Jump to content
PatrickAWlson

PWCG 5.1.3 Released - Bodenplatte Campaign!

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Skipper- said:

Having never flown in career mode or tried PWCG, what are the main differences

 between the two?

 

Both are good, however PWCG offers a lot more customization. You can really "get into the weeds" so to speak with PWCG.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skipper- said:

Having never flown in career mode or tried PWCG, what are the main differences

 between the two?

In PWCG , the "frontline feeling" is much better with tons of smoke and ground activity, and the mission's feel less repetitive and predictable , with a lot of random encounters with other flights, each of them having their own mission. I personally feel PWCG is the most immersive ww2 experience you can have in this SIM. (Obviously more than any open MP server, maybe on the same level as private objective driven MP mission/campaign like Friday night bomber flight. )

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat, first of all thank you so much for your efforts! This is what we old coop farts have been waiting for since 2014. Just sent you a cold German beer! 🍺

 

Is there a way to change the Pilot names in coop mode? Or is there a way to get a clean Pilot roster in order to create a human Squad with some AI's in case one of us got an invitation for a silver wedding anniversary? 😉 We haven't found that yet, and the ladies appreciate there own names.

 

We hope and pray that you will expand and refine the coop campaign mode. Can't wait for future releases!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pat, all

 

I'm not sure if something is wrong in my setup but I'm not seeing these in the plane set;

 

Spit Mk IXe

109 G14

190 A8

 

Am I doing something screwy or have they not been worked in yet? Sorry if I'm just having a blond moment :( 

If not have you any idea Pat, when they might be?

 

Best regards.

 

fubar

 

Forgot to mention using 4.1.1

Edited by fubar_2_niner
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fubar_2_niner said:

@Pat, all

 

I'm not sure if something is wrong in my setup but I'm not seeing these in the plane set;

 

Spit Mk IXe

109 G14

190 A8

Those are aircrafts of BoBP. BoBP is far away from being released. You don't have a map to play on.

PWCG has so far the maps of Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban. It covers a timespan from autumn 1941 to autumn 1943. The three aircrafts you mentioned were not yet in duty , therefore they are not yet in PWCG. But there are plenty of amazing aircrafts to enjoy in PWCG.

The prerelesed aircrafts of BoBP however, are so far, only flyable in QMB and some online servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

Those are aircrafts of BoBP. BoBP is far away from being released. You don't have a map to play on.

PWCG has so far the maps of Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban. It covers a timespan from autumn 1941 to autumn 1943. The three aircrafts you mentioned were not yet in duty , therefore they are not yet in PWCG. But there are plenty of amazing aircrafts to enjoy in PWCG.

The prerelesed aircrafts of BoBP however, are so far, only flyable in QMB and some online servers.

Thanks for the info Yogi, so I was having a blond moment after all :dash:

 

Regards.

 

fubar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, now I reached the point, where my squadmates shreddered so many 190s, that, including the one available A3 out of the depot, our squadron reached the poor strength of three aircrafts. Now when I try to create a mission and the mission provides more than three aircrafts, I get the error message 'No plane assigned to player'. All I can do, is scrub the mission and create a new one, until I get one with not more than three aircrafts. But the time still, will say, it is on the same day. Shouldn't there be a way, that when the mission I would get needs more aircrafts, than available in my squadron, the mission passes by, and we get the next day, until either we get a mission, we are able to fly, or we received additional aircrafts from the depot, to be in order again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that you are getting missions at all.  With only three aircraft PWCG should be generating no mission cycles until your aircraft supply is replenished.  Thanks for the report.

 

P.S.  you can take leave for a month to let supplies replenish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

P.S.  you can take leave for a month to let supplies replenish.  

Yes either that or what I am thinking about, too, is making a transfer to a 109 squadron for some time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting the same issue now that I'm down to only 2 planes. I can't actually generate a mission so I've resorted to doing lone wolf missions then adding one extra pilot to my flight. 

 

The only thing about taking leave is that all the other pilots continue to fly, die, and get kills while you're gone, even though you only have 1 or 2 planes left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2018 at 6:33 PM, Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz said:

I'm getting the same issue now that I'm down to only 2 planes. I can't actually generate a mission so I've resorted to doing lone wolf missions then adding one extra pilot to my flight. 

 

The only thing about taking leave is that all the other pilots continue to fly, die, and get kills while you're gone, even though you only have 1 or 2 planes left.

 

I will have to look into that too.  Depleted squadrons should not fly, either in real missions or in simulated missions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently working on setting ground unit numbers based on who is flying.  Player gets full set of targets while AI flights get a token target.  This is to avoid the major slowdowns from too many ground units popping in.  That is the next release and it is, unfortunately, much more work than it sounds like.

 

After that I promised to look into coop.  First cut will be multiple human pilots in the same squadron.   That will also allow single players to continue a career with a new pilot if their pilot is killed, which is something that has been requested for awhile.

