II./JG77_motoadve

What Single player is lacking and what MP is lacking.

MP need organized events, long time ago like 20 years ago I used to play Warbirds scenarios I think it was 2 times per week.

In advance you signed up and knew you where going to be in which squadron and which position.

Very immersive.

I have played Friday Bombing and its kind of the same, just need more of those.

I also used to fly the Warbirds Scenarios twice a week, in fact they were the *only* nights I flew. Leading a formation of bombers for an hour over the North Sea to bomb Hamburg then limp home for an hour and a half leaking fluids was way better than 5 hours in a dogfight server for me and the rest of my week was spent either preparing for the scenario or writing an AAR for the last one :-)   I only stopped flying Warbirds because they changed the pricing plan to pay a little less for the regular maps but a premium to take part in the scenarios and I objected to paying for regular arenas that I never used.       Nothing since has matched that (Aces High, IL-2 46, CLoD) though some of the large special events in IL-2 1946 & CLoD came close.   

All the posts about what extra functions & features we would need are missing the point.  It is more about having a server that allows 100+ players then having people willing to organise it on a regular basis.  The fact that Warbirds introduced a surcharge for playing the scenarios even though it was (I believe) a few dedicated players that organised them is probably telling.  Warbirds recognised that they were benefiting from the hard work of a team of players and I think some of that fee went to the organisers for doing it (plus maybe something for themselves for providing a server to run it on).   I am not suggesting that 1C pay people to run special events,  just pointing out that it needs a lot of hard work by a few to provide that level of fun and immersion for the many.  The organisers in IL2-46 & CLoD did a great job but they could not keep it going non-stop 52 weeks of the year.     If a team of players were to take it on for BoX I would gladly subscribe by Paypal to support them but I freely admit I am too lazy to do it myself.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Roblex, we have FNBF weekly which is exactly that: an organised event that lasts a few hours. Check the eSports/Events section of the forums to get an idea of what it's like.

Do you have a link to the dev response post?

I do now. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-questions-developers/page-47?hl=%2Benter&do=findComment&comment=371376 and it looks like I misremembered the response. I was wrong to state that they EXPLICITLY stated it was not important. The actual response for that request was "For now it is not possible to re-map GUI controls. May be in future." "Not possible" was probably not technically accurate, so I would chalk that response down as a polite Russian version "No, not important now, maybe later." I can only assume that this user selectable setting was rolled out later, when I don't know, but I don't recall any mention of it in any change-log. I would hazard many users are not even aware of this setting (good find, BTW).

I can dig out the response to my winter camp post later, but we obviously differ on the importance of some minimal effort to polish little things that make game more enjoyable. That's fine, we all like the game but want different things out of it.

I can only assume that this user selectable setting was rolled out later, when I don't know, but I don't recall any mention of it in any change-log. I would hazard many users are not even aware of this setting (good find, BTW).

I actually think it's been there from the beginning. In any case, it's there now so problem solved.

As for the winter maps/skins, I'd also like to see something like that. But the problem is still time and money. Even if s small change is only a 10 minute job, no one is going to do it if they are 2 weeks behind schedule on all the big issues.

I don't think the winter skin is that much of an issue, personally. Even with the camo it's extremely easy to see a metallic object flashing against the snow at 300km/h.

One solution would be to look at the name of custom skins and add a system where any skin file names starting with "w_" would trigger the winter skin to show for those without the skin file but again I'm not sure it's that pressing of issue.

I actually think it's been there from the beginning. In any case, it's there now so problem solved.

As for the winter maps/skins, I'd also like to see something like that. But the problem is still time and money. Even if s small change is only a 10 minute job, no one is going to do it if they are 2 weeks behind schedule on all the big issues.

Well, I hope after they get back from their post-Kuban release Christmas holidays that they can devote some time to polishing things up a bit, particularly on all the MP improvements that have been discussed in this thread.

Well, I hope after they get back from their post-Kuban release Christmas holidays that they can devote some time to polishing things up a bit, particularly on all the MP improvements that have been discussed in this thread.

They're "polishing" all the time. But there probably isn't enough time in the day to make all the changes that have been suggested by the community.

