71st_AH_Mastiff

VKB Gunfighter + MCG Pre-Ordering starts October 1, 2017

I've received my Gunfighter Pro MGC Pro (it arrived on the 4th) and mounted it to a Monster Tech desk mount tonight as I have only just got back from some holidays.

So far I am pretty impressed. Going to try up the springs soon as I find running 1x 50 spring on each axis is almost still too soft, just gotta check on the VKB forums that it is ok to up the spring levels.

Its going to take some getting used to though. So much muscle memory using the same desktop stick (without extension) since the original IL2 is going to take some undoing.

Managed 3 kills on my first sortie online on WOL, but I missed way more shots than I would have with my old stick. Need to spend more time mapping buttons out. I have more buttons on the stick than I know what to do with.

My MCG non-pro also left Singapore on saturday. I wasn't expecting it to ship from Asia...  so it'll take a while... :unsure: They also shipped it DHL so now I'm almost guaranteed to have to pay duties (Fedex and UPS sometimes get through Canada customs without charges). 

The thing I'm scared of having watched that review (which I could barely hear) was that all the hats on the MCG appear to be slew/POV sticks and I know IL2 doesn't allow most plane functions, including trimmers to be bound to axis'; only buttons, at least on my X55...

The 109's stabilizer is the only one that can be bound to an axis with my setup.

@=TBAS=Tripwire any input on this seeing as you have the stick now?

Edited by GridiroN

Only two hats are ministicks, the rest are normal hats. And even the mini sticks can be bound as button pushes. Should be no problem in BoS.

I ordered the Gunfighter with MCG Pro on Wednesday, curious how long i'll have to wait (ordered directly at VKB in China).

I'm more worried about some issues that have shown up on the VKB forums already. One is that the connector is not really firmly attached to the stick itself and might wiggle. There was a very similar issue with the Warthog adapter, so i guess VKB didn't learn. Should be no issue to fix that again though. The other one is that the board that's holding the dual stage trigger might become lose. Haven't seen any photos yet, but if that's really a weak spot, then that should be much harder to fix.

Edited by Matt

Thanks guys. 

Are the loose boards and what not specific issues, or is that defect being reported by multiple users? 

Also, it looks like this stick is fairly heavy. I'm currently using the KG12 grip with my Gunfighter set to 10g centre detents (hard centres) with 20g springs, and medium dampening. Looks like I might have to do some tweaking to keep it centred. Can't stand flying in IL2 without knowing where the level flight is. 

I've received my Gunfighter Pro MGC Pro (it arrived on the 4th) and mounted it to a Monster Tech desk mount tonight as I have only just got back from some holidays.

So far I am pretty impressed. Going to try up the springs soon as I find running 1x 50 spring on each axis is almost still too soft, just gotta check on the VKB forums that it is ok to up the spring levels.

Just curious, is that with the Gunfighter extension?

And if so, which Monster Tech deskmount? I am thinking the Gunfighter may require the longer one they have? I have a standard Monster Tech mount but concerned it would be too short for a Gunfighter setup with extension?

They have the regular mount that is 22CM long and the extended one for sticks that use extensions that is 40CM long.

Just curious, is that with the Gunfighter extension?

And if so, which Monster Tech deskmount? I am thinking the Gunfighter may require the longer one they have? I have a standard Monster Tech mount but concerned it would be too short for a Gunfighter setup with extension?

Gunfighter extension, and the extended mount from Monstertech.

I would think the standard mount may be too short for the extension, but that would depend on your chair and desk height.

Thanks guys.

Are the loose boards and what not specific issues, or is that defect being reported by multiple users?

A number of people have reported it. I'm unaffected thus far.

Edited by =TBAS=Tripwire

Gunfighter extension, and the extended mount from Monstertech.

I would think the standard mount may be too short for the extension, but that would depend on your chair and desk height.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. 

