fiddlinjim

HELP: Need Best VR Settings for Hi-End Rig: HELP

I have started using my Rift-VR in BOS and BOK and have been encountering some crash/jittery/crazy problems etc..

Currently my graphic settings are ULTRA and all other options at MAXIMUM based upon  using my 1080P monitor.

Would appreciate advice and suggestions for best settings using the Rift with my new rig 

Specifications are:

Win 10, i7-7700K Liguid Cooled, GTX 1080Ti, 32 GB, 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, TM Warthog, Saitek Pedals, 

Thanks, Jim

You should really have no trouble and smooth gameplay with that rig.

Are you running any SS in either Steam VR or Oculus?

What video drivers for that 1080 Ti are you using?

Is this a new Rift you just got set up or have you been using it a while , with any other games ?

• Upvote 1

Hi  :salute:

You will run into troubles if you do not stick to a few rules we have found out about. Crashes and jittery ahve different causalities, which we will treat here as well.

Your i7 7700K should run with at least 4.6GHz during IL-2 VR gameplay. Make sure to disable any AVX offset in your BIOS, very important. CPU Load-Line-Calibration must be set to 1 or 2 (fixated!) if you use water-cooling to avoid VRM temp spikes.

Make sure your DDR4 RAM runs at its proper XMP, a speed of at least ~3000 MHz is recommended to not throttle the system.

Before playing, enable "Maximum Performance" in Window's energy settings. Go into advanced settings, disable "Allow selective USB suspend".

After this, go into your "Device Manager", select "USB-Controller", and check out properties of all Generic USB hubs. Some will have a tab on "energy setting". Make sure they all have no check at "allow to suspend device to save energy".

This will treat the camera jittery. If tracking problems persist, consider buying a powered Inateck USB Controller/Card - google for models that fit to the Rift.

Use latest Video drivers for 1080ti.

Now to your IL-2 settings for your 1080ti:

Preset High. The CPU cannot handle Ultra within 10km of furballs, the fps would hit rock bottom. HDR off. SSAO off. Sharpen off. AA to 0x. Mirror to simple or one step higher. Shadows High. Terrain Detail 4x. Terrain Sharpen on. Target FPS off. Render target 1. Gamma 1.0 to 0.9. Fullscreen off (VR mirror should show as windowed), resolution 1024x768.

Find the Oculus Home executable, go to properties, its compatibility tab, enable "always start as administrator". This means you can start IL-2 through Steam without Oculus Home being loaded automatically as well.

Now to your SteamVR settings:

Steam SS to 3.2  (this replaces ingame AA and Sharpen!)

Advanced SuperSample Filtering off (removes blur and allows better IDing)

Tracking space: Sit/standing place (smallest).

Oculus Tray Tool, in case you use it: Don't, and keep its SS off. Don't use its features like "cpu priority", they reduce fps in IL-2.

Ingame, you load into the cockpit, and before or after starting the engine (not during the procedure) you hold CTRL+1(numpad) for a second, or press it multiple times, this disables ASW.

Check your fps by pressing backspace during flight. This costs you 1 or 2 fps while the counter is shown. Always fly without HUD, it is a crazy performance eater (speaking 15-25fps). You can set "Objectives/Map" each to a button on your joystick, to turn it on and off during flight.

Avoid any shaders like reshade or 3dmigoto vr shader, they cost a lot of fps and make the translational movements of your head jittery.

If your movement jitters, go into Oculus Home and redo the sensors setup. Deviating the sensors positions just once will lead to these issues. Bolt them into the wall, or fixate them with velcro.

Try this - don't forget anything - there are many reasons for each setting, we have found out over days and weeks of fiddling around in the background. Have fun ! :)

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 10

You will run into troubles if you do not stick to a few rules we have found out about. Crashes and jittery ahve different causalities, which we will treat here as well.

