VIRPILControls

Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

On 9/17/2018 at 6:35 AM, [CPT]Crunch said:

Couple of issues with the throttle, the E1 thru E3 rotaries are sticky, no matter the mode or type switch you use them in they constantly cancel themselves out by flipping both switches for both directions in either direction you rotate them.

I don't have a MongoosT-50 throttle, so I can't check myself, but there is the possibility that what you are considering to be the two buttons for both directions to be in fact two buttons for a single direction, one for slow rotation speed and one for fast rotation speed of the encoder (so each encoder would have 4 buttons in total, if this is the case).

The new software pack is write protected and locked causing errors.  If you put it straight in your programs files expect trouble, not even full admin permissions seem to work.  Create a new file and dump in the individual contents, than change permissions, than put it where you want.  Had the stick and throttle up and working, but attempting to close the virpil app crashed everything when it tried to write, the throttle is still there, but the stick is off to never never land somewhere because it never fully updated with the profile.

New software resolved pretty much all issues, everything up and running stable.  Back in the game.

Edited by [CPT]Crunch
update
  • Like 1

Does this throttle come with a thumbstick? I remember it was said to have one, but can't find that in the reviews... I would like to have a stick like that, so that I can later use it in Star Citizen as well.

6 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Does this throttle come with a thumbstick? I remember it was said to have one, but can't find that in the reviews... I would like to have a stick like that, so that I can later use it in Star Citizen as well.

No, or not yet anyways. Might be an option in the future.

19 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

T-50 don't have thumbstick - maybe in future versions.

IMO - The best "thumbstick" in throttles - for "space games", is in CH PRO throttle, because place thumbstick under thumb, making then more controllable than under middle finger (Jet's style). But this throttle design is very meh. 

Edited by Sokol1

Had to leave the house today for a couple of hours.  When I returned there was a notice from the PO saying they tried to deliver a package that needed a signature.  AARRRRGGGG!!  Now I have to wait til Monday to pick it up.

Just now, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Had to leave the house today for a couple of hours.  When I returned there was a notice from the PO saying they tried to deliver a package that needed a signature.  AARRRRGGGG!!  Now I have to wait til Monday to pick it up.

Yikes, that sux...

On 9/22/2018 at 5:06 PM, Sokol1 said:

T-50 don't have thumbstick - maybe in future versions.

IMO - The best "thumbstick" in throttles - for "space games", is in CH PRO throttle, because place thumbstick under thumb, making then more controllable than under middle finger (Jet's style). But this throttle design is very meh. 

I hope for future versions then.  :(

On 9/23/2018 at 8:10 AM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

which date did you order?

my 4th july order to singapore still haven't got the delivery notification yet -_______-"

Ordered June 25th.  Received shipment email on Sept 19th.  Attempted delivery by USPS on Sept 22nd. 

I think the shipping notice trailed the actual shipping date.  Hard to believe it got to NH so quickly.  I'll check once I get it.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Let me see if I have all the general steps to install as found in the Quick Startup Guide v1 - 11/2017. 

1. Run configuration software

2. Plug in device and check it's Ready

3. Check/Update the firmware and Save Profile

4. Calibrate and Save Profile

5. Test??

I assume I go through these steps once for the throttle, then for the joystick.  Missing anything?  Any tricky things to know?

As far as IL-2 goes should I delete all files in my input folder before starting it, I assume it will rebuild a default set?  There are a few directly mapped buttons from old throttle/joystick.  My plan is to map default keys to throttle/joystick buttons through the use of 3rd party software.

Thanks for any help.  Cheers!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Thanks.  Got the new configurator but the quick guide is still only v1.

It's confusing and tiresome, I hope soon Virpil will have a system in place that we'll be able to receive an automated email at least to let us know when a new software version is released and a new manual too.

The newest manual can be found here:

https://virpil.com/images/support/manuals/VPC-Configurator-V1.1-ENG.pdf

• Thanks 1

I'm scared!  😲

So at this point it looks like you can't assign keyboard characters to buttons in the Virpil software.

15 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I'm scared!  😲

So at this point it looks like you can't assign keyboard characters to buttons in the Virpil software.

You can't. VPC Configurator Light is an "firmware configurarator" without any keyboard emulation ability, is not a "keyboard emulation" software like TARGET, Manager, SST.

If you want "press joystick buttons to press keyboard keys to activate commands in games" use Joystick Gremlin (freeware).

Edited by Sokol1

Anyone can advise on how to make the MODE switch to be a modifier too ? SO that it doesn't only change the LED color but also multiplies the possible assignments on the throttle (ideally so that you can have up to 5 different profiles depending on which airplane and/or sim you play) ?

Also anyone knows how to make the T2 ans T3 switches to give a different key for and down ?

In any case, a detailed manual and "how to" is what is missing to make a very good throttle exceptional.

6 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

VPC Configurator Light is an "firmware configurarator" without any keyboard emulation ability

Roger that.  The throttle/joystick are seen by IL-2 and work if the buttons are mapped directly.  I thought I would be using a 3rd party software to do the keyboard mapping to the throttle/joystick.  I have always used JoyToKey but I see it is not recognizing toggle switches and has a limited number of buttons.  I installed Gremlin but I am having issues making it work.  Plugging away.

48 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I have always used JoyToKey but I see it is not recognizing toggle switches and has a limited number of buttons. 

JoyToKey work with toggle switch - mapping key press in ON and OFF state of switch.

