Sign in to follow this  
Stratman59

Help with rudder pedals please

Hi, just bought TM TRFP rudder pedals. Taxying the 109 seems very intuitive using rudder and left/right wheel braking.

The Russian aircraft, on the other hand, seem intent on going in none stop circles as there seems to be no effect when wheel braking and using just rudder input I can only achieve fairly shallow radius turns at slow RPM? 

Reading Chucks guide as below it appears there should be wheel braking? 

•The Yak-1,like most Russian planes, has a brake system similar to what you would find in your car.
•In order to brake, you need to hold your wheel brake key while you give rudder input to steer your aircraft. Make sure you have adequate mixture, RPM and Manifold Pressure settings or your turn radius will suffer. These factors matter in heavier planes like the Il-2 Sturmovik.

Am I missing something obvious here? 

Russian planes generally have just a lever that applies the brakes. You choose which side brakes by kicking that side rudder pedals. That is, there are no "toe brakes" in the Russian side planes. The P-40 is the exception. So bind a button for the brake.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 2

Well, I sure hope there's some advantage in the air because they're a real disadvantage on the ground! Could take off in everything with the joystick rudder but just getting dizzy with the pedals. 

Russian planes generally have just a lever that applies the brakes.  The P-40 is the exception. 

I-16 too use "toe brakes".

Is matter to get used with "wheel brakes" operation (used too in British and Italian planes of WWII).

Press the button = both wheels braked.

Move the rudder* for right (or left), press the button = only the wheel on this side is braked (like in "toe brake" equipped planes).

In BoS you can move the rudder before or after press the "wheel brakes", no need be in specific order.

At first it was hard to me but now is simply remember that when you apply rudder and then you input the brakes, the brake of the side you applied rudder is the one that works. In Russian planes that do not have toe brakes, of course.  :)

Edited by Tag777

Russian planes generally have just a lever that applies the brakes. You choose which side brakes by kicking that side rudder pedals. That is, there are no "toe brakes" in the Russian side planes. The P-40 is the exception. So bind a button for the brake.

I-16 also has toebrakes. But I think you can always just use button + rudder for differential braking on all planes? (saw that working on I-16 at least)

But I think you can always just use button + rudder for differential braking on all planes? (saw that working on I-16 at least)

Yes, you can use "wheel brakes" + rudder for achieve "differential brakes" in all planes of the game, e.g Bf 109, P-40...

Planed or accidental feature, this is very helpful for people with "3-in-1" twist rudder joystick and no pedals, that can press the button/key for "wheel brakes" and twist the stick to apply brake selective. :good:  

The "collateral effect" of this is that prevents people with "fancy" (and expensive) pedals with brakes fake "toe brakes" in Russian, Italian and British planes without affect the brake in "toe brakes" planes (Luftwaffe, I-16, P-40), unless reassign axis and re-start the game every time he became "turncoat" - option for save controls assignments per plane (like CloD, DCSW) solve this.   :)

Edited by Sokol1