Han

Developer Diary, Part 175 - Discussion

:happy: Good idea, great improvement.

Thanks everyone - one question:

Will this apply to bomb site as well ?   one of the more difficult challenges of level bombing is sight distance.

I think this is some to take care, the level bombing sight distance.

Perhaps and option to make the objects in the target more easy to see (distance) and not for the other (city buildings) and not to impact too much in the perfomance.

Question:

That mean spoot range will incrase as well ? And how will be working on multiplayer map I hearded there its problem becouse  on server exp, TAW its limit ground units  FPS problem

Question:

That mean spoot range will incrase as well ? And how will be working on multiplayer map I hearded there its problem becouse  on server exp, TAW its limit ground units  FPS problem

The issues with ground objects and limits are related to the AI and CPU cycles required to maintain those units. Even if they aren't doing anything you still need to be checking on their state (i.e. destroyed/not destroyed) and communicating that.

What the devs showed off yesterday is a change in rendering for terrain in the distance. I can't see that having any direct impact on multiplayer clients in the same way running at low, medium and high details for graphics don't. None of the rendering changes are going to be communicated over the network. Not unless something funky is going on.

It was mentioned that fps were not affected that much, hope so,  Xmas coming and I not got £400 for new gfx card :(  

Still looks awesome though :)

I’ll bet we get this before Christmas

Every DD seems like Christmas!  :biggrin:

Yep,

each additional step walked by 1C 777 is making us move ahead at a pace and level of quality that I though was not possible these days, where the release of untested / unfinished stuff prevails.

1C 777 and the IL-2 Battle of ... series is really an Example of what I would like to have in my other fligth simulators...

Great News again!

Congratulations 1C 777 !!!

Does this mean plane spotting will be more realistic?

Also devs, maybe you could do a real surprise and already announce the official BoK release date? As you may know, plenty of things happen in December, including Chistmas Eve. And I would be p___ed if I missed the preorder price of the game. :crazy:

A great technological improvement for the simulator! Great job of all the DEVs. Now the landscapes from the sky look very real.

I only need two things to be the simulator of my life:

1. A fantastic and well designed campaign or career mode.
  2. An improvement in artificial intelligence. (AI pilots do what they have to do)

Thank you and congratulations on your great work week after week.

Its rather easy. Double the radius, and you get four times the number of objects to draw.

For me to be happy i don't need to double the radius just enough to make a larger aircraft fade away and not vanish. I am curious to know if spotting will improve with reduced haze.

For me to be happy i don't need to double the radius just enough to make a larger aircraft fade away and not vanish. I am curious to know if spotting will improve with reduced haze.

I think even 14 km would be well enough. I do however think that when the devs go to this task they will not just tweak some Parameters but think of a way to do this with minimal impact to performce as it seems this is their main requirement (understandable). That might need a while though..

I Rata flights without O2 Mask's n 6K)

In BoM our I-16 Type 24 does have an oxygen system, the game tells you the pilot starts using it at 3000m via technochat and you can find the blue piping and pressure indicator in the cockpit. There isn't a mask modelled sadly, but all of the planes without pressurized cockpits should have it as well, and IIRC none of the fighters in BoX does feature pressurized cockpits (maybe even pressurized ones if the pressure inside the cockpit doesn't compensate for the whole altitude range the plane can be at).

Awesome work! Those pictures looks very very good! Is this makes spotting possible from greater distances too?

Nope it's just landscape.

Read Jason's posts in this thread for more info.

I am curious about something.

For example, today's discussion on how the new haze should look was so tense and spirited you won't believe it, with many members of the team participating...

It sounds like there were multiple options and ideas explored to make this work and the team had lots of different ways to approach things. Curious if you can give us an insights into what those were? How far to push the distance out? More technical discussions on the type of haze and how it gets rendered in the 3D pipeline? Just curious!  :cool:

• Upvote 1

Right now no. Maybe later on we can do something about it, but for now no. That's not a promise though. Everyone underestimates the difficulty in that request.

Jason

Can you please at least confirm that the team understands it's a huge limitation and not a minor issue?

The short object render range makes level bombing from altitude pretty much impossible, fighter issues notwithstanding.

