Jason_Williams

Major Announcement Friday November 17th at 12:00 GMT

If we are throwing out crazy pipe dreams Ill put in my two cents

Il-2: Battle of Endor  :biggrin:

Who needs Wildcats and Zeroes when we can have A- wings, X- wings, Tie Fighters, and Tie interceptors.

On a serious note, I assume that we are all overthinking this thing way too much and its probably just going to be the official announcement of Il-2 Battle of Midway and and a layout of their projected path for the series for the next few years. Also people keep mentioning that improving the bare metal appearance suggests something in the western front but I would like to point out that a great many late war pacific aircraft, both Axis and Allies, incorporated bare metal in their paint schemes. 

If it is the announcement of Battle of Midway, I want seaplanes!!!

Indeedy doody. Preferably a PBY. Though I'd settle for a Grumman Duck, despite its aesthetics. For the same reason that I used to fly the R.E.8 in RoF. You can't see how ugly it is when you are sitting in it...

Indeedy doody. Preferably a PBY. Though I'd settle for a Grumman Duck, despite its aesthetics. For the same reason that I used to fly the R.E.8 in RoF. You can't see how ugly it is when you are sitting in it...

Exactly! I'm happy with anything, but I think it'd be amazing to be able to spawn a plane like that, and launch it off a cruiser!

This is extremely similar to what was done before IL-2: Battle of Kuban and the 'Spirit of '46' plan was announced including the Rise of Flight forum announcement. Before that there were weeks and months of speculation on what would come next or if the series even had a future. Similarly we're having those same discussions now. I'm upbeat and optimistic that they have something interesting planned... be it what they had planned for originally or something a bit different.

Recent dev updates and other comments suggest to me that the news coming is positive in nature. I just have no idea what exactly it will be until tomorrow morning. I went in-depth on my thoughts here BTW: https://stormbirds.blog/2017/11/15/speculating-on-il-2s-future/

Wow man Great speculation there!  Really makes the mouth water!!!

Nice  - very nice - if whatever it is includes the early opening of wallets - I'm in - you guys have my confidence there....

• Upvote 2

1C and TFS join forces to Expand IL2 on 2 Fronts simultaneously, and the discussion is on for a long term ROF II project, plus AI Refinement. :biggrin:

S!Blade<><

• Upvote 1

"So, what aircraft do you tend to see that are typically unpainted? "

IJAAF planes that received only partial camouflage. New Guinea or Burma theatre confirmed! ;)

Anything pointing towards a future for ROF would be the cherry on the cake. At this point this is my top wish (that's assuming that the pacific is go indeed)

• Upvote 1

I've speculated before and will do it again. From a business point of view, you have to keep $$ coming through the door. Going from the eastern front to the pacific is a monumental task, not just in development time, but language, etc (russian to japanese) especially if they want to do it 'properly'. That will involve a significant period of development with little $$ coming in except from sales and the like. Then you add in the complexity of carriers, etc. Can they even get all the licensing for US a/c? I remember we never got a TBF for Pacific Fighters because apparently Grumman didn't allow it. A pacific campaign withOUT US torpedo bombers??? Thats like BoX without the IL2. The payoff though is potentially higher though with the potential new customer bases from the US (even more so than now), Japan, Canada, Australia, etc. 

To offset this though, they could potentially hedge their bets by moving to the North African campaign which involved the US, UK, Australia, Italy and they already have the german a/c built. So instead of developing TWO new air forces, you only really need to develop one (plus you already have the P40, M202). 

A western european campaign ie. say France 1943 (which I've mentioned above) would be even better...we already have the Spit (albeit an older model) but you only have to develop again the Allied air forces that we currently don't have eg. Spit IX, Typhoon, Mosquito, P47, P51B, P38. A lot of the groundwork for the A20 has already been done. Yes there's work involved HOWEVER, what i see as the benefits of going to France 1943:

1. Western Europe

2. You tap into the UK,US, French, Polish, Australian, NZ markets given these (and many other countries) actually had pilots flying then. 

3. again, the Luftwaffe a/c are pretty much done

4. You potentially open up BoX as a proper viable alternative to Cliffs of Dover (I don't know the licensing or contractual issues around this but meh) so you bring across pilots who want to fly RAF a/c. Imagine your player base then? 

5. You potentially tap into DCS players as well. 

Whatever the case, I'm quite excited about the future of this sim. Even if the actual announcement is just 'here's BOK, we are doing blah as well' and its not in accordance with the above, it doesn't matter. This is the future of WW2 flight sims. 

One thing I'm also hoping for is they increase the fidelity ie. allow us to click stuff in the cockpit. That might actually bring more people over from DCS.

I've got it. I know what it is. Secret sources tell me that 777 have been developing the F18 Hornet and a Strait of Hormuz map and they're going to beat ED/DCS to the punch.

Called it. You heard it here first!

• Upvote 2

Recent dev updates and other comments suggest to me that the news coming is positive in nature. I just have no idea what exactly it will be until tomorrow morning. I went in-depth on my thoughts here BTW: https://stormbirds.blog/2017/11/15/speculating-on-il-2s-future/

This is an extremely well written article Sir! :) Edited by Blooddawn1942

This is an extremely well written article Sir! :)

+1 and I hope its true together with air spawn controllable B17/B24 :)

Pharoah' timestamp='1510897810' post='532634'] Can they even get all the licensing for US a/c? I remember we never got a TBF for Pacific Fighters because apparently Grumman didn't allow it. A pacific campaign withOUT US torpedo bombers???