I don't think the winter skin is that much of an issue, personally. Even with the camo it's extremely easy to see a metallic object flashing against the snow at 300km/h.

One solution would be to look at the name of custom skins and add a system where any skin file names starting with "w_" would trigger the winter skin to show for those without the skin file but again I'm not sure it's that pressing of issue.

It's as much for game immersion as concealment. I know it's not pressing but I wish they had a very junior level programmer they could put to work on this simple stuff. I agree that their top programmers shouldn't be diverted to this.

The problem is that this junior lad would need to be paid full time to work in features that don't return the investment and could potentially bring expensive bugs should they mess up. It's a lot riskier than asking the players for a bit of patience.

By the way, this fruit is so "low hanging" that you can do it yourself. Just go into your control settings and change it. That is probably why they didn't make this change.

Does it actually work? I tried this when I first got the game and it didn't take effect. I ended up saying something important on global chat and looking like a fool.

Definitely, More focus needs to be paid to game polish. Even simple things matter but they have been dismissed out of hand by the Devs. I remember people asking for the multi-player chat that Enter for All chat and Cntrl Enter for Team chat be reversed. A perfectly reasonable request which would address the common screwup of giving info to the opposing team by accident and the response was that it was "too complicated." Another example was a request I made to have the default skin set to a winter skin on winter maps. Simple, yet this too was dismissed as "too complicated". Yet from a usability standpoint it saves players time when they spawn in on a winter map and don't have to futz around switching to a winter skin. It doesn't take much time, but if you forget to switch you have to spawn out , back in, and go through engine startup all over again. if you are flying in a group mission you basically delayed the whole group by 30 seconds ( or 2 hours in a P40 ).

The dev team has done some amazing technical feats with new planes, Flight modeling, Direct-X, Kuban map etc. However to completely discard these small "low hanging fruit" suggestions that improve gameplay means that the underlying glue that holds these element together is not as strong as it could be.

Maybe it's a cultural thing I don't know. Undoubtedly the Devs are world class programmers and sim designers. However, they need focus more on what could make the game enjoyable and that is something that we as customers know something about. I am afraid that their heavy day to day interaction with the program at the deepest technical levels means they can't step back and look at things simply objectively from an end-user point of view.

+1.

I agree.  The broad strokes of this sim are as good or better than anything made to date.  The flight models are decent, the 3D models are nothing short of spectacular, maps, scenery, clouds, and assorted objects are all first rate.

​However, and I believe this is what has and continues to stifle the success of this sim, there are so many little things that need to be addressed to make this game so much more enjoyable to old dogs and inviting to new players.

​The list is long and has been hashed over and over and over.  Stuff like:

Being able to customize in game chat windows (chat window, techno-chat, messages, etc) - resize, move etc

​Being able to switch the Enter/Ctrl Enter function in MP

​The MP "lobby" list.....this thing is abysmally awful

​There are tons of examples spread over many posts.  Everybody has his/her hobby horse and I will not go into my own here.

​It might not be a bad idea for someone to compile a list then submit it to the community somehow so that we can get a majority opinion on the top 5 or 10 or 15 most important "polish" issues that need resolved.

​I do think that when Pacific Fighters comes out, there will be at least a slight uptick in interest from those who are not interested right now.  It would behoove the makers of this game to get the very worst of the "polish" issues ironed out before an untapped group of gamers are unduly turned off by them

• Upvote 1

Does it actually work? I tried this when I first got the game and it didn't take effect. I ended up saying something important on global chat and looking like a fool.

If it doesn't actually work you should report it as a bug.

I assigned it to buttons on my iPad using the existing key settings, so it really doesn't matter to me whether you can change it.

Of course, some bugs probably have a higher priority than others...

It doesn't work too well doing it via the game interface. I couldn't remap my Enter key. You CAN change it via the config file. Funny thing is that the game HUD will still display Hit Cntrl enter for chat to all even if you reverse the settings.

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

Single player career would be fantastic if modeled after Red Baron 3D.

In Red Baron 3D lots of planes in a dynamic space, and the ability to manage and improve the skills of AI pilots in your squadron by managing their wingmen and insuring that they survive sorties.