fiddlinjim

HELP: Need Best VR Settings for Hi-End Rig: HELP

I've got my CPU slightly OC'd to 4.5Ghz, 16GB Ram DDR3-1600 not OC'd. Yep, everything on max power settings, no ASW, Rift is the right guess. My task manager shows me no more than 60% load on a single core while flying, GPU is at 95-100% load.

In fact, the 4790K is one of the best CPU you currently can have for BOS. It has a great single thread performance. (that´s why I bought it)

I would recommend you to run a BOS performance test we created just to verify that our rig perform as expected with BOS. Otherwise, something is wrong with Hardware/software/settings.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/

I currently OC my 4790K to 4.6 with a mid-range CPU aircooler and microATX case. I am moving to a ATX case with better system fans and will experiment with higher OC at safe voltage and temps. (I always want more, human nature!)

I have a smooth experience at High settings and 1.7 SS in SteamVR. 

Hey guys, what is the maximum resolution of your BOS ? Mine is 1600 x 1024 which is absolutely weird. I think there is a problem with my installation, my VR headset doesnt render well the game, things are deformed.

How did you manage to run the game in your rifts ? Doesn't the low max resolution have a bad effect on VR?

DCS can play  VR at 1440p with no problem.

Edited by mirq

Hey guys, what is the maximum resolution of your BOS ? Mine is 1600 x 1024 which is absolutely weird. I think there is a problem with my installation, my VR headset doesnt render well the game, things are deformed.

How did you manage to run the game in your rifts ? Doesn't the low max resolution have a bad effect on VR?

DCS can play  VR at 1440p with no problem.

The resolution setting in BoS is only for your monitor, it has no affect on the resolution of the Rift which is fixed.

Some set the resolution lower than their monitor's native resolution, hoping to gain some performance that way. I did this, but can't really say I see much difference.

If images are deformed that is certainly not right, something is amiss. And it sounds like it is not setting up for your monitor resolution, what is the resolution of your monitor? 

Edited by dburne

Also, have you tried running the VR benchmark test outlined in this thread:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/

See the first post in that thread for the settings - there's some other good information in the rest of the thread, and it should give you a good feel for how your rig stacks up against others for VR purposes and what settings might be the optimal mix of inage quality and performance for your rig.

BoS looks fantastic in VR for me (and most of the folks who have good enough rigs to run it well), so whatever you're seeing is most likely an anomaly that you should be able to resolve with a little attention to your settings.

The resolution setting in BoS is only for your monitor, it has no affect on the resolution of the Rift which is fixed.

Some set the resolution lower than their monitor's native resolution, hoping to gain some performance that way. I did this, but can't really say I see much difference.

If images are deformed that is certainly not right, something is amiss. And it sounds like it is not setting up for your monitor resolution, what is the resolution of your monitor? 

My monitor is 2560 x 1440 and the VR headset the same.

Also, have you tried running the VR benchmark test outlined in this thread:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/

See the first post in that thread for the settings - there's some other good information in the rest of the thread, and it should give you a good feel for how your rig stacks up against others for VR purposes and what settings might be the optimal mix of inage quality and performance for your rig.

BoS looks fantastic in VR for me (and most of the folks who have good enough rigs to run it well), so whatever you're seeing is most likely an anomaly that you should be able to resolve with a little attention to your settings.

They are talking about resolutions of 1920 x 1080 there, which doesn\t appear in my list in settings -> graphics.

I have a 7700 K with 1080Ti, and I run DCS on a 2.5 K VR headset at max. I get 60 fps constantly there.

What the heck is going on with BOS. I just bought a Warthog joystick to play  this game because I heard that it is better suited for VR. It sounds like a joke for me now. A bad one.

Edited by mirq

They are talking about resolutions of 1920 x 1080 there, which doesn\t appear in my list in settings -> graphics.

I have a 7700 K with 1080Ti, and I run DCS on a 2.5 K VR headset at max. I get 60 fps constantly there.

What the heck is going on with BOS. I just bought a Warthog joystick to play this game because I heard that it is better suited for VR. It sounds like a joke for me now. A bad one.

Seriously try a reinstall and delete all files that remain in the folder. I know its a pain but it worked for me. Your problem does not appear to happen often, so chances are good a reinstall might fix things.

reinstalled 3 times. Third time I deleted the folder from steamlibrary where the game was. 

