Sign in to follow this  
[ALPHA]Hipocampo08

I may buy the La-5 and I want you to tell me what you think of it

To me it is the Russian planes that make this simulator worth while. But that is a subjective opinion. The LA 5 is if nothing else a charming plane in many ways, I do not think you will regret it after seeing your approach. You do not chose Russian planes for it look´s . More the challenge of making it, I still think PE 2 is the most effective weapon in this simulator, and I think there is lot to be done with the LA 5 we have not seen yet. I would say go for it

I've been flying German planes for years in sims, still love the 110 and the bombers, but the Russian planes are calling to me here.

IMO one of the poorest aircraft in the series. After buying it and spending a good 3 hours learning to take off, land climb & turn, how to keep the engine cool and use the boost, I set myself up against a BF109 G4 in sim mode and against an ace opponent. I simply couldn't get near to it to even get some shots away. Strange I thought, so I reversed the scenario, me in the G4 against the AI in an LA-5 (same settings). Now I have never ever flown any axis aircraft before but simply jumped right into a 1v1, I could take 3 La-5's down without a hit on me before running out of ammo! LA-5 = big, heavy, ponderous, slow to turn, slow to climb, loses speed like no other, constantly need to adjust cowles and trims, just horrible, just horrible in my experience.    

Edited by Stratman59

What altitude were you fighting at? The LA5's performance falls off somewhat sharply above 3 Km. Below this alt, the plane is both nimble and powerful. I can't say I'm overly fond of the visibility, especially rearward. I have also found the guns to be somewhat wanting. The magazine is a bit on the small side, unless you can make every round hit, and for some reason I can't get comfortable with them. They are powerful guns when they do hit home though, one or two rounds can knock out another fighter if they go in the right spots and you are a little lucky.

In terms of Speed the La-5 is only surpassed by the MiG-3 above 3k. The La-5 is still faster than the Yaks at every altitude. 

It's rate of climb is better than all russian fighters low down, and equal at altitude. That's just objective fact. 

The Yak has a slight advantage in manouverability high up, simply because it is lighter, but otherwise the La-5 is just better. 

The La-5 is the only ingame Aircraft that outruns the 109s low down and give chase to a not optimally flown 190. Unless you are stupid and start manouver fighting (which you should never willingly do, no matter the Aircraft) the La-5 is simply the best VVS Aircraft when it comes to Anti Fighter Work. 

IMO one of the poorest aircraft in the series. After buying it and spending a good 3 hours learning to take off, land climb & turn, how to keep the engine cool and use the boost, I set myself up against a BF109 G4 in sim mode and against an ace opponent. I simply couldn't get near to it to even get some shots away. Strange I thought, so I reversed the scenario, me in the G4 against the AI in an LA-5 (same settings). Now I have never ever flown any axis aircraft before but simply jumped right into a 1v1, I could take 3 La-5's down without a hit on me before running out of ammo! LA-5 = big, heavy, ponderous, slow to turn, slow to climb, loses speed like no other, constantly need to adjust cowles and trims, just horrible, just horrible in my experience.    

Its unfair to compare it to a me109 :D

In terms of Speed the La-5 is only surpassed by the MiG-3 above 3k. The La-5 is still faster than the Yaks at every altitude. 

I like the La-5 but you are looking at different figures to me.   The La-5s performance with boost plummets after 2K and does not start improving again until 4k when it matches the unboosted version.  At 3k the boosted La-5 is about 12km/h slower than the boosted Mig-3 and about 8 km/h slower than the Yak-1 though a little faster than the Lagg-3 .  Without boost the La-5 is another 10km/h slower so even the Lagg-3 beats it but it is still faster than the unboosted Mig.

At 4k the yak, lagg, unboosted Mig & boosted P40 will beat it though by 6k the unboosted La-5 is faster than the unboosted Mig-3 and the Yak & Lagg are way below.  The boosted mig is of course way faster , about 18km/h faster.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Above 2000m the La-5 is basically an up-gunned, slightly heavier LaGG-3. Below that mark it is a beast thst will run down and slaughter any German fighter that makes the mistake of engaging it on equal footing.

Overall I probably prefer the MiG-3. It can frustrate German pilots to no end by being pretty maneuverable down low and a strong performer up high. It is not really the best at anything, but it often seems to surprise the opponent with what it can do.