For my money the most beautiful aircraft of the war.

The Jug and Mustang (especially the Jug) more than assuage my disappointment for it's delay....but I'm still giddy about the idea of

flying it someday soon.

Soon is never too soon. Now that I know the full meaning of it from both sides (customer and developer) it's going to be a looong wait. But I've started learning Japanese so we will see who gets first to his goal ;)

In the meantime, there was a startup recorded: https://www.facebook.com/planesoffameairmuseum/videos/10155269676058790/

That "soon" thing is the problem.

Well...for a long time I had to live with a probable "never"

I could probably dig up my post on the RoF forum from years ago where I mentioned what a dream it would be to fly a Zeke

done with that engine. Now it's on the map, and the engine is even better.

Here are the Zeros from the PoF airshow in May. There were two airworthy ones and one as a static display. The weather/lighting was not the greatest and the photos are a little softer than I would prefer. The last one represents a merged Bodenplatte and Midway :)

post-1221-0-02485200-1512443169_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-84211500-1512443189_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-10901600-1512443208_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-05431000-1512443250_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-86946000-1512443272_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-73358700-1512443295_thumb.jpg

Four photos bounced. I'll try to reduce them and upload again.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

Great pictures Murf ! The one with tail no. 61-120 is the Planes of Fame A6M5 model 52, the one with tail no. X-133 is A6M3 model 22 and belongs to Commemorative Air Force Southern California Wing. 

I hear with great sadness that the expected release of the Battle of Midway has been pushed back. The reason I was given is lack of data for Japanese Aircraft and ships.

As a past FM builder for WarBirds, Targetware and War Thunder I have collected a large amount of data specific to the Japanese Pacific war aircraft. The Pacific war is my passion and I'm happy to pass on any data if this can assist in creating a new Carrier Simulation. I have a number of technical documents and manuals I have purchased over time than may be of assistance. If someone from the team would like to PM me with a list of the data gaps I'll be happy to trawl through my HD to see if I can fill any data gaps.

There is a keen bunch of Pacific Airwar pilots sitting in the background waiting for the next best thing, some of us have have been waiting for many many years. The first company to come up with a good modern WW2 Pacific sim will get our following.

Steve.

Edited by Peril
  • Upvote 4

Oh yes Peril, I remember you making a number of flight models including the Zero in War Thunder. It was around 2013? 

Weren't you also an owner of that P-40 website ? I remember you were a fan of P-40 big time, perhaps you could help guys in FM section with their issues and questions on P-40.

Hi Hiro, I guess I'd should expect to find fellow supporters of IJ here.

Oh yes Peril, I remember you making a number of flight models including the Zero in War Thunder. It was around 2013? 

Weren't you also an owner of that P-40 website ? I remember you were a fan of P-40 big time, perhaps you could help guys in FM section with their issues and questions on P-40.

Probably 2012-13 with WT.

I didn't think the P40 would have any unknowns, sure if he needs something I can supply not a problem. It did always have a very 'positive' data trail left by Curtiss, I prefer the tested stuff by the RAAF as closer to reality. Still, it does surprise some how good it was.  :)

Edited by Peril

Tried to PM J

Hi Steve,

Send a PM to Jason Williams, I'm sure he will be very glad to hear from you.

Tried to PM Jason but his name appears incorrect.

Any chance it's spelled differently?

Of course. Now I only wait for old members and fans from old Il-2. Perhaps this part of community will be resurrected as we will get closer to Pacific "dream".

As for P-40, there is a number of threads primarily concerning the cooling modelling and engine power regimes due to very strict limitations imposed on engine in game. Guys in FM section will know better since I prefer flying P-40 instead of discussing it ;)

Thats the guy: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/user/13-jason_williams/

Though you may try your luck by contacting him via email. It's hard to get contact with him via PM, sometimes may take eternity. Email seems to give better results.

From a recent post by Jason

I get hundreds of emails and PMs a month combined from all over the sim spectrum and beyond. I try to set aside time to respond to as many reasonable emails as possible. Some are ridiculous or attack me and I ignore them. Except for Pat, I ignore him on purpose! J/K

Due to the busy nature of the past couple months I am slow in responding to people. No one should take anything personally unless you are being unreasonable and then I will slow walk of just not respond. I don't have time for nonsense right now. 

