Ken5421

The Hurricane....continued

Doubt.. If C version could deal with them nicely, E willll be even better

Mmmmmmm... no.

Luftcheese.  :popcorm: 

shreddedcheese.jpg?w=474

Just to clarify...what RAAF squadron flew Hurricanes in New Guinea?

None, Hurricane never saw action over New Guinea. It was used over Singapore, NEI (Java, Sumatra), Burma and India (including Ceylon).

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to keep banging on about the Hurricane and why we need that aircraft in the game. 

But the Hurricane 2D Tank Buster. Two x 40 mm cannons. Need I say anymore people?

Found a picture on Google with Russian markings

650 × 356 - massimotessitori.altervista.org 

Also some information on Wikipedia:

Hawker Hurricane - Wikipedia  

40mm Hurricane IID's were not used in combat in USSR.

All aircrafts were used hard in combat in North Afrika in 1942-43, were intended to scrap in may 1943 but were sold to USSR in august 1943.

246 iap got almost 45 Hurricanes with 40mm Vickers cannons. But quality of those aircrafts were so low (), that regiment never completed trainings (started october 1943), and in august 1944 was converted to Yak fighters.

Large article about unglorious fate of Hurricanes IID in USSR. In russian.

Hurricane II D in original camoflage, just before sending to USSR. June 1943.

post-1464-0-51081000-1507489409_thumb.jpg

Hurricane II D in USSR

post-1464-0-02315500-1507489411_thumb.jpg

February 1944, crash-landing durung training flight.

post-1464-0-82502100-1507489407_thumb.jpg

I think that the Hurricane would be a great addition to the BOM planeset. Seeing as it was used by many countries, it would open up even more opportunities for BOX. Winter war scenarios would be pretty cool. British pilots flew the Hurri in Russia as well.

Edited by CaptainDawson

None, Hurricane never saw action over New Guinea. It was used over Singapore, NEI (Java, Sumatra), Burma and India (including Ceylon).

Thanks for the confirmation. LuseKoftke threw me a curve. Got to stay on your toes with this crowd.  :salute:

That's a horrible poll. Do you want something new in the game or nothing at all?

Come on now...  :huh:  I think MOST people would have realised the no option is essentially saying, no I would rather the devs spent man hours developing something else in the sim and not "waste" them on an aircraft they think is redundant in the series.    When making the poll I made the question as clear as possible, and gave the broad "yes / no " answers to cover all potential reasons why someone would vote yes or no.   :blink:

I'm buying whatever they release, but as Feathered said there's a bunch of things I'd rather see before the Hurricane.

• Upvote 2

I voted with 'no' in that poll as I can't imagine what the Hurri could be good for in the current planeset(s). But I would gladly change my mind if the devs came out with the idea of a Finland or Murmansk extension or any other theatre where the Hurri was not overshadowed by more potent designs. 

I like variety, and currently I'm very content with the allied planeset where I have access to 7 different fighter designs. The axis fighter planeset is much less varied (109s, 190s, and the Macchi). If I wanted a Hurri, a Finnish one would attract me more than a Soviet one.

• Upvote 1

@Up

Look at my signature :P I don't know it they had hurracines there but since it was 1941-44 it would be nice early war-middle war-late war thing. Combing all the planes we have now, this could make devs add hurracine as russian premium and maybe curtiss hawk for finland :P I know they will go for pacific now but hope we weill go back to russia one day. I think Leningrad would be easy to make, it's russia so many planes already can be used, tanks and buildings are made. Really hope for it :P

• Upvote 1

While the hurry-cane has lots of character it belongs in an old folks home. I would rather see something that brings more to the fight. Maybe P-63,Tu-2, or La-7 ... I dunno something that isn't akin to a flying coffin.

von Luck

Edited by von-Luck

I voted with 'no' in that poll as I can't imagine what the Hurri could be good for in the current planeset(s). But I would gladly change my mind if the devs came out with the idea of a Finland or Murmansk extension or any other theatre where the Hurri was not overshadowed by more potent designs. 

I like variety, and currently I'm very content with the allied planeset where I have access to 7 different fighter designs. The axis fighter planeset is much less varied (109s, 190s, and the Macchi). If I wanted a Hurri, a Finnish one would attract me more than a Soviet one.

Why not both? If it's a similar (or the same) model of the aircraft there could easily be skins for each and the ability to fly it for either side.

