RedMedicine

Ground units disappearing in VR

So this is weird, but I'll try to keep it short and concise. Anything (bombs, trains, tanks, explosions) behind my field of view (let's just say about 180 degrees) will disappear completely. That means if I am circling an armored convoy, if I fly past and look over my shoulder, there will be nothing there. Pooof! Gone! This makes tracking targets especially difficult, and this has been an issue ever since the VR patch was instituted. It really only happens in VR.

Additionally, when I'm sitting on the taxiway in multiplayer, there is never anyone piloting the other planes sitting there with me. They're completely empty until they taxi a fair distance away from me.

Surely I'm not the only one having this issue? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. I will update this later with photos and video.

I see this behavior as well in VR, It does not always seem to only happen behind me though. Will recheck that but yeah, targeting a train I can see the smoke but often times the train cars are not showing and then will pop in..same with other ground objects. Ships I think are fine and do not do the same behavior.

Part of it may be that I have a hard time cranking my head around to see behind me (one of the reasons that I've been flying mostly twins with rear gunners in my VR tests so far), and part perhaps that the Bf-110 I was flying doesn't come around as quickly as some of the faster, single-engine fighter bombers might, but I tried to recreate this issue in a couple of test missions with my Bf-110 E-2 over Kuban map today and could not do it (looking only from in cockpit - did not check with external view to see what might be happening).  By the time I got to where I could see the ground targets I'd attacked, they were there.

Haven't tried sitting on the runway near other people/planes, so don't know if that would be happening on my rig or not.

I have seen this only when I maxed out the IPD to +70 or whatever is possible, and then turned the head around quickly over Stalingrad while there is battle raging down below. It only affected smoke of burning houses. Otherwise, I have not seen it. When I keep IPD at my natural 69 it will not happen.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

i get dissapearing targets in VR specially on ships. the ships dont dissapear but the turrets and AAA on them do.

Seems like IL-2's rendering routines are meant for a lower FOV on a monitor. Headsets may exceed that. OR and Vive have 110° FOV. Might explain what happens.

Edit: I had it as well at this time, after formating the computer I used OTT. Original message of Oct 18th:

It seems an engine issue, that decides on what to render in the arc in front around center vision. Maybe we should spam bug reports with this ?

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf

It seems an engine issue, that decides on what to render in the arc in front around center vision. Maybe we should spam bug reports with this ?

That would make sense.

I haven't noticed it myself though.

That would make sense.

I haven't noticed it myself though.

I really have not either. I don't fly near as many ground attack missions though as I do air-air combat.

I had this too and fixed it today.

I was using Oculus Tray Tool to define the super-sampling-value. I turnt it back to default and switched to SteamVR and changed SS there. Maybe this is the cause, or just correlation - it is fixed now. I suggest you simply try this. Good luck  :salute:

Interesting - that might explain why I've never noticed this problem - I never use OTT.

Interesting - that might explain why I've never noticed this problem - I never use OTT.

I have always used OTT with BoS, and I have never noticed the problem either.

Only way it would not be a correlation now is that the last time you started IL 2 via SteamVR, you used an SS setting similar to the one in OTT. Then the game didn't update the entry in file? Just speculation, because:

I just checked, OTT does not give SS for IL2 at all here. I used pixel density overlay to confirm it. It goes 1.01 in IL 2, when I enable SS in OTT. Disabling Asw also does not work via OTT. Other functions work, on OR home it works completely.

I use the latest version.

Just FYI.. Can you confirm this observation is not repeatable on your computer, by using pixel density overlay in ott, SS in ott, ss off in SteamVR?

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf

My wingmen will often disappear before they are out of eyeshot as well....

i get this too! and its why i stopped using the oculus without the facial interface to improve FOV. perohaps ill try no using OTT and see if i can get rid of the godrays once and for all  :biggrin:

That is really strange, can't say I have noticed any dissappearing ground targets or wingmen to date. Not to say I have not had that, just have not noticed it if I did.

For anyone that hasn't noticed this bug, I would be interested to see if you can replicate it with a small test.

Just go onto Wings of Liberty, select a 109 or Yak, and before you even start up just look over at any other plane. If you can't see the pilot, that's essentially the same bug.

Yep, just noticed for the first time yesterday. Corner of FOV, half track disappearing on edge of FOV when looking to and fro. Popping and out when I glance over at it

I got the same bug since Saturday (17.03) and I didn't change anything on my computer (it was running as expected since ever). Maybe Win 10 did some stuff? Now Objects simply disappear even when they're in front of me. I tried SteamVR and SteamVR beta, different Nvidia drivers, I even did a clean fresh installation of the game. Nothing has helped so far. 

