Han

Developer Diary, Part 176 - Discussion

The rain looks amazing.

Excellent news, thanks so much!

Co-op sounds very exciting, might even get me into MP finally!

Wow rain on the canopy looks fantastic guys!

Come to the dark side...

The rain looks amazing.

Excellent news, thanks so much!

Co-op sounds very exciting, might even get me into MP finally!

Wow rain on the canopy looks fantastic guys!

Come to the dark side...

Oh my Stars, I can't even decide what part of this makes me more excited, it's all EXCELLENT NEWS. Amazing!

Wow, nothing but awesomeness in this DD!

Literally can’t wait to get my hands on that Cobra :)

Rain on the canopy is just one more of those little details that make all the difference.

Looks/sounds interesting, will the a.i. get some improvements for coop mode?

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. This DD has had me smiling like an idiot so far, it's looking brilliant! The rain effect is stunning, and you've really done the Cobra justice! :clapping:

Outrageous! The rain! Very immersive. Upcoming career mode will be special.

Interested in co-op news too.

A question: I know the DD says the wait for next update will be 'longer than usual', but is the plan to deliver an update with the extended map render distance and rain effects before the big, final December update, or will everything be delivered in December?

Thanks.

Edited by kendo

Awesome news ! Once again waiting for the next update will feel long !

I'm really looking forward to the coop mode, I think this will be a huge addition to the product. 

I do have a couple questions about the rain and how it will work. (I do keep in mind that this is work in progress)
First will that be a graphic option that can be turned off or will everyone have to deal with it, since visibility is quite hampered ?
Second, it looks like the water sticks to the canopy quite noticeably. More than what I experience in real modern aircrafts. Is this something that still needs to be tuned, or is it representative of true WW2 glass quality ?

Cheers !

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

A question: I know the DD says the wait for next update will be 'longer than usual', but is the plan to deliver an update with the extended map render distance and rain effects before the big, final December update, or will everything be delivered in December?

Thanks.

Been stated several times in several places that the next big update is coming at BOK release.

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to see how the rain will affect the behavior of the aircraft on the ground and in the airspace.

Thanks.

Yes, my guess is a big update at the end of December or beginning of January with a couple of hotfixes shortly after. That would make it v 3.0 and the launch of BOK i guess.

• Upvote 1

Looking great! Is there also an effect of the prop wash to the raindrops on the canopy before starting to roll on the runway?

Looking forward to see how the rain will affect the behavior of the aircraft on the ground and in the airspace.

I think this is just a cosmetic improvement to the canopy.

There has been rain in the game for a long time, so i would say that if those things are modelled at all they are there already.

May you sell millions of copies ... nobody deserves it more.

• Upvote 5

The sun did not shine It was too wet to play So we sat in a Lagg On that cold cold wet day. 2 Quote MultiQuote

The rain it came down

It just would not stop

So I gunned the throttle

And that LaGG it took off.

• Upvote 2

Han, please the same effect for Oil leaks, too :):salute:

Oil has much less surface tension. It's going to behave differently.

I understand this is a WIP (I hope)

As someone who flys in the rain, the effect is good until the plane gets up to speed, then the effect is poor. It's like you have the viscosity of the water set too high.
​The prop tends to "mist" the drops just behind the prop. The streaks would not be that thick and hard to see thru.

Also i hope that the dust effects on the field are toned down when rain is present.

Edited by Thrud
  • Upvote 3

Loving that rain. Was remembering the effect on the goggles in RoF just the other day; this outdoes it by a massive mile. :salute:

Cheers.

Every DD you guys post makes me more giddy for the next beta test.

I do say, good show gentlemen!

Edited by milopugdog

As I posted on FB. I don't know how it should look at 300 knts but it is pretty close to how hard rain looks on the bubble of an EC120 at 100 knts. Helicopters, rotors, and bubble caveats apply.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

The rain effect was especially good as it flowed along the sides of the canopy. Well done sirs.

For those already complaining this is preliminary work. It will be an optional effect. If you don't like it turn it off.

For everybody else who like it, thanks. It may not make it into the next update due to a backlog of work (some of our key personnel have been slowed due to illness and medical procedures), but it will come. It has to be applied and tweaked for each plane which takes time. 

What Han mentioned in the DD for COOP is both our basic functionality (very similar to ROF) which is coming for Kuban and a future feature we plan for next year that has a more Hyperlobby like interface which I am trying to get done for you guys. 

Jason

• Upvote 34

This is great stuff Jason, I shall be buying BOK as soon as I scrape the funds together!

Great visual improvement with rain!

Compared to some real-life example e.g here: https://youtu.be/q4CCZn45BoE (see first 3 mins) it seems to be pretty close.

Maybe it could be little more subtle but anyway, very cool!

Edited by tapi
  • Upvote 2

The Hyperlobby like interface is something that was really missing from this game and it has the potential to double the number of people playing online.

:salute:

If it is optional effect no one will use it in MP, it takes away visibility . I say make it server optional

• Upvote 3

If it is optional effect no one will use it in MP, it takes away visibility . I say make it server optional

Agreed. Seconded.

The rain is particularly impressive good to see it and looking forward to giving it a test in game. :cool:

The P-39 is coming together nicely also, excellent work guys, really appreciated. :salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin: