Sign in to follow this  
Stratman59

Playing VR without Steam?

When I load through Steam VR I keep getting the Steam VR loading screen popping up, as I didn't purchase through Steam (applied for a Steam Code later) I'm assuming I can but I have tried going to my Steam folder and finding the IL2.exe

but that doesn't work?  

Not sure I understand the starting sequence you're trying to use.  I just start BoS through the BoS launcher, and it starts up SteamVR automatically and I'm off and running (or flying) in VR. Neither Steam itself nor Oculus Home ever starts up, and the SteamVR stays "behind" BoS and I never see it.  I didn't purchase BoS through Steam and never try to play BoS through Steam.

Maybe if you could explain a bit more exactly what your startup procedure is it might shed more light on your issue.

Interesting, I purchased directly from 1CGS but then applied for a Steam code. I have to start Steam, then start Steam VR which automatically starts up Oculus home. What you're doing is what I'm wanting to do?  I'm wondering if I can install again without the Steam code? 

***sorry, my mistake, turns out I did purchase through steam, it was Kuban I bought directly*** Guess I'm stuck with starting with Steam. 

Edited by Stratman59

I think the game requires Steam VR (not the entire steam application) to be running.  As far as I can tell there is no way to launch it natively in the Oculus application only.  I can in fact launch it from the Oculus app, but it starts Steam VR as well.  If anyone can confirm this I'd like to know as well since I think better performance could be achieved without the extra overhead of Steam VR.

I think the game requires Steam VR (not the entire steam application) to be running.  As far as I can tell there is no way to launch it natively in the Oculus application only.  I can in fact launch it from the Oculus app, but it starts Steam VR as well.  If anyone can confirm this I'd like to know as well since I think better performance could be achieved without the extra overhead of Steam VR.

You can run  BoS in VR   without Oculus Home running, but it has to have Steam VR and will automatically launch Steam VR when launching the game. If it is the stand alone game ( non Steam version), Steam does not even have to be running - but Steam VR does and  will. No way around that currently, as BoS only supports Steam's Open VR standard.

I prefer having Oculus Home running as well, since I use the Oculus Tray Tool myself and it requires Oculus Home for it to apply the settings to my game profiles. In fact since the 1.17 Oculus Home update, it will add third party icons into Oculus Home so can be launched from inside Oculus Home whilst wearing the headset as well. But it still runs only through Steam VR.

Edited by dburne

I wish we had an Oculus only option..or option at all. I get better performance in title that use it vs SteamVR. 

I wish we had an Oculus only option..or option at all. I get better performance in title that use it vs SteamVR. 

Yes it would be nice if at some point in the future they could get direct Oculus support for BoS. Would also help get it more exposure to the Rift community as well. This game is the only reason I even have Steam VR installed, but it seems to run pretty good in it so I can't complain on that end.