Based on historic events during the Battle of Stalingrad, this single player campaign puts you in the seat of the infamous German dive bomber - the Stuka. With sirens roaring take part in high altitude dive bombing missions and conduct close air support missions to assist ground forces along the front. Fly in formation as a wingman and eventually claim flight lead and take command of your own 3 plane Kette among the 12 plane Staffel. From the initial bombing campaign of the city during the warm summer and through the desperate struggle of winter, II./StG 2 'Immelmann' relentlessly flew sortie after sortie in support of the ground forces below. Stukas often lead the way for many of the German assaults and provided much needed support against Soviet counter attacks.
Time frame: July 31 - December 18, 1942
Unit: II./StG 2
Available aircraft: Ju 87 D-3
Duration: 18 missions
Available Languages: English, Russian, Spanish
Some notes about the campaign:
- Sometimes finding information for front-line data was difficult and an approximation was used.
- The airfields you will be operating at are mostly historically accurate. This means long flight times of 45-60 minutes are common until the group relocates closer to Stalingrad.
- Weapon load-outs are locked. Not only would certain weapons be historically inaccurate, but the weight could affect the plane and make the mission not function as intended.
- The player starts out as a wing-man and later becomes a flight leader of a 3 plane "Kette" among the 12 plane Staffel.
- All high altitude dive bomb missions are in-air starts. This achieves the most "epic" flying formation possible which cannot be done from a land start, period. Another reason for the in-air start is due to the very slow speed and climb rate of the AI. This is out of my control.
- Max AI Stuka speed is 270kph. Again, this is out of my control, hard-coded game stuff.
- I have important notes listed at the end of each mission briefing. If you abide by them the missions will function properly. The mission won't work properly if you think you are a fighter pilot and fly around aimlessly.
- Fans of the Ju 87 should find some joy in this campaign. But it could be considered a bit "hardcore" due to the long flights and formation flying. It is not fast paced action packed stuff like the fighter campaigns.
- I'd highly recommend that you become confident in take off, landing and dive procedure of the Ju 87 before starting the campaign. You don't want to fly 20-60 minutes only to derp into the ground.
- Sirens of Death was completed before the latest Flight Model release. Please report any issues and I will fix them or make a technical/bug report.
Also, I am currently working on a campaign based on ZG 26 (Bf 110, BoM). In contrast to Sirens of Death, the 110 campaign is very action packed with ground attack, bombing, escort and intercept missions. It will suite the needs of the average player really well I think. So stay tuned for that one...
A big thanks to the few guys who put in some serious hours testing this!
A special thanks to E69_Cananas for the Spanish translation!
Another thanks to =IRSS=CV72= for the Russian translation!
Edited by NETSCAPE, 11 February 2018 - 07:07.