VIRPILControls

Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Thanks for the info Gruber.  I like your idea for the covered switch.  Does the VPC Configurator Light add a lot of functionality?  Can I just program the throttle using the IL-2 assignments screen?

I haven't installed the VPC software yet. Everything is bound through the IL2 menu.

I might install it in the future to adjust the LED colours, but for now I don't feel like I need it. 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

VPC Configurator Light is not a "keyboard emulator" (like Manager, SST, TARGET, Joystick Gremlin, Joy2key...) , is used for chance some behavior of buttons/HAT's in stick/throttle firmware - hence don't need keep running in games background like the above softwares, its use does not make unnecessary  assign buttons/HAT's in IL-2 control GUI.

Found a nice surprise when my doorbell rang earlier today, the post office delivery person with my throttle! It was shipped 8/22 and made it to Virginia in 7 days, a heck of a lot faster then the mongoose base/stick i ordered last year. Arrived in good shape, no dents, dings, or damage. Have to update the firmware on my stick before I play with this baby. I will say though that I never received a shipping/tracking e-mail from Virpil, which accounted for a lot of my concerns about my order. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Found a nice surprise when my doorbell rang earlier today, the post office delivery person with my throttle! It was shipped 8/22 and made it to Virginia in 7 days, a heck of a lot faster then the mongoose base/stick i ordered last year. Arrived in good shape, no dents, dings, or damage. Have to update the firmware on my stick before I play with this baby. I will say though that I never received a shipping/tracking e-mail from Virpil, which accounted for a lot of my concerns about my order. 

Congrats!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Sweet, looking forward to hearing impressions.  Would you remember your order date?  Might give some of us a hint of where we sit.

10 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Sweet, looking forward to hearing impressions.  Would you remember your order date?  Might give some of us a hint of where we sit.

I placed my order on 22 Apr. I haven't got it set-up yet, I had to update my stick first and ran into a little glitch with that. Going to set up some key bindings in a little bit for IL2. Only thing I've noticed so far is that the six toggles have some lateral play in them, not what I am used to with toggles (not just toggles on sticks/throttles), probably makes no difference, I just found it unusual. The spring loaded mechanism that locks the two throttle levers together works very smoothly and is not as "fiddly" as the warthog throttle. Movement of the throttles is very smooth through their full range. I'll post more after I run it through it's paces. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2018 at 3:42 AM, Gramps said:

I placed my order on 22 Apr. I haven't got it set-up yet, I had to update my stick first and ran into a little glitch with that. Going to set up some key bindings in a little bit for IL2. Only thing I've noticed so far is that the six toggles have some lateral play in them, not what I am used to with toggles (not just toggles on sticks/throttles), probably makes no difference, I just found it unusual. The spring loaded mechanism that locks the two throttle levers together works very smoothly and is not as "fiddly" as the warthog throttle. Movement of the throttles is very smooth through their full range. I'll post more after I run it through it's paces. 

You may also notice that the 5 positions mode selector switch has some kind of play too.

I believe that these components are mounted directly onto the plastic layer of the LED backlighting system under the aluminium casing, and not directly on some rigid metal support, hence the small lateral play.

Edit : Nope, I checked again, mounting is just fine. 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I saw an update from virpil on reddit for Aug 31. I dont think I'll receive my throttle in a while.

Hope it won’t be as suspenseful and painful as your stick experience. 😄

• Haha 1

Since the software has been updated to work with the throttle I figured I should update the firmware on my T50 stick first. To me it appeared I had screwed it up, but when Cyph3r took a look at it, he said it was fine. I had a brain cramp (getting old sucks) when loading/saving the device profile. When I see "load" or "save" I tend to think in lines along hard disk, ssd, usb, etc. I forgot I was working with the device eprom. When you first start the configurator it shows "not sync". after loading the device profile it changes to "sync" and turns green. After calibrating and testing I clicked "save device profile", which it did, but then the software went out of sync, which I thought was in error. But it wasn't, saving the device profile clears it from the software (thanks cyph3r). Now onto my impressions of the T50 throttle.

First I need to clarify my earlier statement about the lateral play in the toggles. The mounting of the toggles is firm and I have no lateral movement of the toggles like Gruber mentioned. I was actually talking about the stems on the toggles, which does not appear to cause any problems. I find the movment of the throttles to be extremely smooth and felt no need to adjust the tension. I also have not fiddled with the detents as I see no reason to set them for IL2, maybe, if I ever fire up DCS again I will.

I found that I could easily manipulate all of the hats/buttons and the axis wheel on the throttles without having to contort my hand to reach them. The axis lever on the base if also easy to manipulate while holding the throttle. All of the buttons have a nice firm feel when pressing them, don't see accidentally pressing one. The toggles, well they're toggles, not much else to say. The movement of the two rotaries, and the three encoders, are all very smooth. I will note that when the red flip cover is in the down position it forces the toggle into that position acting as a hold. Between the T-50 stick and throttle there are enough buttons, hats, switches, and rotaries to probably satisfy your needs. Some people have mentioned the lack of a mini-stick on the throttle, I understand a mini-stick version is in the future, and those were comments from the DCS crowd. In DCS my focus is on the helicopters only and I have never thought the min-stick was really needed. 

