Stratman59

Mirrors, wow!

Playing last night and flew the Yak 1B and selected a rear view mirror, I set it to detailed expecting a slugfest in the VR but was amazed, hardly any drop in frame rate and the effect is like looking in a real mirror, wow, just wow, so cool in a dogfight.

Only tried it in a 1 v 1 situation so far so I hope it doesn't hit my FPS too much in more populated setups.  

Re- mirrors: I am delight to have them as an option butthey re more useful on some aircrft more than others. I can't see much use in the small ones on the P-40 for instance and I wonder if other VR users have found that the mirror on the Hs-129 to be pretty useless ( in seated position i cannot see athing and have to raise my head quite a bit just to see te top of the fuselge,)and since it does not show the verticle stabilizer unrealistic...

Re- mirrors: I am delight to have them as an option butthey re more useful on some aircrft more than others. I can't see much use in the small ones on the P-40 for instance and I wonder if other VR users have found that the mirror on the Hs-129 to be pretty useless ( in seated position i cannot see athing and have to raise my head quite a bit just to see te top of the fuselge,)and since it does not show the verticle stabilizer unrealistic...

it doesnt show the Vstab if you have them  set to simple in graphic settings, cranck the visuals up and you ll see it :D

mirrors are pretty useful for checking blind spots - yet I most times choose to fly without them

I find they have a downside as well, having a mirror can make you complacent about checking your six, with a false sense of security in believing that you'd see any attackers behind you on it.... but trust me, it's no substitute for keeping your head on a swivel.  

another downside (especially true on the spitfire)  is that they cover an area where the enemy would very likely be seen during a turning engagement - and if you don't have trackIR, that could be more than just a little inconvenience.  even if you do have trackIR, it increases the opportunity for a target to disappear from your sight nonetheless.  it only takes a split second, and gone!

but then again - just as frequently there have been cases where I saw an object darker than the sky flash past my mirror.  

once, with nary a thought I threw my plane into a rapid evasive maneuver - and found my attacker's tail right in front of me afterwards.  had I been looking around and seen him, most likely I'd have made a subtle movement of the controls that would have given away that I saw him coming, so he'd expect me to jink.

but the flash in the mirror allowed such an unexpected maneuver that I think none of the pilots involved (including me) quite understood what happened for a few moments after

nevertheless, most often I choose no mirror because I fear my GPU is a bit too ancient these days, and even though I have yet to notice any reliably consistent loss, I really prefer not to risk any fps drops whatsoever... even a subtle drop in performance can make you half-blind to motion, and everything just feels inexplicably clumsy and difficult then

Edited by 19//Moach

I was a skeptic but now am saved....  I am amazed at how little the mirror affects performance on my PC, and how convincing it is.  Once you get up to date with a new GPU (come on Santa) the immersion factor is terrific.

• Upvote 1