I disconnected the VR and the problem is the same for desktop version: max resolution 1600 x 1024

reinstalled 3 times. Third time I deleted the folder from steamlibrary where the game was. 

I disconnected the VR and the problem is the same for desktop version: max resolution 1600 x 1024

Hmm - maybe we should focus on getting it right on your monitor before we turn to tackling the VR stuff.  What happens when you just enter your desired monitor resolution directly into your startup.cfg file - how does it look on your monitor?   (Not sure how that works if you have the Steam version - I don't use Steam for BoS myself).

What the heck is going on with BOS. I just bought a Warthog joystick to play  this game because I heard that it is better suited for VR. It sounds like a joke for me now. A bad one.

You had mentioned a Rift in another post, is it the Oculus Rift that you are running?

Open the startup file in notepad*:

IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad > data > startup.cfg

Under [KEY = graphics] change the following to the following for 1920x1080.

full_height = 1080

full_width = 1920

Save the config file.  Start the game and see if it works - it should.

*In case you don't trust yourself / want to be safe, save a copy of startup.cfg to the desktop so you can replace the altered file with the original if required.

Edit: this change will only affect the monitor, not VR.  To change VR resolutions you want to change:

or_height = 1600

or_width = 1344

On topic of settings... I changed SteamVR SS to 0.6 and put ingame AA to x2 and everything was perfectly legible and clear.  Not as crisp as with nicer settings obviously, but absolutely playable.

For those of us with the Rx480 it helps a bit.  Haven't tried this online yet. 

Edited by 19//Tuesday

Open the startup file in notepad*:

IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad > data > startup.cfg

Under [KEY = graphics] change the following to the following for 1920x1080.

full_height = 1080

full_width = 1920

You should also change the lines "win_height = " and "win_width = ", so you don't have to run full screen.

To change VR resolutions you want to change:

or_height = 1600

or_width = 1344

I'm curious about this one - I've never seen a discussion about changing these lines and I'm not sure why you would want to.  My lines read as follows - "or_height = 2427" and "or_width = 2038", and I don't remember ever having messed with them, but I don't really know where the startup.cfg got those numbers.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

You should also change the lines "win_height = " and "win_width = ", so you don't have to run full screen.

I'm curious about this one - I've never seen a discussion about changing these lines and I'm not sure why you would want to. My lines read as follows - "or_height = 2427" and "or_width = 2038", and I don't remember ever having messed with them, but I don't really know where the startup.cfg got those numbers.

Might be due to the AA setting in the graphivs menu??

Advocate for more api modules to improve performance, and not have 2 instances running

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf

As regards VRheadset, I am using Pimax B1, which has a resolution of 2560 x 1440

But forget about VR for the moment.

Let's just have my game run at FHD orQHD which is the resolution of my monitor.

Strange things are happening like following:

1. with startup.cfg unalterated, the max resolution in settings is 1600 x 1024.

2. If I change in startup:

full_height = 1080
full_width = 1920

then when I reopen the game, resolution defaults to 480 x 640 (pure VGA) but, strangely enough, the list contains now at the top of it 1920 x 1080, which is unselectable.(defaults again to VGA)

3. If I change startup like:
full_height = 1111
full_width = 2222

the same thing is happening, it defaults to VGA and the weird resolution appears int the list.

Made progress:

Desktop issue solved: changed Display Port cable to a HDMI cable. Now the game has FHD and QHD resolutions listed and working.

VR issue still in place: objects are changing shape as I move my head. I will look to see if somehow Pimax has problems with this game.

Update: problem solved.

I did a reset of the supersampling in SteamVR to 1, for the moment.

I run Bos at maximum graphics with all settings at max. I don't know yet how to print FPS, but the fluidity is very good.

Case closed. (Though, i can't imagine why a DP cable is not suitable for the game)

post-145418-0-46818400-1508912197_thumb.png

post-145418-0-76081200-1508912946_thumb.png

Edited by mirq

I don't know yet how to print FPS, but the fluidity is very good.

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

You can display the fps ingame by pressing Backspace, it will appear a green number in the right upper corner.

Some people in this forum have the old Pimax headset (ie known as Pimax 4K, ie 2 eyes x2K). You Pimax B1 is similar but it is the business edition. (so 60Hz, no positional tracking).

There are some posts about the Pimax 4K in this forum. You can review them.