As for the software, I haven't delved into it much so far. It appears to allow for numerous modifications to the various functions. I'll leave that for future comments once I have some time playing with it. So, do I think that the throttle is worth the current price? I do, but anyone else will have to judge that for themselves.

• Thanks 2

How do people use temporary switches in IL2? Im very curious.

EDIT: I meant the toggle switches, not temporary ones.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

United States Postal Service here in Virginia. Both times, stick, and then throttle. Not a "leave on the step" delivery, had to be signed for.

Edited by Gramps
  • Thanks 1

New version of configurator software and manual in English. The manual is not complete, with additions to come, but enough to get you started.

VPC Configurator Software - Updated 04/09/2018:
DOWNLOAD

VPC Configurator Software Manual:
DOWNLOAD

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, Jade_Monkey said:

How do people use temporary switches in IL2? Im very curious.

EDIT: I meant the toggle switches, not temporary ones.

Most obvious use is for things like instrument, navigation lights, landing gear...

PRO  - Toggle switch UP or DOWN position give an visual or tactile feedback of control status.

CON - Due the "toggle status" only option for game commands  (e.g. press G for landing gear DOWN and press G again for landing gear UP) - except for flaps, the use of "toggle switches" (don't confuse with "toggle status") require cautiously "check list" before every flight or may end with inverted positions between switch and game command.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:54 AM, Gramps said:

I also have not fiddled with the detents as I see no reason to set them for IL2,

I will use this detents for set - e.g. for Bf 109, the normal power limit, before enter in emergency power - I hate "technochat" and "HUD's".

In some of this WWII planes the (real) pilot need tilt the power lever a bit for bypass a "gate", most commonly a kind of steep "_--" before could use emergency power.

• Upvote 1

hi . i just installed the new throttle . It works in DCS . In  IL2 i can manage to modify the bindings, the throttle seems to work in the menu but in game nothing happens . Someone had this problem ?

Hmmm, strange, I haven't had any issues with the throttle here, except for the ID's changing when I updated the firmware. In your data/input folder for IL2 open the devices.txt file to see what it says. When I updated the throttle firmware IL2 saw the throttle as the stick, and vice-versa. 

What stick are you using, and did you have a different throttle before you installed the new one?

Edited by Gramps
info request

Thanks for the info from you guys that have received the throttle.  I am awaiting mine and my head is twirling with ideas of how to set the switches and buttons.  I am a bit confused about how some will work.  Can someone tell me for instance, can the lever to the right of the throttle be used to set engine rpm?

5 minutes ago, -IRRE-Biluf said:

This lever is the Z Axis of the throttle. So, yes You Can

I have mine set-up this way, and I use the scroll wheel for mixture control. Keeps them both very convenient.

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting the throttle myself, but i'm a bit wary about it's usefulness...  I only play Il-2 (I'm always have the goal to go back to DCS, but to be really honest.. That's never going to actually happen 🙄). With keeping purely Il-2 in mind. Is a throttle like this one worth it? I like the idea of not using the keyboard any more, and everything get's better with flipping switches.

Bottomline. Has anyone been able to make a useful and nice mapping with this throttle for BOX?

Thnx

Grt,

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

Hi Biluf,

Currently i have a Gladiator pro and a VKB Rudder. I don't mind steep pricing per see. But since Il-2 BOX doesn't really has any extreem complex system's i'm a bit afraid that i won't be using most of the button's and switches on the unit. 

Grt M   

PS: One thing that i would really like is to control horizontal trim with the small stick on the right. Is that possible?

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

The great thing with this device is the good amount of axes, 2 with the throttle handles, 1 with the side lever, 1 with the throttle wheel and 2 more with the sliders (bottom left).

This is all you need to fine tune your engine settings.

You sure will have too much buttons. Plus you have a 5 switchs positions to affect even more buttons.

This throttle is all about axes. If you can afford it, go for it. Specially if you don't have this kind of device already.

Edited by -IRRE-Biluf
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, -IRRE-Nyechou said:

hi . i just installed the new throttle . It works in DCS . In  IL2 i can manage to modify the bindings, the throttle seems to work in the menu but in game nothing happens . Someone had this problem ?

Had the same problem, keys and axis bind with no problems, but nothing happened in game.  Make a long story short, the only thing that worked was delete everything in the input folder and restart the game, than rebind everything.

Throttle 36 arrived 9/14 was ordered 28 April.  Was sent a tracking number, but did put in a request for one a few weeks prior.

Not so intuitive to set up, but you really can't brick it no matter what you try.  Can do some weird things like see two sticks instead of a throttle, or vice versa.