Your i7 7700K should run with at least 4.6GHz during IL-2 VR gameplay. Make sure to disable any AVX offset in your BIOS, very important. CPU Load-Line-Calibration must be set to 1 or 2 (fixated!) if you use water-cooling to avoid VRM temp spikes.

Make sure your DDR4 RAM runs at its proper XMP, a speed of at least ~3000 MHz is recommended to not throttle the system.

Before playing, enable "Maximum Performance" in Window's energy settings. Go into advanced settings, disable "Allow selective USB suspend".

After this, go into your "Device Manager", select "USB-Controller", and check out properties of all Generic USB hubs. Some will have a tab on "energy setting". Make sure they all have no check at "allow to suspend device to save energy".

This will treat the camera jittery. If tracking problems persist, consider buying a powered Inateck USB Controller/Card - google for models that fit to the Rift.

Preset High. The CPU cannot handle Ultra within 10km of furballs, the fps would hit rock bottom. HDR off. SSAO off. Sharpen off. AA to 0x. Mirror to simple or one step higher. Shadows High. Terrain Detail 4x. Terrain Sharpen on. Target FPS off. Render target 1. Gamma 1.0 to 0.9. Fullscreen off (VR mirror should show as windowed), resolution 1024x768.

Find the Oculus Home executable, go to properties, its compatibility tab, enable "always start as administrator". This means you can start IL-2 through Steam without Oculus Home being loaded automatically as well.

Oculus Tray Tool, in case you use it: Don't, and keep its SS off. Don't use its features like "cpu priority", they reduce fps in IL-2.

Ingame, you load into the cockpit, and before or after starting the engine (not during the procedure) you hold CTRL+1(numpad) for a second, or press it multiple times, this disables ASW.

Check your fps by pressing backspace during flight. This costs you 1 or 2 fps while the counter is shown. Always fly without HUD, it is a crazy performance eater (speaking 15-25fps). You can set "Objectives/Map" each to a button on your joystick, to turn it on and off during flight.

Avoid any shaders like reshade or 3dmigoto vr shader, they cost a lot of fps and make the translational movements of your head jittery.

If your movement jitters, go into Oculus Home and redo the sensors setup. Deviating the sensors positions just once will lead to these issues. Bolt them into the wall, or fixate them with velcro.

Try this - don't forget anything - there are many reasons for each setting, we have found out over days and weeks of fiddling around in the background. Have fun ! :)

Fenris,

Thanks for the suggestions and answers.   This was exactly what I was looking for and I have been incorporating them into my IL2 setup and things are certainly improving.

• Upvote 1

Hi Fenris, Just a question, you suggest Fullscreen off. For me Fullscreen ON gives me about 5fps improvement. I wonder if that's because I have 4k display? i.e. when set to low-res full screen it's using less GPU (1080p) than windowed where windows desktop is at 4K??

That's very interesting indeed, thanks for your findings! I preferred windowed on low res because it allows me to quickly switch tasks - to listen to music, select another song, etc.

I am also on a 4k, but running the desktop on lower resolution as well (1440p) because I also use it to read a lot - third party apps often rescale terribly. :)

I will run the test track later with your method, see if u can improve the avg fps ;)

I didn't see much difference in my benchmark testing in terms of FPS between fullscreen on or off, but I did find that having fullscreen on seemed to mess up the working of OVRDrop for insertion of the map into VR, so I've gone back to having fullscreen off at this point.

• Upvote 1

Fenris,

Many thanks, you just saved me a bunch of time and effort getting started with my new Rift. Although the in cockpit experience is an epiphany, target ID is a real challenge.

S!

Don't worry, it is only in the beginning. A pilot basically has to relearn identification, because it is different. After a while, with high enough SS (and no AA/sharpen), he will have relearnt identifying, by plane shape and size. Even if you knew these things before, the transition from a monitor takes time: Radiators, wingshape, nose-length, planesize, tails, will tell you sooner than later, what you are looking at.

• Upvote 1

Kameraden,

Oddly my Target Framerate is locked at 144hz, no drop down turning it off (solved by starting game outside VR mode).