Objects that are affected:

-Vehicles

-Tanks

-Artillery (note: the sandbags around the guns stay, the gun itself disappears)  

-Train wagons (note: the Locomotive never disappears)

-wrecks, fires, and smoke from destroyed objects

-parts falling of planes (like wings)

-I can kill invisible targets --> I see the explosion

-Invisible AAA shots at me --> I see traces coming out of empty fields

All of this never ever happened before Saturday.

Any help?

Hi, the problem is solved for me!

Solution: I did bound the joystick axis to "bow pilot head" (to aim the gunners with the joystick).

Effect: it will move the "Camera" but your actual view position is overrided by the VR headset. Internally you look somewhere else and the game does not render these object.

Just unbind the joystick from all camera / Pilothead controls and it's all good!

• Upvote 1

Hi, the problem is solved for me!

Solution: I did bound the joystick axis to "bow pilot head" (to aim the gunners with the joystick).

Effect: it will move the "Camera" but your actual view position is overrided by the VR headset. Internally you look somewhere else and the game does not render these object.

Just unbind the joystick from all camera / Pilothead controls and it's all good!

So, do I understand you properly that the problem of things disappearing was caused by the fact that you had previously bound "bow pilot head" to your joystick axis, and the solution was to unbind the joystick from those camera/pilot head commands?

If so, that might explain why I don't seem to have encountered this problem, given that I never bound those commands to my joystick.

Haven't had this issue until 3.001. Once ground vehicles have moved past the front 180 degree viewing arc of the plane the vehicles just disappear. I have removed all joystick AND mouse bindings to anything camera or head control related. Still have this issue.

Nevermind. I loaded an old controls file from before the upgrade, and whatever is setup there took care of the problem. Weird.

I am still having this issue myself I thought I unbinded all my pilot headlook keys, I'll take a look again, but this is happening as soon as I jump into a quick mission without touching anything, anything in my right lens to the far right will disappear while in view still. It's so strange, I had it go away once in multiplayer and it just came back for some reason. I can't figure it out. Sorry to res an old thread.

This is still going on and we haven't had any word on it? Stuff literally just keeps disappearing well into view in my right eye, does not happen to my left side, I've done everything I can think of to eliminate this problem, makes tracking a plane behind you when checking your six VERY hard when it's constantly disappearing and reappearing.

I have noticed something like this too. At the extreme edge of my Oculus, both left and right. With planes fiirst pilots and ordnance dissapear then the plane itself. With some planes, ju88, the jettisonable canopy dissapears as well. Ground targets are only visible in the front 45 degree arc or so. Easily reproducable with external camera.

Is this the same issue?

On 8/24/2018 at 2:37 AM, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

I have noticed something like this too. At the extreme edge of my Oculus, both left and right. With planes fiirst pilots and ordnance dissapear then the plane itself. With some planes, ju88, the jettisonable canopy dissapears as well. Ground targets are only visible in the front 45 degree arc or so. Easily reproducable with external camera.

Is this the same issue?

Might be, sounds like it, it's so weird I only get this problem out of my right side though, Like the lod FOV just needs to be slightly increased and it would go away. It's a pain since I use my right side to check my six the most and sometimes I a plane will be there but not able to be seen by me. It's why I keep going back to head tracking and then back to the rift and over and over, it's getting old, need to just stick with one thing.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, 392FS_Jred said:

Might be, sounds like it, it's so weird I only get this problem out of my right side though, Like the lod FOV just needs to be slightly increased and it would go away. It's a pain since I use my right side to check my six the most and sometimes I a plane will be there but not able to be seen by me. It's why I keep going back to head tracking and then back to the rift and over and over, it's getting old, need to just stick with one thing. 

Yea, it clearly has something to do with FOV. It's object culling. It's like the game is trying to unload "less important" objects (ie; ground units) when you start to look away... but with VR the FOV is pretty large so sometimes you're looking toward them and they're culled. The strange thing, it happens with artillery... but not the sandbags around it.

You can also REALLY EASILY demonstrate this by turning on target markers and simply looking around. I wonder if the devs are even aware..

8 hours ago, R3animate said:

Yea, it clearly has something to do with FOV. It's object culling. It's like the game is trying to unload "less important" objects (ie; ground units) when you start to look away... but with VR the FOV is pretty large so sometimes you're looking toward them and they're culled. The strange thing, it happens with artillery... but not the sandbags around it.

You can also REALLY EASILY demonstrate this by turning on target markers and simply looking around. I wonder if the devs are even aware..

It's a huge issue IMO. And it just continues to happen out of my right lense, it's like the culling fov is too far right cause if you look out the left they don't disappear in view, but on the right side they disappear before they are out of frame. It just makes checking your 6 even more annoying since planes can literally be invisible.