Like the ability to completely disable the detents, throttles are nice and smooth, consistent from end to end of travel, did play with the friction to get them just right.  Looking forward to the software evolving a bit more though, works for now.  Ergonomically no complaints, integrated quick right into my chair setup.

Couple of issues with the throttle, the E1 thru E3 rotaries are sticky, no matter the mode or type switch you use them in they constantly cancel themselves out by flipping both switches for both directions in either direction you rotate them.  Kind of makes them pointless unless you only plan on opening something one way using half the ability.  Timing settings didn't help either.  Hope there's a software fix for sensitivity coming.

The T-1 is bumped and activated by lifting the protective switch or lowering it, not solely by flipping the switch physically with your own finger.  I thought the concept of the cover design was to prevent exactly that.  Don't use it for anything important as it is.

8 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

The T-1 is bumped and activated by lifting the protective switch or lowering it, not solely by flipping the switch physically with your own finger.  I thought the concept of the cover design was to prevent exactly that.  Don't use it for anything important as it is.

T1 is a double way switch. The cover prevents it from being flipped upwards

The fact that it triggers a second, different output when the cover is raised or lowered is a design feature, and I find it to be very interesting.

So if you assign the upward motion of the switch (let's call it button 1 for that matter) to eject your pilot, raising and lowering the cover guard will only trigger "button 2" (the down motion) which can be assigned to a different command and you will never accidentaly eject during flight. This is in my opinion a much clever option than a regular dumb cover, with an additional feature that you are free to use or not.

I've assigned it this way in IL2 : Cover flip > open / close canopy ; upward switch > eject pilot.

For Cliffs of Dover : Cover flip > jettisson canopy ; upward switch > bail out

And in Xplane 11 737 : Cover flip > battery switch guard open / close ; upward switch > battery off

Works flawlessly

Also for the E1 to E3 rotaries, I don't know where you are reading your inputs, but beware of the configurator screen and what it shows.

I'm also getting an occasionnal reading of both input at the same time when rotating in a single direction.

What you should check : on the bottom of the configurator window you have the "VPC joy tester" button. Click on that and test you rotaries and what you get as an output in the little window. Despite the double input in the configurator screen, I only get a single output on the testing screen, one for each side towards which I'm rotating the knob.

And this also correlates to what I'm getting ingame, so far it works as intended.

So don't trust the configuration screen for the time being, Maybe they will adjust that in the future. Or it may be displaying the throttle raw input, which is obviously different to the actual output sent to your computer after being processed by the throttle's chipboard. 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

30 minutes ago, F/JG300_Gruber said:

Also for the E1 to E3 rotaries, I don't know where you are reading your inputs, but beware of the configurator screen and what it shows.

I'm also getting an occasionnal reading of both input at the same time when rotating in a single direction.

What you should check : on the bottom of the configurator window you have the "VPC joy tester" button. Click on that and test you rotaries and what you get as an output in the little window. Despite the double input in the configurator screen, I only get a single output on the testing screen, one for each side towards which I'm rotating the knob.

And this also correlates to what I'm getting ingame, so far it works as intended.

I'm seeing this the same way as Gruber.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, I./ZG1_Martijnvdm said:

I'm thinking of getting the throttle myself, but i'm a bit wary about it's usefulness...  I only play Il-2 (I'm always have the goal to go back to DCS, but to be really honest.. That's never going to actually happen 🙄). With keeping purely Il-2 in mind. Is a throttle like this one worth it?

For now T50 throttle*  is - in terms of functions,  the best option for IL-2 or WWII planes games.

* Custom "boutique" throttles from GVL224 or Kanttorin is another option.

• Thanks 1

In the tester they're locked out solid red, no response at all, but the push down function works.  They do respond in the configuration tool as before.

More interesting is all buttons on the right throttle are dead, zero response in anything on that lever.  Was working ok last session.   Little bit buggy, at least I'm hoping.

12 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

For now T50 throttle*  is - in terms of functions,  the best option for IL-2 or WWII planes games.

* Custom "boutique" throttles from GVL224 or Kanttorin is another option.

That's good to hear. I'm also looking into GVL224's throttles. Those look good as well. 

Grt M

9 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

In the tester they're locked out solid red, no response at all, but the push down function works.  They do respond in the configuration tool as before.

More interesting is all buttons on the right throttle are dead, zero response in anything on that lever.  Was working ok last session.   Little bit buggy, at least I'm hoping.

It looks like the configuration software was updated yesterday.

If I were you I would first download this new version, and go through the firmware update procedure once again, in case something went wrong the first time.

Also don't forget, once you've upgraded the firmware, to import a throttle profile (button on the bottom left of the window) from the files provided in the configurator folder (correct profile file name is "VPC throttle 5modes.cnfV06").

It won't work properly if you don't do that after a firmware update. You will also have to do a calibration of the axis afterwards.

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber