Bullets

Pimax 8k / 5k VR headsets coming to Kickstarter this month!

I'm recommending settings: PiTool render 1.5 , steam vr SS 30 %

in game medium textures , distance view 70 km, sharp filter , AA 2x, medium clouds, low shadow...

got pretty nice visuals and fps between 80~70 ( depends of map)

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Thanks 1

My Pimax 5K+ arrived just yesterday.

Unfortunately I will have not time to try them until 1-Jan or perhaps 2-Jan. Family first. :drinks:

• Like 1

Well, it seems I had no luck with my Pimax 5K+ unit.  :unsure:  I have been trying to set it up but there is some problems with the headset not being tracked. The same problem was reported by other people in the forum and I asked for Pimax support. They are agile and yesterday they were connecting to my PC via TeamViewer from Shangai and were looking inside several things. They concluded that it might be a hardware problem. I am waiting instructions from them.

The weird thing is that it just worked only one time (about 5 minutes), enough to give it a try to IL-2 but something else was wrong with settings since the 3D vision was mixed, similar to what you see when looking your nose with the two eyes. :wacko:

Some people in the forum corrected via software the "Not tracked" issue, but it seems that in my case is due to hardware. Maybe the cable not being well connected with the device...

In any case, Quality problems are typical from small companies ramping up production. Pimax is working on improving it.

The only thing I can tell you is about ergonomics. The weight (470 grm.) is surprising light, about the same than Rift. The default velcro straps seems quite OK for the moment and there is nothing big in the back side (like the adjusting wheel of the VivePro). The Pimax fit well to my face and overall is well fixed, following my head movements. But I have to say that Rift is a bit better here since it has a bit less moment of inertia (angular mass).

@chiliwili69 I don't know if you follow the Pimax forums closely, but a recurring problem is that the cable needs to be pushed in the headset. It's often loose after delivery. The other problem (double image) is fixed by checking "parallel projection" in PiTool.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2018 at 10:02 PM, chiliwili69 said:

My Pimax 5K+ arrived just yesterday.

Unfortunately I will have not time to try them until 1-Jan or perhaps 2-Jan. Family first. :drinks:

C0ngratulations !

1 ) First of all you need to mark "Parallel Projection"  in Pitool to play IL 2 and most simulators

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pitool-setting-suggestions/9312?u=ludx

2) Bookmark this page https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/these-are-common-issues-i-have-had-5k-and-ways-to-fix-them/11522

& follow istructions in case of any problems with Pimax.

3 ) Are you backer or you got preorder unit ?  your signature says that you are in preorder pool?!

Have you recived any accessories like frame for corrective glasses & other stuff ?

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Are you backer or you got preorder unit ?  your signature says that you are in preorder pool?!

Have you recived any accessories like frame for corrective glasses & other stuff ?

Thanks for the tips. They are still working on my PC remotely to identify issue.

I was the backer 954. I switched from 8K to 5K+ after knowing the 8K has lower resolution. I don´t use glasses. Neither ordered other stuff. For the time being I only use VR for IL-2. And some demos.

4 hours ago, coconut said:

I don't know if you follow the Pimax forums closely, but a recurring problem is that the cable needs to be pushed in the headset

Thanks for this. Initially it worked when I pushed the cable in. But it doesn´t work anymore the push. I don´t know how "hard" should I push.

Stereoscopic issue is also a known consequence of a mismatched foam thickness. Pimax offers 3 different thickness and they are user backers for testing this, not always sending the same foam thickness. The thinner one is the one that can make this stereoscopic issue, it is 11.5mm IIRC. Can you measure yours ?

I didn´t know there were 3 different thickness. I have measure mine and it is exactly 11.5 mm.

But I don´t think this is the cause of my issue. It should be the "paralell projection" commented above, but I couldn´t try it.

The supports engineers from Pimax are right now logged on my PC looking for the "not tracked" issue.

I should note that I only use one single basestation (1st gen) in mode A (60Hz) or mode b (30Hz). With the VivePro one single basestation was working perfectly.

1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

The supports engineers from Pimax are right now logged on my PC looking for the "not tracked" issue.

I should note that I only use one single basestation (1st gen) in mode A (60Hz) or mode b (30Hz). With the VivePro one single basestation was working perfectly.

I have 2 "lighthouses" but sometimes logging only 1 and tracking is still good for sim games.

Posted (edited)

WOW!!! finally I solved the problem after many hours with support team, not a hardware issue!!! just putting headset at the right distance!!!  

I was putting the headset at 1.2 meters, but it doesn´t initialize well (although later in play game is fine at 1 meter). At 1.5 meters everything is OK.

Here in the picture at 1.2 meter distance.

20190105_105057.thumb.jpg.f003212054fba8afabe0e476d34c6f45.jpg

More details here:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/how-to-solve-disconnect-or-not-tracked-of-headset-base-station-controller-randomly-image-follow-head-although-not-use-base-station-pitool-91/11776/16?u=chiliwili69

Yesterday I could took a 10 minutes QMB with the Spitfire in Kuban. 

Initial impressions:

- Normal FOV is quite enough, probably more than enough. Easier check six in fixed chair. (didn´t try large FOV). It is also a bit larger vertically.

- Very nice resolution, I will do picture through lenses later.

- Performance with 66% SS and factor=1.0 in Pitool is amazingly good, in the 60 to 90 fps without overclocking.

- After centering and adjusting IPD, the sweet spot is big. There is small distortion at edges but not noticeable when focused at the game.

- Not integrated sound, this is a bad thing. I am using Denon inear headphones.

Would I sell my Rift?  Probably Yes, but let me use it more this weekend

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

Curious to hear your indepth thoughts chiliwili69, esp since I also switched from 8K to 5K+.

Glad you solved your issue, I have indeed read being too close from the BS could cause detection problems.

Have new owners been using a 2080 graphics card with the Pimax?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Would I sell my Rift?  Probably Yes, but let me use it more this weekend

Looking forward to your longer review

🙂

How is the subjective resolution/claryness compared to the Rift? (only a bit, quite substantially, massive)

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

Pimax issued a lengthy mea culpa about various issues and included this statement:

Over the last month we have increased production capacity to the point where we expect to complete all Kickstarter production approximately mid January and because shipping capacity has also increased with an average of 100 units per day we expect all devices to ship by the end of this month.

Pimax mea culpa:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/apology-for-the-delays-with-kickstarter-campaign/12420?fbclid=IwAR1WcMLrMcOE5x9K6KiBLdYSmxVSRkY5AFUmxrwscyowXmFLkzfxFZQURSg

I have discovered that separating 0.5 cm the headset from my face the distortion at the edges disappeared completely.

Pimax uses three thicknesses for the foam: 11.5, 13 and 15 cm

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-did-some-backers-find-that-the-fov-seems-to-be-not-as-big-as-before/11884

They sent me only just one, the 11.5 but I will need 15cm or more. I have just ordered 18mm thickness cushion for Vive that can be used in the Pimax.

Meanwhile I have conducted a series of tests for resolution. I put it in another thread: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42343-pimax5k-vs-oculus-rift-spot-id-gauges-through-lens/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I have discovered that separating 0.5 cm the headset from my face the distortion at the edges disappeared completely.

Pimax uses three thicknesses for the foam: 11.5, 13 and 15 cm

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-did-some-backers-find-that-the-fov-seems-to-be-not-as-big-as-before/11884

They sent me only just one, the 11.5 but I will need 15cm or more. I have just ordered 18mm thickness cushion for Vive that can be used in the Pimax.

Meanwhile I have conducted a series of tests for resolution. I put it in another thread: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42343-pimax5k-vs-oculus-rift-spot-id-gauges-through-lens/

valuable observation!  My vivepro uses 16mm foam. I got a replacement 8mm "to get better FoV" per their advertisement, but ended up switching back to 16mm as the picture looked very odd the closer I got to the screens. Optics is no joke. 😅

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, Blitzen said:

Have new owners been using a 2080 graphics card with the Pimax?