S!

Edited by II./JG1_Lipfert

I tried out your settings but the cabin gauges are pretty blurry.

I have set up the following on my 6700K with 1080TI (aorus, oc'ed to 2,025, water cooled) and it has much better clarity in the cockpit, albeit NO Mirrors (mirrors kill the performance pretty badly):

- BIOS is like yours

- SteamVR SS is set to 1.0

- Oculus traytool:  1.6 over sampling, AWS auto, USB power high

- BOS:

- ULTRA

- SSAO= off

- HDR= on

- Sharpen= On

- Shadows= Medium

- Distant Landscape detail= x4

- Landscape filter= Sharp

- Grass quality= distant

- Target FPS= 100

- Dynamic resolution= Full

- AA= x4

- Gamma= 0.8

I have set up the following on my 6700K with 1080TI (aorus, oc'ed to 2,025, water cooled) and it has much better clarity in the cockpit, albeit NO Mirrors (mirrors kill the performance pretty badly):

- BIOS is like yours

- BOS:

- ULTRA

- SSAO= off

- HDR= on

- Sharpen= On

- Shadows= Medium

- Grass quality= distant

- Target FPS= 100

- AA= x4

- Gamma= 0.8

I would not set a target FPS for VR.

Edited by dburne

any reason why you wouldn't?

i think I tried with 60, then went to 80 and the finally to 100..  And it's been the most optimal for me..

i'll turn it off to see if there's any difference..

I would not set a target FPS for VR.

- BIOS is like yours

- BOS:

- ULTRA

- SSAO= off

- HDR= on

- Sharpen= On

- Shadows= Medium

- Grass quality= distant

- Target FPS= 100

- AA= x4

- Gamma= 0.8

Ultra + AAx4 + HDR1 + Sharpen1 give much blurrier gauges than AAx0 + HDR0 + Sharpen0. The biggest problem however is that airplanes will blend into the background behind them, they merge with clouds, ground right below, etc. That is due to AA. And you see enemies against the sky later as well - Sharpen removes part around the far aircrafts and adds a white frame, letting them blend further into sky and clouds. Last but not least, HDR washes out colours further and adds brightness, which creates godray artifacts and halation in Rift/Vive. Of course you are free to use every setting you want. You've been warned  ;)

Kameraden,

By all means experiment, but I can vouch for Fenris_Wolf and his settings. With my present configuration it's working very well. I just have this bug where Oculus is not shutting down il2.exe when I exit (spinning circle). Requires a reboot everytime to reset, it's a pain but I can live with it for now.

VoiceAttack is super important now, taking care of all those commands that were second nature on the keyboard.

S!

Kameraden,

By all means experiment, but I can vouch for Fenris_Wolf and his settings. With my present configuration it's working very well. I just have this bug where Oculus is not shutting down il2.exe when I exit (spinning circle). Requires a reboot everytime to reset, it's a pain but I can live with it for now.

VoiceAttack is super important now, taking care of all those commands that were second nature on the keyboard.

S!

Does anyone have a decent VA profile they're willing to share?

Does anyone have a decent VA profile they're willing to share?

Happy to share when it's prime time, still WIP right now.

S!

Happy to share when it's prime time, still WIP right now.

S!

Yay! Look forward to it!

Kameraden,

S!

Thanks! By the way, the bug is not because of the settings. I'd suggest you try putting Oculus Home into forced Administrator mode, and keep OTT off, so that both never need to start. Maybe that fixes it. Also try updating the drivers for everything.  :salute:

I tried your settings and I don't think it's for me. In any configuration where I disable AA the game sparkles like crazy. AA softens all of that and makes it look softer but still very clear (up close). Having disabled the eye candy for the sole purpose of 'spotting' is killing the overall enjoyment factor. Yes I can see some black pixels of the spotted objects way way out but the amount of pixel twinkling grosses me out.. :) 

