PatrickAWlson

Who has not tried PWCG?

Pitching PWCG to those who have never tried it.  If you have tried it and don't like it that's OK.  If you just don't play SP then that is obviously a good reason.  So this is directed at SP players who have not yet tried it.

PWCG is basically a heavily enhanced version of the Red Baron 3D campaign system brought to BoX.

It's free.

Fly for any side.

Fly any type of campaign (except transport).

Medals and promotions awarded.

Transfer at will between squadrons.

Take leave when you want.

Your pilot, squadron mates, etc. are all tracked.

Squadron mates have their lives within and outside of missions you fly.

Journal and squadron logs are kept so you can look at your career.

Highly configurable.

Missions are realistic and not repetitive (probably about 1M randomizations per mission).

Enemy flights are flying their missions.  No enemy flights waiting at predefined spots.  

Select squadron mates to fly your mission.

Change mission parameters if you wish.

Scrub a mission and generate a new one if you don't lie it.

Can be leader or wing man.

Intel map shows squadrons, etc.

Large land battles.

Random ground units going about their business.

There's more.

What PWCG is not:

It does not change history.

It does not have a completely persistent world (tracking ground units, supply chains, the state of structures. etc.)

Most common complaints about PWCG:

It is not what it is not :)

Don't like the UI.

Ground attack missions are sometimes tough to complete.

You have to switch between programs (PWCG and BoX)

So ... if you want to try a campaign and are willing to give it a shot, please do.  

Quick about me/resume:

I am a developer with 30 years experience.  

I think that most will give me credit have for being responsive to requests.  

I have been doing flight sim modifications since Red Baron 3D (Western Front Patch and MissionGen).

PWCG has been in development since 2009.  

It is a not trivial bit of software (around 70-80K lines of code).  

• Upvote 23

If you like SP and have missed it, I recommend to give it a try asap. It's great tool to fly a career in this game :)

PWCG is awesome. It's a great tool and Pat has put in a formidable amount of work to create and tweak it.

Highly recommended if you're into SP, that you take the time to learn to use it.

Agree. Been using it in ROF and BOx, it's freaking awesome.

Agreed as well, I started using it about a week or so ago and really love it!

agreed wholeheartedly, 99 % of my singleplayer time was spent with it.

Used it a lot when I was flying on RoF. Used a bit on BoS but had to stop because of the AI bs ganging up on the player. Too bad pat cant do much about it as it a problem for the devs to fix, a part from that, it really is an awesome tool!

I loved that you had your squadron and it kept track of all victories, missions, etc.

Used it a lot when I was flying on RoF. Used a bit on BoS but had to stop because of the AI bs ganging up on the player. Too bad pat cant do much about it as it a problem for the devs to fix, a part from that, it really is an awesome tool!

I loved that you had your squadron and it kept track of all victories, missions, etc.

PWCG is the way I play. This sim is great on its own and with PWCG  I think its the best. 

As for the ganging, the devs have done some to address it and PWCG has settings that reduce the problem further. I run into missions where there is ganging but they are few and sometimes happen only after my fellow squadron mates all get smoked. Not really a problem over the course of my current 80+ mission career.

Used a bit on BoS but had to stop because of the AI bs ganging up on the player.

Do I dare say that I think this has been fixed? I don't seem to have any problem with the AI ganging up on me.

There are lots of things to like about PWCG. I especially like the ability to reconfigure and tweak missions that the utility generates. I like to use pilotage to navigate during the mission, and the ability to easily move waypoints to landmarks is very useful.

I did get to try it and it's pretty awesome. I will definitely be trying it more when I get my computer set up in the truck. It's a really great piece of work.

Used it extensively in ROF and PWCG was/is excellent. Just getting back into BOX since all off the positive changes and I will be using PWCG extensively here also. I used it a few times before DX11 and new optimizations were applied, so I am excited to see if PWCG works better (FPS) than it did in inefficient BOX. The upcoming BOX Career mode will be good, but their is no reason to wait for it when we already have a superb PWCG available right now. Thanks Pat for all of your hard work and effort in providing PWCG.

S!Blade<

P.S. Pat, why can we not get PWCG to be started and work through the BOX GUI like we did in ROF? That makes it so much more user friendly.

P.S.S. will Kuban be added Pat? NM, I saw your post on PWCG 3.0.

P.S.S.S See post here and consider showing your appreciation.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31074-pwcg-30/?do=findComment&comment=509205

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Upvote 1

Do I dare say that I think this has been fixed? I don't seem to have any problem with the AI ganging up on me.

Yes, it's been fixed IMO as well. I flew a mission a couple of weeks ago and just to see if it had been fixed, I flew off while my flight got bounced. Sure enough I was able to escape while the AI furballed each other.

PWCG forever!!!! Thanx Pat!

P.S. Pat, why can we not get PWCG to be started and work through the BOX GUI like we did in ROF? That makes it so much more user friendly.