I'd admit to being very disappointed if one of the iconic allied aircraft of the war wasn't flyable on the allied side.

Especially as, like the Spit and Kittyhawk, I'll only be flying it with roundels on, no stars.

Incidentally, did Soviet and Finnish Hurricanes ever see action against each other?

That's a horrible poll. Do you want something new in the game or nothing at all?

Would you like to not get punched in the junk?

Yes: 189

No: 31

While the hurry-cane has lots of character it belongs in an old folks home. I would rather see something that brings more to the fight. Maybe P-63,Tu-2, or La-7 ... I dunno something that isn't akin to a flying coffin.

von Luck

No offense but by extension of that logic the really old I-16 should be in the ambulance to hospital ( only joking - I realize it was used & shot down in far larger numbers than the Hurri..)

( Disclaimer: I am about to mention Cliffs of Dover & post a screenshot from same.By doing so I am NOT comparing the sims.I know many many people have & might do so again point out the shortcomings of that other flight sim,all of which I am all to aware of ,but...)

I have found that either version of the machine gun mounted Hurri in cloD to be very useful against all of the German bombers & Bf-110 , although like real RAfF pilots it can be a loooong chase to catch up with an 88 or 110 in a shallow dive. With some height even the 'porked' 109 Emil can be had esp in a turning fight. Even in the earlier Battle of Britain the Brits tried to use the plane against the Luftwaffe bombers & delegated the superior spitfire to the 109's , roles to which the fighters were suited.

Besides the Hurricane is a classic WW2 used on a variety of ( possibly future BoX) fronts.It looks good, flys well and is a very stable gun platform , I don't think it would in any way be a waste of the developers time.

post-393-0-29423200-1507736025_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

No offense but by extension of that logic the really old I-16 should be in the ambulance to hospital ( only joking - I realize it was used & shot down in far larger numbers than the Hurri..)

( Disclaimer: I am about to mention Cliffs of Dover & post a screenshot from same.By doing so I am NOT comparing the sims.I know many many people have & might do so again point out the shortcomings of that other flight sim,all of which I am all to aware of ,but...)

I have found that either version of the machine gun mounted Hurri in cloD to be very useful against all of the German bombers & Bf-110 , although like real RAfF pilots it can be a loooong chase to catch up with an 88 or 110 in a shallow dive. With some height even the 'porked' 109 Emil can be had esp in a turning fight. Even in the earlier Battle of Britain the Brits tried to use the plane against the Luftwaffe bombers & delegated the superior spitfire to the 109's , roles to which the fighters were suited.

Besides the Hurricane is a classic WW2 used on a variety of ( possibly future BoX) fronts.It looks good, flys well and is a very stable gun platform , I don't think it would in any way be a waste of the developers time.

And, as with the Emil, the 3D Model could be ported and adjusted to a Mk.II without tremendous difficulty. 

And, as with the Emil, the 3D Model could be ported and adjusted to a Mk.II without tremendous difficulty. 

I'm sorry, I may have been misunderstood, I didn't mean that the CloD Hurricane should be re- used or imported.I did think that the Hurricane should be re-modeled ( i.e. all new) at some future point, by the 777 crew that has given us arguably the BEST modeled sim aircraft so far.

Not sure why the forum is attributing this quote to me, my views on the Hurricane are the complete opposite.

As far as I'm aware, Jason mentioned at one point that there is a third-party Li-2 in the works and hopefully once it's here multiplayer mission designers will think of ways to include transports on both sides into servers. And that will be great.

Could an IAR 80 be an appropriate Axis counterpart? Or something a bit more leftfield like a Fiat G.50 or Fokker D.XXI, especially as both of those saw use by the Finns (did they ever fly against lend-lease Hurricanes?).

Plus, with a G.50 and Hurricane we have even more types that could fit a hypothetical expansion to the Mediterranean or Italian theatres... just thinking out loud here.

In fairness this is almost exactly what I think about the 109G-6 and La-5FN. More of the same, yet another variation on something we already have and that adds much less in terms of gameplay than any new types would. Not to mention the Soviet and German designs are well-enough represented already, but aircraft from other countries are thin enough on the ground.

I'd rather time and resources weren't put into them as in my view there are more pressing matters, either new or existing aircraft or fixing some of the extant issues in the game as it is.

