Photo

I just lost briefings for 6 missions.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NETSCAPE

NETSCAPE

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:57

Granted this was the bare-bones briefing stuff and not story time/novel, but still the mission details require work and time...

On mission 6 the editor crashed. In turn I lost all briefing text except for the first line of text. It also cleared the author field and deleted my name. This scares me...

Anyways I guess I'll use the editor for map reference and type the briefings out in note or wordpad, then paste in the editor, then save mission, THEN CLOSE THE EDITOR, repeat. 

Lesson learned...

"Sirens of Death" - my single player campaign for the Ju 87 D-3: https://forum.il2stu...ver-stalingrad/

#2 NETSCAPE

NETSCAPE

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:17

Ok apparently this had nothing to do with the crash. The briefings just aren't saving. When I reopen the mission in the editor it only includes the first line of text. 

"Sirens of Death" - my single player campaign for the Ju 87 D-3: https://forum.il2stu...ver-stalingrad/

#3 JimTM

JimTM
  • Founder

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:55

Make sure that their are no line breaks in the text that you type into the mission description box. All text after a line break is deleted. You need to use html tags to format the briefing text. This procedure shows one way to make writing mission briefings easier.

Edited by JimTM, 06 October 2017 - 12:56.

#4 NETSCAPE

NETSCAPE

Posted 06 October 2017 - 13:06

Make sure that their are no line breaks in the text that you type into the mission description box. All text after a line break is deleted. You need to use html tags to format the briefing text. This procedure shows one way to make writing mission briefings easier.

Ok Jim, I used to build websites for people when I was a kid back in the GOOD OLD days (1999?) *kernal32.dll intensifies*, so I am basic html fluent hahaha. BUT there was a (non html) line break in my original "new mission briefing format" text file that I pasted in the briefing dialog box! 

I'll try 'er out in a bit, but I bet it will work.  

I must have wrote all the briefing stuff for the most part within the editor itself on my previous campaign and the bits I wrote out in notepad and pasted in were large chunks of text with no breaks... This makes sense now.

#5 NETSCAPE

NETSCAPE

Posted 06 October 2017 - 13:14

And I just looked at those sites you mention in that thread. Honestly I'll just type it out. Keeping it simple helps me. Plus I don't want to rely on it. I have trust issues. lol. 

#6 OrLoK

OrLoK
  • Tester

Posted 06 October 2017 - 13:38

Type it out into a txt doc first so you can back it up then cut and paste it to the evil editor of doom.

4575CUc.png
eQN8RxU.png
vjG06Kx.png

#7 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 06 October 2017 - 19:22

That's scary Netsy.
I always save a "safety" copy of each mission as I work and make additions/changes. Basically any time I do something that will piss me off if I lose.

So currently my campaign build folder looks like this:

A-20_1
A-20_Safety
A-20_2
A-20_2_Safety

etc
I've experienced a corrupted/un-openable mission after a botched save - hard lesson learned.

#8 NETSCAPE

NETSCAPE

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:33

Yeah I back up all my IL-2 and Music work on the newest of my 3 hard drives. At the same time I upload it somewhere just in case my house burns down or something.

But that doesn't really mitigate the risk you're talking about... I'd just eventually end up with a corrupted backup lol.

#9 Habu

Habu
  • Tester

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:08

Your problem is link because you are using notepad, or a text editor as most of us we do (i hope that one day, dev improve the briefing area). Even if you write your text witout return line, notepad add some which invisible. Then, when you past your text, all your text seem to be good, as it is displayed at the right place. But when you reload the mission, only the first line is displayed, all the other word was deleted.

For information, sometimes, the breifing can be copy at the place of the mission name.

I found a sollution. It's writing my text in notepad, then copy it in notepad++, and reformat my text on one line (deleting the invisible return line). Then i select my text and copy/past in the editor.

For security, i always keep the text of my briefing, untill i finalise the mission.

#10 NETSCAPE

NETSCAPE

Posted 07 October 2017 - 13:21

All briefing data was entered today for 15 missions.  :salute:

#11 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 13:43

I use Notepad++ with HTML language turned on. You can also hit "run on chrome" to see the final design.

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#12 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 12 October 2017 - 15:03

I'm going to try this notepad ++ thing - thanks Habu and Monkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users