Wizzzard

World War One planes to fly in IL2 games

WW I planes in IL2?

This might be sacrilegious, but, how about creating a few popular WW I planes to fly in current  WW II games.

They could be sold as a package and/or individually.

Have a couple of AI fighters and 2 seaters, and a bomber in the game for each side for us to chose to fly against and let us buy one or more of those planes to fly.

I don't think we really care that much what the ground looks like when we are in the air in a dog fight with another plane.

777 makes more money with much lower investment than creating a whole new game.

• Upvote 2

Not going to happen.

There is a desire to return to WWI - but they're running a business and it might never pencil out.

I would certainly enjoy it if Jason were able to do this. I miss flying RoF, but since my switch to VR, its no longer a game I boot up.

• Upvote 4

It's been brought up before but doesnt look likely anytime soon :(

I'd buy them as collector planes. Sell em in pairs one allied, one axis.

• Upvote 1

VR is my motivation also.

Flying ROF using Oculus Rift, Virtual Desktop, Tridef 3D and TrackIR works, but not very smooth or easy.

• Upvote 1

The port would be the planes and maps to BoX rather than BoX features to RoF.  Would love to see it but I don't see it happening.  Somethings might be small (I would guess that porting maps would not be a big deal) while others like FM, DM, and AI would need lots of work.  

Business plan is already set for well into the future.  Small team.  Limited bandwidth.  Just don't see it.

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of popular ww2 planes I'd like to see rather than put any effort into ww1 stuff. ROF already exists.

There are a lot of popular ww2 planes I'd like to see rather than put any effort into ww1 stuff. ROF already exists.

Not with VR it doesnt :(

• Upvote 2

Flying ROF using Oculus Rift, Virtual Desktop, Tridef 3D and TrackIR works, but not very smooth or easy. Not true VR

• Upvote 1

The WWI planes offer a visceral feeling of flight like nothing else. I understand the attraction and wish to see them in this engine.

Patrick called it like it is though.

There's a plan and an obligation to stick to it.

• Upvote 2

If they ever release a WWI planes and map pack(s?) id buy em right away. But its difficult to gauge the demand for it and the effort might not actually pay off.

• Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

One way to solve this, run a poll on this forum to see what people think. I like to think I like all aircraft and I do. I just... ...hated rof. It just felt horrible to fly. Whether that was the planes or my stick compatibility with the game, but it didn't do it for me as a game. It also looks awfully dated now which doesn't help matters.

I do like looking at the old ww1 stuff in museums though.

VR for now I can't justify the financial outlay. Getting a decent enough computer to run il2 well is hard enough to justify.

Edited by deleted@30725

Last week I went ahead and got IL2-BOM which has the I-16 Type 24. It is the next best thing to a WW1 airplane, open cockpit, simple controls etc. All that is missing is the upper wing blocking my vision. I think it is going to satisfy my "need" until someone comes out with a WW1 game in DX12 (or later).

Wizzzard out.

Last week I went ahead and got IL2-BOM which has the I-16 Type 24. It is the next best thing to a WW1 airplane, open cockpit, simple controls etc. All that is missing is the upper wing blocking my vision. I think it is going to satisfy my "need" until someone comes out with a WW1 game in DX12 (or later).

Wizzzard out.

Or until the Po-2 is released, right?

I can just imagine Il2 and Rof becoming the same game. Imagine Dr1 vs. The Spit lol

The DR1 might actually have a chance lol.

There are so many inter-war planes that would be nice to have before recreating the RoF wheel...

300px-Polikarpov_I-15bis.jpg Polikarpov-I-153.jpg  <--- these two brothers

1_1.jpg  <--- This guy could see action in several places...

fiat-cr42.jpg  <--- This guy may have been a bit late to the party, but still showed up anyway.

• Upvote 2

I would love to see some sort of Spanish Civil War release. It's a theatre I know next to nothing about (pretty much my only insight into it is from a Biggles adventure novel and modded 1946) but the combination of the peak of biplane designs vs early monoplanes would make for some really interesting air combat.

I'd envision more old-style dogfighting in biplane fighters and I'd imagine that certain bomber aircraft (He-111E vs SB-3, maybe?) would be almost impossible to catch at full speed and high enough altitude. This being the era of 'the bomber will always get through', after all.

A few fighters and torpedo bombers biplanes, built in the inter-war period, made it with some success in the WWII theaters, mainly the Gloster Gladiator, the Italian CR 42 Falco, the Polikarpov I-15 and some others. I would love to have some of them in BOX.

But I am afraid we have Kuban to terminate and start the Pacific theater and concentrate on Zero's, Corsair, Wildcats, Dauntless, Val, Oscar, Betty, P38, P51, B17,  etc.. etc.. etc.. + all the various ships, and carriers.

There is work for the next decade. I am already putting money aside for all these goodies. The airplane factory must be kept humming at mad pace.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see some sort of Spanish Civil War release. It's a theatre I know next to nothing about (pretty much my only insight into it is from a Biggles adventure novel and modded 1946) but the combination of the peak of biplane designs vs early monoplanes would make for some really interesting air combat.