But, I'm aware that the above is just my opinion and I've been really good about not mentioning until now, because if people want to get excited about the things they're getting then that's cool.

As a community we all benefit from anything they gets added, generally; even if it's not the thing we would have wanted or doesn't go quite the way we think it should.

I'm holding out for a Hurricane... and hopefully more like it to come. The Spitfire is a good start but it needs company.

I don't know why, but ever since they got included in the original Il-2, I've always loved the Finnish Air Force. Something about that group of planes from all around the world and the camo just made it oddly appealing. I always thought it would make a cool map/planeset addition to the Il-2 BoX line. Battle of Finland! Now with more water and snow!

• Upvote 2

The battle of France would be a fantastic future theater for BOX as for some reason it is always forgotten and never, to my knowledge, been portrayed in a flight sim, BOF...has a nice ring to it :)

We (ACG) fly a battle of france campaign in CLoD, so it's not like that it doesn't exist. Though, I would like it if they added french aircraft...

Posted (edited)

Old topic, I know. 

But it is a puzzle to me that the Hurricane never have been added. 

In Russia the Hawker Hurricane was the first Allied Lend-Lease aircraft to be delivered with a total of 2,952 Hurricanes eventually delivered, becoming the most numerous British aircraft in Russian service. 

Beside of that, it was used through the whole war, and in most theaters, by both sides, in many roles. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Loke
  • Upvote 5

WWII without a Hurricane would be historical fantasy, it could never have happened, it was used everywhere from the British Isles to the farthest place on earth and yet we do not have it available in what is the best of all current WWII flight simulators.:huh:

Come on Jason, you know it makes all kind of sense for all kind of reasons.

GIVE US THE HURRICANE, please.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

The Hurricane also had a really strong airframe, it could really taking a thrashing. Would be interesting to see how the design gets modeled in terms of damage.

Posted (edited)
On 10/8/2017 at 8:11 AM, JtD said:

Don't forget there was a public poll, Hurricane or P-40. P-40 won, that's why we've got it. For the Hurricane it might be a reason for the why not.

Too bad. Mistake in my opinion. voting for the p40 because it is American instead of voting for the better aircraft and the one that had more examples sent to Russia. 

Edited by SShrike

On 10/8/2017 at 3:05 AM, =ARTOA=Bombenleger said:

The hurricane is an absolute abomination, every time I see a picture of it I regret it.
I dont mind them putting it into the game, as long as they dont use time and ressources on it that could be spent on anything else.

The Russians called it the "hunchback". I can see why but I still love it. The Ju 87 is ugly but a sharp and dangerous kind of ugly. The Hurricane that is at the Vintage wings museum is the first warbird I ever saw personally when it was being restored while it was privately owned. I loved it ever since. 

3 hours ago, Missionbug said:

WWII without a Hurricane would be historical fantasy, it could never have happened, it was used everywhere from the British Isles to the farthest place on earth and yet we do not have it available in what is the best of all current WWII flight simulators.:huh:

Come on Jason, you know it makes all kind of sense for all kind of reasons.

GIVE US THE HURRICANE, please.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

If I had to bet one way or the other, I'd put money on it being created at some point down the road.

Likely after some of the higher demand types like late Yaks, La-7.  Just a guess.

There's a country song there waiting to happen.

"Whiskey bent and Hurricane bound"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

:cool:      Have two more Whiskeys  and say yes     

Edited by Magnum11
  • Upvote 1

Well Jason, if it comes as a collector plane, I'm sure it would be one of those that will sell the best. 

So go ahead and take two more whiskeys, and earn an ekstra Dime at the end of the day 😉

• Upvote 1

You need more whisky! Then we'll get our Hurri. Perhaps if we had a whip round for a cask of Lagg Whisky - yes, honest, Lagg whisky from Arran. https://www.arranwhisky.com/our-distillery/buy-a-whisky-cask. Plus it'll be much nicer than any bourbon or rye whiskey :blink:.

;) Just kidding, before the arguments start! I do prefer a nice single malt Scotch above all else though...

Cheers. :drink2:

12 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

Old topic, I know. 

But it is a puzzle to me that the Hurricane never have been added. 

Yes, the Hurricane is sorely needed... Another absolute ''must have'' is the I-153, it's got to come at some stage.,, You can't have an eastern front sim without it!

• Upvote 1

Gimme the Hurribus!! Would preorder today 😄

Is it only me who finds it oddly beautiful?