Bullets

Pimax 8k / 5k VR headsets coming to Kickstarter this month!

chiliwili69, I suspect that the reason is because the base station is not directly in front of you. Side on is not going to be optimal as many of the detectors will be obscured from the laser.☹️

Some tests from the Pimax 5k with OLED came out...(as expected) you get true black, but on the other hand there is a noticeable screendoor effect (they say pretty much on par with Vive Pro). I don't know, I don't care about screendoor too much even with my Rift (barely see it), but on the other hand I mostly do racing and flying at daytime, so I don't really care about "true black", because I am never in absolute dark scenes anyway..i initially planned to go for the OLED, but with those issues I think I am going to get the 5k+ afterall...

• Like 1

From my point of view I have a good Black on my 5k+, don't no where have Problem with this Black.... 

14 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Last sunday I proudly installed the single basestation in the left wall at 1.8 meters elevation making some DIY. Now it is at 1.8 meters from my face. It should be OK.

I also connected a combined switch to turn off the basestation and Pimax at the same time.

This afternoon I also put some more foam (reusing some of the original foam from Pimax) in the bottom area, so me nose doesn´t touch the lenses.

And finally tested Il-2 VR.... and  ...I have a new problem now.!!

The menu is moving a bit with me when I turn the head! I had not this problem before!!

I have tried to delete Lighthouse folder, stop services, reinitialize device, recalibrate Pimax Tool and SteamVR, but it didn´t solve it.

This Pimax thing is being like an obstacle race!!  You don´t know what is coming next.:unsure:

Perhaps the heating of the top fans of the CPU liquid cooling is 30 cm below the basestations and it is affecting it.

Or maybe it is because it is not just centered in front of my face as it was before.

I hate to read Pimax forums again and again!!

I have two old Vive Boxes. 

Over 6h testing, no Problems. 

The best Tracking ever, bedder than the Vive. 

HEY, HEY HEY!!!!  HAHAHAHA !!! Problem solved!!!

Below was my Basestation new fixing I did last sunday, Who can guess what is the problem????  

Clue: Just with "picture" you have enough data to know it!!

Clue 2: think cold!

648685014_basestationdistance.thumb.jpg.436afa515c3d2c0f51f7b65e224f06d5.jpg

965576557_Basestationinwall.thumb.jpg.d7c36dbfda732e3163d46d72ecd8360b.jpg

• Haha 1

That looks like a pretty good position for the basestation. It's not side-on as I had imagined. Yes, if that picture has glass over it then there's gonna be reflections.

You guys knew it!  Well done! It is just the glass reflections of that mountains picture (BTW, Aguas Tuertas in Pyrenees).

The problem disappeared completely when I removed the picture from the wall. Now it works perfectly with one basestation, even looking to six.

I don´t know how I had been sooo blind when I was installing the BS in the new position.

I will see what I can do now, or remove the picture every time I play or put the BS in another position or something else...

Apologize for blaming Pimax about this problem. Here it has been again my fault!  :blush:

4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

You guys knew it!  Well done! It is just the glass reflections of that mountains picture (BTW, Aguas Tuertas in Pyrenees).

Good to know.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:58 PM, I./JG68_Sperber said:

Here the perfect solution for the Pimax 5K+ 3Dmigoto Mod:

5x and 10x ZOOM  Normal FOV !!

w = 10.0                                          
y6 = 4.41                                 
y7 = -0.6        
x7 = 1.0            
w6 = 0.0

w = 5.0                                              
y6 = 1.95
y7 = -0.31        
x7 = 1.0        
w6 = 0.0

@I./JG68_Sperber I tryed your ZOOM settings but something is still off in my system. Can you send me your file ? Have you set somewhere IPD value ?

Edited by TWHYata_PL

1 hour ago, TWHYata_PL said:

@I./JG68_Sperber I tryed your ZOOM settings but something is still off in my system. Can you send me your file ? Have you set somewhere IPD value ?

the IPD is in  user_keymapping_zoom.ini file. 

For my vivepro the deafult x6=0.008 is waaay too big, the cockpit becomes very large, feels like i'm sitting in the airbus 320. :)   I changed it to 0.003 for a better fit.

[Key8]
;Global Shift toogle
; Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_LEFT
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DELETE
type = cycle
; modify here the first value for global shift
x6 = 0.008, 0.0

On 1/21/2019 at 5:21 PM, TWHYata_PL said:

All other is original... I have 61-62 mm

This must have been covered in this thread, but do you guys think 5K will be good enought for BOS? The price difference is not an issue, but the higher hardware requirements might be. Would you be able to spot well with 5K and read the instruments clearly?

How does the resolution compares to the Odyssey + ?

Right now I have the Odyssey plus, can read everything , and runs smooth.(Even the prop instrument letters on the 109 are readable)

If Pimax 5K has the same resolution I cancel my order and keep my Odyssey.

New features !