Anybody with a 2080 running IL-2 with a 5K+ or 8K?

• Like 1

This is the 19mm cushion foam from HTC Vive that I purchased (3 units) for 16€  https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01N5JTSWZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_2xpoCbHSRWV4R

I doesn´t cover fully the nose gap but I am quite OK. It is confortable enough (at least for 90 min, which is the longest session I have had with the Pimax).

It is not pure leather, is synthetic, but OK.

Now, there is no distortion on the edges and the FOV that I lose by separating the headset 8mm more is negligible for the great FOV it has.

Definitely, I am going to sell my Rift and touch. (note that I almost don´t care too much about any other game or app in VR)

Here some pics:

20190108_194120.thumb.jpg.d9345a9af5a94ecca568bd6748809608.jpg

20190108_194153.thumb.jpg.a31035c62a91117e1789f8ca1dc1deac.jpg

20190108_194307.thumb.jpg.c597fa83fc36a214bb82e5a2629dc6d8.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone flying BoX with Pimax 5k+ and basic gtx 1080 gpu? How's the performance?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

how munch this 18 mm is shrinking when you press hmd to you face ?

That´s difficult to measure well.

The original foam is a bit more rigid than the 19mm.

So, the original 11.5mm when compressed in my face became about 8-9 mm.

The new one 19mm when compressed in my face became about 13-14 mm.

This new one leaves no marks on my face after 90 minutes usage. The Rift instead were leaving on my face some marks over my skin (everybody knew then I had been in VR).

But I am still trying to find a solution to avoid my nose to touch a bit the lenses (also happen with he original foam). I will put more foam in the bottom area or I will put less in the top area...

8 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

This new one leaves no marks on my face after 90 minutes usage. The Rift instead were leaving on my face some marks over my skin (everybody knew then I had been in VR).

But I am still trying to find a solution to avoid my nose to touch a bit the lenses (also happen with he original foam). I will put more foam in the bottom area or I will put less in the top area...

are you sure it's 19mm?  I haven't seen a single foam insert larger than 16mm. Even your link shows a 16mm one. 😄

I put the 6mm Vive cushion on the original pimax cushion. This fits perfectly. But of course it's easy to slip ...

10 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Today I added additional velcro layer between hmd and my htc 6mm vr cover facepad replacement , just aded like 5 mm and this almost eliminated distortions, they moved to far periphery of my vision.

So i can confirm , its works ! Thanks

d3AmhA4.jpg

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Chili what is the ipd range of the 5k+?

It is 59.9 to 72.6 mm according to the info displayed in the headset when moving the IPD wheel.

• Thanks 1

Here the perfect solution for the Pimax 5K+ 3Dmigoto Mod:

5x and 10x ZOOM  Normal FOV !!

w = 10.0                                          
y6 = 4.41                                 
y7 = -0.6        
x7 = 1.0            
w6 = 0.0

w = 5.0                                              
y6 = 1.95
y7 = -0.31        
x7 = 1.0        
w6 = 0.0

Edited by I./JG68_Sperber
  • Like 1

Last sunday I proudly installed the single basestation in the left wall at 1.8 meters elevation making some DIY. Now it is at 1.8 meters from my face. It should be OK.

I also connected a combined switch to turn off the basestation and Pimax at the same time.

This afternoon I also put some more foam (reusing some of the original foam from Pimax) in the bottom area, so me nose doesn´t touch the lenses.

And finally tested Il-2 VR.... and  ...I have a new problem now.!!

The menu is moving a bit with me when I turn the head! I had not this problem before!!

I have tried to delete Lighthouse folder, stop services, reinitialize device, recalibrate Pimax Tool and SteamVR, but it didn´t solve it.

This Pimax thing is being like an obstacle race!!  You don´t know what is coming next.:unsure:

Perhaps the heating of the top fans of the CPU liquid cooling is 30 cm below the basestations and it is affecting it.

Or maybe it is because it is not just centered in front of my face as it was before.

I hate to read Pimax forums again and again!!

Edited by chiliwili69