Simicro

By default all airfields comes without facilities?

Hi,

So I managed to create a simple mission with one player aircraft placed on an airfield, my goal being to do some freeflight and navigation.

I then moved the aircraft to others airfields and noticed that the airfields are always empty. There are  no facilities, control tower, etc.

I did that on the Kuban map.

So I am inclined to think that by default all airfields comes without facilities, that is "blank" and one has to populate them?

In that case, IL-2 logic is completely different from DCS or FSX : on those sims, when you create a mission or a flight, all airports comes with facilities.

See Populate the View Port with Buildings and Other Objects on pg. 51 of the editor manual.

Thank you Jim, yes I saw that section.

So I understand that all IL-2 airfields come "blank".

This might not need adding, but the whole map is 'blank' when you first open and setup in the editor.

There are pre-built groups for everything that you need to load in seperately. Such as towns/bridges/ports and, as mentioned above, airfields.

Can take a while to load some of them too, as they can have hundreds of objects in them.

This might not need adding, but the whole map is 'blank' when you first open and setup in the editor.

There are pre-built groups for everything that you need to load in seperately. Such as towns/bridges/ports and, as mentioned above, airfields.

Can take a while to load some of them too, as they can have hundreds of objects in them.

Good points.

Before you start adding mission-specific objects and MCUs, it's a good idea to:

- Add the pre-built groups and make the those objects into a group, which helps de-clutter the map.

- Select and delete clusters of objects that players will never see in a mission, which helps mission performance.

Edited by JimTM

This might not need adding,...

You did well.

That way it is clearer.

Makes me also think about the philosophy of IL2: unlike other simulators, here when you want to create a mission, you need also to create the airfield scenery.

And I wonder why developers did not populate by default all the airfields?

I can only imagine it`s because on the huge maps, you don`t have to have every single town/city/airfield. ME clutter and all that . . .

Although you do have to load them ALL in, you can then delete what you don`t need.

Ultimate control and customisation. But a big downer for the lazy (or new) folk :)

I`ve learnt to get a map to a certain point (add town/airfields etc.) and save the mission as a template for everything else. Save me doing it every time.

Edited by Festa_PWR

Like me (lazy and new) ;)

Haha, yeah. That was me too at first. It does get easier as you find better ways of working that suit your own way of doing things.

Many, MANY hours of trial and error and swearing and loading the game to test if the stupid plane spawns in when you damage a Train to 75% health . . . . it`s endless!!!! :)

This way you can also redesign the airfield to your liking. The default ones can be a bit sparse.

I like to throw more hangars and objects although it's probably not as historical.

• Upvote 1

This way you can also redesign the airfield to your liking. The default ones can be a bit sparse.

I like to throw more hangars and objects although it's probably not as historical.

But more fun to bomb, right? :)

Yep

I can build an airfield, complete with static aircraft a vehicles, extra structures, "arf" blocks with moving soldiers, and some moving vehicles in an your, maybe 90 minutes when

I really start noodling with things. I have to delete some of the stock structures and replace them anyway.