Ultra + AAx4 + HDR1 + Sharpen1 give much blurrier gauges than AAx0 + HDR0 + Sharpen0. The biggest problem however is that airplanes will blend into the background behind them, they merge with clouds, ground right below, etc. That is due to AA. And you see enemies against the sky later as well - Sharpen removes part around the far aircrafts and adds a white frame, letting them blend further into sky and clouds. Last but not least, HDR washes out colours further and adds brightness, which creates godray artifacts and halation in Rift/Vive. Of course you are free to use every setting you want. You've been warned  ;)

For those that prefer the graphics fidelity of a 4k setup over VR I say you are not alone. You are in a group of much smaller numbers but, there are others who feel VR has a way to go and that surely is true. This aviator is not one of them. Since dawning the CV1 over 16 months ago I haven't been able to enjoy 2d and have not regretted it for a minute. Flying in BOX, DCS and Elite Dangerous. Driving Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa and IRacing. Playing Robo recal, Lone Echo, Doom BFG, Alien isolation, and The Climb. Shooting pool in a bar, Playing golf and so many other things I wouldn't care to play in 2d regardless of graphical short comings. There is just so much more to VR than graphics. That said, with a 1080ti, I find at pixel density 2 the graphics of most VR titles look quite good in my opinion. This gamer won't go back. 

Those who prefer to wait or prefer to run 4k setups should continue to enjoy their choice without prejudice. Game on.

• Upvote 2

How does it run online flying your favourite server, if you fly online?

Initially I only flew the campaigns in VR offline. I also prefer the look of AA and sharpen and run at a High setting with SS at 2.0 for smooth online gameplay. I actually struggled to notice the difference with only SS at higher settings so much so I thought it wasn't working and reinstalled it. Once reinstalled it was the same and I couldn't notice the differences at a higher setting except performance got worse so have settled on the above for now. Maybe I need some glasses!

Ah Robo recall keeps calling us back to test our gunslinger skills...only need a spaghetti western game next.."you laughing at my mule?"

Edited by EAF19_Swoop
  • Upvote 1

How does it run online flying your favourite server, if you fly online?

Initially I only flew the campaigns in VR offline. I also prefer the look of AA and sharpen and run at a High setting with SS at 2.0 for smooth online gameplay. I actually struggled to notice the difference with only SS at higher settings so much so I thought it wasn't working and reinstalled it. Once reinstalled it was the same and I couldn't notice the differences at a higher setting except performance got worse so have settled on the above for now. Maybe I need some glasses!

Ah Robo recall keeps calling us back to test our gunslinger skills...only need a spaghetti western game next.."you laughing at my mule?"

I too tried the high SS/no AA or sharpen approach Fenris prefers, but I didn't like it as much so I went back to a lower SS (2.3 in my case) and AA=4 with Sharpen on in game.  Maybe Fenris' settings are more useful for MP (I don't do MP in BoS so I can't say), but I like the way the other approach looks better in SP.

Robo Recall was a hoot for a while, and I guess that other freebie (Dead and Buried) almost qualifies as a spaghetti western game (with ghosts anyway), but TBH I haven't found time to go back to them since I started messing with BoS in VR.  I probably will from time to time though, if only to get some use out of the touch controllers.  But it just tends to make me a little sad that they haven't created fully touch-controllable cockpits for BoS yet - I know it would probably be an uneconomic expenditure of resources given the relatively few VR players there are so far, but it would be so awesome if they did manage to do it someday!

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Thanks! By the way, the bug is not because of the settings. I'd suggest you try putting Oculus Home into forced Administrator mode, and keep OTT off, so that both never need to start. Maybe that fixes it. Also try updating the drivers for everything.  :salute:

How does one put Oculus Home in Forced Admin mode? I run as Administrator, but have not forced anything by Command Line.

S!

How does one put Oculus Home in Forced Admin mode? I run as Administrator, but have not forced anything by Command Line.

S!