I also have the Monster-Tech standard table mount and i have not ordered the mounting plate yet, because i'm also worried that it might not fit even without the extension, because the stick is pretty fat. I'll contact Monster Tech and ask them if they can make a new fitting plate, if it really doesn't fit. If anybody has the measurements of the mounting plate for the gunfighter, that would be very helpful (i basically just need the lenght of the plate).

ETA for my MCG is the wednesday. That would actually only be one week from ordering in China, but i'm expecting some delays due to custom stuff.

Edited by Matt

Yes of course, i mean the measurements of the Monstertech plate for the Gunfighter. Because looking at my Monstertech mount and the image of the Monstertech plate for the Gunfighter, i think the stick or the folding trigger when folded up, will hit the vertical mount when pushed forward. It might be possible to mount the plate further back to fix that, but i think that might still be a tight fit and it would require a longer aluminium bar at the bottom to get extra range or instead a longer mounting plate made by Monstertech. The plate was not made with the MCG grip in mind.

But i'll try to simulate this when the stick arrives.

Well I have a new Monster Tech Gunfighter plate I have yet to use around here somewhere, having trouble finding it ugh. If I run across it tomorrow will let you know.

• Upvote 1

Gunfighter mounting plate is 200mm long

You will need >80mm of clearance from the vertical shaft of the Monstertech mount to the center of the horizontal base mounting plate screws to not smack the MCG with extension against the mount if you had it set low enough.

The length of the horizontal base plate for my Monstertech is 160mm so i have the gunfighter mounting plate screwed in half way along.

80mm is as close as you can physically mount the stick to the mount due to how the stick bolts into the gunfighter mounting plate.

Base of the stick to the very top with extension is 475mm

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much. 

My stick was actually going to arrive today, unfortunately i was not home. Will then get it tomorrow. But that's really quick with just 6 days after ordering. It's also good that you can order with DHL express there. It's a bit more expensive, but atleast i don't have to go to the custom office and can instead pay VAT to the delivery guy instead. And it's still less expensive than ordering at FSC.

Monstetech long deskmout with Gunfighter + KG12 grip:

monstertech_desk_mount_gunfighter_pro.jp

Looks like that horizontal rail has good space for adjust plate position.

Edited by Sokol1

The horizontal rail is shorter on the normal mount, but i just checked and it just fits. The delivery guy decided to give it another try today, so i still got the stick today. Very impressed so far and my stick doesn't suffer from the issues mention before. Maybe they paid some more attention based on the issues reported thus far.

Will spend some time to set it up for BoX, but i'm pretty happy for now.

Edited by Matt

The horizontal rail is shorter on the normal mount, but i just checked and it just fits. The delivery guy decided to give it another try today, so i still got the stick today. Very impressed so far and my stick doesn't suffer from the issues mention before. Maybe they paid some more attention based on the issues reported thus far.

Will spend some time to set it up for BoX, but i'm pretty happy for now.

:good:

Glad you got it , let us know how you like it whilst flying.

I found my Gunfighter plate for my Monster Tech Mount, but going to need to get the long mount I think. I can use this one for my Warthog throttle, but will need to order the plate for it.

I am getting tempted on this MCG Pro now, will wait and read some more impressions. Sounds like the firmware can be a bit of a chore.

Edited by dburne

I've received my Gunfighter Pro MGC Pro (it arrived on the 4th) and mounted it to a Monster Tech desk mount tonight as I have only just got back from some holidays. So far I am pretty impressed. Going to try up the springs soon as I find running 1x 50 spring on each axis is almost still too soft, just gotta check on the VKB forums that it is ok to up the spring levels.

I found that if you double up on the VKB Gunfighter Pro springs, the stick with 20cm extension returns to center every time.  Haven't received my MGC Pro yet, been shipped apparently. My spring setup is as follows;

Y axis #40 + #30 springs

X axis #40 +# 20 springs

I found that if you double up on the VKB Gunfighter Pro springs, the stick with 20cm extension returns to center every time. Haven't received my MGC Pro yet, been shipped apparently. My spring setup is as follows;

Y axis #40 + #30 springs

X axis #40 +# 20 springs

Thanks.

