NETSCAPE

What is your favorite WW2 aircraft...

Considering how closely in time both the DC-3 and Ju-52 were designed and first flown, its obvious how much more modern the DC-3 looks in comparison. They look to be from different eras. Then again, maybe they were based on how fast aviation technology advanced in the 1930s.

Ju 52/3m was an evolution of an existing design, with variants such as the Ju 52/1m, Ju 46, W.34, W.33 and so forth all the way back to the F.13. The Junkers F.13 first flew in 1919.

Meanwhile the DC-3 descended from the DC-2 which was from the DC-1... which first flew in 1933.

Thus, although the Ju 52/3m and DC-3 themselves were contemporary, they were each part of design-lines which most definitely were not.

The pencil definitely is charming, Archie :)

Back when I was a young boy of 8-9 years and was starting to get into WW2 aviation I fell in love with the Do-17 based on a beautiful drawing of it in a book about aviation I had (which basically boiled the entire war down to a story about the Battle of Britain) I pretty much knew nothing about the subject at this point.

A while later I begged my mom to buy me a scale model kit of the Dornier and picked a kit at the toy store, which I was sure was it. It turned out that it was a Ju88, which I didn't know because for some reason it was not in my book. I was more than just a little disappointed to open the box and see, that it didn't have those beautiful semi-circular wingtips, twin tail or long, slender fuselage. I still built the kit, but in my mind I wrote off the Ju88 as an obscure, ugly aircraft - the retarded cousin of the magnificent Do17, and that image stuck with me, even after I learned just how hugely important the Ju88 was.

Edited by Finkeren

Guest deleted@30725

I love most of the planes posted, but I think I'd choose a mustang.

aircraft-warbird-51-mustang-photos.jpg

It so clearly has to be the Spitfire PR. mkXI that it's almost not worth pointing it out...

post-129699-0-52199500-1507763251_thumb.jpg post-129699-0-26848100-1507763465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Royal_Flight

Always liked the FW190 A series.  Compact and purposeful.  Somehow stubby and sleek at the same time.  It really looked the part.

On the American side my favorites are the P51, P38, and F4u.

Who doesn't like a Spitfire?

I like the Oscar for Japan.  

Even though the 190A is my favorite, I definitely do not like the looks of the 190D series.  The elongated fuselage and stubby wings just look odd.

Even though the 190A is my favorite, I definitely do not like the looks of the 190D series. The elongated fuselage and stubby wings just look odd.

Completely agree. I very much prefer the look of the Anton over the Dora for the same reason.

Fw 190-A8 for me.

All the bulges just make it look more muscular and powerful.

Just an overall menacing look.

Focke-Wulf A series...What's sexier than that big ol' radial?

Klaus-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Even though the 190A is my favorite, I definitely do not like the looks of the 190D series. The elongated fuselage and stubby wings just look odd.

Blasphemer!! ;)

The beauty of the Spitfire makes it my favourite.

However thanks to Where Eagles Dare, I absolutely love this

Ju52-31-Where-Eagles-Dare.jpg

• Upvote 2

As a Brit Im sorry to say FW190-D

you don't have to feel bad for being the only sensible person in your country ;) and you're welcome to visit Germany

• Upvote 1

Always liked the FW190 A series. Compact and purposeful. Somehow stubby and sleek at the same time. It really looked the part.

Couldn't agree more. And my favourites among the Antons are the shorter A3 and A4, for the above mentioned reason.

The FW190-D just looks like a badly-rolled spliff.

(The 190A is far nicer, as those chaps above say)

The Fw 190A is more the shape of an old school ganja chillum:

201510031359531470668812.jpg

In any case: I like to smoke them both ;)

Edited by Finkeren

...based ONLY on aesthetic? GO!

(include a picture please and be as specific as possible with the model and variant type!)

Only on aesthetics, eh? Okay then...

The Dornier Do 22 Kf maritime-recon/torpedo-bomber.

The parasol-wing, long fuselage and floats make it look light, fast, but still ruggedly cool.

post-71162-0-13865900-1507838653_thumb.jpg

Closely followed by the Ju 52/3m g5e W maritime transport.

The ultimate in classic iconic looks, but with floats! What's not to like?

post-71162-0-02194600-1507838661_thumb.jpg

To stop this post becoming too long, I had to shed the Heinkel He 115 B-2, Fiat RS.14, Dornier Do 26, Aichi E13A and so many others...  :-(

Always liked the FW190 A series.  Compact and purposeful.  Somehow stubby and sleek at the same time.  It really looked the part.

{...}

Who doesn't like a Spitfire?

I'll chip in to say that I agree with those who are preferring the 190A over the 190D. The "A" variant is definitely better looking.

Also... I don't like Spitfires.  Tubby belly, pointy tail, odd nose... bleh, horrible!

Whats that?

A Blackburn B-20 with retractable Floats. 

Gonna keep you guessing on the other though. (If you know, don't be a smartarse and wait 24h)

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

Your latest favorite aircraft looks interesting Klaus. Any further info on it's performance/engine?

Engine: Pratt and Whitney 1830 SC-G, but was given at 1065hp. 

This Engine Converion did not provide any Significant Performance Increase and was thus discontinued. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

The Bulldog of fighter-bombers. She's not the fastest or the most agile, but she's tough and doesn't quit.

p47-4549192.jpg

Engine: Pratt and Whitney 1830 SC-G, but was given at 1065hp.

This Engine Converion did not provide any Significant Performance Increase and was thus discontinued.

I see. Bulge on the cowling reminded me of the 190 cowl.

The Bulldog of fighter-bombers. She's not the fastest or the most agile, but she's tough and doesn't quit.

p47-4549192.jpg

What type is this?

General note... not all of us will know everyone's personal favourite. Please tell us what type / variant you are posting!

What is with the love for the 190-A. The D or TA is where it is at for sure.

Beauty is in eye of the beholder; or something like that. Anton all the way. 

The 190 A is the more traditional beauty, better proportions and all that.

The D is that other kind of beauty, the odd kind that manages to somehow spark a fire in you.

I see how people can fall for either of them.

What type is this?

General note... not all of us will know everyone's personal favourite. Please tell us what type / variant you are posting!

There were so many versions that it's hard to pinpoint it. It was at least a P-47D5 with the bubble canopy.

What is with the love for the 190-A. The D or TA is where it is at for sure.

Just opinion. 

The TA IMHO has better proportions than the D.  It is really the opposite of the A in almost every respect.  Long and rangy instead of compact.  High altitude performer rather than mid altitude performer.  Specialized rather than multi purpose.  

I get that the D was a generally better fighter than the A, but it's just ugly.  :)