HecticMash

New Player Struggling with TrackIR 5

As a player that is relatively new to flight sims (less than 30 hours flight time) i'm looking for some advice in dealing with my trackir problems.

I've watched many hours of tutorials and written guides online and am dying to get some actual solid flying hours, however my TrackIR 5 is completely preventing me from having fun whatsoever.

I'm unable to replicate the ''smoothness'' that I see so many others use their trackIR for, instead of it being a useful immersive tool, I feel like I am constantly fighting my TIR.

A few things that I've noticed;

1. I start out in a quick mission (LaGG3), the camera seems to be off center to the right somewhat, this means if I want to use my aiming reticule i'm forced to raise my head up and to the left, is this done on purpose?

2. I use the center key almost constantly, as when I recenter my head, the view always ends up somewhat offkey/unbalanced.

3. When I try to look at an aircraft's instrument panel by looking down and moving my head forward, the view ends up violently moving away from where I want to look, I'm unable to zoom in and get a detailed look.

4. After struggling around in the aircraft for about 30 minutes I've noticed that I noticeably get motion sickness or some kind of vertigo.

I currently feel like I'm wasting my time as i'm not fighting the aircraft (and learning from my mistakes), but I'm fighting the TIR system, which doesnt alot me to become immersed or enjoy this brilliant sim at all.

Does anyone have any advice for me or could point me in the right direction? 

First impressions is that you're loosing tracking somehow.   A couple tips first off.  

Make sure you don't have any light sources behind you especially windows with sun.  This is a big problem. 

Second open up the trackir software and make sure you're centered and the camera is seeing your clip or hat clip from for most of your movement.  No obstructions 

You will want to either use an existing profile or make one your own.  You want the acceleration in the center to be small and a little faster on either side.  You also want a bit of a dead zone in the center.

Yes some aircraft will not be centered on the site.  Most Russian aircraft are centered but the Germans are not.  You do have to lean into them a bit. 

PS I think your biggest problem is your losing tracking somehow.  Once you get that sorted then come back here and post an update

My advice is to start simply by only using the yaw, pitch and x-y axis, so that you can look up and down and around. Disable the z axis initially - then you will not be able to zoom with TiR: but the advantage is that you will not do it accidentally. Should help with the vertigo.  Once you have the basic looking around function working well you can try adding the z axis : I actually never use it, I prefer to use zoom on a pair of buttons.

Also disable the roll axis - it serves no useful purpose.

As CaptStubing says, work on the profile.  Recentering is a fact of life with TiR - I sometimes lose tracking if I look up too far. It does take a while to get the thing working but it is well worth the effort.

Try this: RoF.xml

Edited by unreasonable

I think the light source indeed was the problem! Would you have any advice on what TIR profile to start out with? I tried to use the Requiem one from the forums but this made me motion sick very quickly.

The leaning into the gunsights seems to be a big problem for me, I never can seem to get in a comfortable position to line up accurate shots, the Snap View with f10 centered behind my gunsight alleviates this somewhat, but this leaves me stuck behind my gunsights for the remainder of the flight, is there a button i'm missing to reset the view to standard again?

I'm so surprised how smooth everyone uses TIR on the videos I've been watching, I just feel i'm doing something wrong.

i can send u my profile when i get home, its modified requiem, i think it the best...   ;)

i have a button on my throttle with BOTH,  IL2BOS "center view" (?F1?, dont remember now) AND TIR software "center view" assigned to it...

• Upvote 1

In the Trackir software, you'll see two adjustments on a sliding scale. Turn "fast" down and "smooth" up. That will help a little bit. When you're in the cockpit press F7. That's the precision setting and will slow things down for you. The last thing is move your head slower.

Trying to look closer and down and losing the track is usually caused from being too close to the camera. Also, as was said. Make sure you are centered in the crosshair in the Trackir software.

Also, i'm not sure you're aware, but the gunsight won't stay centered in the HUD when flying. Even without Trackir. It's a matter of positioning the plane in the right position for the shot.

The profile is not your problem. I can use the default profile and it works fine.

Edited by BuzzU

Is there an amount that I should start out on? Currently my TIR speed is 1 and Smooth is 25, also would this be something you gradually change over time or is this just a setting that most people use in TIR?

