed Reality is included in the game, information about it will be published on the site.

Edited by ICDP

1 minute ago, BeastyBaiter said:

That doesn't bode well for Vive Pro and Rift CV2 (whenever it comes) being supported.

Considering both the Rift and the Vive have been, at least up to now, the two "big guns" in PC-VR and 1CGS provided support for them in their initial VR Implementation, I would be surprised if they did not support them again in their full next generation devices.

The Vive Pro has just recently had a release date announced and is not yet shipping to consumers. Also with their marketing and pricing strategy it remains to be seen how well it will be adopted to the consumer VR device market.  I would not consider it to be the full next gen product, as it is just an incremental increase in resolution. I am sure they are also working on the next full generation product same as Oculus is.

Should the Pro be very successful and the numbers are there I am sure they will take a look at it, especially if more and more folks get one and ask for it.

thats extremely disappointing.

i also dont understand why this is a problem, the whole point of steamvr/openvr is that it's an abstraction layer between software and hardware, which should mean if it works for one headset it works for all that supports it, unless theyve done some fuckery in il2 that hardcodes certain things.