 

There are many other requests on the queue: vectoring, more skins, etc.  With every release an effort will be made to clean up bugs.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, Black-Hussar said:

Pat, first of all thank you so much for your efforts! This is what we old coop farts have been waiting for since 2014. Just sent you a cold German beer! 🍺

 

Is there a way to change the Pilot names in coop mode? Or is there a way to get a clean Pilot roster in order to create a human Squad with some AI's in case one of us got an invitation for a silver wedding anniversary? 😉 We haven't found that yet, and the ladies appreciate there own names.

 

We hope and pray that you will expand and refine the coop campaign mode. Can't wait for future releases!

 

 

 

 

 

Multiple humans in a squadron, with the ability to add more at any time, is the first step towards a better coop experience.  There is a separate thread where much more advanced ideas were thrown around, but the things that you are asking for should be manageable n the near term (couple of months)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I am currently working on setting ground unit numbers based on who is flying.  Player gets full set of targets while AI flights get a token target.  This is to avoid the major slowdowns from too many ground units popping in.  That is the next release and it is, unfortunately, much more work than it sounds like.

 

After that I promised to look into coop.  First cut will be multiple human pilots in the same squadron.   That will also allow single players to continue a career with a new pilot if their pilot is killed, which is something that has been requested for awhile.

 

There are many other requests on the queue: vectoring, more skins, etc.  With every release an effort will be made to clean up bugs.

 

Multiple humans in a squadron, with the ability to add more at any time, is the first step towards a better coop experience.  There is a separate thread where much more advanced ideas were thrown around, but the things that you are asking for should be manageable n the near term (couple of months)

 

 

Well, actually we just "take over" AI Planes in the lobby. It works, but multiple human pilots in the same Squadron would be very nice. Haven't found that thread your are talking about. Could you please provide a link?

 

Again, thanks a lot for your efforts!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Black-Hussar said:

 

Well, actually we just "take over" AI Planes in the lobby. It works, but multiple human pilots in the same Squadron would be very nice. Haven't found that thread your are talking about. Could you please provide a link?

 

Again, thanks a lot for your efforts!  

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36537-cooperative-campaigns-with-pwcg/ 

 

The idea would be that PWCG would allow you to specify many human pilots instead of the current limitation of 1.  You would then choose pilots for the mission and fly.   Players would join the coop and take over the slot with their pilot's name.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36537-cooperative-campaigns-with-pwcg/ 

 

The idea would be that PWCG would allow you to specify many human pilots instead of the current limitation of 1.  You would then choose pilots for the mission and fly.   Players would join the coop and take over the slot with their pilot's name.

 

 

… that's it!  :salute: Thanks for the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

There are many other requests on the queue: vectoring, more skins, etc.  With every release an effort will be made to clean up bugs.

 

I didn't realise vectoring was possible in IL2? that would be amazing if it could be added into PWCG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need some help on where to put the download file into my IL-2 Directory... can anybody help?

Edited by II./JG77_HankDG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, II./JG77_HankDG said:

I need some help on where to put the download file into my IL-2 Directory... can anybody help?

 

 

I put this on for Sire does it help HankDG?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I take it there is no manual explaining the campaign settings in detail and their effects on the server Performance. Honestly, my english is often not good enough to follow Pats short mouseover explanations, and yesterday our Server faced a huge russian ground offensive... :o: We are running our DServer on a single dedicated (not shared) machine powered by an I7 4770, 2 x SSD, 32GB RAM and a gigabit internet link.

 

Are there any "empirical values"  that won't bring that  machine down on it's knees? I know that Pat is already working on this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the test phase for severely curtailing ground units associated with AI flights.  That is the biggest issue right now: AI missions generate the same number of ground units as player missions.  Really all they need is a token target.

 

The changes also better map number of units in player missions to selected simple config ground unit density.  So once I am done the user will only have to select low/medium/high ground density to limit the number of ground units in a mission.

 

Unfortunately, until I am done the issue will exist.  I am hoping to release this Saturday, but my free time will be limited through August, so no promises.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats great news. I noticed when playing the career Mode that the Performance was better there with more Planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PWCG 4.2.0

Changed ground unit generation to avoid excessive number of ground units generated by AI flights.

Fixed error where depleted squadrons could be further drained.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have updated but am getting following errors trying to Accept Mission... I am trying to drag the waypoints in the planner.

 

PWCGErrorLog.txt

Edited by Skipper-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skipper- said:

Have updated but am getting following errors trying to Accept Mission... I am trying to drag the waypoints in the planner.

 

PWCGErrorLog.txt

 

Running out of memory, probably due to map loading.  i will look into increasing max memory available to PWCG.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

PWCG 4.2.0

Changed ground unit generation to avoid excessive number of ground units generated by AI flights.

Fixed error where depleted squadrons could be further drained.

 

Many thanks Pat for all your work on this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

PWCG 4.2.0

Changed ground unit generation to avoid excessive number of ground units generated by AI flights.

Fixed error where depleted squadrons could be further drained.

Much more fluid experience ! Thank you so much for this !!! 

S!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Running out of memory, probably due to map loading.  i will look into increasing max memory available to PWCG.

