Han

Developer Diary, Part 176 - Discussion

Very excited about the way Co-Op is shaping up and nearly creamed myself when I saw the gorgeous rain on the canopy graphics on the ground but...in my own experiences flying in rain and snow it does not look so good in the air. It still looked OK during take-off because at low speed it does form rivulets but once you get up to speed the rain tends to come at you like  the Millenium Falcon entering hyperspace, kind of coming from a central point, and then smears quite evenly over the screen instead of forming rivulets.  Yes my experience is in light aircraft & gliders, not jets, and I was not doing 400km/h but I would think rivulets less likely at higher speeds.    Sorry. don't want to be negative, just giving feedback. Maybe the WW2 style screens were different (though my glider canopy was a similar shape)    Absolutely *love* the effect on the ground though  :biggrin:

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 3

good surprise again , full of promice .

perhaps also for dommage engine for exemple in futur .

very good look for the P39

Edited by sport02

-snip-

What Han mentioned in the DD for COOP is both our basic functionality (very similar to ROF) which is coming for Kuban and a future feature we plan for next year that has a more Hyperlobby like interface which I am trying to get done for you guys. 

Jason

Sweet! I figured this was the case but sometimes things get lost in translation.

Well, Jason, you and the dev team should be proud. It's awesome what has been shown and delivered so far and the future looks bright.

Well done!!

The sun did not shine

It was too wet to play

So we sat in a Lagg

On that cold cold wet day.

The rain it came down

It just would not stop

So I gunned the throttle

And that LaGG it took off.

A plane with a door

Makes you feel a gentleman once more

Rain drops on the Airacobra

Will there be included an umbrella?

• Upvote 1

777 Studios,

You have truly delivered a superior product at this point, and it just keeps getting better, and better...

This news is so good, I've just bought the Ju-52, Yak1b, and both scripted Campaigns... sans promo codes...

Take yourselves out to lunch, you've earned it. Thanks for so many features, corrections, and improvements!

We'll see you up there,

"Jupp" ~S~ :salute:

For those already complaining this is preliminary work. It will be an optional effect. If you don't like it turn it off. 

For everybody else who like it, thanks. 

The rain looks truly awesome, but can you make it a server side option, as someone who doesn't enable it will have a massive advantage in spotting, thanks.....

What next i wonder......exhaust smoke?  :)

Yak 7b, G6, P-39, A20......... it just keeps getting better!

Keep up the good work.

777 Studios,

You have truly delivered a superior product at this point, and it just keeps getting better, and better...

This news is so good, I've just bought the Ju-52, Yak1b, and both scripted Campaigns... sans promo codes...

Take yourselves out to lunch, you've earned it. Thanks for so many features, corrections, and improvements!

We'll see you up there,

"Jupp" ~S~ :salute:

Hey Jupp!   :salute: m8.

It would probably be the best thing to have the server side option to require this. If this is a major graphic effect that requires a restart of the game you could be prompted on selecting a server if you want to restart the game with said feature enabled. If a server does not force this option than everybody is free to choose.

For me this would also apply to technochat.

Good stuff as always - can't wait to throw more $$$ at you.

The dedication and long hours are much appreciated.

Rain. Mmmmmmmm reminds me of my very first flight in the original IL2. Sat on a grass strip in the rain. Hit the throttle and crashed before the wheels left the ground due to engine torque.

BUT COOP MODE sounds the business. I would say its been 5 years since I flew a mission that style in Il2 1946. I hope there is some help on scripting.

As usual Great News!

The rain effects look simply great - I smiled when I thought about how poorly the brother civil sim developers strive to achieve that effect...

IL-2 Battle of ... RULEZ!

I was totaly dazed to see the rain on the canopy !!! It's looks pretty realistic, I was thinking of this poor pilot if he open his canopy and the rain will fall on him and he will be miserable like us in infantry !!!

• Upvote 1

Fantastic update!

I've never been a big fan of the P39 but having seem the latest photos I actually think I'm in love!

The rain looks truly amazing, I sometimes jump into a flight for fun without combat just fly around and practice take-off, cross country and landing, it'll be ace fun for that too!

MP is something I just can't really get into however the new coop sounds like it could be my cup of tea!

Magic and thanks.

About the coop mod and that information :

Aircraft not claimed by human players will be controlled by AI, so the mission will proceed as it was designed even if the server isn't full

I hope that we can have the choice to turn on or off that option. That feature is cool, but sometimes, we'll need to turn it off.

Wow Jason and team, just wow. Amazing progress. This is a HUGE boost to env immersion. You guys just keep pushing the limits and redefining them. I really appreciate you sharing this WIP with us. 

Edited per suggestion..lol. I was a fat post alright.

Good luck to you and the team as you continue breakin new ground and makin magic happen. Can't wait for it all, but I will.

Edited by Torso

I can remember playing FSW a few days ago, aircraft on the runway, watching the rain bucket down and running off the canopy, thinking... ''if only BoS could have something like this''... and blow me down, you have only gone and done it!

• Upvote 1

Guys,

We know what rain looks like. We all drive cars and at least one of us can fly an actual propeller driven plane. Vids aren't necessary in this thread really. Just let us do our thing.

Jason

• Upvote 22

Hi Jason,

I think people are just enthusiastic aren't they?

Guys,

We know what rain looks like. We all drive cars and at least one of us can fly an actual propeller driven plane. Vids aren't necessary in this thread really. Just let us do our thing.

Jason

• Upvote 6

I feel so proud to have been here supporting this SIM since day one of the pre-order announcement 5+ years ago. I am also very proud of the fact that a tiny piece of me (That's what she said) exists in the SIM now, or will soon. Well, maybe not tiny, many hours of research and development and coordination went into what I did.

I am taking donations for a new flight stick btw guys =o)

- J/K

Rain on the canopy  :) So glad this is finally being implemented. Immersion factor through the roof, and should make spotting interesting. Thanks Devs!.

Nice. So the same fluid mechanics with gasoline/oil?

That would be pretty damn epic. 

Edited by Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Guys,   We know what rain looks like.

haha you are one [edited] jason O7 I salute you for it. Il2 is the best and you guys are rockin it. dont let nobody tell you anything else.

I know you mean no offense, but wacth your lenguage

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Guys,

Jason

Soooooo...we won't be needing my "Rain and Planes" thread in the Developer Assistance forums?

Guys,

Jason

Excitement killer. I'll just sit on my hands from now on.

You can see very far into the distance on those P39 pictures. To be honest the P39 was always kind of meh for me. Seeing it flying in Kuban is getting me pretty excited for it.

The rain is already amazing for a WIP and looks like it is going to be the best executed ever in a flight sim.

Also you have to remember a lot of people just read a line here or there and then jump right in to ask questions or make complaints and suggestions that are answered already by reading the entire DD.

I feel that not enough attention is directed towards the P-39 in this thread, it really does look excellent - very good skinning job. Especially the chipping of the paint looks a lot more natural and toned down, than the usual, IMHO often exaggerated, weathering of the paint seen on other models in the sim.

Coop, P-39, A-20, awesome graphics that keep getting better and better what's not to love. Thank you!

Looking forward to reliving the Hyperlobby days.

Excitement killer. I'll just sit on my hands from now on.

Jasons voice is really nice, it really just comes over differently when written I guess..

I feel that not enough attention is directed towards the P-39 in this thread, it really does look excellent - very good skinning job. Especially the chipping of the paint looks a lot more natural and toned down, than the usual, IMHO often exaggerated, weathering of the paint seen on other models in the sim.

Yes indeed it seems to me more natural too.

I think when there will be the 4K version, the rendering of the P-39 will be superb.