In "keyboard 2" tab tick: 

"[Input 1] when the button is released (and [Input 2] when is pressed)."

Anyway Joystick Gremlin is most powerful and allow set pause/delay between keys.

Edited by Sokol1

By the way, I have both the throttle and joystick set up and working in IL-2.  Although I have questions about how to set up certain things in 3rd party software (which is coming along) I have to say that I am extremely impressed and pleased with the equipment.  Top notch.  I am coming from a CH Pro Throttle and an MSFFB2 Joystick.  I took it for a spin in QMB with basic controls set up and I won't be missing the FFB as there are so many other pluses.  I have never laid hands on a Thrustmaster Warthog so I can't compare with that.

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

......I won't be missing the FFB as there are so many other pluses.......

If you really want to have some form of a feedback, do as I did. Get a Buttkicker Gamer 2 and clamp it on where you mount your joystick.

Better yet, get a two channel bass shaker amp and two transducers. Clamp one under the chair and one on the joystick mount.

Edited by BP_Lizard
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2018 at 10:58 PM, 335th_GRMultiDoc said:

Anyone can advise on how to make the MODE switch to be a modifier too ? SO that it doesn't only change the LED color but also multiplies the possible assignments on the throttle (ideally so that you can have up to 5 different profiles depending on which airplane and/or sim you play) ?

Also anyone knows how to make the T2 ans T3 switches to give a different key for and down ?

In any case, a detailed manual and "how to" is what is missing to make a very good throttle exceptional.

If you have loaded the correct profile (there is only one available in the latest configurator so no possible mistake, but the previous had 2, one of them not accounting for the switch function)

The switch function changes the output of the B1 to B8 buttons and nothing more (B1 triggers b22 output in mode 1, b50 in mode 2, b59 in mode 3 etc...)

You notice in the JoyTester that there is only 81 outputs for the throttle and that all of them can be activated with the current profile.

However in the main configurator window, in the white table on the right there is a total of 96 available outputs, the last 15 of them being unnassigned.

So there you can modify the behavior of some existing functions and add some more. But unless they come up with an updated software which allow for more outputs (providing it's not hardware limitation) 5 full profiles will not be possible as far as my understanding goes. :mellow:

For your T2 and T3 switches :

Locate the lines button 32 and button 33 in the big white button table. The button 32 is for T2, and button 33 for T3. 

You can read in the second column that they are bound respectively to the N°28 and N°30 physical buttons.

They function in switch mode (3rd column) meaning that when you switch the physical state of the switch, it triggers the logical button. 

You also notice that the switches in the "up" position correspond to the N°29 and N°31 physical input, but these ones are nowhere to be found in the table.

So how to register the up position as a different output :

First modify the button 32 and button 33 to a standard profile (like push buttons) by double-clicking on the line. In the menu that opens, first thing to do is to untick the auto-bind function or else it may change the input to another button of the throttle and mess things up. Verify that the physical input is still correct (N°28 for button 32) then change the mode from "switch" to "normal" and put the delay timer to 0. click on save to go back to the button table.

Then scroll down to the button 82 and button 83 lines (which should be empty), double click on them and modifiy the physical button entry to 29 and 31 respectively (switch in the up position), and mode to normal. save these settings.

Load the new profile into the throttle, and launch the VPC Joy Tester. Now the throttle appears with 83 buttons and switching the T2 and T3 down/up will trigger the button 32/82 and 33/83 with continuous output. And Voilà ! :)

Once you get this, it is pretty easy to understand how to activate the 13 other unassigned buttons using the shift function. Just edit the button line, put the physical input of the button you want to change, and set the "shift" line to the state of the mode switch you need.

EDIT there is also the 4 outputs for the POV that are unassigned, so you can use them as additionnal buttons

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/26/2018 at 2:07 AM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Roger that.  The throttle/joystick are seen by IL-2 and work if the buttons are mapped directly.  I thought I would be using a 3rd party software to do the keyboard mapping to the throttle/joystick.  I have always used JoyToKey but I see it is not recognizing toggle switches and has a limited number of buttons.  I installed Gremlin but I am having issues making it work.  Plugging away.

Now possible with up to 128 buttons! The developer is really fast reacting. Made a donation to him!

1 hour ago, l_MaD_l said:

Now possible with up to 128 buttons! The developer is really fast reacting. Made a donation to him!

What is the version number?  I have v6.1.1 dated Sept 23 and still restricted to 32. 

EDIT: nevermind, dl'ed the beta

5 DAYS - DPD STANDARD DELIVERY VIA TRACKS ..

But they sent from EU store in Liethuania which is neighbour of Poland

Now I wonder how to get all 96 buttons to work in Elite and IL2 ?

Edited by TWHYata_PL

IL-2:GB sees up to 64 DX buttons, Elite probable use the old Dinput protocol and see only 32, so you need use Joystick Gremlin, JoyTokey, SVMapper for translate buttons above # 32 in key press.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 12:52 AM, Sokol1 said:

IL-2:GB sees up to 64 DX buttons, Elite probable use the old Dinput protocol and see only 32, so you need use Joystick Gremlin, JoyTokey, SVMapper for translate buttons above # 32 in key press.

currently I have serious issue with Il 2 , stick and throtte are not visible in this game, they was working 2 days ago but now I can't map anything in IL2...

win 10 device manager see all devices also I can do mapping in ED. Should I delete any Il2 input files ? I have there my old bindings from Saiteck x52pro.

solved by deleting 2 files in input folder

all throttle 96 buttons are working !

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Upvote 1