I thought my email was visible to be honest. jason@777studios.net or PM me here. It's never been a big secret.

Cheers Dakpilot

Hi Hiro, I guess I'd should expect to find fellow supporters of IJ here.

Probably 2012-13 with WT.

I didn't think the P40 would have any unknowns, sure if he needs something I can supply not a problem. It did always have a very 'positive' data trail left by Curtiss, I prefer the tested stuff by the RAAF as closer to reality. Still, it does surprise some how good it was.  :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20160228081658/http://raafwarbirds.org.au/targetvraaf/p40_archive/p40_data.htm

Very useful. I've been investigating the P-40 FM for..well maybe a year and a half now? TL/DR is the aircraft seems to stall at a higher speed in game than is listed on documents, and might have a too low CLmax. So anything that would shed light on that would be handy.

I so can't wait for that...I'm a float-plane guy at heart.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160228081658/http://raafwarbirds.org.au/targetvraaf/p40_archive/p40_data.htm

Very useful. I've been investigating the P-40 FM for..well maybe a year and a half now? TL/DR is the aircraft seems to stall at a higher speed in game than is listed on documents, and might have a too low CLmax. So anything that would shed light on that would be handy.

Hi, I can't remember having any strange CL Max variations in my builds but each FM engine behaves a little differently. It is difficult to get a realistic result from a simplified engine. Not as if we all have super computers and a Boeing software engine for example. Best you can do is keep checking against data and tweaking, more research and more tweaking, it's never finished I found. Have you considered Oswald Factors, more energy retention rather than pure stall speeds. 

Wonder if they will change the "meatball" into a stop sign. So not to offend anyone's feelings..... :P

Why would they? JSDF still sports the red circle as a national insignia.

Was just being facetious... :wacko:

I was thinking of this article in the Washington Post btw...there is still alot of ill will towards Imperial Japan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/06/27/japan-has-a-flag-problem-too/?utm_term=.0e767d3d09a2

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Upvote 1

Was just being facetious... :wacko:

I was thinking of this article in the Washington Post btw...there is still alot of ill will towards Imperial Japan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/06/27/japan-has-a-flag-problem-too/?utm_term=.0e767d3d09a2

Those people will find any way in the world to stir the pot so to speak. And they are about 70 years too late on trying to push this issue. If I could have my way i would eliminate most/all censorship of insignia.

Those people will find any way in the world to stir the pot so to speak. And they are about 70 years too late on trying to push this issue. If I could have my way i would eliminate most/all censorship of insigni

Totally agree with you about eliminating censorship of historic insignia. For historic purpose at least.  Not going to happen as we are forced to live in a PC world these days.....

Edited by CastorTroy

Just so you know, it's called the Hinomaru,  not the "Japanese circle".

ShinMaywa_US-2_at_Atsugi.jpg

The current ShinMaywa US 2 in use by Japanese Self Defense Forces.   ShinMaywa is the direct decedent of Kawanishi, the makers of the H8K "Emily".

The ShinMaya boats are very clever designs, and are no doubt the best flying boats ever fielded.   They use an internal turbine APU to power a large compressor that forces high velocity airflow over the flaps

at low speeds thus increasing lift and is one of the ways this class of aircraft can operate in rough seas.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

It's one of those rare designs that manages to look both totally ready for business and fairly ridiculous at the same time.

I suspect if it didn't have that protruding radome on the nose you would find it more appealing visually.

That said, every odd strake, fence and shape on the nose of the aircraft was done to make rough water ops possible.  It's all about keeping spray from hitting the props/engines.

If I was a very very wealthy man, this would be my private aircraft.

It's not a criticism, I don't find it particularly unappealing. It's certainly not the worst-looking aircraft I've ever seen.

But I can't quite decide whether it looks aggressive and businesslike, or just a bit confused.

As someone who likes naval aircraft anyway I'm predisposed towards liking aircraft that others probably think look less polished and aesthetic than what they're used to.