indiaciki

I beg you - give us a Po-2

If all goes to plan you'll eventually get one. But won't know for a while if this plan will work as we are trying to use one of our contractors to build it. We'll build the FM. Absolutely no idea when this may be ready for release.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 41

Great I hope it will work. I need the Po-2 as AI plane for my Kuban night fighter campaign project.

Apart from the novelty factor, a complete waste of time and effort.

The subtleties that allowed the Po 2 to operate and might provide a compelling and entertaining story just don't exist in BoX.  Sorry Jason, that's just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 3

If all goes to plan you'll eventually get one. But won't know for a while if this plan will work as we are trying to use one of our contractors to build it. We'll build the FM. Absolutely no idea when this may be ready for release.

Jason

YES! YES! YES!

Thank you for considering this. We'll wait patiently for news about this.

The subtleties that allowed the Po 2 to operate and might provide a compelling and entertaining story just don't exist in BoX.  Sorry Jason, that's just my 2 cents.

Well, I'll buy it. Novelty is fine for me. Just have to hope there are enough folk here that think along the same lines.

Cheers.

• Upvote 3

I don't know how popular the Po-2 will be, but for mission builders like me it offers a lot of possibilities both as player plane and as AI. For example recon, artillery spotting, supply flights for partisans, transport, trainer, daylight bomber (early in the war), night bomber.

• Upvote 4

Gentlemen, be realistic - Po-2 and Fi156 are a dead meat when they will meet even any sigle Flak, or enemy fighter or even a bomber.

There are critical gaps in planeset in both sides, wich is need to be filled first of all:

soviet horisontal bomber for BoM/S/K (Il-4),

Soviet modern fighter for BoM (LaGG-3 series 4 or Yak-1 Series 20),

Soviet light assaultier for BoM/S/K (I-153),

German Divebomber for BoM (Ju87B), 

German heavy fighter for BoS (Bf110F-2),

german light assaultier for BoM/S/K (Hs123A-1)...

And even it will be a free time/resourses after all of that, co-billigent's/lendlease aircrafts would be nice to add:

-IAR80/81 for Luftwaffe

-Hurricane for VVS

• Upvote 9

i'm ok with the Po-2, next set of collector planes, Po-2 and Me 410 (because ZG 26 used them)

Gentlemen, be realistic - Po-2 and Fi156 are a dead meat when they will meet even any sigle Flak, or enemy fighter or even a bomber.

A very big part of the enjoyment of these sort of aircraft is the challenge of flying in such a way that you never have to meet any flak or fighters.

• Upvote 1

As much as I like the I-153, we really need more non-fighters in this sim. If not the Po-2, then at least an attack aircraft like the Su-2 or a level bomber like the IL-4.

• Upvote 1

Il-4 would be awesome but would require a lot more time and resources to develop, if this is to be a more "simple" plane. But if third party is doing it then they have to want to do it of course.

This is an experiment. If it works we can have them make more types of planes. Not all planes users want are easily made or possible. Po-2 and maybe the Storch or Fw-189 offer ability to loiter and call in Arty Strikes like we have in ROF. Anyways, we'll see what happens.

Jason

• Upvote 29

There are critical gaps in planeset in both sides, wich is need to be filled first of all:

And even it will be a free time/resourses after all of that, co-billigent's/lendlease aircrafts would be nice to add:

-IAR80/81 for Luftwaffe

-Hurricane for VVS

Thank you. I hope this is the direction the Devs take. The Po-2 would add so little. When that effort should really go to giving the VVS something like a DB-3 or Il-4.

Selfishly I would also add the Ju-87D5 ;)

• Upvote 1

As a VR user, it will be an instant purchase for me, if only to imagine how awesome VR would be in RoF ;)

I wouldn't entertain trying to attack objectives with it on the TAW server though lol.

• Upvote 1

If a 3rd party takes the load off the devs shoulders (minus the FM) I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered as a gap filler between bigger projects.

-IAR80/81 for Luftwaffe

-Hurricane for VVS

Even though I agree all of the mentioned aircraft are way more complicated than the Po-2 and thus less likely to be done by 3rd parties (which is as I understand it what this is all about).

• Upvote 1

This is an experiment. If it works we can have them make more types of planes. Not all planes users want are easily made or possible. Po-2 and maybe the Storch or Fw-189 offer ability to loiter and call in Arty Strikes like we have in ROF. Anyways, we'll see what happens.

Jason

Keep talking, this is GREAT news :)

I understand that this is something that might come at some point after BoK is wrapped up, but it's still something to look forward to.

• Upvote 1

Well, that was a surprise response from Jason.

I agree that it's a good test to see if that collaboration model works well.

Just stumbled over this thread. What a pleasant surprise! :) I would absolutely love to see stuff like the Po2 and the Storch! :cool:

• Upvote 1

I'm not that sure. In the old title we had them both and I remember how difficult it is to hit such a slow and tiny target, particularly if it's pilot is aware of your attack. You instinctly overshoot, again and again. It's almost easier to hit a jeep running and turning in full speed on the ground.

Remember, back in the day Soviet artillery generals were nicknamed "Gods of War". Though an artillery battery was not made to engage infantry face to face, their use could severely weaken the enemy - casualties, vehicle losses, morale.