P.S.S. will Kuban be added Pat?

I dont use it as much as as i should as in vr coming out is vaguely inconvenient.

If it was part of il2 BoX id use it continuously.

It's superb.

Been wanting to try this, if I ever do play SP seriously I definitely will.

Will PWCG be obsolete once the 'official' career mode comes online? Doesn't impact my decision, just curious.

When ROF Career mode came out PWCG was still better, IMHO. There is just more going on in PWCG. Obviously we haven't experienced BOX Career Mode yet, but Pat is continually bettering PWCG so having two different Career options can only be a good thing for SP.

S!Blade<><

Is the Hs-129 together with the Kuban map available? :)

Not until Pat builds it. He's just one man, so things do take time.

PWCG is a good alternative to the current career mode what we have ingame. No doubt about it.

For us Bf-110/ Ju-87 Pilots the things looks a bit different. But this is not Pat´s fault. The crappy AI behaviour in BOx makes ground attacing missions a pain (mostly impossible) in this Sim.

Here is a thread about it in the PWCG section: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30519-bf-110-campaign/ (thx to Yogiflight & space_ghost for the workaround that helps a bit)

The other thing is the fact that the players flight starts with all planes behind in a row and already running engines on the runway like in the old DCG campaingns in the classic IL-2.

Its an immersion killer for me and one of the reasons why I dont use PWCG very often.

Looking looking forward to the 3.0 Version and I will have a look on it for sure.

Spend many hours in PWCG for Rise of Flight (now unified) especially when I figure out that I can run multiplayer campaign in coop mode with friends.

Is the Hs-129 together with the Kuban map available? :)

In progress, but getting the Kuban map in place is going to take some time.  Finger in the wind estimate is the end of October.  I have some of the other released planes incorporated into 3.0 as PWCG for Moscow and Stalingrad both extend into 1943.  The HS129 and Spitfire, however, don't fit on the existing maps.

• Upvote 3

hi, PatrickAWIson,

ok, saw the note that spit isn't part of the current build.

thank you,

peach

Edited by peachmonkey

Will PWCG be obsolete once the 'official' career mode comes online? Doesn't impact my decision, just curious.

I would say no. Comparing PWCG for RoF with the official RoF career mode, the official career is more polished and has online stats, while PWCG is more varied (PWCG has an Eastern Front career, while the official one does not), more flexible (a single PWCG career can see you move from the Western Front, to the Eastern Front, to the Channel, and back, while the official career is locked on the first map you choose), and easy to configure and mod.

Another good thing about PWCG is that you can fix many issues that may arise. For example, in my most recent mission, I shot down a Yak. However, another Bf-109 hit his tail with four MG bullets as he was going down, and he was credited with the victory, by the game itself. By editing two PWCG files, I made it so that I was credited for the victory, while making sure the other 109 was credited with another Yak that he actually did shoot down.

Edited by FFS_Cybermat47

In progress, but getting the Kuban map in place is going to take some time. Finger in the wind estimate is the end of October. I have some of the other released planes incorporated into 3.0 as PWCG for Moscow and Stalingrad both extend into 1943. The HS129 and Spitfire, however, don't fit on the existing maps.

Sorry didn't see it!

Great news, i'll say my thanks with donation.

where to unzip ? I uzipped it in program files//1C Game studios/Il2 folder - got the error message not intalled in game folder (after latest uodate) win7 64bit

where to unzip ? I uzipped it in program files//1C Game studios/Il2 folder - got the error message not intalled in game folder (after latest uodate) win7 64bit

Should go into the Batle of Stalingrad root folder.  On the same level as the bin and data directories.

I must admit, switching between programs does put me off.

I do like that it tracks your squad members though ?  

So hypothetically, if you were playing a career mode and you died or were captured, could you have a new character start at the same squadron as a battle casualty replacement the next day, expecting to see a familiar squadron roster ?

Because I would very much like that.

I must admit, switching between programs does put me off.

I do like that it tracks your squad members though ?  

So hypothetically, if you were playing a career mode and you died or were captured, could you have a new character start at the same squadron as a battle casualty replacement the next day, expecting to see a familiar squadron roster ?

Because I would very much like that.

Don't have that at this point, but it could be done.  What  I would probably do is have the player create a new campaign with an option to pick up from the last campaign.  At that point your new pilot would enter the same squadron with all of the same personnel.  Your previous pilot would simply be a former member.  If he was an ace of note he would continue to show up in top aces.  His exploits would continue to live on in the log book.  The journal would be wiped as that belongs to the player pilot.  You could continue to access the old campaign as a dead campaign.

• Upvote 3

Should go into the Batle of Stalingrad root folder. On the same level as the bin and data directories.

There is no Battle of Stalingrad folder after the new update. Just an IL2 folder. Inside there are folders like data, bin etc.