I posted asking for safe spring levels on the VKB forums and got no official response after a few days. Someone else has asked the same question as well afterwards.

Did you swap out the Cams? Or still running the original?

I wanted to get more flight time rather than pulling everything apart again. Gunnery is taking some time to adjust. Snap shots are harder as I am not yet used to the extra amount you move the stick with the extension. Starting to get better with it though.

I thought the VKB Gunfighter Pro with extension shipped with #50 springs? Or am I mistaken there?

Edited by dburne

Did you swap out the Cams? Or still running the original?

Still using the original cam, one with no center detent.

That is somewhat disturbing...

It is disturbing, but I haven't had the same issue with mine and I've had the dual spring setup in place since September.  Once my MGC Pro arrives, I'll pull it apart and check on it, not going to lose any sleep over what may or may not happen.

Would a shorter extension (10cm) not be better than the 20cm one? Will it not reduce stress on the internal components of the gimbal?

Probably. There isn't an option for a shorter extension though.

Looking at the failure it could just be due to poor quality steel in the bolt?

Looking at the failure it could just be due to poor quality steel in the bolt?

That's what I'm guessing. I've installed two #40 springs on each cam in mine and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary yet. 

How this case ended? Gimbal is not ready for two strong springs?  What VKB says about safe spring config?

Would a shorter extension (10cm) not be better than the 20cm one? Will it not reduce stress on the internal components of the gimbal?

I was using 7cm extension with kg12 on desktop but it was very unergonomic/uncorfortable. Extension was made form MFD and electronics pluged off from 20cm extension in McGyver style. (Inside the 20cm extension there was some PCB and connectors, so you can go back to 20cm tube. Extracting the connector with two scews is dangerous moment. There is some strong glueing and You must be careful to the wires).

My conclusion with 7cm extension is that...You must have lower mount (the hand was too high). To be honest You will need TWO lower mounts. One for stick and one for throttle. With one mount

the throttle is just too far away and reaching is uncorfortable. You can allways use stool to mount the throttle but my stool was flipping around... and...IMO it's a nerdy looking steup, so I go back  to standard dektop with no extension.

As for the bending/breaking gimbal. I think the bolt holding the bearing is just too thin. It's strange that VKB put such weak part uder constant pressure of strong springs but

I'm not an engineer it's just my speculations and we must wait for VKB statement regarding the safe spring levels.

Edited by Piekarz

Did you stick with the original cam too?

Does it return to center with #80 worth of springs?

Yes, I have the original cams installed, and yep, it will return to center (and that's with the clutches tightened fairly tight, too).

Is that an aluminum bolt? Would explain what happened. Is the sensor or are the magnets nearby?

If that's the case, we may have got a critical design error that cannot easily get fixed by just putting any other bolt in there?

Thing is that VKB 20cm extension was made for Warthog grip (in Mambas days), are more length to have this "S" for minimize this grip tendency to tilt front due their heavy (~1KG) weight.

In IL2.ru VKB topic are mention for a KIT of extension ends and wires only for users make their own extension - just adding the desired tube length, in VKB extension no machine in tube is needed (like in Warthog/VPC extension).

But is that old story, seems VKB have more on hands than can carry.  :lol:

But since in VKB extension the ends are attached to tube be two bolts on side, is easy replace that tube for a short one, will require un-solder/ solder wires (3) in one extension end.

Edited by Sokol1

The question that needs to be asked is how many instances of the bolt breaking or bending have occurred?  I only see 2 instances on the VKB forum, not to say there isn't more, but I would suspect that if this was a major issue there would be significant howls of displeasure over at VKB.  As with any manufacturing process there are always a "couple" of defects that slip through the quality control process.

Well, I just got my MCG in. Keen to review this stick, though I can't get the 2 ministick axis, or brake lever working...The default profile came without those bindings...

