Sign in to follow this  
smink1701

Pilot Animation

Would it be possible to have the pilot's arm open / close the canopy instead of the current version without him moving?

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see more pilot animations. The pilot wiping his nose animation they have right now looks so cool.

Yes it would be something unseen, put into this game. It would make it even greater

I think the current animation is just borrowed from ROF: the gesture of the pilot wiping his goggles is kinda silly for an enclosed cockpit, but I agree that seeing animations makes it more real. I'm sure this is something that will be tweaked in the future.

It also looks kinda unrealistic when the plane is taxiing and you can hear the engine permanently throttling up and down while the pilot wiping his goggles. It's an uber-pilot with a third hand...    ;)

No drama, but would be nice if improved in the future....

• Upvote 1

No drama, but would be nice if improved in the future....

Agreed. It's not that important, but it would be nice to see.

In RoF we have many hand gestures that can be assigned to buttons. You can give thumbs up, wave in different directions and all that. I love this part, I think it adds to the immersion. In a WWII sim hand gestures are not that much needed but these movements are always welcome. 

In RoF we have many hand gestures that can be assigned to buttons. You can give thumbs up, wave in different directions and all that. I love this part, I think it adds to the immersion. In a WWII sim hand gestures are not that much needed but these movements are always welcome. 

I'm talking only about the unexpected gestures, which should not be disabled, just a bit optimized. If the left hand just uses the throttle, the pilot shouldn't be able to wipe his goggles.

But the gestures controlled by the pilot should be included. I agree with you, they are or at least can be very immersive, particular in a movie made from the  gameplay. I already see pilots salute the the pilot next to them, before they bank away!  :salute:

Edited by StG2_Manfred

Italians made great use of hand gestures, since reliable radios weren't used until the later stages of the war.

It's also useful if you want to maintain radio silence.

Edited by Sternjaeger
  • Upvote 1

Italians made great use of hand gestures, since reliable radios weren't used until the later stages of the war.

It's also useful if you want to maintain radio silence.

LOL most all my Italian friends make great use of hand gestures every time they speak. Hold their hands down and they would have trouble speaking at all. :)

• Upvote 2

LOL most all my Italian friends make great use of hand gestures every time they speak. Hold their hands down and they would have trouble speaking at all. :)

lol yeah I was gonna say that we still do that a lot, I suppose it's part of the heritage  ;)

• Upvote 1

Once I saw a sort of vocabulary for English people with our gestures and their meanings. Very funny!

Returning on topic: early in the war, many Russian planes had no radio. Another good reason to implement gestures.

What I would like to see is realistic pilot head turn animations. Both internal and external. For external - if you check your six - the pilot would turn his head to check the six. Right now it kind of works, but the pilot will only turn 30 degrees or so for a full 180 check. And internally in cockpit - there needs to be some neck physics :) If you turn 180, it's like you swivel on an axis. I think even the old IL-2 had this modeled (with TD patches?),

Hey guys,

i would love to see your suggestions being realized later on in the game.

I've read about some features of BOS in this thread. Sounds really great, but i was pretty sad to hear, that they aren't planning to implement the possibility to walk on the ground with the pilot model. Of course BOS is, should be and also stay a simulation focused at least 99,9% on the flying and simulation part. But i find it would be a dramatic addition to metagaming if the game would offer some simple features, especially in multiplayer gameplay, if we could walk around with our pilot model and see each other. Just imagine the amount of intensity added, if you could actually "shake hands" with the other pilots, walk to and get in "your" plane (available on the selected airfield), "feeling" the animation and "believing" you just took control, aswell as getting out of your plane after landing and a hopefully successful mission.

I definitely think this is a quite complicated feature to achieve from the developers point of view (traffic, animations, much room for bugs, etc etc). But perhaps a thing to consider for future updates. What do you think?

From that point on it would take a few baby steps to further implement some simple additions such as a sort of building per airfield which is accessible and could be used as preflight briefing and debriefing using a blackboard to draw on and perhaps a static map of the mission map.

In my opinion this addon would provide a great addition to credibility of "being" that pilot and acting in a "living" world.

I've decided to post this here to discuss it with you... so please don't chop my head off :)

For me, walking around an aircraft would add nothing to the game. I play flight simulators to fly airplanes, not to take a stroll on the ground or to shake hands with pixel pilots.

Edited by LukeFF

For me, walking around an aircraft would add nothing to the game. I play flight simulators to fly airplanes, not to take a stroll on the ground or to shake hands with pixel pilots.

Have to agree with that.

I'd like to be able to eat pilot food between flights too.

At a later stage of the battle, you have to eat your downed wingman due to food shortage.

Inflight you could have those trays like on airliners... and when you barrel roll food flies everywhere... just like in enviro bear 2000.

Edited by Boussourir

Not that add something in gameplay ... but for moviemakers, notice how many good movies are done using the running for cover of il-2(original) pilot after bail.

Sokol1

After I land I view my plane to check for damage. I don't need or necessarily want a pilot body for that, just the external camera view we already have for that.

I'd just like it as an option on full real MP servers, limited to when we're on the ground and alive.

Charlo

I would rather be able to see my body in the cockpit in 1st person than have more realistic third person behaviour.  I mean let's face it, the only time anyone will see your gestures is when you and your wingman are playing rock paper scissors while flying to your target, haha.

Like if your pilot is shot, you can see him bleeding and struggling to control the plane or whatever.  Feel like that would make flying much more intense, you know?

• Upvote 1

About hand gestures,I really have to ask this: How did the pilots had the attention from their squadmates when they had to communicate with them? I don't suppose they yelled,right?

No, they shot flares then made the hand gesture. ;)

LukeFF, on 18 Mar 2014 - 21:50, said:snapback.png

Have to agree with that.         

------------------------

Me  too... 

Also, I'd love to see about 10 different variations of bailing from a first person view as aaplicable to how the plane is oriented when you go...  The spinning and violence of it all as you exit a damaged aircraft...  As far as seeing "my" own pixel hands in the cockpit, it does nothing for me except ruin the suspension of disbelief...  My mind has an easier time filling in the gaps to know my hand is touching the controls...  I suspect people who like to see a pixel hand fly with an unrealistic zoom way back...  When you sit in the cockpit of a WWII fighter, and are looking forward, the stick is not in your primary view... the instruments are.

Anyway in dcs you can activate the body of the pilot yet most people don't seem to fly with it. It blocks view to certain buttons sometimes.

I see a nice animation on the Pe-2. Pilot move legs and flight stick when you moved. You can see this clearly fron outside looking to the cockpit.

I had to said that pilot in first person is little problematic, interfiering view of some instruments maybe. I agree with who mentioned before.