Right click the icon

Properties

Shortcut

Special

Check the box for run as admin

Right click the icon

Properties

Shortcut

Special

Check the box for run as admin

That part is covered thanks, just wondered if FW was talking about some other function in Oculus I had not found yet.

S!

I tried your settings and I don't think it's for me. In any configuration where I disable AA the game sparkles like crazy. AA softens all of that and makes it look softer but still very clear (up close). Having disabled the eye candy for the sole purpose of 'spotting' is killing the overall enjoyment factor. Yes I can see some black pixels of the spotted objects way way out but the amount of pixel twinkling grosses me out.. :)

If you followed through with my initial post, which includes the rather high SS utilization and other things, this sparkle wouldn't be there!! ;)

P.s. For viability, also test your final settings over Moscow map near a forest, spawn in SP, put yaks and peshkas at 1000m, spawn yourself at 5000m, and look down to spot them. This together with good average fps on this map and decent ID means you got it pretty well.

Edit: I just saw this post 3 months later. Sorry, came across quite rude. Fixed!  :salute:

I have flown the last several missions of my PWCG Campaign with some new settings, I basically turned off SS, cranked up AA x4, graphics on High and everything else pretty much maxed out. No SSAO and no HDR.

I am getting superb performance with framerates at 90 fps the bulk of the time in these missions..

Nice thing about all these settings along with SS, is being able to try different things. No right or wrong way either, what one enjoys is what matters!

;)

I try not to spend too much time fiddling with them though (already 44 missions into my campaign and having a blast).

• Upvote 2

I have flown the last several missions of my PWCG Campaign with some new settings, I basically turned off SS, cranked up AA x4, graphics on High and everything else pretty much maxed out. No SSAO and no HDR.

I am getting superb performance with framerates at 90 fps the bulk of the time in these missions..

Nice thing about all these settings along with SS, is being able to try different things. No right or wrong way either, what one enjoys is what matters!

;)

I try not to spend too much time fiddling with them though (already 44 missions into my campaign and having a blast).

Interesting.  After reading your post above I ran a couple of tests at my usual "maxed out" settings except I dropped SS from my usual 2.3 down to 1.0.  Not too surprisingly, I gained about 10 FPS Avg (16-17% improvement), which would come in handy in compensating for the FPS cost of using OVRDrop for map purposes.  More surprisingly, I watched the last test run with my headset on and I couldn't really tell much visual quality difference when running at SS=1.0.  Probably the cockpit dials/gauges were a little blurrier, but not unacceptably so.  I may have to try some PWCG missions on these settings and see how they look.

I will also try doing a mission on the Moscow map like FW suggested above, to check out the spotting differences between the various settings.

I dropped SS from my usual 2.3 down to 1.0

Dropping from 2.3 to 1.0 (SteamVR SS) is a quite drastic reduction. Probably at 1.8 you will also gain those 10 fps.

Once you determine what are the ingame BoX settings (including OVRDrop) you like, the best thing is to run a series of tests starting with SS=1 with increments of 0.2 and see when your fps drops.

Fenris_Wolf,

Do you use NVIDIA Inspector? If so what are your settings to match original post above with recommendations.

S!

Dropping from 2.3 to 1.0 (SteamVR SS) is a quite drastic reduction. Probably at 1.8 you will also gain those 10 fps.

Once you determine what are the ingame BoX settings (including OVRDrop) you like, the best thing is to run a series of tests starting with SS=1 with increments of 0.2 and see when your fps drops.

I ran a series of tests with my new OC=4.8 settings, with SteamVR SS = 1.0 to 2.2.  I saw a fairly steady drop in FPS throughout that range (at my "maxed out" settings) - roughly 1-1.5 FPS drop per .2 increase in SS.  However, although temps, fan speeds and noise are looking good and CPUID says I'm running at 4.8, I'm beginning to wonder about these latest OC 4.8 results - by the time I got to SS=2.2 at OC 4.8, the results are more than 4 FPS lower than my previous tests with SS = 2.3 at OC = 4.6, and are almost 9 FPS lower than my tests at OC = 4.9.  