I'm going to try to get a review of this up as soon as possible. 

Spend a couple of hours now with the stick in BoX only (no time for other stuff), so some comments:

Gunfighter:

I upgraded from the Gladiator Pro. I can't really feel a difference between the gimbal of the Gunfighter and Gladiator Pro, apart from the clutches (which i'm currently not using). So unless you need the clutches or want to use extensions or very strong springs (which i'm not doing), i think you'll do just fine with the Gladiator gimbal and there's basically no reason to upgrade.

MCG Pro:

Ergonomics are great and the adjustable handrest should make the stick fit every hand. The only button where i need to lift my hand of the handrest for, is the red button/pickle. But that's fine for me and i currently use it for bombs.

The left ministick is in a perfect position and very natural to use. I currently use it for pan view when i'm too lazy to start TrackIR and it works so well, that i wouldn't even buy TrackIR now, if i didn't have it yet. I think it's the best solution for pilot view apart from TrackIR or VR right now. Of course using it in DCS as slew control should work great as well.

The top mini stick works great as well. I tested the relative axis mode and put throttle on the vertical and RPM on the horizontal axis and even that works pretty naturally, which shows that it's also good for very fine adjustments. But i'll use it for trim in the future, which unfortunately means, that i have to use the button mode instead for most planes in BoX.

All push buttons and the trigger (though not the foldable trigger and not the hat switches) have a very audible click and clear tactile feedback. I'm not a bit fan of the loud click though, because i think it's mostly unnecessary, when you can feel the click so well. Also they actuate right away, unlike the Warthog buttons for instance which you have to push in a bit.

The hat switches are a little bit mushy and it's not always clear to me if i pushed them now and in which direction (especially the one on the right side of the stick, which you have to control with your index finger). But i think i'll get used to it.

The foldable trigger is a bit mushy and it has no fixed middle position when folded down. So when you flick it down, the distance you have to pull it to actually actuate can be different each time, but i already got used to it. Also it has basically no trigger reset. The trigger reset on the KG12 bothered me the most, so i'm very happy that the MCG doesn't have that, which makes snap shots and follow up shots very easy. I currently use the foldable trigger for machineguns, because i just like the feel of the foldable trigger. 

The dual stage trigger has a very crisp action and the first stage has only minimal trigger reset. The travel to seconds stage is very short, but distinct with barely any trigger reset at all. I actually don't have anything bound to the trigger though, i would probably use it as push to talk in MP.

The small button on the left of the grip works very naturally and can be used as a shift button just as well as a pinky button, if not better. I actuate it with my ring finger, but i read some people use the middle finger for that.

The brake lever works great, but i wish the range would be a bit wider. I haven't measured it, but i think it just rotates by around 10° max. It's still good enough for fine control when braking though. It wobbles a bit to left and right, but i barely notice it when using it.

So overall, if i would be nitpicking i would only have very few complaints:

1. Some wobble and lack of range for the brake lever

2. A bit too loud click on the buttons, especially the dual stage trigger

3. No distinct middle position on the foldable trigger when folded down

4. A bit mushy and indistinct action on the hat switches

But that's really nit picking and i'm very happy with the stick overall and i think it will be very hard to improve on this in the future. However, if you want to save some money, you should probably consider buying the non-Pro MCG grip. At least for BoX, the upgrade to the Pro might not really be worth it for you and actually with the imho mushy hat switches, having two way hat switches instead of 5 way could even make things easier.

Edited by Matt

But that's really nit picking and i'm very happy with the stick overall and i think it will be very hard to improve on this in the future. However, if you want to save some money, you should probably consider buying the non-Pro MCG grip. At least for BoX, the upgrade to the Pro might not really be worth it for you and actually with the imho mushy hat switches, having two way hat switches instead of 5 way could even make things easier.

Thanks for the detailed review!

I am still trying to make up my mind whether to get the MCG Pro or not, reviews definitely will help me in my decision.