The U-2 (its more common name, since it entered operations before lead designer names were incorporated into military designations), as the eyes of the artillery and in the simulator the ones calling the shots, will also be a God of War in our environment. If an U-2 is on your team, protect it and you'll be able to obliterate enemy defences close to the front. For its enemies, ignoring it means a rain of rockets and shells in the defensive emplacements, over tank and transport columns, shipping and even airfields. Same for the Rama.

• Upvote 1

If a 3rd party takes the load off the devs shoulders (minus the FM) I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered as a gap filler between bigger projects.

Even though I agree all of the mentioned aircraft are way more complicated than the Po-2 and thus less likely to be done by 3rd parties (which is as I understand it what this is all about).

Even if 3D model is more complicated, a model itself takes maximum 10% of needed time to make an aircraft in Il-2 BoX. Every aircraft in average, needs usually 3-4 month of daily hard programming/engineering of it's flight model. In general, there is not much difference when they built Bf109F-2 or Il-2 mod.1943. And to built an aircraft from scratch, it takes 1-2 month longer.

As a mission builder I heartily disagree. :)

edit:..and just the visceral feeling of flight you get with those crates would be worth the price of admission IMHO.

Edited by Gambit21

I still can't believe the selfishness of some people in this forum...

Jason, the man that makes things happen for this series and has literally (with his team) resurrected this game and put it right to the top of the tree again, tells us we may get the Po2 (and other asked for aircraft)... and lo and behold, people come out of the woodwork and tell him it's literally a waste of time and effort.

There are people in this forum who will try and ram their little vision of what they enjoy down our throats, sod everyone else who gets enjoyment with other avenues of WWII aviation... I would certainly love to have a bash at recon and artillery observation and control, with the challenge of trying to stay alive and return safely home.

It's not all about roaming the skies and trying to get kills online, at the same time massaging their penile stats extensions... Let others with with their own aspirations get a look in as well will you!

• Upvote 10

day 1 purchase for me! :D

would love a plane to call arty support with and excellent to have an experiment where 3rd party collaboration proves successful 

• Upvote 1

I could get onboard with a recon or spotter plane. One thing I would *really* like to see though is multi-player support for that feature via events. Doesn't this still hamper full use of the Ju-52 online? 

• Upvote 1

Jason

Excellent idea to actually look at other parties building for you as it would give the team more flexibility allowing them to focus on the next title while at the same time keeping those who like the Eastern theatre interested in what they currently have but allowing the plane set to expand and other roles to be investigated.  :salute:

Po-2, Fi-156 and Fw-189 are what most here have been requesting and bring a new challenge to the pilot as well as more varied roles. :cool:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

Absolutely first day purchase for me if realized. Really feel some more diverse planeset would add even more to the fun! And a bit of rof feeling as well.

• Upvote 1

IMO outsourcing planes' development (with rigorous specifications, of course) and concentrating on SP content is the way to go

If you can assure quality of the work and not have to "step in" too much to correct things, like has happened in other sims, but this team gives reason to be more optomistic in general.. :)

Absolutely first day purchase for me if realized. Really feel some more diverse planeset would add even more to the fun! And a bit of rof feeling as well.

Most of RoF aircrafts are faster then Po-2. Some of them - twice faster :)

Honestly I can't understand what some users are getting at, the Po-2 and Fw-189 would offer so much more to this sim than another fighter or bomber. Opening up a whole new recon focussed type of gameplay; marking targets on the map for bombers, dropping smoke, calling in artillery strikes.

I can see these aircraft adding far more to gameplay than another bomber would (and would probably take far less time to develop).

• Upvote 3

Remember, back in the day Soviet artillery generals were nicknamed "Gods of War". Though an artillery battery was not made to engage infantry face to face, their use could severely weaken the enemy - casualties, vehicle losses, morale.

The U-2 (its more common name, since it entered operations before lead designer names were incorporated into military designations), as the eyes of the artillery and in the simulator the ones calling the shots, will also be a God of War in our environment. If an U-2 is on your team, protect it and you'll be able to obliterate enemy defences close to the front. For its enemies, ignoring it means a rain of rockets and shells in the defensive emplacements, over tank and transport columns, shipping and even airfields. Same for the Rama.

To be fair, Po-2 wasnt used as artillery spotter (because of its extreme vulnerability, to even small-arms fire from ground). Liason, light night bomber. Light partisan-supply aircraft. And of course, it was the only first trainer for all soviet pilots.

Honestly I can't understand what some users are getting at, the Po-2 and Fw-189 would offer so much more to this sim than another fighter or bomber. Opening up a whole new recon focussed type of gameplay; marking targets on the map for bombers, dropping smoke, calling in artillery strikes.

I can see these aircraft adding far more to gameplay than another bomber would (and would probably take far less time to develop).

On soviet side, Su-2 was used for frontline recoon for first half of war, and Il-2 KR for second half of war. Never heard of Po-2 as artillery spotter, really.

• Upvote 1

-IAR80/81 for Luftwaffe

-Hurricane for VVS

I agree with you totally that there are gaps and these aircraft would help to fill them. However, if the Po-2 comes along first then I'm not going to turn it down. Also, it's being made by 'contractors' - if it works, and sells, then who knows what's next? Perhaps it's another old ratty biplane - the I-153. So don't turn your nose up at the Po-2, please. It might be the start of something big.

Cheers.