BOS is officially supporting Oculus Rift and HTC Vive so far. It uses OpenVR via SteamVR. Hopefully new devices that will appear in future might be compatible but they might require some dev effotrt.

You should also change the lines "win_height = " and "win_width = ", so you don't have to run full screen.

I'm curious about this one - I've never seen a discussion about changing these lines and I'm not sure why you would want to.  My lines read as follows - "or_height = 2427" and "or_width = 2038", and I don't remember ever having messed with them, but I don't really know where the startup.cfg got those numbers.

Good point.  I only used windowed for VR, so I instinctively ignored those lines in the startup - my mistake!

Interesting!  Perhaps with DSR on that is the last resolution it gave to me, hence why the numbers are different between us?

Edited by 19//Tuesday

Interesting!  Perhaps with DSR on that is the last resolution it gave to me, hence why the numbers are different between us?

Hmm - maybe - I don't use the DSR thing so I don't know what its effect(s) might be.

Would be nice to get some guidance from the devs as to what all those OR-related lines in startup.cfg are and where the numbers come from.

I checked, it seems to be dynamic and tied to the supersampling we have selected in SteamVR.

The ratio between width and height is always the same. Just like the IPD, this is changed on the fly to have the picture not get warped. 

Come to think of it, wasn't there a user somewhere who had a Pimax with a warped picture in IL2? Maybe his startup.cfg is on read-only, or IPD didn't get called correctly?

Say thank you to those who helped you.

"Case closed" isnt a way to end endless moaning.

Blame your poorman's VR. Not the game.

Pimax is a cheap VR imitation.

I have both htc and rift. I cant be bothered by some cheap vr imitation.

I have both htc and rift. I cant be bothered by some cheap vr imitation.

I don\t know why I bother with you anyway. 

But as a starter, please look in a dictionary about what 'imitation' means, then try to figure out which part of Pimax 4K or 8K looks, functions, smells or whatever,  like an imitation.

Most probably you speak what you don\t know. Just try one of the older Pimax and you never come back to Rift, cause unlike you, I've experimented both of them

Edited by mirq

Lol, kind of brings back memories of my youth when I drove a Kawasaki motorcycle and some of my friends drove Honda or Yamaha. We each spent a ton of time trying to convince the other their bike was crap!

No matter what one prefers, each individual can certainly try and make up their mind which device they prefer for their use.

No right or wrong, just personal preference.

Edited by dburne

I don\t know why I bother with you anyway.

But as a starter, please look in a dictionary about what 'imitation' means, then try to figure out which part of Pimax 4K or 8K looks, functions, smells or whatever, like an imitation.

Most probably you speak what you don\t know. Just try one of the older Pimax and you never come back to Rift, cause unlike you, I've experimented both of them

Nah, i already tried pimax from a colleague. I agree with him that its a cheap VR imitation.

Fyi, i make these comments to ensure that il2 players who are considering vr be not fooled and waste money on the vr imitation, namely pimax.

Sinned, the new pimax device 8k looks quite interesting though for seated gaming. Even though I don't like their fake trickery of masking a lower input resolution with an upscaling on the screens (since when has this ever been useful at any point in time, I challenge you), just to call it 8k (it isn't 8k not even in the sum), it still looks interesting due to its wide Fov.

Hi  :salute:

You will run into troubles if you do not stick to a few rules we have found out about. Crashes and jittery ahve different causalities, which we will treat here as well.

Your i7 7700K should run with at least 4.6GHz during IL-2 VR gameplay...... .

Now to your IL-2 settings for your 1080ti:

Preset High. The CPU cannot handle Ultra within 10km of furballs, the fps would hit rock bottom. HDR off. SSAO off. Sharpen off. AA to 0x. Mirror to simple or one step higher. Shadows High. Terrain Detail 4x. Terrain Sharpen on. Target FPS off. Render target 1. Gamma 1.0 to 0.9. Fullscreen off (VR mirror should show as windowed), resolution 1024x768..

Please HELP - How do I do this?

1- Now to your IL-2 settings for your 1080ti:

2 - Preset High. Done Got it thanks 

3 - HDR off.  Box unchecked Got it thanks 

4 - SSAO off. Box unchecked Got it thanks

5 - Sharpen off. Box unchecked Got it thanks 

6 - AA to 0x. Help, Done if you mean uncheck the antialiasing box?