I suspect something has gone awry with some setting somewhere.  I think I'll start over again with default settings in BIOS and just try manually typing in 48 again to see what happens.

[EDIT]  After resetting back to defaults in BIOS and starting over again manually OC'ing to 4.8 I'm back to getting results commensurate with my earlier OC tests but (with my new Noctua fans) with better temps. Even the site selling delidded 7700X's was saying not to run AVX at higher than 4.8, so I think I'll be leaving it at that.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Questions about Steam VR, under Performance Perf Heuristic Active is checked. Any idea what that is?

Also in Fenris_Wolf's post above he mentions "Render target 1", where is that located?

S!

Also in Fenris_Wolf's post above he mentions "Render target 1", where is that located?

I think he meant dynamic resolution factor = 1 (i.e. dynamic resolution disabled) in BOS graphics options

A quick question about Nvidia control panel.

I think it was recommended somewhere to have maximum pre rendered frames set to 1

Ant idea about 'Virtual reality pre rendered frames' ? 

A quick question about Nvidia control panel.

I think it was recommended somewhere to have maximum pre rendered frames set to 1

Ant idea about 'Virtual reality pre rendered frames' ? 

I think the default of 1 is probably best.

So with Fenris settings this is almost unplayable for me - I get about 40-60 fps and a lot of microstuttering / frame drops up to the point where everything that is moving fast is just a blurry cloud.

With SS set to 1.0 and no AA & medium settings, it never gets stable 90fps. Always 80-72, jumping around like crazy. In addition to that, the microstutter never disappears, even when it shows 90fps.

It should do better with a I7-4790K & gtx1080, right? (btw the microstutter is noticable in WarThunder [yeah, I know] as well, but a lot less)

Ah and the game just ignores my camera settings and enables the head movement limit inside the cockpit even when the disable button is checked, pretty much kills any immersion left.

Any advise for fixing that?

So with Fenris settings this is almost unplayable for me - I get about 40-60 fps and a lot of microstuttering / frame drops up to the point where everything that is moving fast is just a blurry cloud.

With SS set to 1.0 and no AA & medium settings, it never gets stable 90fps. Always 80-72, jumping around like crazy. In addition to that, the microstutter never disappears, even when it shows 90fps.

It should do better with a I7-4790K & gtx1080, right? (btw the microstutter is noticable in WarThunder [yeah, I know] as well, but a lot less)

Ah and the game just ignores my camera settings and enables the head movement limit inside the cockpit even when the disable button is checked, pretty much kills any immersion left.

Any advise for fixing that?

Yes you should be getting better. I have a 4820k and never see a single stutter and I get 90 fps quite often. And that is with SS at 1.4 in Oculus Tray Tool, High Settings, and 4x AA. I do not run SSAO or HDR.

What speed are you running that 4790k? Any overclocking? My 4820k is at 4.50 GHz.

What ram do you have and what speed?

Did you set Nvidia Control Panel to " Prefer Maximum Performance" for BoS?

Have you tried running with ASW disabled? ( assuming Rift).

Also regarding head movement, if you flying  on Expert settings the limited head movement is forced on.

Edited by dburne

Also regarding head movement, if you flying  on Expert settings the limited head movement is forced on.

Oh, that explains a lot.

I've got my CPU slightly OC'd to 4.5Ghz, 16GB Ram DDR3-1600 not OC'd.

Yep, everything on max power settings, no ASW, Rift is the right guess.

My task manager shows me no more than 60% load on a single core while flying, GPU is at 95-100% load.

Maybe I should try it without OC and with OC'd Ram, just to make sure thats not the root cause.

Well your ram speed might be holding you back a little, but with your overclock on the cpu I would think you should have a smoother experience.\

On your Nvidia drivers, do you have them set for " application controlled"?

Also do you by chance have GeForce Experience installed?

And when you put that 1080 in, did you do a clean install of the drivers?

Edited by dburne