[NASA]il_Balordo

Squeaking and creaking sound !

Literally I love the sound of IL-2 COD when , at high G-force, we hear the airplane structure squeaking and creaking.

Why not for BOX ???

Ciao

Federico

EDIT : it could be an options, inside audio settings, as the head shaking in camera options

Edited by [ITA]il_Pupo
  • Upvote 4

No thanks, sounds more like a wooden windjammer . :(

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Upvote 1

That sound in ClOD is seriously exaggerated.

If a plane ever starts making sounds like that that are audible over the sound of the engine and airflow, you need to get out immediately.

No thanks, sounds more like a wooden windjammer . :(

:biggrin: .... yeah ok... but this noise is not the same, come on

Anyway, it could be an options, inside audio settings, as the head shaking in camera options !!!

That sound in ClOD is seriously exaggerated.

If a plane ever starts making sounds like that that are audible over the sound of the engine and airflow, you need to get out immediately.

So, that war airplanes did not any sound during a turn at 500 / 600 km/h ??? ... I don´t think so mate.

Whatever frames strong stressed creaking .... Space Shuttle included  :) 

For me, it would give an extra immersion feeling

Edited by [ITA]il_Pupo

So, that war airplanes did not any sound during a turn at 500 / 600 km/h ??? ... I don´t think so mate.

Whatever frames strong stressed creaking .... Space Shuttle included :)

For me, it would give an extra immersion feeling

There are tons of videos online of high-powered planes pulling high Gs with in-cockpit sound. I challenge you to find examples of creaking sounds being audible over the noise of engine and airflow.

I’m not saying the creaking isn’t there, I’m saying that there is no way it’s audible.

• Upvote 2

There are tons of videos online of high-powered planes pulling high Gs with in-cockpit sound. I challenge you to find examples of creaking sounds being audible over the noise of engine and airflow.

I’m not saying the creaking isn’t there, I’m saying that there is no way it’s audible.

Record a fly with a GoPro is NOT like to be inside the cockpit in real life.

Especially if we speak  of sound.

I flew with motor hang glider and hang glider ... and when you are in thermal ascension can hear iron cable tension perfectly!

Have you ever fly something witch is not a passenger plane ???

I flew metal skinned aerobatic gliders and don't recall hearing creaking.   I am not saying it was not there but I remember the rumble of the wheels and the wind noise and even the cable thrum but not creaks.  Creaking means stress fractures and they are the death of airframes :-)

There is very little that can be heard inside an aircraft, and even less while wearing a helmet, padding and headphones beneath that.

Have you ever fly something witch is not a passenger plane ???

Yes, I have flown as passenger in a small aerobatics plane well over a decade ago. We didn’t pull that many Gs, probably something like 3G, and I don’t recall ever hearing anything other than the engine, the wind noise and the voice of the pilot over the headphones. It was many years ago, so my memory is sorta fuzzy. I mostly remember being constantly told to tighten my abdominal muscles. I do think I’d remember a loud creaking sound though, cause that would’ve freaked me out.

Your own experience in a powered hangglider doesn’t really tell us much either.

Edited by Finkeren

The creaking in CLOD is way overdone. That is a simple fact.

True. The closest I've yet to witness is creaking wood in old gliders which is quiet enought to be drowned by any engine. Even when flying aerobatics in a glider without headset there's little you can hear over the wind noise (some rly underestimate that).

I seem to remember the CloD developers explaining that they exaggerated the creaking sounds as G feedback. Whether this is preferable to the vibration BoX uses for the same purpose is open to debate.

That sound reminds me on the Silent Hunter series were you get similiar noises while diving. :)

Edited by Ishtaru
  • Upvote 1

That sound reminds me on the Silent Hunter series were you get similiar noises while diving. :)

It's in fact the exact same sounds.

I would argue that guns heard from inside the cockpit do produce a dubious sound too. For the sake of an interesting sound environment I wouldn't say no to airframe-stress sounds... so I agree with you, caro Pupo.

(I loved the way Nolan treated them, by the way... :ph34r: )

• Upvote 1

Stress sounds as in CloD are indeed exaggerated. A sound like that would certainly be a good reason to decide for skydiving all of a sudden

But there is some merit to this idea, not during normal flight conditions, of course.  But, the game does model progressive structural damage.  Having faint creaking sounds as a subtle hint of Impending Doom™  would be something of an interesting addition.   I can only reckon a plane which is bending itself gradually closer towards a major structural failure might make a groan or two in the process...

Nothing too loud though. We wouldn't want this to be overmuch obvious, of course. 

Edited by 19//Moach
  • Upvote 2

So glad i came across this thread. I've been wondering for the past few weeks.

So not very realistic i guess.

Many cameras in cockpit vids have better audio than you can hear yourself while in the same cockpit as the mics pick up more sounds then our crap ears (not talking about gopros)

I would like to get rid of these annoying sounds and model the stress of on an airframe per g-forces felt on pilots body. How to do it, just make the edges of the screen gradually blurry till you reach enough g-forces to start blacking out. Then, only the blurry edges should start to darken more an more till you have only a tiny tunnel before completely blacking out. I hate that the screen just gets darker per g-forces which makes spotting more difficult because it not just starts on the edges. The blurr effect would be good for simulating to feel g-forces without being restrictet to much while not pulling to much g-forces, just the edges of the screen at low g-force and tighten up till the blackout starts. No need for sounds to simulate stress on the airframe and body. Just my opinion and it should be for BoS too!

I would like to get rid of these annoying sounds and model the stress of on an airframe per g-forces felt on pilots body. How to do it, just make the edges of the screen gradually blurry till you reach enough g-forces to start blacking out. Then, only the blurry edges should start to darken more an more till you have only a tiny tunnel before completely blacking out. I hate that the screen just gets darker per g-forces which makes spotting more difficult because it not just starts on the edges. The blurr effect would be good for simulating to feel g-forces without being restrictet to much while not pulling to much g-forces, just the edges of the screen at low g-force and tighten up till the blackout starts. No need for sounds to simulate stress on the airframe and body. Just my opinion and it should be for BoS too!

That actually sounds like a great idea. Immersive, yet subtle and builds on what is already there.

I can live without the stressing of the airframe, but from my glider experience the sound of the increased speed and the increase wind noise really increase ones awareness off speed.

I recall being in a Type VIIC Uboat 200 meters below and hearing creaking...... but that's a different story. :cool: 

Stress sounds as in CloD are indeed exaggerated. A sound like that would certainly be a good reason to decide for skydiving all of a sudden

But there is some merit to this idea, not during normal flight conditions, of course. But, the game does model progressive structural damage. Having faint creaking sounds as a subtle hint of Impending Doom™ would be something of an interesting addition. I can only reckon a plane which is bending itself gradually closer towards a major structural failure might make a groan or two in the process...

Nothing too loud though. We wouldn't want this to be overmuch obvious, of course.

Are you able to feel cracked wings with the butt kicker Moach? Like when the wing is basically broken and has a few seconds before it falls off kinda cracked