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-official-1-0-1-103-beta-test-release-for-brainwarp-1-0/14256/91

I have Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti right now and I tested alredy fixed fovated rendering and it dosnt work with IL 2 in this beta. ( It works OK with other sims like PC 2 , AC, ED)

But Guys,  lets forget about it, and lets forget about montion smoothness becouse they give us 64hz and 72 hz mode and this 72 hz mode is fantastic - I have stable 72 fps on every map with pitool 1.25, SS 60 % , medium textures, 100 km view no shadows ( or low dont remember)

So I'm playing on the same resolutions like before update but somehow sharpness/clarity and rendering engines is even better ( faster)

after this update even without fixed FR !

I was flying Today 2 hours , only for  views. Amazing how they progress ! this is definitely the best hmd currently on the market.

Samsung go fish..

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 4

What an amazing software update from Pimax. This gives extra flexibility to users (or hard time flidding).

- An equivalent to ASW (they called SmartSmoothing)

- Three levels of display frequency: 5K+ 90/72/64Hz  (this is the first time I see this in a VR headset)

- Three levels of FFR. This exactly what we need to reduce load of GPU. It is just putting more SS in the center that in peripheral.

Now I only want time to try out all this!

• Like 1

I will wait for better versions. Currently I have with the 91 version, Steam VR 80% and Pitool 2, 50 FPS. It is absolutely fluid and has a fantastic tracking.

I just tried the latest version with Spacewarp.

FFR does nothing in BoS for me.  Or if it does it is adding zero additional performance.

SmartSmoothing causes serious articling and graphical anomalies.

Anything other than 90Hz causes the much mentioned world movement.

I am using an RTX 2080

8 hours ago, ICDP said:

I just tried the latest version with Spacewarp.

FFR does nothing in BoS for me.  Or if it does...

I am using an RTX 2080

Are you sure it was turned on ? It hangs IL 2 in a second in my system..

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Yes it was on OK, at least the SmartSmoothing part was on because I was seeing the wobble effect ASW brings.

5 hours ago, ICDP said:

Yes it was on OK, at least the SmartSmoothing part was on because I was seeing the wobble effect ASW brings.

Have you tryed new features seperatly ? or you just turn everything on ?

During my test e.g 72 hz mode without FFR and Smart Smoothing and was the best , quality & stable 72 fps, munch better than 90 hz

Edited by TWHYata_PL

@lefuneste

I have question , today updated your migoto tool to ver. 10.6.2 but noticed that in old user.var.initialization.ini we had possibility to raise saturation for all colours by simply one changes

"

; Color Fix
;----------------
; default value for saturation (typically -1 to 1, but can be higher or lower...)
x1 = 0.0
; x1 = 0.5

"

i dont see this lines in version 10.6.2 in user var initialziation.ini   but I desperately need that back for my Pimax 5k

How to raised saturation in new version ?

Edit: I think I found possibility to change saturation at this line:

data = R32_FLOAT +0.07 +1.00 +0.25 +0.00 +1.0 +0.25 +0.07 +1.00 +0.25 +0.10 +1.00 +0.50
;                ^Cockpit 1      ^|^External 1     ^|^Cockpit 2      ^|^External 2     ^
;                Add    Mul   Sat   Add    Mul   Sat  Add    Mul   Sat   Add    Mul   Sat
;                 New color.RGB = oldColor.RGB*(Mul,Mul,Mul) + RGB(Add,Add, Add) + Sat.RGB

Edited by TWHYata_PL

1 hour ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Have you tryed new features seperatly ? or you just turn everything on ?

During my test e.g 72 hz mode without FFR and Smart Smoothing and was the best , quality & stable 72 fps, munch better than 90 hz

I tried it without FFR, Smart Smoothing on and 72Hz just now.  Smart Smoothing on causes wobble and shimmering effects regardless of Hz settings.  It is unusable and reminds me of how Rift CV1 looked with ASW on.  I was sat behind an I-16 climbing towards clouds and literally could not get a clean shot because the I-16 was shimmering and wobbling so much.  It is especially worse when looking at clouds through your prop disk.

I much prefer sitting at 50Hz and no smart smoothing.  At least it gives no artifacting.

3 minutes ago, ICDP said:

I tried it without FFR, Smart Smoothing on and 72Hz just now.

I newer tried Smart Soothing with IL 2. Simply 72 hz is good enough for me. ( RTX 2080 TI)

Edited by TWHYata_PL

3 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

I newer tried Smart Soothing with IL 2. Simply 72 hz is good enough for me. ( RTX 2080 TI)

How do you compare the Pimax picture resolution vs the Odyssey plus?

Right now Odyssey+ looking good and smoothly, can read all the instruments, even the label on the rpm instrument gauge in the 109.

15 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

How do you compare the Pimax picture resolution vs the Odyssey plus?

Right now Odyssey+ looking good and smoothly, can read all the instruments, even the label on the rpm instrument gauge in the 109.

why do you assume that I have Odyssey+ ? I can ask you the same question :)

and yes I can read all instrument as well ( even small text at giro in spit mk9 ) and I have very sharp distance view + wide fov+ huge sweetspot

Edited by TWHYata_PL

3 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

why do you assume that I have Odyssey+ ? I can ask you the same question :)

and yes I can read all instrument as well and I have very sharp distance view + wide fov+ huge sweetspot

I thought you had that one before.