7 - Mirror to simple or one step higher. Done

8 - Shadows High. Done

9 - Terrain Detail 4x. Help, Done "IF" you mean "Distant landscape detail"

10 -Terrain Sharpen on. Help, Done "IF" you mean "Distant landscape filter" 

11 -Target FPS off. Help, Can Not see this.. it is grey and un-clickable and set to 60 Target FPS

12 - Render target 1. Help, Where is this I do not see it

13 - Gamma 1.0 to 0.9. Help, Where is this I do not see it

14 -Fullscreen off Done Got it thanks  

15 - (VR mirror should show as windowed), resolution 1024x768Done Got it thanks  

Edited by Pshootr

13 - Gamma 1.0 to 0.9.,

Done, found it thanks!

Can anyone hekp with the rest of my questions?

They are done. Was referring to lines in startup.cfg, hence the different words. 11 doesn't matter btw.

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf

Now I'm no expert but just for the benefit of those who are like me, I can't state enough the importance of changing the ASW settings, it was about the one thing I didn't try and I kept getting this jittering that would come and go.

The best way I've found is to play with the different ASW settings in the Oculus Debug Tool, found here:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe

I've found that simply disabling ASW isn't always a enough, I would recommend playing around with all 4 settings. But as I say I'm no expert, this is just my experience.

My own problem is I find I'm constantly having to change the ASW settings during a single flight to get the best results I have found that sometimes it works better on set to auto, sometimes it's better set to disabled and limited to 45fps, though different settings seem to give different problems such as a kind of ghosting with head movement or moving objects/landscape in the disabled modes. (CPU, GPU & RAM are never at 100% - any tips would be welcome.)

I just use the Oculus Tray Tool to turn ASW off in a profile for BoS, I find it gives me the optimum experience.

How do I get to the advanced settings ? (already downloaded the program)

Oculus starts in my Library and doesnt show the advanced settings anywhere.

How do I get to the advanced settings ? (already downloaded the program)

Oculus starts in my Library and doesnt show the advanced settings anywhere.

I think you must be thinking about Steam VR advanced settings... just start Steam VR and go to the settings menu.

I personally don't use Steam VR settings for my Rift, as I use the Oculus Tray Tool for that. Oculus does not have an advanced settings menu.

I would use only one or the other for settings, as setting something in both may cause some conflicts.

Edited by dburne

Now to your SteamVR settings:

Steam SS to 3.2  (this replaces ingame AA and Sharpen!)

Advanced SuperSample Filtering off (removes blur and allows better IDing)

Tracking space: Sit/standing place (smallest).

Where do I find these settings?  Or are these for vive owners only?

Edited by SYN_Mike77

Now to your SteamVR settings:

Steam SS to 3.2  (this replaces ingame AA and Sharpen!)

Advanced SuperSample Filtering off (removes blur and allows better IDing)

Tracking space: Sit/standing place (smallest).

Where do I find these settings?  Or are these for vive owners only?

Go into SteamVR and click on the dropdown indicated below, which will pop up a menu on which you should click "Settings":

post-12147-0-69286400-1514754338.jpg

Then click on Developer and you will get those settings (the room size one is down lower on that same list below):

post-12147-0-69283900-1514754373_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks again Panthercules. I've searched online a bunch for steam vr settings/advanced settings and only get directions for "open vr" settings or showed a picture of the ss slider with no directions how they got there, was about to lose my mind! thank you!!!! 

I just upgraded to a new PC from a 7700k to an 8700k OC to 4.8Ghz and a gtx 1080 Ti. I just updated to 3.001 and now when I try campaign everything is very jittery. Is anyone else having the same issues with the campaign play while in VR (oculus rift)?

I have load line calibration at 6 and AVX offset at -3. I see that it's best to disable the AVX Offset, which is what I did, and it stopped the jitteriness somewhat, but is it good to keep the AVX Disabled since I have the CPU Overclocked? Also, should I change the Load Line Calibration to 1 or 2, from 6 where I have it now?

My CPU is NOT delidded and I'm running my 8700k at 4.8GHZ with 1.32 Voltage with a Corsair H100i Liquid cooler. I ran IL-2 for about 30-45 minutes and it didnt go over 70 deg C, so I think I'm ok with the heat. I just hope nothing goes wrong with no AVX Offset now.

Any suggestions?

Edited by GunneryAce