Turn smooth all the way up to 50 for now. Make sure to go try F7 and see if that helps.

I can't say enough about YouTube

Setting up your Track IR

I use Sheriff's TIR profile and his in game settings, if you figure out how to use and set up your TIR send me a PM and I'll send you his profile and game settings. The only thing I use differently to center my view is F1, it's the player cockpit default setting in game from all the way back to the legacy game.  I used to use external settings way back in 2001 and mapped F1 to bring me back in the cockpit and centered.  I still use it today, and use the zoom in, out and Numpad 5 center with the saved F10 setting, I also use the look at instruments when I'm flying the I-16, otherwise they are hard to see.  I'm using the Warthog HOTAS, F1 is on the stick and the other four are on the throttle Hat. 

Cheers

Hoss

• Upvote 1

What kind of clip are you using? I used the standard clip few years and had a lot of problems when i had to check my six or look up, but then i bought wireless UTC Mk II clip and downloaded Requiem 6DOF profile and i havent had any tracking issues with TIR since. Even light sunlight doesnt cause any issues.

Profile can be found here https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/12051-tutorialstir-profiles-views-curves-explained-3-jan-2013/

Its not the same Requiems profile found in BoX forums which i didnt like either.

Just a few pointers which may or may not help:

In the TrackIR software make sure you have the correct clip selected (TrackClip or TrackClipPro).

For motion control I used Speed =1 and Smooth = 50.

Make sure TrueView is ticked under Motion Adjustment, in Advanced Settings.

Make sure the camera can always see your TrackClip and you have a good range of motion in each direction (use the 3D view and Camera view in the software to experiment).

With everything set up correctly I find that I rarely need to use the "Centre TrackIR" button, I can even leave my desk, come back and it / I should be centered.

Settings are a very subjective thing, but contrary to what Buzz suggested, I would be careful with "smooth" parameter and actually turn it down. By definition it causes the inevitable input-output delay, which was THE main reason for motion sickness I was noticing when I bought and started learning my TiR 5. Turning it off completely made the device too sensitive, of course, so I settled for 5 (+ speed 1) and adjusted curves to more parabolic ones.

I've never got sick in a flight sim. I do on occasion in race sims if I just ate a meal and am driving a fast car at a track like Nurburgring. 

VR didn't agree with me so much, that resulted in a bit of motion sickness. But I've never had that with TrackIR.

I'd agree with Art-J though, I wouldn't suggest increasing the smoothness if you're concerned about that. The motion sickness comes in from your head movement and your view not being aligned, and it is likely to be worse if you're movement is slower. Also you'll find that, if your field of view moves slower than your head, you run out of screen and can't see in game because you end up looking away from the screen too far.

Edited by Royal_Flight

It doesn't even need to be light sources that screw it up. When one of our white dogs hops on the couch behind me, my track IR freaks out.

First 

Do you have a track clip?

Is your TIR offset from the center of the screen? it should be about 5 to 6 inches to the same side as your track clip.

Beginners to TIR should have a good center dead zone in all axis, and as you get used to it you can reduce it later if need be.

This helps with flying and shooting and tends to keep the gun sight where it needs to be. you should try to keep a straight line between your head and gun sight and target.

If you are getting motion sick I would use a profile that has as little head movement as possible, the side effect of this is reduced travel of your head with max rotation in the game, these type of profiles tend to be a bit faster than standard profiles so it takes a little getting used too.

Always center your view before getting into the game when you start you TIR, two reasons for this are, one you can see if you have anything other than 3 dots or 3 LEDs in the software

Second is you can adjust your sitting position to be close to where you will be sitting while in game and then center your TIR with the key you have set up.

if you are having to look out the extreme corner of your eyes to see behind you your profile is too soft.

Remember, TIR is counter to natural humans head and eye movement, it's not natural to turn your head left and then look right.

I don't think I move my head more than 20 degrees from center to get  the max view in game.

Also I haven't seen a game profile that I tried that did not need some sort of tweaking to make it work to fit my style.

Ultimately it will be what you are comfortable with and what works for you!

Edited by Panp

A good tip is to make the precision button the trigger so when u shoot it stabalises