Sign in to follow this  
Lazduc

2 Video cards SLI

Does anyone here run an SLI configuration for this software?  (IL-2 Sturmovik....Stalingrad...Moscow and the other titles in this series.)\

Just wondering if 2 cards help or if this software does not support SLI?  I purchased in the past, 2 video cards, since DCS promised that they would have and will support SLI.  Yep, they did not, even though for several years they kept saying they would.

post-140511-0-19901000-1506031232_thumb.jpg...photos of my older computer I built to run DCS and never turned it on but after sitting for several years this is what happened just sitting.  Thanks Corsair.

This is photo of new computer with 2 1080TI's.  post-140511-0-90167500-1506031950_thumb.jpg

Hope to have it running this week end.   I have to send the ruined Cosair water block and several photos of the Gtx 780's to Corsair.  That computer is over 3 years old but never turned on, so I hope they will at least replace the water block system....I dont know if they will replace the video card.  I cleaned it but have not tried it....

Lazduc

Yes, I use SLI, and wanted it specifically for DCS as well.  But..here we are.

For IL2, when they went over to DX11, I don't think that SLI seemed to provide much benefit at all until very recently.  However, fairly recently, the developers went and fixed some things with their SLI implementation, and shortly after that, NVidia finally came out with DX11 Compatibility bits.

I've very pleased with SLI now.

Edited by Iceworm

Iceworm,

What version of Nvidia driver are you using?

Thanks, Laz

Iceworm, what about DCS 1.5.x with SLI?

Does it run smooth?

Thank you

Iceworm, what about DCS 1.5.x with SLI?

Does it run smooth?

Thank you

My setup is a 6700k, overclocked to 4.6 and I have two 1070 cards, and I'm running multiple displays.  The short answer is yes, it runs smooth with SLI enabled in the driver.  However, I don't know that I get any benefit from running SLI.  Both cards max out to thermal limits, and I get the impression that they are simply replicating each others work, not scaling cumulatively.   On the bright side, the fact that there are two cards going doesn't cause any problems.  But the real solution here for DCS and SLI is that Nvidia needs to give us an updated driver profile.

Guys,

SLI works, the faster the cards the smaller the overall gain in FPS. Don't get me started on the logic of that either, I've been round and round with the team about how this works. Simple fact is Nvidia finally added an SLI profile for DX11 and it works fine on my GTX 980 SLI setup with an i7 5930 @ 3.5 Ghz OC to 4.0 Ghz machine. I'm pegged at 60 with Vsync at 2560x1600 res with 16 planes fighting, all ground units turned on flying the Kuban map. It's a joy.

When running SLI make double sure  your computer's Power Settings are set for maximum. not balanced. I was set at balanced and I had some weird stutters and changing the power settings stopped that making IL-2 run fantastic on this machine.

Jason

Wouldn't you just know...I just purchased BOS and BOM and a couple of other planes.  I showed the photos of my ruined older computer...never run but the Corsair failed.  And this computer has 2.....you guessed it ....780's.  I emailed Corsair and they want a sales receipt.....gee after 3.5 years I couldn't find it.  Well, I cleaned all the crap off the top 780, used 90 alcohol and DI water..do not have a new water cooler so am waiting to see if the card is ruined.......but I read here that this this program hates 780's either singular or in SLI.  So I wont rush getting it running and it will never see BOS or BOM.  

Next catch 22....my new system has two (SLI) 1080ti which probably won't make a rat's bottom difference.   Next thing at my age....I will probably get sick when I try my Oculus.  Maybe I just should have stayed with Pinochle with all the old folks.  Yea they warned me.  If I played with all that newfangled stuff I would loose what ever I had left of my fading mind.  As a famous person said " Of all the things Iv'e lost, I miss my mind the most. 

Laz

Flying is easy on vertigo as far as VR goes. Driving - is another story.

I may suggest getting a butt-kicker, or a low fq vibration transducer for your chair. The added 'brrrrbzzzt' will do wonders for the overall VR experience/immersion, but more importantly it'll ease the initial disorientation since you'll be getting the much needed 'physical world' feedback, that lack of which is the reason for the actual vr vertigo.

Wouldn't you just know...I just purchased BOS and BOM and a couple of other planes.  I showed the photos of my ruined older computer...never run but the Corsair failed.  And this computer has 2.....you guessed it ....780's.  I emailed Corsair and they want a sales receipt.....gee after 3.5 years I couldn't find it.  Well, I cleaned all the crap off the top 780, used 90 alcohol and DI water..do not have a new water cooler so am waiting to see if the card is ruined.......but I read here that this this program hates 780's either singular or in SLI.  So I wont rush getting it running and it will never see BOS or BOM.  

Next catch 22....my new system has two (SLI) 1080ti which probably won't make a rat's bottom difference.   Next thing at my age....I will probably get sick when I try my Oculus.  Maybe I just should have stayed with Pinochle with all the old folks.  Yea they warned me.  If I played with all that newfangled stuff I would loose what ever I had left of my fading mind.  As a famous person said " Of all the things Iv'e lost, I miss my mind the most. 

Laz

That's a thought....I thought I would try Dramamine. My wife gets car/motion sickness sometimes on a road trip so she takes this.  And wouldn't you know.....looking up Dramamine it seems as druggies take overdoses to get high.  If it comes to taking that or sniffing aerosol paint how about drinking 100 octane aircraft fuel?  Crazy.

interesting, didn't realize there were dramamine junkies..

Well, if all fails then just adhere to a VR training regiment akin to the jet pilot training albeit with a bit different goal.

- Launch VR

- Play 10-15 mins or whatever amount it takes you to start feeling uneasy queasy (but don't force it or push hard for it! I.e. as soon as you start feeling it click Exit)

- Stop the game

- Don't play it for 1-2 days  <--- this is important. You must clear your head from the association.

- Come back, repeat.

- You'll notice after couple of weeks you can play for 25-30% longer, i.e. you're building tolerance and your breaks aren't days but 12-16 hours. After 1-2 months you won't feel a thing and will be fine playing 2-3 hours..

That's a thought....I thought I would try Dramamine. My wife gets car/motion sickness sometimes on a road trip so she takes this.  And wouldn't you know.....looking up Dramamine it seems as druggies take overdoses to get high.  If it comes to taking that or sniffing aerosol paint how about drinking 100 octane aircraft fuel?  Crazy.

Edited by peachmonkey

В 23.09.2017 в 15:51, Jason_Williams сказал:

SLI works, the faster the cards the smaller the overall gain in FPS

Hi Jason.

Can you confirm if SLI still works after the most recent patches? Have you tested if 980Ti SLI gives any performance boost in VR when compared against a single 980Ti?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Matviyko said:

Hi Jason.

Can you confirm if SLI still works after the most recent patches? Have you tested if 980Ti SLI gives any performance boost in VR when compared against a single 980Ti?

Thanks.         

Pretty sure SLI will not work in VR.  Very few games do because the game has to be written to perform in SLI mode while using VR.  This may be old news but last I knew that was how it works.

Edited by GrendelsDad