Huge sweet spot and larger FOV sounds pretty nice.

I just ordered a Pimax 5k+. I am currently using an Odyssey. After reading several posts I am wondering if I need to buy Vive controllers. Can I use this Pimax as a stand alone unit till the Pimax controllers become available? 

17 minutes ago, tkcamp56tkcamp said:

I just ordered a Pimax 5k+. I am currently using an Odyssey. After reading several posts I am wondering if I need to buy Vive controllers. Can I use this Pimax as a stand alone unit till the Pimax controllers become available? 

If you want 6DoF then you will need a Vive Lighthouse.  You don't need the controllers for seated games like BoX.

Ok, Great I just want it to play Il2 for now I can wait then for some controllers

I feared head tracking might be linked to the base stations and I would need them

31 minutes ago, ICDP said:

If you want 6DoF then you will need a Vive Lighthouse.  You don't need the controllers for seated games like BoX. 

Is there any clue as to when the Pimax Base Stations will be out?  I ordered one with the KS.

EDIT:  I found this in a Pimax thread dated about Jan 24th:

We plan to ship base station&controllers Q3 2019

ICDP,  is the following what you mention?

https://www.vive.com/us/accessory/base-station/

I am thinking I will need a BS sooner than the proposed shipping date.  Is there a specific one required?  I read about v1 and v2.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Do yourself a favour, save some money and get a used one from eBay or Craigs list and make sure it includes the power pack.  Only one is required for sitting, 2 if you plan to use room scale.  I have 2 but am only using 1 until I get my Vive Wands.

Edited by ICDP

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

Do yourself a favour, save some money and get a used one from eBay or Craigs list and make sure it includes the power pack.  Only one is required for sitting, 2 if you plan to use room scale.  I have 2 but am only using 1 until I get my Vive Wands.

Thanks.  Is there a specific version I should look for, i.e. v1 vs v2, or does either work?

EDIT:  or maybe the v2 isn't out yet?

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

V2 is not out yet, find a V1 but I believe either should work when V2 is released.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Hey Chili, I have an 8086K @ 5.0ghz and an RTX 2080 (which is about the same as the 1080ti). It looks like Rift S may be coming, but it seems likely to be only a minor bump in resolution (to Odyssey+ levels) and nothing for the FOV.

Would you recommend the Pimax 5k to someone like me with my rig? I love playing with my Rift but the low resolution is making spotting and ID quite hard, and I very much like the idea of better resolution and peripheral view. But I am nervous about the performance issues with that many pixels. Pimax seem to be making progress adding software features such as 72hz, brainwarp and so on, but they haven't been 100% on those features, and the ergonomics and software quality on the Rift have always been excellent.

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

, but it seems likely to be only a minor bump in resolution (to Odyssey+ levels) and nothing for the FOV.

The only confirmed thing about the Rift S is the software based IPD adjustment. We still don´t know resolution or FOV. They are just speculation.

It is true that Oculus is interested in the mass market PC, so they will not go for a super high resolution or superwideFOV.

We, combat flight simmers, need resolution and FOV, and this is what the Pimax5K+ delivers. The more you increase the FOV the more you need to increase resolution to have also a good angular resolution. We end up with a large amount of pixels to render, and then high end graphics cards that only a few people own. So, Facebook will not kill themselves by producing a device to compete with the Pimax5K+ or an "small" PC community (Flight sim, space sim).

But let´s go to your main question.

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Would you recommend the Pimax 5k to someone like me with my rig?

A 80% YES. (means 80% better than Rift overall)

You have a much better rig than me, so  if I have no problems in terms of performance with 66% SS, you will have even better.

I still have to try the 72Hz mode. And you will be able to try the FFR in the RTX cards to see how they reduce the GPU load by concentrating the SS in the center of the view.

Does it mean the Pimax5K+ is perfect?  NO

The good things (this is the 80% of the YES) of Pimax5K+ for my subjective feeling are (I will put a weight for every aspect):

50%: FOV: This is the key thing. I love to see more sky, to see my six.I am more immersed. I only use Normal FOV (still not tried the large or small FOV).For me it is now the standard. I can not go back to Rift on this. The Pimax lenses are a piece of art.

30%: Resolution: The image is crisp and clearer with the Pimax5K+. No doubt. But it is not twice better. I made some screenshoot in another threads. here and here

10%: God rays: Almost no god rays in the Pimax.

10%: SDE: It never bothered me with the Rift, but with the Pimax is less noticeable (but visible if you want to find it)

The bad things (this represent the 20% of the NO):

60%: Ergonomy: The weight is not problem (it is really light), but the default chusion is not right. I have to do some DIY with the Foam until I get the headset positioned at the right place. Here I invested a bit of time, it is really tricky. With the Rift was just right from minute 1. Also the elastic bands are worse that the Rift. But OK for now.

20%: headphones: Here you have to use your own, but it is OK. I liked very much the integrated audio of Rift, it was perfect.

20%: colors: They seems to be a little bit cold and less contrast in night flight, but not a major issue.

If you can afford it don´t doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2