 

 

Am I running out of RAM? I have 16gb and had hoped that would be enough to run anything for the time being..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skipper- said:

 

Am I running out of RAM? I have 16gb and had hoped that would be enough to run anything for the time being..

 

 

It's the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) that is running out of memory.  When you run a Java program it runs inside of a JVM, which is just another program that knows how to run a Java program.  When the JVM starts it is allocated a certain amount of memory.  It looks like PWCG is exceeding that allocation in some cases.  Usually the fix is just tell the JVM that it can have more memory.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LAL_Trinkof said:

Much more fluid experience ! Thank you so much for this !!! 

 

S!

 

Same here. A massive improvement, and I can't confirm any JVM memory leaks, but our DServer operates with 32GB.

 

Thank you very much Pat! :salute:

 

I have two questions;

 

1) We created a new Campaign with  a simple config and med air density. During the three dive bomb raids last night,  there was not a single russian plane in the sky. Coindidence?

 

2) Is there a way to get rid of that waypoint system? On the one hand it is helpful as the map illustration of BOX ist still ridiculous and useless, on the other hand a  simple target marker would be sufficient, and we would not have circle around "perceived for hours". :huh:        

 

Edited by Black-Hussar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like I have always said, one can never have a CPU that is too fast, too much RAM or a GPU that over performs. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Black-Hussar said:

 

Same here. A massive improvement, and I can't confirm any JVM memory leaks, but our DServer operates with 32GB.

 

Thank you very much Pat! :salute:

 

I have two questions;

 

1) We created a new Campaign with  a simple config and med air density. During the three dive bomb raids last night,  there was not a single russian plane in the sky. Coindidence?

 

2) Is there a way to get rid of that waypoint system? On the one hand it is helpful as the map illustration of BOX ist still ridiculous and useless, on the other hand a  simple target marker would be sufficient, and we would not have circle around "perceived for hours". :huh:        

 

 

When I am coding my flying time is limited.  However, when I ran a test mission as a Me110 ground attacker there was a flight of PE2s in the air.  Combined with testing I do believe that enemy flights are being generated.

 

So much depends on the WP system that it would be no  small task getting rid of it.  However, you can delete most waypoints in the briefing.  Right click in the waypoint in the briefing map.  A popup will appear and you can delete the WP.

Edited by PatrickAWlson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Black-Hussar said:

and we would not have circle around "perceived for hours". :huh: 

Are you talking about the waypoints for the climb circle at the beginning of the missions? If so, you can delete them by setting 'Create Climb WPs' to '0' in the Advanced Config under 'Mission Limits'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

When I am coding my flying time is limited.  However, when I ran a test mission as a Me110 ground attacker there was a flight of PE2s in the air.  Combined with testing I do believe that enemy flights are being generated.

 

So much depends on the WP system that it would be no  small task getting rid of it.  However, you can delete most waypoints in the briefing.  Right click in the waypoint in the briefing map.  A popup will appear and you can delete the WP.

 

So it was coincidence, only. The Stukas were lucky again.. ;) As for the waypoints; no need to "get rid" of waypoints if there is way to disable them in the briefing or simply tweak an entry in the advanced config. I spent hours tweaking the Flight category with no success, but I did not check the Mission Limit category… my bad, sorry. :rolleyes: 

 

One more thing; is it important for the success of the mission to return to the airfield where we depatured, or can we land at any safe airfield behind the front line?

 

Thank you Pat.. und dank Dir Yogiflight! :salute:

 

Edited by Black-Hussar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Black-Hussar said:

One more thing; is it important for the success of the mission to return to the airfield where we depatured, or can we land at any safe airfield behind the front line?

 

I did that only because the game will display failure if you don't have some success criteria. PWCG couldn't care less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Black-Hussar said:

Thank you Pat.. und dank Dir Yogiflight! :salute:

Schön, daß ich helfen konnte. Grüße aus Würzburg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black-Hussar said:

One more thing; is it important for the success of the mission to return to the airfield where we depatured, or can we land at any safe airfield behind the front line?

 

This is one of the best things (for me) about PWCG.. you can fly as if you would in real life without being penalised for it (read: failed mission).

Land where you want, bale out or crash and get captured, land at a friendly airfield after taking damage over the target area.. it's all in there.

 

Now if only I could find the 57th GIAP Spitfire squadron in PWCG life would be perfect!

I did try my first IL-2 Career in this squadron but the first three missions were 'escort bombers 100km to their destination' with nothing to shoot, so I have put that career on hold..

 

Edited by Skipper-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skipper- said:

 

This is one of the best things (for me) about PWCG.. you can fly as if you would in real life without being penalised for it (read: failed mission).

Land where you want, bale out or crash and get captured, land at a friendly airfield after taking damage over the target area.. it's all in there.

Now if only I could find the 57th GIAP Spitfire squadron in PWCG life would be perfect!

 

Kuban map after July 1943.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Kuban map after July 1943.

 

I wasn't looking far enough ahead! Thanks so much. Loving everything about PWCG so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×