sc0ch

landing the mig-3

The mig-3 is squirrely and a great underdog, but hard to land.  Can never claim victories without landing...

I've found that one can achieve good landings if:

1) you cruise in at 0% rpm, 50% mixture, flaps 30%, full open radiators, gear down.

2) you then use only throttle to adjust speed.

3) you ease to touchdown at 150-180 kph.

4) you increase throttle once under 100 kph to maintain rudder authority.

5) you stop with brakes and use rudder/throttle to avert ground loop. 

The engine clearly dislikes these settings, but it doesn't seem to cause permanent damage.  Always ease up to 100% rpm for a go around, slapping rpms around in the mig-3 will kill the engine instantly.

If anybody else has a good mig-3 landing guide, please share!

1) chop throttle

2) extend full flaps

3) landing gear

4) line up and side slip as needed to touch down below 200kph but above 150 kph

5) ground loop to impress the village babushkas

:)

• Upvote 1

yup, that's how i do as well, tho i rather impress the anushkas instead of their babushkas :D

3609643693ae0d33937d6fa96ce57dd0.jpg 

Nope, Miss Ryabova is not impressed :(

yup, that's how i do as well, tho i rather impress the anushkas instead of their babushkas :D

When you get older, babushkas is all you get anyways  :biggrin: 

Since the last update I feel that there is no longer any special "trick" to landing the MiG. It's still one of the harder planes to keep steady during rollout, but as long as you're paying attention, it's pretty straightforward, not like before were take offs were quite hard and landing without ground looping was friggin' rocket science.

Nothing wrong with this really, obviously the MiG wasn't some completely unique aircraft that needed to be handled differently from all others. It still requires your full attention, but as long as you give it that, it's pretty safe.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

leave RPM at 100% for landing - that goes for every plane.

the prop governor won't kick in during most of approach, since you'll likely have such low power that RPM falls below the governed range, and the blades are locked in their finest pitch - but you want it all the way open so you can get maximum rpms in case you gotta do a go-around (in WoL, that's VERY likely)

as for everything else you're doing, it seems fine.  your approach speeds are good, and you should be able to three-point it...  except that your RPM set to zero is working against you.

think of the propeller (aka: rpm) control as a speed limiter for your engine.  as you add power, the prop spins faster, until it reaches the speed that you've set. once that speed it reached, the governor will start pitching back the blades, so they bite more air and with the added resistance this gives, the prop slows down.  

the governor will continuously adjust pitch to maintain a maximum RPM, as long as there is enough power (throttle) to reach it, that is.

zero % rpm is almost never really used in flight.  in fact, the MiG is one of the rare birds that if you were to forget your RPM at 100% all day, it would not cause you any problems whatsoever

thus, approaching at zero % is most likely giving you too heavy a load on that propeller, even at very low throttles.  the torque then conspires to murder you by trying to flip the plane upside down. you counter it with rudder and aileron when in flight, but when you get to that "dead man's corner" as you slow down after landing, it throws you into a ground loop, doing doughnuts like you're in Moscow Drift

the cure:   leave it at 100% -- use only throttle during approach

also check:

- yaw trim set slightly left of zero (20~30% helps a lot)

- pitch trim to nose up

- flaps down

- gears down (else lots of ridicule and embarrassment in multiplayer)

- brakes checked and not applied before touchdown

over the fence: (the start of the runway)

- SLOWLY reduce power as you pull the nose up to a 3-point attitude

- touchdown on all threes, whenever possible (or close enough that you don't bounce back up as the tail lashes down)

- cut throttle, use very little, if any brakes at first

- steer carefully with the rudder, the MiG has a controllable tailwheel

- pull up your flaps

- apply brakes gently, remember that your rudder will direct brake pressure to the side you press, so brakes will boost your steering as well as slow you down

be ready to ease up the pressure on the rudder as you apply brakes

and very important:  don't assume the landing is over until the wheels have come to a full stop and the hangar doors are closed.  taildraggers will teach you that much

keep on the controls all the way until it stops, else it will bite you

all in all, the MiG is a wonderful airplane if you can survive it.

Edited by 19//Moach

Haven't flown it in the new FM but I found it pretty tame to land in the old one without spinning. Take-offs were a different matter though!

It's one of those aircraft you have to feel to fly properly, but once you do its all yours.

Easier to land than the spit and the spit is easy:) roll out with bteakes. That's all about landing the MiG. I'm trying to get used to landing her without flaps right now. She's so much fun. Fly her with the new FM. A beauty.

Edited by indiaciki
  • Upvote 1