Sign in to follow this  
moosya

in game voip

just wanted to thank the devs for everything they're doing, it's an incredible game that I spend more and more time playing..

Now, as far technicals: is it ever going to have an in-game VoiP ?

TS and Discord are fine if you're in a team and part of a pre-arranged meet, missions, etc. Unfortunately everyone's schedule is different. It'd be so nice to just jump in to a server and start chatting away with whomever is there.....

sigh..

I don't think it will ever happen, and honestly I don't think the DServer needs to deal with handling voice comms- it has a hard enough time as it is. Also there's the fact that many groups use TS across more than one sim.

To achieve what you're looking for, though, you can just jump on the official teamspeak and often find people just playing on Wings or something, without any schedule. And on that note, I can't imagine what team comms would sound like on WoL... given the crap said in chat there, that sounds awful.

Anyway, just the other day you rammed me and crashed but my plane was fine and you called BS in chat. Later when I looked at the track I saw it was in fact some laggy BS, we both should have crashed (or, you shouldn't have rammed me  ;) ). I went to tell you that but you had left the server... So given how laggy things can already be, as in that example, do you really want the DServer to deal with voice traffic too? 

lol, wow, I recall that.. i'm slowly becoming infamous for my in-chat expletives (my apologies). I'm working on that, trust me!

In other games I've seen one can enable only the certain players to be heard by either clicking on the voice icons or by grouping in to a squad.

I do agree that with people constantly joining/leaving this could become an issue, but a person not interested in it could just shut it off completely or again enable it selectively...

Edit: 

What I'm trying to say is that right now with TS or Discord there are 2 extremes:

- either you have to be a member of a team (that is super retentive about its own rules, admission, etc.. it almost feels like a job joining one)

- or you end up asking 20 times in chat if anyone's playing somewhere, wait for a reply for 5 minutes, ask again, and in the end just leave out of frustration.

there's nothing in between for VoIP organization in Il2.

I don't think it will ever happen, and honestly I don't think the DServer needs to deal with handling voice comms- it has a hard enough time as it is. Also there's the fact that many groups use TS across more than one sim.

To achieve what you're looking for, though, you can just jump on the official teamspeak and often find people just playing on Wings or something, without any schedule. And on that note, I can't imagine what team comms would sound like on WoL... given the crap said in chat there, that sounds awful.

Anyway, just the other day you rammed me and crashed but my plane was fine and you called BS in chat. Later when I looked at the track I saw it was in fact some laggy BS, we both should have crashed (or, you shouldn't have rammed me  ;) ). I went to tell you that but you had left the server... So given how laggy things can already be, as in that example, do you really want the DServer to deal with voice traffic too? 

Edited by peachmonkey

Haha don't worry about it, it was definitely some laggy shenanigans. But yeah there are solutions to most complaints like muting people and stuff, the main thing is just the bandwidth I think. More of a problem for this game because our servers are hosted on user hardware, sometimes in people's houses, etc as opposed to just renting servers from the game like you can do for big games e.g. Battlefield.

To solve your underlying problem I would encourage you to just join people on the official teamspeak. Not exactly like in game voip, but the community is so small you'll get to know the folks in your timezone which is kinda cool.

What makes me think that ingame voice would be cool would be implementing radio range limitations. Planes that featured upgraded radios like a 109G4 would become more desirable depending on the scenario due to increased range.

Other games pull off ingame voice communications well. An example in VR is Onward where voice communications are essential. Proximity voice works really well.

The community in my Timezone seems mature enough with voice comms in Teamspeak. Its very rare you need to move to another channel due to misbehavior.

Edited by =TBAS=Tripwire

just wanted to start a similar thread, but since its here ill go on here:

take a look at the Militarysim    -Squad-  and its VoiP system,   it is not 100% perfect (mostly by languageproblems or missing mics) but its working very good, youre split into squads and you cant talk inside that squad, the squadleader can talk to the other squadleaders and suddenly 40 people pulling the same rope 

could work here the same way, join the server, join a flightgroup/wing/squad whatever you wanna call it, one that feels able to will lead the group and can do tactics with the other groups , maybe combined with different markers on the map to be seen by the whole team (ofc only to be done by the lead to prevent chaos)  

and maybe with a local radio so you can talk to all teammates inside visual range

Edited by MuschiBlitz

Squad is a fantastic example of in game VOIP done right, it absolutely makes that sim. Would be great to see Box with a similar arrangement.