I'd envision more old-style dogfighting in biplane fighters and I'd imagine that certain bomber aircraft (He-111E vs SB-3, maybe?) would be almost impossible to catch at full speed and high enough altitude. This being the era of 'the bomber will always get through', after all.

The Ju 52 (which is already in BoX, not sure about the exact variant though) was used as a bomber during the Spanish Civil War.

Some more earlier aircraft, such as early laggs, yaks, Hs-123, I-153 would be appropriate at some point hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see it, too.  Hell I'd be down at 20 bucks a plane at first to support the effort (I'd expect they'd sell for less as conversion got easier due to knowledge/tools being gained).  My guess is that conversion isn't that easy.  It seems like it should be possible given that it's the same engine, but clearly it's not that easy to do as the demand is obviously there but we've seen no action.  Also while people like myself who own (I think) every plane and mod in ROF would gladly pay again to get them into IL-2, I could see it sparking controversy and pissing off other people who also own the planes but don't want to pay a second time just to get them into the new engine.  I don't think they want to deal with that at all. 

It does seem like low hanging fruit having all those models there ready to go though.  Hopefully as VR expands interest in combat flight sims will expand as well.  Bringing in a new audience would bring in more cash, more team members, more dev time, maybe a crack at ROF on top of everything else going on.

• Upvote 1

I bought all the planes for ROF as well as the channel map. Sadly, due to VR (or lack thereof) I no longer play it. ROFVR.... I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 3

Sure would be nice to see an entire merger of the two. Not necessarily discontinue either of the two, just make them both use the same launcher from now on. Wishful thinking, but I feel this company deserves to have all their work in one big game. So far the only thing close to IL-2 BoX standards is RoF. And that could possibly open the door to aircraft between WWI and WWII.

Campaign through and between two world wars would be long one but how much you can learn from it :)

Edited by 307_Tomcat

The Ju 52 (which is already in BoX, not sure about the exact variant though) was used as a bomber during the Spanish Civil War.

Yeah, as I say it's a theatre I know next to nothing about so I'm not sure what aircraft were most used on either side or could form the basis of a release, but with versions of the Ju-52, Stuka, He-111, Bf-109 and I-16 already available in BoX, some of the assets are already there to work on.

If we keep seeing 109s added to the sim because it takes less time to build them off existing versions, then working backwards from existing models should be possible too and a set like this should be possible with less effort than designing a new theatre from scratch.

lol just play rise of flight.....

I am betting you are not a VR user.

• Upvote 3

Sure would be nice to see an entire merger of the two. Not necessarily discontinue either of the two, just make them both use the same launcher from now on. Wishful thinking, but I feel this company deserves to have all their work in one big game. So far the only thing close to IL-2 BoX standards is RoF. And that could possibly open the door to aircraft between WWI and WWII.

That would be the reasonable path, but at this point it is not that simple.  The FM, DM, and AI have progressed in BoX.  If you pulled in the RoF planes all of those aspects would have to be redone to work with the BoX engine.  It would be a significant effort and the ROI probably is not there.  I would love to be wrong as I am definitely a WWI guy at heart.

• Upvote 1

I also loved RoF, but like many of you guys I also no longer play it because of the lack of VR - I would be so awesome!

• Upvote 1

I would be so awesome!

Not as awesome as me!  :P  :fly:

Seriously though, I would pay for all my RoF stuff again, just to have it in VR. 

• Upvote 1

I too believe that RoF needs some love...

I just recently got back into it and finally got one of my friends to try it and they really enjoy the pure skill of stick and rudder...

A merger of the games would make an ultimate campaign..

First world War, then post war (civilian mail/supply runs, test flights with advancing aircraft tech, training in the 30's, then veteran pilot in the second world War...

Good God what have I done...?

Ya so rise of flight needs love...

Agree. WW1 would be perfect for Vr. No canopy, close range and slower speed are aspects  that would all truly benefit from VR.

Hope this dream will come true someday....

• Upvote 2

I'd love to fly the D7 or Se-5a again...or the Albatross.

I spent quite a bit of time setting up 16x16 furballs - often flying the Fokker D8 since it was the first balsa kit I built as a kid.

Too many WW2 aircraft are more important at this point, and with the move to the Pacific, and the absolute need for many, accurate, and time consuming to make ship models, I see no chance for the old kites showing up in this sim, ever.

There was expressed desire in the BoK announcement to re-release RoF in the new engine, so there's that. Maybe one day.

ROF:

We also still love ROF and I hope at some point we can bring ROF to the new engine and re-release it as a new title with some more planes. I just don't have a way to do that yet and can't make any sort of promise. ROF players will probably be mad at me, but ROF is still an AMAZING sim and in some ways is still better than the current IL-2. I'll keep trying.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25070-discussion-battle-kuban-announcement/