Edited by JG13_opcode
  • Upvote 2

Can you please at least confirm that the team understands it's a huge limitation and not a minor issue?

The short object render range makes level bombing from altitude pretty much impossible, fighter issues notwithstanding.

I bought BOS  about two years ago and i dont realy play it cause i feel i fly "blind"-there can be dozons of planes around me but i will not see them..

The solution they found in WT and DCS (with micro label) is very good,cant it be implemented in IL2 too?

Give me a "dot" and i will be a loyal customer.

Just curious if I can get details of increasing the distance of rendered objects. For buildings do you think a very simple low poly LOD would suffice? Or even at extreme altitudes would the terrain shifting to a flat image of those buildings like satellite imagery would be possible? Maybe even sprites be used for moving ground targets. Also for aircraft some games get away with a small dot render, not sure if you want to go that route but I havent seen it especially well done before. The transition from the dot to an LOD model isnt smooth in some of those games. Just some ideas to see if it helps. 

I bought BOS  about two years ago and i dont realy play it cause i feel i fly "blind"-there can be dozons of planes around me but i will not see them..

The solution they found in WT and DCS (with micro label) is very good,cant it be implemented in IL2 too?

Give me a "dot" and i will be a loyal customer.

You can already fly with labels on. Not sure I understand the problem.

You can already fly with labels on. Not sure I understand the problem.

Micro labels in DCS is actualy a dot that renders in a distance where you cant see the image of the plane anymore,very much like what WT does very seccessfuly IMHO.

That is a compromise,which is the best that can be done in HD res.

Im not an expert on this subject but this is my impression.

Edited by royrayter

Micro labels in DCS is actualy a dot that renders in a distance where you cant see the image of the plane anymore,very much like what WT does very seccessfuly IMHO.

That is a compromise,which is the best that can be done in HD res.

Im not an expert on this subject but this is my impression.

I used to play on a server called Warclouds back in the original IL2 days via Hyperlobby and they implemented something very similar.  The first thing you saw was a dot and as the distance decreased it slowly turned into text. 

The text gave the plane type and that was all and by the time you could read it good eyes could ident the aircraft visually anyway.  Also the text started out a neutral black colour and only changed to the side colour when you could read the text.

It worked beautifully in mine and many others opinion and went someway to mitigating the lack of fidelity that the pc's of the day could achieve in rendering reality and tbh I know todays pc's are a lot closer to doing that but they are still a very long way from actually doing it well enough that we dont need some kind of visual aid

One other thing I do not play with icons on but isnt there a coloured triangle usd as well... that is so immersion killing !  I know ROF had it but come on,, eeeehh.  

• Upvote 2

One other thing I do not play with icons on but isnt there a coloured triangle usd as well... that is so immersion killing !  I know ROF had it but come on,, eeeehh.  

Hi, er....Noddy :)    Yeah, I remember War Clouds very well.  Good description of the icon system too.  It did work very well. :salute:

I play with icons off in BoS.  Not sure what this immersion killing coloured triangle is?

where if I may ask ?

They are joking around.

The update will come at some point in December, hopefully before the holidays.

• Upvote 1

oh that would be really bad....  It would be nice if it would be it added for   BOK user bercause they are already  Early Access Users...     

And to become a tester, is really hard here. it looks like that at least ;D    

I asked a few month ago

Once again, another DD that gives us great news! ;) Thanks again for the continued hard work and pleasant surprises! :D

Over three decades served the Fog of War in the game never lives to be old. The bible stories about that Fog of War where some could see through and see what's behind. Yeah, it happens....... :rofl:

oh that would be really bad.... It would be nice if it would be it added for BOK user bercause they are already Early Access Users...

This improvement has nothing to do with BoK. It's for the entire sim and all its users, regardless if they own BoK.

• Upvote 1

This improvement has nothing to do with BoK. It's for the entire sim and all its users, regardless if they own BoK.

I know but only BoK is Early Access you know?

or they can add a early early access edition for everyone interested to test the new work in progress features and is aware of seeing bugs and not complain because of that because its WiP ^^

so a Work in Progress Edition would be nice

so that normal people who are not have the privilege to be a tester can also test just without support ^^

Edited by MrFies