This was already adressed numerous times by Jason and will not be a problem. If people would spend just as much time reading what actually devs said instead of speculating then there would be no need to repeat statements over and over.

Pharoah' timestamp='1510897810' post='532634'] To offset this though, they could potentially hedge their bets by moving to the North African campaign which involved the US, UK, Australia, Italy and they already have the german a/c built. So instead of developing TWO new air forces, you only really need to develop one (plus you already have the P40, M202)

Right, so better take shortcuts ...

We should expect dev team to give us the best, not choose shortcuts.

Pharoah' timestamp='1510897810' post='532634'] Yes there's work involved HOWEVER, what i see as the benefits of going to France 1943:

And the benefit of the Midway is pacific. Benefit of Italy is mediterranean.

We already have those "markets" (considering this is a nieche I'd not really call it markets) - check peoples location on this boards. Also, expecting that people will move from CloD to BoS is delusional. If they wanted to they would've already done it. That would also directly compete with what TF is trying to achieve. Considering current positive relations that would be almost like backstabbing. In regard to DCS players ... they are mostly interested in clickpits and their study sim. Besides, few actually fly ww2 - servers are almost empty this days. During prime time no more than 10 - 15 people are online in 2.1 So you technically tap into empty jar.

I've got it. I know what it is. Secret sources tell me that 777 have been developing the F18 Hornet and a Strait of Hormuz map and they're going to beat ED/DCS to the punch. Called it. You heard it here first!

We certainly have a higher chance of seeing Me-262 here sooner than in DCS. Probably would work with F-18 just as well considering that ED releases a barebone.

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

Hoping it's about a bigger actor opening up their wallet and giving this series the investment and marketing it deserves.

• Upvote 1

new Russian Bombers? Lend Lease B17G's? 

okay, but in that case German get the He 177

Although the excitement will be where we are going (Med, Pacific, Western Front, etc.) and with what aircraft, there are also some important points in some of the less glamorous things:

• will they allow 3rd-party contract developers for aircraft?
  • can they improve the multi-player dserver?
  • what new weapon tech will there be (mines, torpedoes, etc.)?
  • will there be a reconnaissance mechanic introduced?
  • is there any chance of a search-and-rescue mode?
  • will there be stats for paradrops, supply, rescue, recon?
  • will there be configurable squad markings for multiplayer?
  • how will they implement the air-marschal concept?
  • what about co-op modes and hyperlobby?
  • is there any chance of a better mission editor?

There are also some more suggestions in this post: 216_Jordan's post and others too.

At least we have a given time for the announcement. Waiting all Friday for a DD not knowing when it goes live is savage torture. ;)

Yes, it's not wrong. :biggrin:

My dream is to Daedalus Team being incorporated into 1C Games totally, and all possible resourses sent to Il-2 game series. That would be great if Mediterranian Theater will be reworked from CloD to Il-2.

And of course, many pilots want Reichsvertidigung :) 

• Upvote 1

I've got it. I know what it is. Secret sources tell me that 777 have been developing the F18 Hornet and a Strait of Hormuz map and they're going to beat ED/DCS to the punch.

Called it. You heard it here first!

Your one sided story has almost killed this game. If you feel that you screwed up 3 yrs ago, you need to contact that writer Erwin @ gamerheadlines.com and have that biased article taken down OR have them to write an update on where IL2 is currently.

How many IL2 purchases have we lost?

MED is a big theater that could not be covered by one only team.

Operation Husky would be a good choice for the future, and all the Air Force fans would be happy: USAF; RAF, LW and RA. Just imagine G-6 Trop and Macchi 205, or A-36 and Spitfire Mk.VIII, without considering Seafire and naval operations.

We'll see. I still hope to see MED also in this new IL2 Serie. Jason loves P-47, and in Italy there were tons of P-47. :salute:

Edit: Yak-9 too was in Italy.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

I'm guessing/hoping future plans include a new edition of ROF with DX11 and VR

Yes please :)

SD

In 90 minutes my F5 button is going to take a hammering.

So, the announcement will be that the IL-2 forum servers have gone off line due to overload... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Anyone interested in a small side-bet on the developers getting their timezones wrong? I seem to recall them doing it at least once before, and it seems to be something of an industry tradition. Probably something to do with the odd hours they work, though in Jason's case jet-lag might also be a factor.

Anyone interested in a small side-bet on the developers getting their timezones wrong? I seem to recall them doing it at least once before, and it seems to be something of an industry tradition. Probably something to do with the odd hours they work, though in Jason's case jet-lag might also be a factor.

Noooooooooo! Don't even go there! 

So, the announcement will be that the IL-2 forum servers have gone off line due to overload... :rolleyes:

LOL !! the announcement is that they are stress testing the forums, and thank us for our help ;)

reminds me of 2001 ...... there was a Info thread announced with Oleg about IL2 in the BlueByte Forum.

And i was on a motorbike tour in New Zealand - sitting in a Internet caffee that day ;)

This is extremely similar to what was done before IL-2: Battle of Kuban and the 'Spirit of '46' plan was announced including the Rise of Flight forum announcement. Before that there were weeks and months of speculation on what would come next or if the series even had a future. Similarly we're having those same discussions now. I'm upbeat and optimistic that they have something interesting planned... be it what they had planned for originally or something a bit different.

That's a pretty nice site you got there...  :good:

• Upvote 2